• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

HNcwa.jpg

lol! so uhh, Frankie, you got a date to the uh, 2012 video game awards yet?

Trey

I'm curious to see how jetpack will be. I can't imagine them keeping it the same.

I'm thinking they'll make them boosters and not a full blown jetpack. Increase jump height and the ability to throttle fall speed.

I talked myself into Instant Respawns in slayer game types.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't really play COD that much, but wouldn't an instant respawn take away your X after you die? Thet would suck pretty bad for your team to not see where folks are dying at, no?

Instagib gametype at release please.

Instagib?

But you do... The article says "there's no delay on respawn after death; a tap on the X button sends you right back into the action." That means you merely have the option to instantly respawn. What we don't know yet is what happens if you don't. Do you get spawned in automatically after a certain amount of time, or do you get kicked from the game if you don't come back in?

Again using COD as an example, but I think it's pretty safe to assume you'll automatically respawn after 3 or 5 seconds if you don't press X.

EDIT: Both answered below.

Wasn't SWAT a gametype on the disc in Reach?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Instant respawning only possible in non-objective games? I don't see the problem.

I've played a few games of both Halo 3 and Reach with no respawn time hacks, it didn't make much of an impact.

Trey

If poseible, please address the reasoning behind the instant spawn system in the podcast. I think it's what I'm most unhappy about right now.

Get players back into the game faster. Also one less punishment upon death for players, but it doesn't affect the cherished "skill gap" and theoretically wouldn't diminish a team's ability to exert map control (that is if random weapon spawns didn't render that nearly a moot point already), while pretty much doing away with spawn traps. (up to you whether that's a good or bad thing)

Magni

Team doing the killing: impossible to get an exterm, lowered time to recharge shields
Team being killed: no time to see the "X" (communication in an ideal world would make this not matter, but more and more people are mute online)

I still don't see the point spawning instantly. What does it add to the game?

ADHD (and it also speeds up the game)

CyReN

We are the laziest and impatient generation, 5-10 seconds spawns is too much time for out players. I do enjoy it though, can tweet/text when dead..

Lockout never made it back. We got Guardian, Blackout, The Cage, Uncaged, but never Lockout :(

My 7 maps:

Chillout
Lockout
Midship
Sanctuary
Warlock
Beaver Creek
The Pit

(so yeah, H2 >>>>>>> H1 > H3 >>> Reach in terms of maps)

I also love maps like Sidewinder or Valhalla, but since I'm more of a 4v4 guy I couldn't sacrifice any spots for those two.
I like your list the most so far out of what other people have posted. All 7 maps are really solid. Your order of which game had the best maps is probably spot on, although I'd probably put H1 closer to H2. So many good memories in CE. Anyway, here's my list:

Headlong
Lockout
Standoff - without the laser and OP vehicles, this map would have been a classic
Warlock
Zanzibar
Colossus - so very, very much underrated
And number 7:
Citadel, Burial Mounds, Ivory Tower, Sanctuary, Terminal, Waterworks, Boarding Action, Midship, Hang'em High, Chillout, Battle Creek, Gemini, Longshore, Prisoner, Longest

And just for kicks, since none of them come close to the maps from previous games. Favorite non-forge Reach map: It's a tie between Countdown and Swordbase. I don't know why, but I always found Swordbase very entertaining. And since I was usually alone with randoms, the map is constructed very well to support solo play.

Recarpo

Get players back into the game faster. Also one less punishment upon death for players, but it doesn't affect the cherished "skill gap" and theoretically wouldn't diminish a team's ability to exert map control (that is if random weapon spawns didn't render that nearly a moot point already), while pretty much doing away with spawn traps. (up to you whether that's a good or bad thing)

The only issue I have with it is if you kill a player but are weak and they spawn immediately somewhere near you and then finish you off.

Ok, as somebody who has been up on the mountains snowboarding for the last several days, can you guys link me to all the new info, or give me the run-down on all the important pieces that people are either a) excited about or b) enraged at?

Thanks. :D

kylej

Banned
I still don't see the point spawning instantly. What does it add to the game?

Makes it easier for bad people to get kills. I was going to say it destroys the concept of map control, but H4 will probably have the same randomized spawns as Reach so unskilled people will have it easier there too.

It's nice to slowly be dripped some details.

I like this idea of instant respawning breaking spawn camping/trapping. Now Over can get killed by rockets 6 times in a row even sooner and quit out :p

Overdoziz

Banned
To play devil's advocate, why not add it to the game?
With recharing shields it could become an annoyance.
Also, the respawn time is a penalty for dying and is in place so your team will have to play with less players for a short period of time.

TheOddOne

Ok, as somebody who has been up on the mountains snowboarding for the last several days, can you guys link me to all the new info, or give me the run-down on all the important pieces that people are either a) excited about or b) enraged at?

Thanks. :D
- Demoncarnotaur's summary of multiplayer changes.
- Dani's summary of non-multiplayer stuff and multiplayer.
- My post post about newly announced co-op mode Spartan Ops (Yes, that is the real name for it).
- A rundown of comments made by Frank and David about multiplayer changes: post 1 and post 2 (will update as much as possible).
- Dax wants Chief and Cortana to make sweet passionate love, Frank says "lolwut".

Trey

I'm so hoping 343 doesn't go down that route with Cortana and Chief. Frankie's "lolwut" was the most calming post he's ever made, next to "I wouldn't worry".

Wonder what new characters make it into this trilogy. Gonna take quite a character to replace Johnson, if that's their intention. I sure wouldn't mind it being a Cortana/Chief/major antagonist show the whole way through.

They should bring back Crater and Lost Platoon for Firefight.

Wait.

ODST Firefight. <3

They should bring back Crater and Lost Platoon for Firefight.

Wait.

That reminds me, you guys know the nightclub that was in New Alexandria? The layout was almost exactly Crater's and since I first realized that I was hoping we'd get it as a firefight map for DLC. I'm kinda disappointed we didn't, honestly--just imagine a traditional Brute Chieftan final round in there, minus the fuel rod gun/jetpack death from above stuff that Reach introduced.

FyreWulff

That reminds me, you guys know the nightclub that was in New Alexandria? The layout was almost exactly Crater's and since I first realized that I was hoping we'd get it as a firefight map for DLC. I'm kinda disappointed we didn't, honestly--just imagine a traditional Brute Chieftan final round in there, minus the fuel rod gun/jetpack death from above stuff that Reach introduced.

Yup, it is Crater. I always felt it was doomed to never be DLC though, because you'd hear "they're selling us content already on the disc". Would have never been politically viable.

Computron

With instant respawns, what's to stop people from getting revenge on someone who still has their shield down from their previous encounter?

- Demoncarnotaur's summary of multiplayer changes.
- Dani's summary of non-multiplayer stuff and multiplayer.
- My post post about newly announced co-op mode Spartan Ops (Yes, that is the real name for it).
- A rundown of comments made by Frank and David about multiplayer changes: post 1 and post 2 (will update as much as possible).
- Dax wants Chief and Cortana to make sweet passionate love, Frank says "lolwut".

What the hell is your problem with the Name "Spartan Ops" it makes perfect sense its Spartans engaging in military operation i dont see any problem with it at all and its far from "cheesy"

If anything needed renaming it would be "Spartan Points" that make literally zero sense, Spartan Ops sounds perfectly natural and something that would fit into the universe fairly well, I can easily imagine documents scattered across some ONI high ups desk with the Words "Spartan Ops" on it, However Spartan Points is hilarious... "Spartan 264 went to the Spartan Store to spend his Spartan Points on a new helmet."

Computron

I don't really play COD that much, but wouldn't an instant respawn take away your X after you die? Thet would suck pretty bad for your team to not see where folks are dying at, no?

Not necessarily, if anything, they have the opportunity now to make it stay longer on the map or maybe be more descriptive, I'd hope.

TheOddOne

What the hell is your problem with the Name "Spartan Ops" it makes perfect sense its Spartans engaging in military operation i dont see any problem with it at all and its far from "cheesy"

If anything needed renaming it would be "Spartan Points" that make literally zero sense, Spartan Ops sounds perfectly natural and something that would fit into the universe fairly well, I can easily imagine documents scattered across some ONI high ups desk with the Words "Spartan Ops" on it, However Spartan Points is hilarious... "Spartan 264 went to the Spartan Store to spend his Spartan Points on a new helmet."
I also dislike Spartan points, called them what the are: credits.

I just hate the name Spartan Ops, sounds tacky and kind of naming it after a COD mode is ugh. Maby it will grow on me, but I just dislike the name.

1) Choosing primary and secondary weapon loadouts at the beginning of a match doesn't seem so bad to me.

Gears of War 3 actually did this, and it was still a pretty damn balanced, skill-based shooter. I could see the appeal of choosing any combination of the weapons listed based on my preferences, the layout of the map, etc. +1 excitement for that.

2) Armor pieces that tie directly to armor abilities sounds good to me.

One of the bigger problems with armor abilities in Reach was that you could never really tell what armor ability anybody was using from a distance, so you couldn't plan or approach accordingly. If I can see a guy has a certain helmet/shoulder/chest/whatever and immediately know 'ok, he has this ability and these stats, I should approach it as such-and-such' that would be an improvement. +1 excitement for that

3) Spartan Ops sounds like a cool idea. I don't necessarily like the idea of it replacing fire-fight instead of adding to it.

Seriously, how many development resources does it take to whip together some maps and drop in some AI routines? Spartan Ops, by the sounds of it, is a much larger undertaking in terms of time and resources.

That said, change the damn name. We all know you're stealing ideas from CoD at this point, changing the word Spec to Spartan doesn't really disguise it that well.

+0 excitement for this.

4) Mid-match joining. Ugh.

As long as there's some barrier between matches where mid-match joining is allowed or not, I'm fine with this. Make it the difference between social and ranked, make different search filters, make different playlists. I don't care. Just make a wall so I don't have to deal with this BS if I don't want to.

-1 excitement for this.

5) Random power weapon drops and instant respawns.

*Deep breath*

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA IN THE LONG SAD HISTORY OF BAD IDEAS. Seriously, how is this not a few steps removed from turning every match into a Fiesta gametype?! Oh, you happened to be standing where the rocket launcher pod fell? Lucky you! Are you out of your MINDS 343?!

-1,000,000 excitement for this, and may god have mercy on the souls of every person at 343 who did not immediately pack up and leave the team after hearing this was the direction. Sinning by silence makes cowards out of men.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Frank's comment about X-Ray being something a good player tries and immediately picks something else, makes me think that it has a very short range. Like probably just for looking around a wall of a base you're about to go into. Still lame, but I don't believe it will cover the entire map...

Sounds like Gears 3's Capture the Leader gametype where the leader can see both teammates and enemies through walls.

Aka stupid.

Sounds like Gears 3's Capture the Leader gametype where the leader can see both teammates and enemies through walls.

Aka stupid.

It's not stupid in Gears of War 3, it actually creates a skill gap between teams that communicate and teams that don't. If it works like that and has a very reduced range, then it could be a helpful perk for a specific play-style, and worthless to the majority of players.

Top Bottom