• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

Vestal

Gold Member
This run is four days old and current trends do not show this.

Hmm think I picked the wrong image. let me look it up again. below is the one I could find from GEFS yesterday.

VnDtV5M.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
St. Croix webcam for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2CzQclKQc

For reference, that hotel is on the north east side and the closest approach currently for the eye is south west side. So that won't be the hardest hit area but it'll give you a great idea of what's happening. I'm actually on a hill and I have a beautiful view of the south side of the island but it's dark and of course I'm not going outdoors and my windows are shuttered.

Kusagari

Regardless, FL needs to be on guard. We're entering the part of the season where you get Wilma type runs from the Western Caribbean. I'd be shocked if we don't get at least one Major hurricane from there.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So am I correct in my understanding that while earthquakes can occur for any number of other reasons, it's more than just a fringe hypothesis that hurricanes may be able to influence the occurrence of earthquakes due to the low pressure affecting something as huge as the continental plates?

I know there is still a few hours until Maria hits PR but I'm gonna go bunker up guys. Everyone be safe and for those not in PR pray for us.

So am I correct in my understanding that while earthquakes can occur for any number of other reasons, it's more than just a fringe hypothesis that hurricanes may be able to influence the occurrence of earthquakes due to the low pressure affecting something as huge as the continental plates?

never heard of such a connection, that is too wild to be science man too wild

Vestal

Gold Member

Stealing this from Storm2k post which I think is pretty interesting.

There have been studies that suggest a causal relationship between low pressures during hurricanes and the triggering of earthquakes. Of course it could be coincidental, but it's worth considering due to the proximity of Maria to the southern boundary of the Caribbean plate and the earthquake which was just to the north of it. That would be very interesting to look at.

Also worth noting that Mexico had an 8.1 quake September 8th just off its pacific coast (very close to Caribbean plate boundry) as Irma was a Cat 5 in the Carribean (at that time north of Puerto Rico).

Interestingly, the big 8.0 Mexico City earthquake of 1985 happened right around the same time as Hurricane Gloria began to intensify.

It must be fringe because my mind can't wrap how a hurricane can influence earthquakes where some occur hundreds of kilometers below the Earth's surface.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
It's something that probably should be looked into after the Irma/Maria connection. Hell of a coincidence to coincide twice.

We can only hope it's completely wrong in the end. It's bad enough to think that we're adding fuel to the figurative fire of destruction from above. If it was actually helping aggravate destruction from below...

Griss

I know there is still a few hours until Maria hits PR but I'm gonna go bunker up guys. Everyone be safe and for those not in PR pray for us.

Thoughts are with you man. I've been to PR, it's only like an hour's flight away in a prop plane, gorgeous place. Hope the damage isn't too severe.

Be safe and don't let your island shoot this thing to the west at us!

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Stealing this from Storm2k post which I think is pretty interesting.
Interesting, but correlation does not equate with causation. You need to look at the whole picture, number and intensity of earthquakes over time, with or without hurricanes. Might actually be the case that there is only 0.1% correlation. Taking facts out of historical context isnt that useful. Interesting, but not useful.

Vestal

Gold Member
I'm in Caguas. I'm actually impressed I still have electricity since with less stronger winds we didn't have electricity when Irma was near.

Wifes family is down in Ponce, Mom/Grandma/little Sister/MiddleBigSister in San Patricio, oldest sis went with her kids to work at her hospital, and my dad the stubborn fuck is staying at his APT in Condado right in front of the water on a 14th floor with Storm Shutters.

Spinluck

Did this thing casually become a Cat 5 overnight?

My heart aches for those in PR, stay safe from this monster.

I'm hoping we get lucky and this thing misses all together.

Griss

Wow, the 11pm update from NHC does nothing for poor Puerto Rico (too late for that I'm afraid) but it moves the path significantly further east of the Turks, which is great. Looks like it'll miss me completely at the moment.

11pm:

rdJTTo4l.jpg

vs

8pm:

dXXKaXVl.jpg

Looking pretty good unless something weird happens as it passes over the island.

Wow, the 11pm update from NHC does nothing for poor Puerto Rico (too late for that I'm afraid) but it moves the path significantly further east of the Turks, which is great. Looks like it'll miss me completely at the moment.

11pm:

rdJTTo4l.jpg

vs

8pm:

dXXKaXVl.jpg

Looking pretty good unless something weird happens as it passes over the island.

Great news!! You just dealt with crap 2 weeks ago.. we all deserve a break.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Still have power in NW PR. Totally surprised. Winds are really picking up though, and she's still far away. The winds are coming straight at my north side windows and I am trying to sleep but no go. The noise is strong. And I repeat.... I am the farthest away from her. Strong tropical storm gusts. Stay safe PR :)

Pesmerga00

WTF is going on this year? Global warming? So many powerful storms in succession. I thought I dodged a bullet with Irma, but what will next week bring?

Vestal

Gold Member
WTF is going on this year? Global warming? So many powerful storms in succession. I thought I dodged a bullet with Irma, but what will next week bring?

Combination of that along with no sand from the zahara desert and a lack of shear across the Atlantic = a very favorable environment for storm development.

DrkSage

Still have power in NW PR. Totally surprised. Winds are really picking up though, and she's still far away. The winds are coming straight at my north side windows and I am trying to sleep but no go. The noise is strong. And I repeat.... I am the farthest away from her. Strong tropical storm gusts. Stay safe PR :)

Lights just went out for us here in the Northwest, and yea wind seems pretty strong considering how far she is. If they feel Ike this I don't want to know how they're going to be when the eye passes over us

The NHC also finally dropped Jose's ass down to a tropical storm.

Which goes against some of the models thinking he'd intensify...

Which also increases possible Westerly steering currents for Maria in a few days...

Here is the PR wind map tomorrow for Gusts (as I said in the other thread, there better be a large Naval aid mission being planned):

DKITEvXXkAEoQ66.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
From Caguas here, we are starting to feel some strong winds here now.

Which goes against some of the models thinking he'd intensify...

Which also increases possible Westerly steering currents for Maria in a few days...

Here is the PR wind map tomorrow for Gusts (as I said in the other thread, there better be a large Naval aid mission being planned):

DKITEvXXkAEoQ66.jpg
184mph???

Good lord.

Vestal

Gold Member
From Caguas here, we are starting to feel some strong winds here now.

184mph???

Good lord.

Sister just texted me, reports that power in PR is starting to fail in a large portion of the island. Reports of up to 85% of the island without power and the real thing is not there yet.

Side note: she got her info from NotiUno a few minutes ago(for those not in PR NotiUno is one of the major radio stations in PR)

Edit:
Apparently notiuno had it wrong.(not surprised) 85% was still with power..

Vestal

Gold Member
WTNT65 KNHC 200358
TCUAT5

Hurricane Maria Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL152017
1200 AM AST Wed Sep 20 2017

...1200 AM AST POSITION AND INTENSITY UPDATE...
...SUSTAINED HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS REPORTED ON ST. CROIX...

A sustained wind of 75 mph (120 km/h) with a wind gust to 114 mph
(183 km/h) was recently reported in the western portion of St. Croix
in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

SUMMARY OF 1200 AM AST...0400 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.4N 64.9W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM SSW OF ST. CROIX
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM SE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...175 MPH...280 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...908 MB...26.81 INCHES

$$

Forecaster Blake

908MB

evil ways

San Juan here, Puerto Nuevo. It'been raining non stop for about 2 hours now and winds have started to pick up, still have power, luckily.

pestul

Slight decrease in max wind speeds to 165mph. It's still a Cat 5 but at least it doesn't appear to be getting stronger.

Maybe catching a little luck getting an eyewall replacement cycle for a little weakening as we're getting to PR proper, and might not have a chance to put itself back together entirely. Maybe. Hopefully. Pressure is up a little but still well within category 5 territory.

More specifically, the original inner eyewall is starting to open up, and the strongest winds were now found in the new, larger wall.

Noi

Carolina here. We lost power a few hours ago, not from the storm itself but cause a power transformer going boom near us. Internet service from Liberty finally went out just around an hour ago. Only reason cell service holds up is cause every sane person is fast asleep, lol.

This feels very much like how Georges was like when I was a kid, though in a much safer house. At least there are no trees next to us...

Top Bottom