• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Voidguts

imax/real3d stuff can potentially get your account banned. moviepass clearly states it's for 2D material, take it for what it is.

Luke_Wal

Activated and used my Pass for the first time tonight - saw mother! and couldn't believe how easily it work. Movie was totally fine.

joeposh

Activated and used my Pass for the first time tonight - saw mother! and couldn't believe how easily it work. Movie was totally fine.

Today was my first outing with MoviePass as well. Saw IT and was impressed that the card was instantly loaded with the necessary amount. It worked exactly as advertised, and I earned points with my new Regal Crown Club card. Will probably go back to watch Dunkirk tomorrow.

The theater I'll probably be generally going to has a rewards thing too but it I've never done anything with it because from what I can tell it's tied to gift cards or something. >_>

Latest ________ from Mitch Lowe's(CEO) Twitter:

When asked about the dates the backlog consists of:

So some of the people that signed up between the 15th-20th might have to wait almost 2 months for their cards? It seems like MoviePass is like we know we fucked up with that group of people on the backlog, but lets get out the newer people out first since they are not pissed at us yet. There is zero defense that they are not focusing on the backlog orders first. Complete bullshit.

I was going to charge back my charges, but now it is almost a game. I want to see how long it takes them to get us our cards. They keep moving the goal post for delivery, will they move it again?

lush

So some of the people that signed up between the 15th-20th might have to wait almost 2 months for their cards? It seems like MoviePass is like we know we fucked up with that group of people on the backlog, but lets get out newer people out first since they are not pissed at us yet. There is zero defense that they are not focusing on the backlog orders first. Complete bullshit.

I was going to charge back my charges, but now it is almost a game. I want to see how long it takes them to get us our cards. They keep moving the goal post for delivery, will they move it again?
At this point I'm just happy my status switched to "Card Processing" so I can at least give up on excitedly checking the mail/looking at Informed Delivery.

But yeah, there's no real excuse at this point, especially for their absolutely terrible communication. This isn't some new startup and I feel pretty confident any random on the street would've been able to estimate that there'd be an insane amount of interest at that price point.

I used it for the first time this past weekend. My local theater was bought out by AMC and completely renovated it over the summer. The pass worked like a charm, except the app showed movies that weren't playing in my theater

old

I really want to sign up but I'm guessing it's still over a month wait for the card?

Good news for you. It sounds like they're dicking over "backlog" customers like me to put new customers like you at the front of the queue.

Guess they'd rather have just one pissed off customer than two.

At this point I'm just happy my status switched to "Card Processing" so I can at least give up on excitedly checking the mail/looking at Informed Delivery.

I checked mine yesterday and it still said shipped which it has said since August 24th). I just checked it, and it now shows 'Card Processing'. I guess they really never shipped it.

So this shows up with a tracking number on Informed Delivery? That is good to know.

Guess they'd rather have just one pissed off customer than two.

Exactly.

Bookoo

There are so many bugs with this system that work out in my favor, but they probably need to fix.

I went to the movies and bought 2 tickets and figured I would just pay the difference. Well since there was a deal on Tuesday for $7 dollar tickets it covered both tickets. Another time I bought 3 tickets ($39) and it covered $16.80.

oh shit my shit says Card processing now. It's been a month literally. FFS

Don't fret. Mine has been "Card Shipped" for over a week, switched to "Card Processing" yesterday, but my card is getting delivered today.

There are so many bugs with this system that work out in my favor, but they probably need to fix.

I went to the movies and bought 2 tickets and figured I would just pay the difference. Well since there was a deal on Tuesday for $7 dollar tickets it covered both tickets. Another time I bought 3 tickets ($39) and it covered $16.80.

Pretty sure you are only supposed to buy 1 ticket at a time with your MoviePass card. Buying more than 1 might be a TOS violation. (Not that they have the time or manpower to deal with enforcing that right now, lol)

Bookoo

Pretty sure you are only supposed to buy 1 ticket at a time with your MoviePass card. Buying more than 1 might be a TOS violation. (Not that they have the time or manpower to deal with enforcing that right now, lol)

Oh really I didn't know it was actually in the TOS. I was reading people on here talk about how great the card works and they just paid the difference when buying multiple tickets or concessions.

But I guess this is the reason they would do that because because it doesn't seem like they know the price they just put enough money on the card to cover the probable cost of the ticket.

You also agree to only activate your MoviePass for a single ticket purchase by Theater Check-in through the Site, and use your MoviePass at a ticket kiosk at your selected theater.

Woops...yea I guess i'll stop doing that. Although it seems like this is going to be a very easy way to take advantage of it.

Oh really I didn't know it was actually in the TOS. I was reading people on here talk about how great the card works and they just paid the difference when buying multiple tickets or concessions.

But I guess this is the reason they would do that because because it doesn't seem like they know the price they just put enough money on the card to cover the probable cost of the ticket.

As far as I am aware, anything that involves "paying the difference," including premium showings and buying multiple tickets, is a TOS violation. I could be wrong though.

Just checked my account and yep, it looks like I've lost points too. I'm stubs premier and dropped from 20something thousand to 19,000 and I just saw mother yesterday. Looks like they've caught on.

Update from this previous post.
My points have returned, I'm back to 24k points so I guess it was temporary.

CyReN

Reformatted my phone last night, tried Movie Pass today and it's asking if I have my card and I can't reserve movies...sweet!

meow

Are you all looking under "MoviePass Card" in the app to see card status? Mine has never said Processing or Shipping, I only have the actual card number (first 12 digits are blocked, only last four show up) and expiration date. I am one of the 15th people and I don't have my card yet.

dickroach

Are you all looking under "MoviePass Card" in the app to see card status? Mine has never said Processing or Shipping, I only have the actual card number (first 12 digits are blocked, only last four show up) and expiration date. I am one of the 15th people and I don't have my card yet.

I ordered on the 15th, for a few weeks I had the same thing where it showed the 12 numbers, but then that went away like two weeks ago and it just said "shipped" and then I got the card a week ago
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Compbros

Have you used eticketing?

Sean

Banned
Got a reply from AMC regarding the Stubs issue:

Hi Sean! Thank you for reaching out, our apologies for the confusion! Our system accidentally awarded guests an extra set of double points for some recent transactions, effectively awarding triple points. When we noticed our mistake, the extra set of points were removed – but don’t worry, the points for the original transaction and double points were not affected!

So it might not be a MoviePass specific block after all, but a general bug. Or maybe they're just using that as an excuse to save face, who knows. Can't say if they're telling the truth or not since I haven't paid close attention to my Stubs balance before, and their transaction history page is still completely broken...

What's odd is that the missing "extra" points have now been restored to my Stubs account - but judging from their response it's probably a bug/temporary thing. But it might be a good idea to activate any available rewards while you can before those points vanish again.

meow

I ordered on the 15th, for a few weeks I had the same thing where it showed the 12 numbers, but then that went away like two weeks ago and it just said "shipped" and then I got the card a week ago
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If it has to change to "Shipped" before getting it, I'm probably never getting it.

Have you used eticketing?
No...at least not intentionally or that I've known of lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tried to use it to no avail. Cards activated.

What's the step by step and how to make sure the theatre attendants know what's up.

I checked in but the attendant had no idea how to work it and I have no idea how this thing functions yet. I'm paying for it, that's for sure.

Tried to use it to no avail. Cards activated.

What's the step by step and how to make sure the theatre attendants know what's up.

I checked in but the attendant had no idea how to work it and I have no idea how this thing functions yet. I'm paying for it, that's for sure.
You just... Touch the time you want, the screen will say you have thirty minutes to buy your ticket, then you go into the theater and buy the ticket like you would normally but pay with the Moviepass like it's your credit card.
The attendant doesn't even have to know you're using it. To them it's just another credit card.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You just... Touch the time you want, the screen will say you have thirty minutes to buy your ticket, then you go into the theater and buy the ticket like you would normally but pay with the Moviepass like it's your credit card.
The attendant doesn't even have to know you're using it. To them it's just another credit card.
I did do it like that but it declined. And it did activate through the app.

I did do it like that but it declined. And it did activate through the app.

The amounts probably didn't match. You'll have to share the theater chain or whatever, and how much the ticket costs across different websites - fandango, atom, and the chain itself. If the amounts are different than MoviePass probably has bad data on how much the movie costs at that theater, and didn't load the right amount onto the card.

Its also considered a debit card, some kiosks/tellers will do it correctly and others may not be hitting the right buttons when doing the billing. Technically it should ask for your zip code when doing the transaction, but some theaters do and some don't. It works fine for me at AMC kiosks where it asks zip code and even if the amount loaded is wrong it still works and asks me to pay the extra 20 cents or $2 or whatever. At Regal kiosks it doesn't ask for zip code, and will fail (with no other options) if the amount loaded isn't the right amount but works the rest of the time just fine.

Its a bit of a kludge they honestly have to get the whole thing working, in an attempt to bypass working directly with movie chains. I'd just try a different theater/chain maybe and see if you have better luck. Don't close the app after you "checkin" with the app, you can cancel the 30 min timer by pressing the + button at the bottom of the Checkin screen, but if you close the app there is no way to get back to it and you have to just wait out the entire 30-45 mins to recheck in to a different movie.

hom3land

I've had a ticket open for 2 weeks regarding the app not working in my Nexus 6. Judging by reviews,I'm not the only one. Haven't heard a word. Since I can't use the app to access their chat I thought I'd just message them in Facebook asking someone to look into my ticket because at this point I just need to cancel my membership. So I sent a message and got an email almost instantly. A new ticket was automatically opened with the message I sent on Facebook..

old

How do you get suppot from these guys? I ordered my card a month ago and opened two support tickets.

I contacted their support through chat in their app on 9-12. They said they'd respond "shortly". I'm still waiting for them to reply.

Nekofrog

Banned
My card went from shipped to processing a few days ago, but today in my informed delivery there were two envelopes that looked like movie passes. I'll find out soon

louiedog

My card went from shipped to processing a few days ago, but today in my informed delivery there were two envelopes that looked like movie passes. I'll find out soon

This is the return address from mine.

6a7bdee2d8.jpg

Nuts2U

So, any reason why I can't select a movie time on the app and then buy it for the next day at the theater and then go back the next time and get a 2nd ticket to go with my wife? Seems like that should work to me, no?

Bii

So, any reason why I can't select a movie time on the app and then buy it for the next day at the theater and then go back the next time and get a 2nd ticket to go with my wife? Seems like that should work to me, no?

It works. <_<

Lucario

Getting "not a supported screening" for 70mm movies at the local 70mm theatre. Like, not just for first run or special events; all of their 70mm screenings. Same deal for some foreign language films.

They're 2D, and not IMAX or fathom event screenings, so it looks like they should be covered. Is this an unwritten policy or something?

Zoe

Getting "not a supported screening" for 70mm movies at the local 70mm theatre. Like, not just for first run or special events; all of their 70mm screenings. Same deal for some foreign language films.

They're 2D, and not IMAX or fathom event screenings, so it looks like they should be covered. Is this an unwritten policy or something?

Does it cost extra though?

Lucario

Does it cost extra though?

Looks like it's a $2.50 upcharge from their digital stuff. That explains it.

Foreign films not being covered, no clue. Some are same price as normal movies, some are even cheaper. One that's more expensive is bookable from the app.

70MM is considered large format and is not covered.

Shiiiit. Hopefully they bring back a subscription plan that covers this stuff soon. Most of the local theaters are foreign/arthouse/70mm, and now that I have my card it's looking like MoviePass pretty much only supports current run movies.

Still an unbelievable deal though, so I definitely see why they'd restrict the hell out of what you're allowed to see.

Top Bottom