• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you disheartened by modern anime? Why havent you watched Ping Pong the Animation?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
No thanks, i'm not watching a ping pong anime no matter how good it might be.

I'm with you OP, Ping Pong is a Michelin star meal tucked away in a food court of junk anime.

I hope everyone tries to give it a chance because it really deserves your attention.

Jarate

Banned
No thanks, i'm not watching a ping pong anime no matter how good it might be.

why? Isn't this dismissive given everything ive said, how Ping Pong is only a backdrop, a vehicle if you will for the characters themselves to interact in?

Don't think of this as a Ping Pong show. It's so much more then that

Sakura

Almost all sports anime seem to revolve around male characters only with only one or two female side characters at all. What sports anime actually follows a female team/protagonist? I actually tried looking for one recently but the only one I found was Keijo.

They probably exist, but I don't think they are that popular. From my experience, females enjoy sports series centred around male teams as well, so I don't think there is a huge market.
If anything the female sports series I've watched seem more like comedies.

Hexa

Almost all sports anime seem to revolve around male characters only with only one or two female side characters at all. What sports anime actually follows a female team/protagonist? I actually tried looking for one recently but the only one I found was Keijo.

I really dislike the art style of Ping Pong and I like regular sports anime but not sure I like character drama's so I'm not sure if I'll like this.

Taishou Yakyuu Musume seems to be exactly what you're looking for.
Bamboo Blade is this kind of too. There's a male coach as well who at first seems to be the main character, but as it goes on he doesn't really matter at all.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
why? Isn't this dismissive given everything ive said, how Ping Pong is only a backdrop, a vehicle if you will for the characters themselves to interact in?

Don't think of this as a Ping Pong show. It's so much more then that

Just looking at the pics and gifs you posted in the OP i have zero interest in this. Nothing you posted screams to me "HOLY SHIT I NEED TO WATCH THIS ASAP!!!"

Sorry OP, you tried.

Jarate

Banned
They probably exist, but I don't think they are that popular. From my experience, females enjoy sports series centred around male teams as well, so I don't think there is a huge market.

4X7Hi36.jpg

Here you guys go, it's moebrand ping pong (Ive never watched this filth, it looks fucking terrible)

Just looking at the pics and gifs you posted in the OP i have zero interest in this. Nothing you posted screams to me "HOLY SHIT I NEED TO WATCH THIS ASAP!!!"

Sorry OP, you tried.

brb posting gif of deep character developement throughout a multi episode title

If not gorgeous, this is at least incredibly charming and technically impressive. It may not be for everyone, but I don't understand dismissing it as "looking bad".

But then again some of GAF loves Dragon's Crown so it all starts to make sense the more I think about it.

Erheller

There are some (like this one I guess, haven't watched it), but I don't know if there are any good ones. (I

It's not about a sports team, but Sound Euphonium is about a marching band which is mostly female

Edit: dammit Jarate

Not going to lie, I would've considered going back and watching this (I admittedly skipped over it while it was airing because I tend to avoid sports anime like the plague), but OP's condescending attitude and need to rag on anyone who posts here that they're not interested has really turned me off it. There's no need to be rude, dude.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I really dislike the art style of Ping Pong and I like regular sports anime but not sure I like character drama's so I'm not sure if I'll like this.

Keijo is exactly what you're looking for!

Erheller

If not gorgeous, this is at least incredibly charming and technically impressive. It may not be for everyone, but I don't understand dismissing it as "looking bad".

But then again some of GAF loves Dragon's Crown so it all starts to make sense the more I think about it.

GAF doesn't like anime unless it's from the 90's. And even then I think they'd still shit on a modern anime that has a 90's aesthetic.

I don't know which will be the foundation of my sure to come nightmares today, that a show like Ping Pong is being discussed on the merit of its animation or people expecting such meaningless details as the fluidity of the movement or its most surface level narrative thread can show the depth and intelligence of an all time great like Ping Pong, but i am sure i will wake up in sweats and shouting in german.

Bulzeeb

to be honest, the art style is not for everyone, I was hesitant at first because of it and well, because i dont like sport shows, but I saw it after my brother recommend it to me and I must say that the animation is great (weird art style is not animation) and it was a great character driven show on a ping pong setting, I really recommend it to everyone.

Jarate

Banned
Not going to lie, I would've considered going back and watching this (I admittedly skipped over it while it was airing because I tend to avoid sports anime like the plague), but OP's condescending attitude and need to rag on anyone who posts here that they're not interested has really turned me off it. There's no need to be rude, dude.

I too chose to watch shows based off how nice or mean the person suggesting it is, and not the actual content of the media

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This thread is really a proof of concept for why so much anime is derivative garbage.

sonicmj1

Girls und Panzer is basically about sports, but the sport is tank battle. It's good, light fun.

I'm also aware of two girls' baseball shows, Princess Nine and Taisho Baseball Girls. I don't know how good they are.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

More like a game than sport, Chihayafuru?

There are a lot of great sport manga with female protagonist like Happy!, but I can't seems to find any anime... errr.. Girl und panzer?

Let me start by saying that the art style of this anime is hideous.

Now let me say that Ping Pong looks amazing in motion. It's easily one of the best anime I've ever seen and is one of my absolute favorites. I'm one of the types that's beginning to teeter into "I'm too old for this shit" territory when it comes to anime, but Ping Pong reignited that passion that got me into anime in the first place.

I hope you reconsider someday. Ping Pong the Animation really is an excellent show, and you're only doing yourself a disservice by rejecting it because of OP's behavior.

I too chose to watch shows based off how nice or mean the person suggesting it is, and not the actual content of the media

Is that really unusual? Wouldn't you be more likely to watch a show if the person recommending it said something like "Hey maybe give this show with a unique story and animation a shot" than "If you don't want to watch this show, your taste must be shit"? Like it or not, it's not unreasonable. I agree that there are a lot of mediocre anime, but you were instantly condescending from the first post and only got more so as the thread went on. That's not going to win anyone over to Ping Pong.

Jarate

Banned
Is that really unusual? Wouldn't you be more likely to watch a show if the person recommending it said something like "Hey maybe give this show with a unique story and animation a shot" than "If you don't want to watch this show, your taste must be shit"? Like it or not, it's not unreasonable. I agree that there are a lot of mediocre anime, but you were instantly condescending from the first post and only got more so as the thread went on. That's not going to win anyone over to Ping Pong.

I never said that peoples taste is shit anywhere. I dismissed their arguments based off of very obviously incorrect, hyperbolic, or ignorant statements they might have had.

I think the OP is more talking to the people on GAF you see who say they "outgrew" anime because "everything is moe-trash".
Or the ones who open an anime recommendation thread for more serious anime, then still choose Shounen stuff.

Thanks to this thread I learned Kaiba hits bluray in the US in 6 days. Much obliged, Jarate. Gotta fill up those Yuasa gaps where I can!

KoopaTheCasual

Maaan, Ping Pong has BEEN on my "must watch" list forever, and I never get around to watching it. From some of the gifs i'm seeing, it's giving me Tatami Galaxy surrealism vibes. Would you guys say that's true?

Ping Pong is an all-time great anime. Wonderful, human characters that naturally grow and develop from start to finish. No padding, no bullshit, just a movingly told exploration about what it means to be a competitor, and by extension, what it means to live. I would recommend it without reservations to pretty much anyone, regardless of genre preference.

There's a reason it won Anime of the Year here the year it came out.
Off topic, but I JUST realized after all this time that your avatar is from Wolf Children, which means you have great taste.

Anime elitism aside, Ping Pong is really a great show that I can usually feel comfortable into recommending to friends with the attitudes described by the OP. The art style is gorgeous, btw, especially in motion.

Maaan, Ping Pong has BEEN on my "must watch" list forever, and I never get around to watching it. From some of the gifs i'm seeing, it's giving me Tatami Galaxy surrealism vibes. Would you guys say that's true?

Tatami Galaxy is more surreal, Ping-Pong actually has a really realistic portrayal of character relationships. Its just that the animation is (imo) great.

Jarate

Banned

Off topic, but I JUST realized after all this time that your avatar is from Wolf Children, which means you have great taste.

made by the same guy who did Tatami Galaxy

Theonik

Same director. But no they aren't going for the same thing.

Erheller

Ping Pong and The Tatami Galaxy are literally directed by the same person. Ping Pong doesn't get as surreal as The Tatami Galaxy (there's nothing like the last two episodes of the latter); it's a much more grounded work that chooses to focus on its characters and themes.

Two great anime, but with different approaches.

Come on now. There are tons of sports anime that aren't about moe blobs or kawaii girls or whatever it is you hate. It's pretty common amongst sports anime. Ping Pong isn't really unique in this regard. I think the only reason some people latch on to it is because of the animation style (which is ugly).

Guy sounds like he doesn't watch much anime tbh

also 99% is a completely moronic statement. Saying that, I might check this out when I have some time.

Jarate

Banned
Guy sounds like he doesn't watch much anime tbh

also 99% is a completely moronic statement. Saying that, I might check this out when I have some time.

im expressing a sentiment held by people like me, who like animation, but don't like issues that are prevelant in anime. It's true, it's hyperbolic, but then again, you seemingly arent disheartened by the modern anime industry

Jarate

Banned
hello I love ping pong and I've never heard of this anime. The animation looks aaamazing!! Thank you OP

You sold me, OP, that art style is really unique and interesting.

Your OP has me intrigued, and some of the images/reactions reminded me a little of Mob Psycho which is another anime that plebeians people said looked ugly that actually looked amazing. Might check it out.

Hey, I'm sold on trying it now. Good job, OP.

That guy in the last gif has a dope St Laurent polo on... I might check this out, I like experimental animation.

Posts like these give me strength
r9fNs76.png

im expressing a sentiment held by people like me, who like animation, but don't like issues that are prevelant in anime. It's true, it's hyperbolic, but then again, you seemingly arent disheartened by the modern anime industry
I like all kinds, moe and fanservice (neither of which I care for) for chicks isn't even that popular for sports anime/manga compared to other series. The best sports animes in particular don't focus on that at all.

Top Bottom