• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF how do you rate The Boss?

What is GAF's take on The Boss? Bruce Springsteen that is.

f22b3f282dd166f7ebc8838cfd419f35--sound-of-music-my-music.jpg

07880f4d74607a594e367e206b21f3c3

I know what my take is, he is one of my favourite artists and lyricists (maybe one of the GOAT's). Seen him live 7 times so far, discovered him pretty late, in my mid 20's pretty much. So i have only been able to catch 7 shows.

Best show was 28th of July 2012, with this killer setlist. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/2012/ullevi-stadium-gothenburg-sweden-4bdcfbf2.html

Was amazing even though i was in the stands, and i usually arent in the stands at concerts. It's also amazing that he still at the age of 67 does 3-4 hour concerts, last year he did a 4 hr one here in Gothenburg.. i think the audience was more worn out at the end than he was (i know i was)

Top 5 albums are as follows:

1. Darkness On The Edge of Town
2. Born To Run
3. The River
4. Born in the USA (i usually skip the opening track on this)
5. The Wild, the Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

51WR%2BLb4TpL.jpg

He has also written one of the best auto biographies i've listened to, has read it in by himself too. It is very insightful and you learn alof of the man behind the lyrics. Can't recommend this audiobook enough.

51ZqlgBYrdL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

GodofWine

I never 'got it' with Bruce. I kinda thought he was just a right place, right time kinda artist.

Nothing he ever did resonated as "great music" to me. TOOOO MEEEEEEEE. Obviously, millions of others disagree.

Being born and raised in NJ we're taught that he's some sort of God.

He's alright, much prefer his older stuff than anything he did in the last 10-15 years.

I'm always confused as to whenever you see him play guitar it looks like he has to take a massive crap.

Will say I would to hear the rumored lost tapes of an electric version of Nebraska.

brau

There is only one Boss. She was replaced by Big Boss. There is no room for two Big Bosses.

love Bruce.

Lol. Edit phones auto correct.

Being born and raised in NJ we're taught that he's some sort of God.

He's alright, much prefer his older stuff than anything he did in the last 10-15 years.

I'm always confused as to whenever you see him play guitar it looks like he has to take a massive crap.

Will say I would to hear the rumored lost tapes of an electric version of Nebraska.

Well he is the NJ devil right?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Boring. It's pop rock and I don't hate it or fans of it, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

First concert I went to was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band in 99. My dad took me.

I don't love Bruce, but I don't hate him either. Born to Run is great.

Max a great drummer though and it sucks Conan doesn't have him anymore

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He's truly incredible. One listen to Jungleland and it hits all the highs and lows of everything, it is a truly beautiful piece of music that is very special.

He's truly incredible. One listen to Jungleland and it hits all the highs and lows of everything, it is a truly beautiful piece of music that is very special.

Jungleland is my favourite track too!

He has a number of killer "epics" i call em.

Jungleland, Racing in the Street (this song live.. is so fucking good), New York City Serenade, Drive All Night... theyre epic.

Drive All Night from Ullevi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8qpTL1wxGQ

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Pop rock? What are you on about?

Don't get your dick in a pretzel just cause you don't agree. It's easy and accessible rock meant to sell and fill stadiums. Nothing wrong with that.

Edit lol my phone's autocorrect is as bad as my grammar.

Raptomex

He's alright. I don't get the following but to each their own. My uncle has been obsessed with him for years. Goes to every possible show, has every album, and listens to no other music. It's an obsession.

highrider

Banned
I was in high school at the height of his popularity. The whole working class hero thing never really resonated with me, but I understand he’s a very good live performer so in that particular pop/rock genre I could see how he became successful. He’s kind of corny to me if I’m honest.

Phased

His older stuff perfectly captures a working class voice, it resonated with people because it seems pretty genuine. It still does when you listen to it now, it's just extremely relateable music if you're middle/working class or lower.

He's also really good live.

Thats not the boss

MnCrV4A.gif

That's The Boss.

Was hoping this would be the first post lmao

Ontopic though: he's great at what he does and he's a blue collar icon, no doubt about it. I'm not a particular fan of his music but I have mad respect for him and the battle that he started against ticket scalpers.

Futureman

I've only been to a few, but best Boss show for me was at Soldiers & Sailors in Pittsburgh. It's a pretty small venue but I was right up in the front row because my friend's band was the opening band (Joe Grushecky's son was in the band). Boss came out when the opening band covered "I'm Going Down" and it was just a ridiculous, unforgettable moment for me.

I think his best three albums are "Born in the USA," "Darkness" and "The River."

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've only been to a few, but best Boss show for me was at Soldiers & Sailors in Pittsburgh. It's a pretty small venue but I was right up in the front row because my friend's band was the opening band (Joe Grushecky's son was in the band). Boss came out when the opening band covered "I'm Going Down" and it was just a ridiculous, unforgettable moment for me.

I think his best three albums are "Born in the USA," "Darkness" and "The River."

This is pretty weird, how he's not nearly as big in his home country. I've heard before about him mostly playing smaller venues there, while here in Sweden he sells out our largest arenas several nights in a row.

Futureman

This is pretty weird, how he's not nearly as big in his home country. I've heard before about him mostly playing smaller venues there, while here in Sweden he sells out our largest arenas several nights in a row.

No this was a one-off show in a smaller venue. He plays large venues in the US and sells out or mostly sells out shows. He's massive here.... though he used to be bigger when he was younger.

actually bad memory but I think it was actually a Joe Grushecky show but he played with the band the entire show and mixed some of his songs in.

He's quite possibly my favorite artist. I'm turning 36 tomorrow, and both my parents are huge fans, so when I was younger all I can remember is hearing his music while sitting in the backseat of their car. In high school and college I never bothered to look into his music and it wasnt until i was in my mid-20s that I finally listened to an album of his in full. I cant believe I missed out on that good music all those years.

I've seen him a handful of times now and at his age seeing him play for 3 1/2 hours nonstop is incredible. He's a musical icon. There's no debating that.

I really like Born to Run, Darkness, The River, and Nebraska (I think Atlantic City is an amazing song). Never got into his later stuff.

Top Bottom