• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

Metalgus

Banned
No. But in Uncharted 2 I would have stopped if they didn't gave me the option to lower the difficulty at the final boss. I found it was such a stupid fight to end an otherwise excellent game.

Dadasch

DOOM

Kinda...wanted to continue at a later date but didn't bother anymore.

Oh and FFXIII of course.
What a shitty game, boring as fuck.

I never beat the last boss on Metroid Prime, I got annoyed with trying to backpedal around poison goo (or something, it's been a long time since I played it) and stopped at the last boss.

I stopped Final Fantasy X as well because I didn't want to keep sitting through a 30 minute cutscene to try fighting Yunalesca again (I guess she isn't the final boss but close enough). I did replay it and beat it recently on the PC though, it's a lot easier now that I actually understand the battle system.

I never got through the final castle in Ocarina of Time either, I just sort of lost interest since it felt like I'd done pretty much everything and mastered the game by that point, so why bother

Also Pokemon Sun, the game was just a huge slog and by time I got to the Final 4 I realized I'd been tricked into buying the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl of the 3DS and turned it off

PeterGAF

Banned
Just a few months ago I was playing Blue Dragon via backwards compatibility. I got all the way to the final boss and realized that in order to beat him I needed a lot of items that cured a paralysis effect. I had like 2 in my inventory and the dude just keeps spamming those attacks. I could have just gone to a store to buy more of those items, but in order to do that I would need to have reloaded an earlier save that would require me to face the second to last boss again (because the game’s save system is stupid). I didn’t want to go though the hassle of doing that so I just gave up. Blue Dragon wasn’t all that great anyways and I’m sort of surprised I kept going on with it.

JCHandsom

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, they introduce some new mechanic in the final boss fight where you had to slice through boulders and I just wasn't any fucking good at it, and trying it 10+ times sucked all the fun out of the game for me. So I just went on Youtube and watched the damn ending.

The one where you need to figure out how to slice diagonally? That was really hard for me too, until I figured out you could run away out of the boulder's path and wait for him to come back down.

You don't get the healing items they drop when you cut them, and you don't get the big QTE at the end that does a lot of damage to him, so it's still way harder than intended, but at least it's doable.

bomblord1

Banned
The human-like face still creeps me out a little.

tumblr_inline_mlwfszqKKS1qz4rgp.jpg

It always looked like a fox face to me

BiggNife

Killzone 2. I don’t even remember what was hard about it anymore, but it’s the only game where I gave up on what I think is the final boss.

It was a combination of having to fight like 20,000 soldiers in one room and then having to fight a dude with stealth camo and a shit ton of health

The last level of KZ2 was just a brutal difficulty spike from everything else that came before it that it retroactively hurt my opinion of the game

DPB

I also never managed to finish Metroid Prime. I still like the game, but after so many attempts to finally take out Meta Ridley I was pretty fed up with playing it. And it wasn't so much the final boss that frustrated me but the lead up to it. Having to dodge multiple metroids and jump my way up to the boss room became tiresome, especially as I'd almost always enter with depleted health.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - my characters were mostly underleveled, I was out of healing items and my only other save was from hours before.

I wasn't quite at the final boss but I've given up on Brave Fencer Musashi on two separate playthroughs, both at exactly the same point, a rhythm minigame boss in the final level.

Axl

Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Was clear when I got to the last boss that I needed to grind a bit first. Had no desire to do so. Same story for Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Wolfenstein the old blood. The end boss was just a big bullet sponge and frustrating, annoying, and had nothing to do with how the rest of the game played. After 6 or so attempts I figured I've gotten what I need out of this and watched the ending on YouTube.

No ragrets.

wvnative

Wolfenstein the old blood. The end boss was just a big bullet sponge and frustrating, annoying, and had nothing to do with how the rest of the game played. After 6 or so attempts I figured I've gotten what I need out of this and watched the ending on YouTube.

No ragrets.

After seeing other people just watch endings on youtube I've decided to just watch mech assault 2's ending...

*three minutes later* Yeah, definitely not worth this bullshit boss...

Timeaisis

My copy of Final Fantasy X couldn't load the cutscene right before the Sin fight, so I never finished the game.

(Wow I just edited this post!)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Was clear when I got to the last boss that I needed to grind a bit first. Had no desire to do so. Same story for Valkyria Chronicles 2.
Really!!? TMS #FE final boss was vey easy, especially compare to SMTIV:A's final boss. I also don't remember ever needing to grind in that game unless you actively avoid fighting regular enemies when going through the dungeons.

This effer:

jfg6.jpg

The last encounter with Mizar in Jet Force Gemini. I remember using all the ammo from all my weapons and being left with the infinite useless weapon from the pistol. He just wouldn't die and your accuracy had to be almost perfect, while he shoots a ton of crap at you. I tried several times over a prolonged period of time, and then quit, to my dismay. Several years later, with this failure still bugging me, I said: f this, you're going down. So I tried several times and finally destroyed him. It felt good.

Fou-Lu

I don't generally do this, but I have a friend who does it with every single game he plays. The amount of RPGs he has stopped at the final dungeon or final boss is staggering. I just want to talk about the endings with him. Sadness.

Twookie

I failed Sonic Mania's last boss 2 times(I ran out of lives two times) and as I was starting the level over again I had to ask myself if I was really having fun and I really wasn't so I just quit.

I haven't played it since
charm_crazy.gif

StarPhlox

My wife does this all the time, though it's not "giving up." She just doesn't finish the game.

Breath Of The Wild for example. She's put in 50+ more hours than I have. Has way more gear and experience. All she has left to do is beat Gannon...and she just hasn't done it yet.

It drives me crazy.

Do we have the same wife?!?! I am in the same exact situation hahaha.

As far as the original question, I came close with Dark Souls where I basically had to learn to parry to finally take down Gwyn but I managed to do it after a week of attempts (rest of the game took me like two weeks).

The only games I can remember giving up at the final boss and never conquering are TMNT 2 because of Shredder and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga with Cackletta. Still makes me mad.

Wolfenstein the new order.

I just couldn't kill the boss when the place is burning down. I need to go back and do it but of all the hard bosses I have done i just couldn't do it.

MissingString

Neo Member
Star Ocean: The Second Story

When I was a teen playing this game, I just kept grinding after losing the final battle, and it never seemed to help after even getting my characters to level 90, never went back.

The exact same thing happened to me. Kept wiping even after getting my party over level 100. Turns out I did something dumb and ended up missing Ashton entirely.

I restarted the game from scratch and made sure to get him and bring him into my party. I don’t even think I was level 80 the second time around. Claude and Ashton just kept using their specials in a pincer formation and the boss couldn’t move. Ended up rolling him and sustained little to no damage. Felt so vindicated.

joecanada

Dragons Age Origins = Not because it was hard but I literally did not give a shit anymore, about the characters, the story, none of it...... this was after I beat Morgana's mother the dragon...... it's pretty sad because people always point to this one as being the best one which it is and it wasn't even worth finishing......... sorry but Bioware sucks (I missed their early stuff so can't comment on earlier games).

FF8 or FF10 sorry I cant remember which one, both were boring to me, one I quit at end boss one I didn't last more than 4 hours, I can't remember which....... but someone might know.... in this FF you could chain attacks continually to run automatically.... there was a grinding trick where you would set your characters up, leave your ps3 running and then come back like 8 hours later........ that's the one I went to the end boss and was just like "meh".

Mike Tyson. Damn him to hell lol.

Newboi

Eyedol - Killer Instinct 1 Arcade version. On my fifth try fighting him when I was younger and almost killing him, seeing him hit me across the screen then proceed to stomp all of his health back just made me walk away from the machine. I've only recently beat the arcade version of Eyedol via an Ultra64 emulator.

Magneto - X-men children of the atom. If you thought Juggernaut was darn near impossible...this fight was even worse if you played with Wolverine who happened to be my favorite character.

Calfirma

Neo Member
Mine would have to be that t-rex from that one Turok ps3 game.

That
piece of shit
(swearing) is THE worst boss design I have witnessed in a game before. It had a 1 shot kill move that could get you between walls and didn't really have an animation. Basically as long as you were at most 50ft away from it, you were liable to die due to teleporting Dino.

venomenon

Chrono Trigger
Haven't literally given up on it though, as I intend to beat it one day.

Final Fantasy IV
Don't intend to play it ever again.

That's it, I think.
In a way you could count Undertale because was on my way through a
genocide run
when I first saw footage of the
Sans fight
and then decided I wouldn't finish it.

bosh

The only game I can recall I gave up on the final boss was Spyhunter on the PS2. I'm not sure why but it was more frustrating then what it was worth

Game was pretty cool up to that point and the cover was sleek

Spy_Hunter_%282001%29_Coverart.png

*Splinter

Devil May Cry... 3? Every boss was a struggle, and I don't think I ever beat the final one.

Just googled it and yeah, Virgil. Looks so easy now lol

dawid

Grandia 1. Saved before the final boss and after 50 tries realized i didnt have the items/char level to beat it.. and there was no possibility to go back from what i remember.

Also Super Mario Land 2. Could never beat the last level and Wario. So damn long to go before even getting a shot at the boss. And that asshole had like 3 stages.

Roni

Gold Member
As a little kid I remember I gave up on Megaman Legends 2 at the final boss, couldn't defeat him for the life of me... Must've been 10-12.

Tales of Xillia 2

I actually didn't give up, but I did end up lowering the difficulty all the way to easy. Even then, the final boss was still super difficult. It's probably the most insane difficulty spike I've experienced in a game.

Matterfall. It's not an incredibly long game so it's not like I'd made a big investment in time before leaving it and I'm sure I could eventually beat it if I wanted to but not only is it very difficult it's just not a very fun fight either which is odd for a Housemarque game.

Opa-Pa

I couldn't for the life of me beat the one in Paper Mario 2, so I ended up trading it for The Simpsons Hit & Run and never looking back.

Yeah, I know.

It almost happened with Strange Journey, but determination wss the key!

Also this isn't the same, but my game crashed in Dragon Ball Z Legends during the final battle (Kid Buu?) and I think there weren't save files in that, and the same thing happened /after/ the final boss in Ape Escape. I never went back to either out of frustration :(

Ralemont

not me
Silent Hill 3, got to the end of the game and had three handgun bullets and the katana. Couldn't beat it.

Came back to it after a year, buckled down and got lucky and beat it after hours. No ragrets.

westman

Yes, in "Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII". It's a little unusual, in that you can ignore large parts of the final dungeon and fight the final boss early if you feel you are powerful enough. If not, the optional parts give you plenty of opportunities to level up and unlock powerful gear. Not a bad idea, perhaps, but it didn't really work for me. I tried the final boss early, was soundly defeated, did 1/4 of the optional stuff, tried again, did better but was defeated at
Bhunivelze's
final stage. The optional stuff I had completed was really more of a grind than something I enjoyed, and I didn't really like the idea of doing the remaining 3/4 just to see the final cutscene, which I could see on Youtube instead. So that's what I did. In pre-Internet days, I probably would have persevered.

Harlequin

Yup, with Thief 2014. I ended up realising that I didn't have the necessary gear to defeat what I'm pretty sure was the final boss so I would've had to restart the entire mission which I simply could not be bothered to do so I abandoned the game. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point, who knows.

Top Bottom