• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Rumors: French Magazine with Kazunori Yamauchi reveals...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
cilonen said:
Very interesting read. I noted in TDU that you can't custom paint any Ferrari machinery. I'd be willing to bet it's them who won't let you upgrade too.

I can knd of see the manufacturers point about not being misrepresented, but when in real life you have people willing to do this kind of thing:

172778728_f0dda15103.jpg

it's kind of a moot point.

I appreciate driving games where i get to buy a car to the exact manufacturer's specs and choose from their color charts, but I'd also like to buy a model where I can customise it.

On the Forza boards, IIRC, we fingered that company as BMW that was really anal. American brands in addition to Toyota sees their cars wrecked every sunday in Nascar and every Nascar game I know of has an extensive damage model.

Aisenherz

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
56 employees worked on modeling GT4, and that was enough for them because they were able to reuse a lot of assets from GT3. Car models for GT5 have been in development since late 2004, which has given PD quite a lot of time. Right now, I'm almost certain that there are just about 100 people working on the car modeling aspect of the game (a lot of people are also hired and others are brought over from other studios temporarily), since it is at its most critical point of development. Over time, that number will dwindle as the game nears a higher rate of completion.
btw.: Even during GT4 development, POLYPHONY Digital had over 100 men and they still have!
This studio is a monster. SCEIs biggest studio! Kaz has a lot of power at the moment (inside of SCEI)

itsgreen

It is real nice, I might even buy a PS3 when the game comes out.

But are the features shocking? Meh, No.

Look at a game like Forza 2 and add 2 years development time, or atleast 1.... they should be able to do a lot more then now is possible.

It really would be a pain in the a*** negotiating with dozens upon dozens of legal teams. And I guess the thing is, if only one manufacturer disagrees, the whole thing is bust.

StuKen

WHOAguitarninja said:
No it didn't.

Car manufacturers aren't going to allow ANYTHING into the game that makes the car seem unsafe. That's why you don't see damage (on production cars) that destroys the frame of the car, that's why you don't see cars flipping, and that's why it's such a pain to even get any damage at all.

how about side grinding?

Yamauchi personally addressed the issues of cars flipping in game. He has said he will do it when the technology can handle it.

He came under criticism when Rally mode was added to GT2 but it didn't allow cars to roll.

Once you get the majority of manafacturers on board with the idea of damage modelling then the few stubbourn ones will fold. Ferrari are very cagey about crashes.. they won't allow on of their cars to be towed away on a open air pick up truck because they feel it damages their reputation.
They'll actually pay for a closed truck to pick it up.

Simulation games like Colin McRae, F1:CE, TOCA and the like allow it. Real life racing is hardly without it's crashes- they need to let go on this one.

I can't wait to smash up some cars in my TVR.

I'm going to have to say that if they are aiming for 12-20 people online then theres no way the cars are all going to maintain gt:hd visuals 100%, maybe pretty close but I don't think there going to get too many cars that detail in runtime.

Race car damage sounds like only the already race ready cars like touring cars and p1 supercars with decals can get it, whats an improvement at least.

Does this mean we get 80 different models of the skyline?

Diablohead said:
I'm going to have to say that if they are aiming for 12-20 people online then theres no way the cars are all going to maintain gt:hd visuals 100%, maybe pretty close but I don't think there going to get too many cars that detail in runtime.

I've seen this said before, but I've yet to see it substantiated in any technical terms. I mean, GT:HD isn't a target render, it's an actual alpha. These are the spec models they've set out to work with. I don't see a reason to doubt PolyD's chops here.

Ramenman

So Joypad has a new formula again ?

Or did they just redesign the logo ?

And since when do they have world exclusives ?

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I've seen this said before, but I've yet to see it substantiated in any technical terms. I mean, GT:HD isn't a target render, it's an actual alpha. These are the spec models they've set out to work with. I don't see a reason to doubt PolyD's chops here.
It could be correct but personally I can't see 12+ of those detailed cars running side by side without either being 30fps or something being toned down.

jon61586

hukasmokincaterpillar said:

But wasn't GT:HD just with one car? With nothing else running in the background?

Ramenman said:
So Joypad has a new formula again ?

Or did they just redesign the logo ?

And since when do they have world exclusives ?

Hey, a Portuguese Magazine got a World Exclusive on the new Nights game. Anything is possible. It was also a french TV that got the world exclusive of the cockpit view in GT5

Diablohead said:
It could be correct but personally I can't see 12+ of those detailed cars running side by side without either being 30fps or something being toned down.

Something will be cut ebfore that happens. People wonder why online in GT4 was cut, but that's the reason, it cut the framerate to 30fps and Kaz wasn't willing to release it at that quality. He said after GT3 that GT's must be 60fps.

Aisenherz

Banned
Diablohead said:
Oh dear, you have no idea

Pimpwerx

jon61586 said:
But wasn't GT:HD just with one car? With nothing else running in the background?
It's a demo running at 60fps almost a year ahead of time. I think the engine has a lot of optimization left to go. With LOD taken into effect, it shouldn't be a major problem. PEACE.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Aisenherz said:
btw.: Even during GT4 development, POLYPHONY Digital had over 100 men and they still have!
This studio is a monster. SCEIs biggest studio! Kaz has a lot of power at the moment (inside of SCEI)

Not all of those guys are part of the graphics development team. But yes, PD is absurdly huge.

sif

Pimpwerx said:
It's a demo running at 60fps almost a year ahead of time. I think the engine has a lot of optimization left to go. With LOD taken into effect, it shouldn't be a major problem. PEACE.

That's the thing: even at the start of a race (which is where all cars will be closest to each other), not more than 6 or so cars will even be visible at once, LOD and culling could be utilised very heavily to effectively only render maybe half the total number of polygons pre-LOD in any one frame, whilst maintaining a level of detail that would appear no different because of the distance from the camera and lack of visibility of the other cars.

I mean if you look at F1 on PS3, it has dynamic weather, 22 cars on track (11 different ones), some of the best graphics in a game ever and more extensive damage than most simulators. OK it might only be 30fps but do not forget it is a launch game and Polyphony Digital have aready been working on GT5 for two and a half years, with at least another year of development to go.

As far as car modelling is concerned, the modelling for GT3/4 might well have been done to GT:HD/GT5 levels and then just normal mapped back from 100,000+ polygons down to the 5,000 or so of GT4. In this case it is conceivable that all the exterior modelling was largely already done when GT4 went gold and just needs the new cars doing as well as interiors. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I get the impression from Kaz and Sony that PS3 GT was planned for way ahead of time and that kind of foresight could have massively simplified the development of the game. It would also tally with the lack of new things added to GT4 releative to GT3.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Agent Icebeezy said:
1 manufacturer =! all manufacturers

This can best describe the attitude car manufacturers have towards games.

Dan Greenawalt - Head guy on Forza 2

Exactly. Now imagine this on a scale that's 3-4 times larger (Gran Turismo) and imagine the shit Sony has to go through when developing a new GT game with new hopes, only to be limited by overly stringent manufacturers.

Aisenherz

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Not all of those guys are part of the graphics development team. But yes, PD is absurdly huge.
I'm talking about the whole TEAM! POLYPHONY Digital is gigantic.
AND they have an awesome AWESOME studio!!

RavenFox

Banned
God bless you Kazunori God bless you. I feel this will own my life when released. All Ferrari and changing weather conditions. *Lays back and daydreams*

h1nch

this is a day 1 purchase for me, but PD needs to address the career mode. its been the same shit for 4 iterations. for the love of god spice it up. add racing teams, throw some more RPGish elements in it, get rid of some of the lame ass races (vitz cup?) and oh yeah, please design a menu system that isn't completely awful. i hate that it takes 5 mins to enter a race because you have to navigate thru 900 screens with loading times in between.

Dali

sif said:
As far as car modelling is concerned, the modelling for GT3/4 might well have been done to GT:HD/GT5 levels and then just normal mapped back from 100,000+ polygons down to the 5,000 or so of GT4. In this case it is conceivable that all the exterior modelling was largely already done when GT4 went gold and just needs the new cars doing as well as interiors. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I get the impression from Kaz and Sony that PS3 GT was planned for way ahead of time and that kind of foresight could have massively simplified the development of the game. It would also tally with the lack of new things added to GT4 releative to GT3.

I don't think normal mapping was used in GT4 for the simple fact that it wasn't mentioned until Path of Neo and then it was yelled from the mountaintops that PS2 could do normal mapping. If normal mapping was used in GT4 a big deal would have been made of it.

Madman

MickeyKnox said:
DUN DUN DUNN!!
So he confirms that there will be a game that comes out between GT4 and 5, wth? GTHD resurrected?
Isn't that going to be GT Concept, and isn't it supposed to be released by fall?

As far as the article and GT5, the wait would be too long if it came out next week.

Madman

Diablohead said:
I don't doubt PD. Look what they did with GT4 on the PS2.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yoboman said:
Oh jesus why are you here?

I've seen this guy on other forums. He isn't good news, biggest Sony shill on Earth, ever. EVER. He's like the thousand Sony viral marketers this forum is supposed to have compressed into one person.
So true. :lol

On topic.. Wait, what? The mag is basically the French version of EDGE? Wouldn't Future Publishing share interviews between all their mags? It doesn't make sense to let one have the 'exclusive' when you have other magazines you could put it in also.

I really really hope it's true though. :) When does the magazine usually release?

ThirdEye

SolidSnakex said:
Something will be cut ebfore that happens. People wonder why online in GT4 was cut, but that's the reason, it cut the framerate to 30fps and Kaz wasn't willing to release it at that quality. He said after GT3 that GT's must be 60fps.
Was the GT4 online beta 30fps?

Sirolf

I just bought JOYPAD and i can confirm this is all-true.
There are four new(but tiny) pics :
-a cockpit view from an Audi TT(Totally photorealistic :O)
-a pic from the 300SL (full exterior view)
-another shot from the cockpit of the 300SL (Polyphony artists am God total)
-AND the first shot ever from the nürburing (The trees are really good!)

And sorry my scanner is broken :( .Ii will try to make some tomorrow at work.

And the big news from the article : FULL HD GT4 is not dead!!
-Release date is not determined yet ( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

-Two versions (same versions as the original plan from last year) :classic and premium
* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat
* Spectator mode (à la PGR3)
* Possibility to create Clubs

-Test playground for the future GT5

And..that's all :)

jett

D-Member
And the big news from the article : FULLHD GT4 is not dead!!
-Release date is not determined yes( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

-Two versions (same versions as the original plan from last year) :classic and premium
* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat

darthvadernooooooo.jpg

Sirolf

Forsete said:
Cool. :D

So the ring looks like a total remake and not just a GT4 port?

Total remake,Forsete :)
From the tiny pic,you could clearly see that (with some great textures)
Yamauchi just told the reporters that it is very early and the buildings are partially implemented ATM.

Anzu

Banned
Sirolf said:

-Release date is not determined yet ( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat

What does that mean? GT4 with GTHD graphics or something?

Oh and thread title change please.

I like Gran Turismo a lot Sony, but I'm not going to buy several editions.

I will buy GT5. You're only delaying the purchase of a PlayStation 3 with all this crap that we've played before.

I also think GT4 was developed in mind for a Full HD release, there is probably little to no work involved in terms of modelling. This is pretty much just a cash in- and they're also putting themselves in a bad position if they're going to give away 700+ cars for $60 then try and microtransaction a large portion of GT5.

Forsete

Sirolf said:
Total remake,Forsete :)
From the tiny pic,you could clearly see that (with some great textures)
Yamauchi just told the reporters that it is very early and the buildings are partially implemented ATM.

I said wow. :D

Thanks, Floris.

Greg

Visualante said:
I like Gran Turismo a lot Sony, but I'm not going to buy several editions.

I will buy GT5. You're only delaying the purchase of a PlayStation 3 with all this crap that we've played before.
Sure, we've played it before, but crap?

Sirolf said:

-750 cars

-50 circuits

* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat

So did the original translation get confused between GT4 HD and GT5 or does GT5 have all the tracks and cars of GT4.

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
Visualante said:
Is this the French localisation of EDGE? (Future is the same publisher)

If true then perhaps EDGE has a GT5 exclusive.

Joypad is not the french localisation of Edge, even if they've got the same publisher... And they've got the same publisher, that's why Joypad can report every month some article of Edge (with french translation).

Joypad is an old and very famous videogame magazine here in France, maybe it was the best in the 90'.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Sirolf said:

-750 cars

-50 circuits

* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat

scans, now.

Do you use a USB interface for the scanner? Try unplugging the USB cable from the computer and jacking it into another USB port. My scanner was having some problems and I did that and it started working!

Pimpwerx

Shit. Maybe the full library of cars and the 12-20 car fields are for Classic and not Premium. If Premium is gonna remain a single-car affair, then they might as well can it. Sorry, but that's just bait and switch, IF IT'S THE CASE. No point in jumping to conclusions just yet, but I'm not getting the OMG vibe anymore. There's a bit of consternation now. Anyway, I'll wait and see. I'm hoping for the best. I want to see some pics, dammit. PEACE.

Top Bottom