• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you totally missed the point

Do you not understand that text can easily be misconstrued because you can't hear the tone behind it? This is practically digital communication 101 at this point. It's really not a big deal, shit happens, and getting all uppity about it really doesn't mean anything. Just take the lesson to heart and remember it for next time.

And people are allowed to cut contact with others for whatever reason they desire, regardless if it's dating or not. Try to remember that too.

This will probably be my last post in this thread.

Of course I understand that text can be misconstrued. But what's to misconstrue about my text? Her text was much worse than mine, and I went with it. Mine was a simple question you could take any direction, it wasn't offensive, wasn't rude, wasn't anything. You could even easily shrug it off, considering my follow up question. It was what my natural reaction was, in person I would have said the same thing. I doubt 100% it was the text or my fault. Maybe she has problems? I'm much more upset at Gaf than anyone ignoring me. I've been ignored before, i'll be ignored again. I don't mind. I ignore people myself. I don't know why i'm being treated like an idiot, maybe you guys are just simpletons. Have at least a little respect or even some empathy for the people posting in this thread regardless how serious the issue or simple the plight. Try to remember that too. 🙃

Of course I understand that text can be misconstrued. But what's to misconstrue about my text? Her text was much worse than mine, and I went with it. Mine was a simple question you could take any direction, it wasn't offensive, wasn't rude, wasn't anything. You could even easily shrug it off, considering my follow up question. It was what my natural reaction was, in person I would have said the same thing. I doubt 100% it was the text or my fault. Maybe she has problems? I'm much more upset at Gaf than anyone ignoring me. I've been ignored before, i'll be ignored again. I don't mind. I ignore people myself. I don't know why i'm being treated like an idiot, maybe you guys are just simpletons. Have at least a little respect or even some empathy for the people posting in this thread regardless how serious the issue or simple the plight. Try to remember that too. 🙃

This isn't directed at you, by the way, but I wanted to take the bolded portion and use it as a springboard. It's absolutely true that those of us who've been here for a while become frustrated by certain basic questions, but it's also true that gaiages threw together a fucking awesome OP that really, every new poster should read.

I agree that empathy should go both ways, though.

I think it's also true that the redpill bullshit has people on edge, and I know that I definitely felt like "wtf happened to the thread this weekend," but that's admittedly a cyclical thing. Either way, I think it's time to highlight a truism:

Discrete, answerable questions are better for soliciting advice. For instance: "Which picture is better?" Well, props to Jezebel for an easy, actionable thing to assess. Even Peltz's saga, while far more complicated, has a thesis ("Do I have commitment issues and how do I resolve them?").

Conversely, there's like, fucking nothing we can do with "No one will want me."

On your end, Skid, it's appreciated that you had a direct question, although like I mentioned before, it's those unwritten rules that those of us here, to varying degrees, understand. I keep mentioning that I'll compile them. Maybe I will for the next OT.

Her message was odd - what prompted her to say that? I feel we're missing something. Wasn't it something about wetting your pants?
But instantly shooting back something confrontational makes you seem like you're not a chill guy and that you will blow up at anything. And guess what? Your posts here demonstrate that as well. Not everything is an affront to you. Learn to chill a bit and you'll enjoy life more.

Baki

Are there any older guys here in their mid 20s? How limited are you're dating options at that age compared to when you were 19-21?

Much more dating options now....

It also helps that my age has come with career success and confidence

I don't know why i'm being treated like an idiot, maybe you guys are just simpletons. Have at least a little respect or even some empathy for the people posting in this thread regardless how serious the issue or simple the plight. Try to remember that too. 🙃

Wow,short tempered and aggressive confirmed. Looks like that woman was right to ghost you.

Man, the whiny, overly aggressive, self pitying asses sure are coming out in force this year huh...

Wasn't this bad last year, back then it was only Ray Wonder and his song-writing nonsense...simpler times.

FyreWulff

Her message was odd - what prompted her to say that? I feel we're missing something. Wasn't it something about wetting your pants?
But instantly shooting back something confrontational makes you seem like you're not a chill guy and that you will blow up at anything. And guess what? Your posts here demonstrate that as well. Not everything is an affront to you. Learn to chill a bit and you'll enjoy life more.

according to hist post his first text to her was basically "i see you actually gave me you real number" which you know, is probably one of the most demeaning and creepy ways to start off a conversation after someone gives you their number.

getting a real "mmm charrlles the peons have disrespected my invocations" vibe

calling posters in the thread simpletons for not getting his vast social dictionary and not gladhanding his attitude just seals it

people are not obligated to entertain you or keep talking to you at any point. a girl giving you their number does not obligate any further contact (protip, women often give their number to just get out of the situation because saying no can get them attacked) . you could go on a date and they can not talk to you again. dating isn't a fucking contract nor an obligated audience, and acting like a dullard after being given a number either makes you look like an asshole or desperate.

Is it though? From what's posted, he poked fun himself (assuming that's true, I think it might have been unintentional), that's where her response came from. His response to that was rather than continuing and turning it into a date/fuck session was to assume she was mocking him...

The pants are wet comment...there are so many directions to go, but he chose to go in the are you mocking me direction. She might have been down for some quick fun, realised he's not entirely stable and bailed.

Gonna introduce my girlfriend to my roommates today. Wish me luck.

This never happened
A) my best friend outright said he never wants to meet her and is "infuriated" I'm pushing the issue.

B) other roommate was hanging out with his other friends

C) the girl was super tired and felt like shit, so she didn't want to meet them today.

Oh well. I don't get to see her at all for the next few days. She is going to be super busy with with work and will have to pull an extra day on Saturday. She has to work until 8 on friday, but she wants to get a hotel so we can hang out.

In her words, "I think it would be really cool to sleep next to you". I think she's being pretty literal though. She also made the comment "I'm not ready to go all the way with you yet."

Either way, it'd be pretty nice. We had a great day today.

This
A) my best friend outright said he never wants to meet her and is "infuriated" I'm pushing the issue.

C) the girl was super tired and felt like shit, so she didn't want to meet them today.

Oh well. I don't get to see her at all for the next few days. She is going to be super busy with with work and will have to pull an extra day on Saturday. She has to work until 8 on friday, but she wants to get a hotel so we can hang out.

In her words, "I think it would be really cool to sleep next to you". I think she's being pretty literal though. She also made the comment "I'm not ready to go all the way with you yet."

Why does this even have to be a thing? If she's there, and your roommate is there too, you introduce them.
Also aren't your roommates a bunch of wackos, anyway?

artsi

Terry-Crews-WTF.gif

Dude, I think you might need a new best friend, lol.

I mean, jesus, god damn.

Yeah, that all seems odd. I've met friend's girlfriends before. It's the easiest thing in the world. Because most of it of just you talking to your friend and their girlfriend talking to them. It's like meeting someone via proxy.

This

Are we still on this crazy roommate issue? Damn, son, you need to kick him out or get out of there.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Man, the whiny, overly aggressive, self pitying asses sure are coming out in force this year huh...

Wasn't this bad last year, back then it was only Ray Wonder and his song-writing nonsense...simpler times.

Yeah! At least I'm charmingly hopeless :(

At this point the only appropriate bizzaro world escalation from this would be to shit on his pillow.

You weren't hopeless, you were just far too invested in one person and refused to listen to any advice, which is a damn sight better than what's coming through now.

The self loathing, posting pics of handsome dudes to try and make some ridiculous point, acting like an idiot and then lashing out at people who are just trying to help, seeing everything as a confrontation that demands an aggressive response with passive aggressive use of emojis.

I won't even go into the red pill horseshit, but I guess that comes as part of the package when you've convinced yourself you're a hideous cunt who is going to die alone because women are stuck up bitches who have unrealistic standards, which conveniently fails to take into account that most of us aren't exactly stunningly handsome fuckers and yet we're still dating/getting married/having fulfilling relationships.

I mean look at Count and Zackie..you'd think they'd be enough to convince anyone looks aren't everything.

You weren't hopeless, you were just far too invested in one person and refused to listen to any advice, which is a damn sight better than what's coming through now.

The self loathing, posting pics of handsome dudes to try and make some ridiculous point, acting like an idiot and then lashing out at people who are just trying to help, seeing everything as a confrontation that demands an aggressive response with passive aggressive use of emojis.

I won't even go into the red pill horseshit, but I guess that comes as part of the package when you've convinced yourself you're a hideous cunt who is going to die alone because women are stuck up bitches who have unrealistic standards, which conveniently fails to take into account that most of us aren't exactly stunningly handsome fuckers and yet we're still dating/getting married/having fulfilling relationships.

I mean look at Count and Zackie..you'd think they'd be enough to convince anyone looks aren't everything.

Truth nukes being dropped today.

Salamando

It goes the other way too - plenty of people have come through with good looks and huge issues. Jason's Ultimatum was damn near a male model, yet he's the reason this is OT$6.

Chart the self-confidence against appearance of this thread, it would be a scatter plot.

gaiages

Banned
I do much better with angry face than I do with a smile.

My resting bitch face looks a lot more natural than when I try to smile in pictures, imo

But then again, my RBF is why everyone thinks I hate them irl >.>

The struggle

Yeah him jumping on people when they didn't agree with him says a lot more about how he might some off in a normal text more than the actual text transcript he provided us...

lol at being upset at the hivemind that is GAF

Is your best friend secretly gay for you?

No, his best friend is literally a sociopath and there's plenty of threads about it over the years

Yeah, Ray Wonder's whole "I'll show you all, this is different!" saga was a little frustrating at the time, but endearing. He was learning.

Why all the PUAs and redpillers are showing up in the thread now... all I can say is 2017, huzzah :|

How you all telling redpillers apart?
My resting bitch face looks a lot more natural than when I try to smile in pictures, imo

But then again, my RBF is why everyone thinks I hate them irl >.>

The struggle
I instantly freeze up when taking a picture so people have to distract me into not taking one. Otherwise I'll look like a scared deer.

Is your best friend secretly gay for you?

Lol hardly. He has some pretty fucked up issues with regards to seeing other people in relationships. He wants one more than anything in the world
In any case, he's made it abundantly clear he's about done with me, so he's not really my best friend anymore.

Are we still on this crazy roommate issue? Damn, son, you need to kick him out or get out of there.

Well... he was on board. And then all of a sudden he wasn't again

Neoweee

I don't get Coffee Meets Bagel. Am I supposed to work with 6 or so bagels a day? Some of which I might not even like? That seems incredibly slow.

Slow, but a higher match rate based on the city.

What are your criteria? It always shows me the max 21 matches per day (no real criteria other than a reasonable age bracket, in Chicago, early 30s.)

Neoweee

Sorry to interrupt your Tinder discussion, but I'm a bit at loss here: Iranian girl, liberal Muslim, came here (Germany) for her Masters, in a LDR with her boyfriend in Iran, will stay at least another 2-3 years. We hit off really well, but I'm getting mixed signals leaning towards "just friends" (like 80:20).

a) Should I even bother?
b) How big of a douche move would it be?
c) How do you even ask a girl you know is in a relationship out without sounding like a complete asshole?
d) What does it say about me that I'm even asking those questions? (You don't have to answer that one...)

Chat her up. You won't be a douche. People in grad school tend to be really busy, and using an LDR as a holding pattern / low-maintenance relationship isn't really uncommon.

gaiages

Banned
How you all telling redpillers apart?

I instantly freeze up when taking a picture so people have to distract me into not taking one. Otherwise I'll look like a scared deer.

From normal posters? It's pretty easy, they tend to have bad/sexist views of women ("they only like money if you're not hot enough") and are rather aggressive in all of their interactions/stories here ("how dare I get ghosted")

From normal posters? It's pretty easy, they tend to have bad/sexist views of women ("they only like money if you're not hot enough") and are rather aggressive in all of their interactions/stories here ("how dare I get ghosted")
I tend to see those as frustrated men who haven't necessarily gone down the rabbit hole that is redpilling.

Lol you aren't a victim here. People told you where they feel you went wrong. If you don't wanna hear it don't post then but no one is gonna censor themselves for you. And you aint even get it anything close to bad lol. Basically kid gloves compared to some of stuff that gets said.

"Are you mocking me" is poor form in text. There is no tone in text messages. Her message was weird but it isn't being roasted because you still responded so it ultimately doesnt matter. You are annoyed she gave you her number than ghosted you. We think your response was off putting. Take it or leave it. Maybe 100 other things were the reason she didn't respond but hey bruh, we aint got that, we just got your version so dont get pissy at us.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Series of events seems to prove their point though
  • Comes off as easily put on edge and confrontational
  • Gets told that he comes off as easily put on edge and confrontational
  • Proves that he is easily put on edge and confrontational

Lol hardly. He has some pretty fucked up issues with regards to seeing other people in relationships. He wants one more than anything in the world

Does he need to be such a fucking brat about it?

In any case, he's made it abundantly clear he's about done with me, so he's not really my best friend anymore.

Nothing of value was lost

Well... he was on board. And then all of a sudden he wasn't again

He aint need to be on board. His feelings on the matter are irrelevant. I hope yee aint tell him bout no tongue feeling thoough, then he may have a point lmao.

Peltz

Series of events seems to prove their point though
  • Comes off as easily put on edge and confrontational
  • Gets told that he comes off as easily put on edge and confrontational
  • Proves that he is easily put on edge and confrontational
Lol. This is list is gold.

Daedardus

This thread is going places, lol.

Does anyone know how to best help a friend after she's found out her ex-boyfriend had been cheating repeatedly on her but only knew half a year after they broke up? They were together for a long time and I feel like she's been improving in the past month since she knew, but does anyone have advice how to best deal with the situation.

Peltz

This thread is going places, lol.

Does anyone know how to best help a friend after she's found out her ex-boyfriend had been cheating repeatedly on her but only knew half a year after they broke up? They were together for a long time and I feel like she's been improving in the past month since she knew, but does anyone have advice how to best deal with the situation.

Just give her time. The healing doesn't happen over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom