• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Any computer technicians here?

This isn't really a stupid question but I don't think it deserves its own thread. A week after installing Windows 8, my laptop began to freeze. I've isolated it to occurring when my battery is charging. I switched both battery and AC adapter with my brother though it still occurs.

Here's the interesting thing though: my battery still charges when the laptop's switched off and I can successfully run my laptop without any freezes with battery only, or AC only (running without a battery).

So it only crashes when the battery is inserted and charging while running Windows 8. It doesn't crash instantly. Sometimes after a minute, sometimes after 30 minutes and sometimes after several hours. I've Googled, installed the latest Lenovo Windows 8 drivers and looked at Event Viewer after each crash but nothing comes up. There are also no minidumps produced.

When it crashes, the screen is still there but completely frozen (no BSOD). I have to reset it by pressing down on the power button for a few seconds.

I was thinking it may be a motherboard issue (PLEASE NO), but there are reasons why I think it's not. I mean, it still charges when turned off and works whilst not charging and the fact that it's inconsistent in when it freezes makes me believe it's not a hardware issue. I don't think it's a Windows 8 issue since that ran fine for 10 days before it started freezing.

Is there any software which will assist in finding the cause? I've stopped all non-Windows services from running, but still no luck. I really can't afford to format now with exams in two weeks but I'll need to at least try it if nothing can resolve this.

Xun

Since changing my password GAF has been logging me out as if the remember me button hasn't been selected.

Any ideas? I assumed it was related to cookies, but apparently not (I reset Safari).

Minamu

Since changing my password GAF has been logging me out as if the remember me button hasn't been selected.

Any ideas? I assumed it was related to cookies, but apparently not (I reset Safari).
I had similar problems last year maybe. Whenever I hit enter after typing my password, it would not save it. But if I manually pressed the login button, it would remember it. Try that maybe? :S

Mikey Jr.

Ok, this question is going to be really hard I think, but I'll try anyways.

Ok, there used to be this toy. I THINK it came in different sports varieties, but the one I remember was baseball. At the bottom was this lever that you would push to the side, and it would wind the toy up. Then, the backboard where you score would move side to side, and you would use the baseball bat to flick little balls into the scoreboard, and it would actually keep track. As you scored, the little balls would travel behind the backboard, down some tracks, and back to the front, where you could use them again to score.

There wasn't anything electronic, or needed batteries. Operated purely as a wind up toy. It was loud as hell, and it came in a red box. Its not a super super old toy, but I remember having it probably about 13-14 years ago.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oreoleo

Perhaps the Hot Shot series? Basketball was more popular but they had Baseball too, apparently.

51JOVtw-XHL.jpg

311_a72c0e3de0.jpg

What was the name of the girl who would always do reports on Keith Olbermann's Countdown on msnbc back in the day? She had brown hair. I just saw a very brief clip of her on 60 minutes and it's bugging me. I can't remember her name for the life of me now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How would I go about listening to my iPod shuffle (most recent model) in the car? My car doesn't have a cassette deck, so the cassette adapter things that people use isn't an option.

Mr. F

Banned
Does anyone have any experience purchasing digital items from international Amazon sites?

Amazon.ca doesn't sell digital games, and Amazon.com has this Walking Dead deal on. Just wondering as a Canadian if I would run into any issues buying digital games from the US site.

UrbanRats

Does anyone have any experience purchasing digital items from international Amazon sites?

Amazon.ca doesn't sell digital games, and Amazon.com has this Walking Dead deal on. Just wondering as a Canadian if I would run into any issues buying digital games from the US site.

I bought a couple of digital games from Amazon.com (i'm in EU) with an US address, used the keys on steam, but i could've just downloaded them fine from there, i think.

Joe

can i take a SIM card out of a working iphone 3gs and stick it in a regular old dumbphone and use it right away?

How exactly does Amazon Instant work? I want to watch a movie tonight on my PS3. Can I rent the movie on Amazon.com, and then it instantly appears in my PS3 queue? Or do I need to purchase it through the PS3 app?

tsigo

How exactly does Amazon Instant work? I want to watch a movie tonight on my PS3. Can I rent the movie on Amazon.com, and then it instantly appears in my PS3 queue? Or do I need to purchase it through the PS3 app?

The "watchlist" is universal. It should show up on any device you use.

The "watchlist" is universal. It should show up on any device you use.

Great. Thanks for the answer! I originally wanted to watch it on the Xbox 360, but wasn't sure if I had to use Microsoft Points to purchase the film. Good to know that it's all universal.

Minamu

can i take a SIM card out of a working iphone 3gs and stick it in a regular old dumbphone and use it right away?
Assuming the card fits in both phones and is not locked to an operator, probably. This is possible where I live at least.

Maron

How do I record my voice onto my MacBook and make an mp3 file out of it? It's an older Mac (10.5) so GarageBand's out of the question.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot I had Audacity...Haven't used it since November but it gets the job done!

FillerB

Forgive me my ignorance, but how does one go about making an avatar which mixes with the background of a website? Example: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43780570&postcount=306

It uses transparency in the image. Just use any image editor which supports that (Paint.NET, photoshop, GIMP etc.) and remove what you don't want to show up. Then save it as a PNG and upload it to GAF. Remember to make your image smaller than 100x120px or else GAF's autoresizer removes the transparency.

Alternatively ask the fine folk in the Forum Avatar Request Thread to fix you up.

... Okay, is my avatar showing up as annoyed Asian guy to anyone else?

3FClS.jpg

It doesn't show up on my phone, and it wasn't showing up on my PC this morning, but my netbook has been displaying it. I tried to drag and drop the avatar to Google Image search it, but it searched for my Jack O'Lantern avatar.

Baconbitz

Banned
I'm thinking of signing up for Netflix instant streaming. Just 3 Questions.

1. Is it still restricted to one device?

2. Does anyone know if adventure time is on there?

3. When signing up what's the best package?

How the shit are people allowed to sell bootleg SNES games on ebay (like Secret of Mana 2)?
And why aren't they cheaper?

Has instant streaming ever been restricted to one device? We have it on a ton.

Jafku

1. Its not restricted to one device.

2. Adventure Time isn't on streaming

3. There is the $7.99 streaming package.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Don't think I ever saw an answer to this earlier, but now I have more specifics. If I'm buying a used CPU, a bit of minor OCing by the original user shouldn't be a huge issue right? From what I understand, a CPU either works or it doesn't; if you screw it up through OCing, it'll be pretty much fried. The user OCed it from stock 3.0GHz to 3.2GHz for less than a year. I'd probably plan to do the same or perhaps a little higher.

Computer scientists, how does this produce the the answer 1,2,3,3,2,1?

I must be dumb because I just can't figure this out (I'm new).

assume Ns starting value is 1...

procedure Exercise (N)
print the value of N;
if (N<3) then (apply the procedure Exercise to the value of N+1);

print the value of N.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Computer scientists, how does this produce the the answer 1,2,3,3,2,1?

I must be dumb because I just can't figure this out (I'm new).

assume Ns starting value is 1...

procedure Exercise (N)
print the value of N;
if (N<3) then (apply the procedure Exercise to the value of N+1);

print the value of N.

I'm assuming that all this:

Code:
print the value of N;
[B]if[/B] (N<3) [B]then[/B] (apply the procedure Exercise to the value of N+1);

print the value of N.

Is the pseudocode for Exercise. So here's what happens:

Code:
Running Exercise(1)
PRINT 1
Running Exercise(2)
    PRINT 2
    Running Exercise(3)
        PRINT 3
        (can't run Exercise(4))
        PRINT 3
    Exercise(3) ends
    PRINT 2
    Exercise(2) ends
PRINT 1
Exercise(1) ends

It's a recursive function.

I'm assuming that all this:

Code:
print the value of N;
[B]if[/B] (N<3) [B]then[/B] (apply the procedure Exercise to the value of N+1);

print the value of N.

Is the pseudocode for Exercise. So here's what happens:

Code:
Running Exercise(1)
PRINT 1
Running Exercise(2)
    PRINT 2
    Running Exercise(3)
        PRINT 3
        (can't run Exercise(4))
        PRINT 3
    Exercise(3) ends
    PRINT 2
    Exercise(2) ends
PRINT 1
Exercise(1) ends

It's a recursive function.
Thanks, so obvious now that I see it.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm selling a laptop on eBay with a warranty that I accidentally slipped and fell, cracking the case a little.

I don't want to change the price because it functions just fine and is still under warranty. What do I do?

Oreoleo

Don't think I ever saw an answer to this earlier, but now I have more specifics. If I'm buying a used CPU, a bit of minor OCing by the original user shouldn't be a huge issue right? From what I understand, a CPU either works or it doesn't; if you screw it up through OCing, it'll be pretty much fried. The user OCed it from stock 3.0GHz to 3.2GHz for less than a year. I'd probably plan to do the same or perhaps a little higher.

Intel? That's some very minor OC'ing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey You

Can mold grow on cheese overnight in the refrigerator?

I bought a bag of shredded cheese, opened it then put it in the fridge but didn't wrap it up. I just folded it in half and put it in the fridge. Today it had mold on it.

Hey, I thought about making a thread for this, but figured it wasn't worth it. I hope doctor Gaf looks at Stupid Questions!

I have this really horrible allergy to metal. Pretty much every metal I've encountered causes a reaction, to the point where doctors in the past have told me to try and cut metal out of my environment. Which is pretty much impossible, as it's in EVERYTHING. Even plastic apparently. This is one part of the problem.

The second part of the problem is that I am randomly anemic. Taking Iron pills gives me tons of problems. Is there an alternative to the pills? And I feel really stupid even asking this, but they can't explain the random anemia, so...

Is it possible the allergy is causing my anemia in some way?

Are you sensitive to all metals, not just nickel/chrome/cobalt? You could try eating iron-rich food like red meat, lentils, beans and broccoli.
How do antivirus companies safely confine viruses on their machines for testing purposes?
I have no idea what they do, but it's easy to test things in a closed virtual environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom