• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Spielberg's Place Among Directors?

dosh

Spielberg is a strange case. Undoubtedly one of the greatest of all time, but he hasn't done anything actually great in years. He still gets a pass because no amount of War Horse, BFG and Always can erase Jaws, Raiders, E.T., Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and Munich.

Except he used shaky cam expertly in SPR. Not Spielberg's fault all the Paul Greengrasses that came afterward decided to use it as a crutch without putting any effort into actually trying to frame their subjects. Spielberg's use was effective and thoughtful.
They didn't even put any effort into actually trying to understand the purpose of the shaky cam. And Gladiator-era Scott is probably more to blame than Spielberg anyway.

DeathyBoy

Banned
He's the Ric Flair of directing.

There have been better directors, but no one has ever been that good at that many things for so long.

And if he ever decides to do a superhero film, he's going to make stuff like Civil War look even worse than it already is.

yepyepyep

Overall I think he is ok. Can't recall any film of his that I would consider a personal favourite. There is something about his most recent style that is off putting, the cinematography is too bright and over saturated.

I think he is undoubtedly influential and he does have more aptitude compared to the average film maker, but I don't think he actually reaches the heights of great directors like Kubrick, Ozu, Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Fassbinder, Bresson etc.

pswii60

Duel is still one of my favourites, where it all began.

He's an incredible director, the most successful and with the most wide ranging appeal. I'm not as keen on his more recent stuff, but that doesn't detract from his amazing work over the years.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Out of curiosity, how exactly do you think he fucked it up?

He's likely making the two most common errors of people who didn't understand AI:

1. Assumes the ending was tacked on by Spielberg (it wasn't, it was 100% Kubrick; Spielberg's only notable addition to AI was the Flesh Fair, which most people think is the most Kubrick part of the film for some reason).
2. Thinks the ending is happy, which remains one of the most baffling misconceptions commonly held by people about any film ever made.

He's likely making the two most common errors of people who didn't understand AI:

1. Assumes the ending was tacked on by Spielberg (it wasn't, it was 100% Kubrick; Spielberg's only notable addition to AI was the Flesh Fair, which most people think is the most Kubrick part of the film for some reason).
2. Thinks the ending is happy, which remains one of the most baffling misconceptions commonly held by people about any film ever made.
They did, and I responded with the same two points as you haha.

RangerX

Banned
He's a really good director but he wouldn't be near my top ten. I'm not into overly sentimental mawkish films. I cannot stand ET. Minority report is probably my favorite of his.

gamz

Why is this even asked? One of the greatest and influential filmmakers of all time. Don't think there's much to be debated here.

Top 3 for definite. A serious contender for the top spot overall. He has probably half a dozen near-perfect films to his name and was involved in a huge number of influential films even if he didn't direct them (i.e. Back to the Future, Poltergeist, The Goonies, The Land Before Time, etc).

Spielberg would be on my Top 10 list along with Howard Hawkes,John Ford, Frank Capra, Hitchcock, John Houston, Peckinpah, Kubrick, Michael Curtiz and David Lean

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Didn't he also do minority report? Dude is top 3 for sure.

Minority Report is up there with my favorite Spielberg movies. I rewatched it a year ago and liked it even better then.

massoluk

Banned
I'll go ahead and said he's number one. You can't ignore Schindler's List, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, ET, and the range of genre he tackled.

People hating on him is just trying hard to be hip

Ah yes... Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Munich.... just like Pizza Hut, fun for the family!

I said he had directed some classic family films that go down easy. Like pizza hut.

I didn't say " he hasn't directed anything serious" did I guy. No I didn't.

Tho saving pvt ryan.and.jaws we all saw those as a family too.

Not schindlers list tho. But the rest? Yep. Not Munich though was after family time was "cool".

Some of yall acting like you're better than pizza hut. Ain't no one better than the hut.

Elitist1945

The GOAT. Hasn't been as spot on in recent years, but Bridge of Spies was amazing, and I find a lot of his 2000s work underrated (Minority Report, WoTW).

airjoca

He doesn't have the artistry and brilliance of someone like Kubrick. But what he does have and is probably the best at, is pulling your heartstrings. He's great at eliciting emotion and wonder from the audience.

My childhood wouldn't have been the same without Mr. Spielberg (and John Williams).

PowderedToast

an absolute genius, as intelligent and brave a filmmaker as anyone else you could name

but his emotional directness and immediacy confounds critics at times, because they aren't traits that are usually associated with the 'greats'. he's never been an in vogue director for that reason.

I get sad when people deny themselves the pleasure of his films because he's too 'soft', 'mainstream', or 'sentimental'.

thenexus6

He's good, but the last movie he made that i liked was 13 years ago...

Since 2000:

2001 A.I. - Didn't do much for me (should rewatch)

2002 Minority Report - Great

2002 Catch Me If You Can - Good

2004 The Terminal - Great

2005 War of the World - Good

2005 Munich - Great

2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Good until the school

2011 The Adventures of Tintin - Great

2011 War Horse - Didn't do much for me

2012 Lincoln - Good

2015 Bridge of Spies - Good

2016 The BFG - Never watched

tanooki27

I said he had directed some classic family films that go down easy. Like pizza hut.

I didn't say " he hasn't directed anything serious" did I guy. No I didn't.

Tho saving pvt ryan.and.jaws we all saw those as a family too.

Not schindlers list tho. But the rest? Yep. Not Munich though was after family time was "cool".

Some of yall acting like you're better than pizza hut. Ain't no one better than the hut.

it's not a great analogy because Pizza Hut is empty carbs slop it down on a Friday night. Spielberg is tops because for all his feel-good populism, the real "taste" of his movies comes from his subtleties.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
who the fuck would consider Spielberg of all people a hack, lol

gfxtwin

His last great film Was Munich. He's one of those directors who you'd have to be a complete asshole to hate, but I get why some might find him too safe or boring compared to directors that challenge their audience more. Still, I can't think of any director that is so masterful at connecting emotionally with the audience.

it's not a great analogy because Pizza Hut is empty carbs slop it down on a Friday night. Spielberg is tops because for all his feel-good populism, the real "taste" of his movies comes from his subtleties.

Pizza Hut is a place you take kids to enjoy themselves for a nice family friendly slice of pizza. I had birthday parties at the hut!

I wasn't worrying about no empty carbs at that age. Nor was I trying to appreciate the many subtitles of Indiana Jones or ET.

Just appreciating a good, inoffensive family friendly adventure romp. Felt good man.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Top 3 for definite. A serious contender for the top spot overall. He has probably half a dozen near-perfect films to his name and was involved in a huge number of influential films even if he didn't direct them (i.e. Back to the Future, Poltergeist, The Goonies, The Land Before Time, etc).

He did direct Poltergeist though.

Rhoc

He's Top 7 even if he's not on top of his game lately he is still capable to direct awesome movies occasionally Bridge of Spies for example. Maybe he can make another good one with Ready Player One.

p2535748

Spielberg is THE director of the past 40 years. I'm not saying he's the best or most talented, but that if you think of film since the late 70's it's impossible to miss his imprint. In terms of importance, there's no doubt he's one of the 5 most important directors of all time.

For me personally, if anything, he's a bit underrated by people. The most common response to the question is that he makes good inoffensive films, or that he hasn't been great in a long time, but I don't think that's right. Yes, the BFG is terribly mediocre and Indy 4 is really bad, but Munich, Tintin, Minority Report, AI, Catch Me If You Can, and WoTW are all very good or great, and many of them break the notion of Spielberg as a "safe" director (WoTW is often criticized for the ending, but the basement section is harrowing and dark, there's some fantastically disturbing imagery that's obviously evoking 9/11, and he makes his hero into a murderer and a suicide bomber).

I also think that Bridge of Spies and Lincoln are both excellent films (particularly BoS), and superbly directed, and I think it gets overlooked because they're seen as "simple" when they're anything but. They are earnest and forthright, but they're not simple, and the technique displayed is not something that comes easily to most directors.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Why is this even asked? One of the greatest and influential filmmakers of all time. Don't think there's much to be debated here.

He's like The Beatles. No matter what, what he has done has influenced every filmmaker after.

Top Bottom