• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEXICO EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: over 200 casualties, 44 building collapsed in Mexico City.

Chaplain

My cousin just let me know that his apartment building is beginning to collapse. He is attempting to save what he can.

ED Cantu

Damn! this one felt worse than the last one even though the magnitude was 7.1 this time.

There are some buildings with collapsed stories and other damages, there's a fire inside the WTC, the city definitely took it worse that the last one.

Rommel

It was fairly shallow quake too

619258.regional.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
It was weird timing. One of our offices in Mexico City was having an earthquake drill today, and literally 10 minutes after, the quake hit.

Luckily, all are accounted for and okay.

Lots of destruction confirmed. Schools, restaurants. Hopefully casualties will be low thanks to the drill that took place an hour before the earthquake.

SaintZ

Holy shit, I've never felt this kind of thing. It was surreal. The way cars were moving was something out of a movie. The main streets are a mess rn. Thank god everything around my area is in good shape.

brau

I hope all you guys and friends and family are ok. My brother and friends told me it felt pretty intense. Lots of fronts of buildings coming down. Watching those Twitter videos is insane. Keep safe you guys.

Chris R

The mythical Azteca Stadium :/

I'm pretty sure that was there before the earthquake??? You can see it on Google Maps for example, from a picture taken in 2015.

Seattle's stadium uses a similar design to reduce the strain on the stadium in case of an earthquake.

edit: https://imgur.com/WJuqIvU ya, that's not from the earthquake, it's how the stadium was designed.

PSqueak

Banned
It was weird timing. One of our offices in Mexico City was having an earthquake drill today, and literally 10 minutes after, the quake hit.

Luckily, all are accounted for and okay.

Coworker was telling me that she has family over there and it's customary of her relative's company to have a drill on the anniversary of the 85 quake and basically said the same, they had their drill and by the time the real quake hit everybody was already out.

Kickz

6.8 according to preliminary reports, but I believe it was a LOT more destructive. I can see from my window that some buildings collapsed and some caught fire.

Very sad :(

I thought rule #1 when Earthquake happens is to get outside, incase your building collapses>

brau

My brother says they are sending him home until they check the buildings to go back to work. Metro is closed. You guys keep your heads up and be safe.

Top Bottom