• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

Kickz

I prefer this even more than Disgaea 4. Much more enjoyable to play.

Like others have said, the only thing you might not like is the story and characters. Personally, I like them, but prefer much more Valvatorez as protagonist and his crew.

Cool thanks, 4 kind of burned me out on the series, so I will try this

LordKano

It's weird because I got far too strong so easily without doing much.
Maybe the difference was just that I have a thief.

I was just stealing gear from the enemies here and there and I never had to buy anything.
Maybe you should try to steal in the item world too, you'd get some nice gear and have more options.

Yes you can vote for new subclasses.
You're thinking the same way as me. I had a bunch of classes but ditched them all for real characters.
It's a choice. I just kept a thief because it's the best.

Thanks. I guess I'll choose based on design. Christo sucks so he'll be the first to get out.

Waji

Thanks. I guess I'll choose based on design. Christo sucks so he'll be the first to get out.
That's what I thought first too but he gets better and in the end % matters not since you can raise it to the max with everyone.

He can easily be the healer of the party at the very least.
Later he cas do everything from heal, support and attack.
I added him a few chapters after getting him in the party and no regret.

LordKano

Yeah, I've only played 6 hours but that's kind of my problem with the game so far, I would have liked to raise a priest or a warrior but it's useless if the main characters are vastly more powerful than them. Are the unlockable classes better ? I've unlocked the Thief but she doesn't seem very useful.

Vena

Yeah, I've only played 6 hours but that's kind of my problem with the game so far, I would have liked to raise a priest or a warrior but it's useless if the main characters are vastly more powerful than them. Are the unlockable classes better ? I've unlocked the Thief but she doesn't seem very useful.

I didn't use anyone other than Killia from the cast, no real reason to other than the Overlord skills (which can later be "taught") but most of them are useless anyway so who cares. I made my own team with my own head-lore for why they were the A-team for the Rebel Army.

Get a Skull trained up, pair him up with a his waifu Ninetails, and an Armored Knight support, and you can just nuke the whole game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Thief is extremely useful. So are Sages and Professors.

Waji

The thief has a much better steal rate than any other characters.
It can have up to 99% while the rest has a maximum of 50%, that's the main reaso,.
But it also has great movement capacity which help reaching far away/high grounds.

I can't say for the other classes since I didn't bother with any after.
That's mostly because I prefer to play with actual characters more than generic ones.
And the only things (I think) that makes a character better in a way or another is the Overlord attack and the main unique Evility (and I feel like you can share these at some point, no sure).

In the end you can pick anyone and do anything. Some characters are just going to be closer to a specific perfection a little faster than others.
It's really a matter of choice. Maybe you'll like abilities from a specific class. You just have to check what they do.
I didn't bother because the balance of the game is so easy to break that I didn't feel the need to care for the classes.

I don't think I'd go back in the series for a long while if not at all because I clearly like challenge and story more than statistical playground.
But it is entertaining in some ways especially while going to work for example.

LordKano

Thanks for your answers. Just wanted to ask one last question : is there a point in the story where you need a specific character to complete a mission (like, a main story quest that requires you to have Seraphina), Kilia aside ?

Waji

Thanks for your answers. Just wanted to ask two last questions :
- Is there a point in the story where you need a specific character to complete a mission (like, a main story quest that requires you to have Seraphina), Kilia aside ?
- I suppose that at some point I'll be able to change classes, right ?
Never do you need to use a specific character. You can use only one random mage for the whole game, or 10 "real" characters, whatever.

And if you want to change your class (do you mean sub class ?), just ask the board, it doesn't require any mana and you can raise any class even with story characters.
For example Killia was a brawler for me.
Seems like getting to the highest rank gives unique evilities. But I never was able to master a class. Seems like impossible before later in post game (that's kinda dumb if you ask me).
Or you probably need to do some pretty specific farming to make it happen before.

LordKano

Never do you need to use a specific character. You can use only one random mage for the whole game, or 10 "real" characters, whatever.

And if you want to change your class (do you mean sub class ?), just ask the board, it doesn't require any mana and you can raise any class even with story characters.
For example Killia was a brawler for me.

I just realized I could change subclasses of normal units and not only overlords while I was typing, I don't know why I thought otherwise...

Thanks !

Waji

I just realized I could change subclasses of normal units and not only overlords while I was typing, I don't know why I thought otherwise...

Thanks !
It's easy to miss something. I checked a few discussions here and there about specific questions I had too, weeks ago.
I feel like the best is just to go as you feel and not care too much about the result.
Anyway everything is so flexible you're always going in the right direction whatever you do.
It's different if you're trying to 100% the game I guess, but even then, there's always NG+.

Got an update today - went from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2. Can't find anything about what was changed though. Might be related to Sleep mode issues with the Item World. Anyone know for sure? Are there seriously not any patch notes for games anywhere in the Switch UI?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sandcano Challenge map with Metallia is great for early/mid post game training if squads and stats. Defend with Metallia for 3 turns to fill revenge bar, use overload to capture 70-76 out of 76 enemy units, kill or capture the survivors.

After interrogation, extract all or feed to squads. At 20 stars, units are at level 640, and a full map combined magic extract will give +7000 to speed and hit, +5000 to all other stats. If Metallia can't handle 20 star difficulty at first, she will after a few map runs at lower difficulties. (Mine was one shotting the 20 star map at level 300ish after some extracts)

Feeding the units to squads will net you around 120-150k squad exp per run. I was able to max all my remaining squads, including full leveling of Asagi and E4 squads from Level 1 to max, in a few hours. The extracts Also help bring the stats of some high level recruits up to speed.

.... come to think of it, maybe I should have used the Asagi map to farm instead.

Got an update today - went from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2. Can't find anything about what was changed though. Might be related to Sleep mode issues with the Item World. Anyone know for sure? Are there seriously not any patch notes for games anywhere in the Switch UI?

That'd be the update which fixes the irregular frame pacing in the hub, and the minor slowdown that happened for 2-3 seconds after entering the hub, I think.

Should I get rid of my Prinnies ASAP? How big should my team for the campaign be?
You'll probably quickly stop deploying them in favor of other story characters or recruited generics. There's no need to actually dispose of them, though. I just stuck them in my research team.

You can use however many characters as you want. I usually had five or six in my core team and a few extra got rotated in somewhat regularly.

Guys at what level is it recommended to claim the DLC characters? I'm level 11 now. I wanna use them, but I don't wanna break the game and make things super easy.

What's the point of the Maid? Mine is not doing anything. I'm very early in the game.

They can also use items without that action taking up their turn.

danthefan

I'm just in chapter 3 so very early on, I assume later in the game I'll be able to recruit and level new chars pretty quickly? I'm unlocking new classes like archer and professor but don't really want to put the effort in right now to level them up.

PS I love towers.

Guys at what level is it recommended to claim the DLC characters? I'm level 11 now. I wanna use them, but I don't wanna break the game and make things super easy.

I have no idea of the answer to your question but if the game is too easy you can use the cheat shop to make it harder.

They can also use items without that action taking up their turn.

All right, I'll stick with my maid. So far she only got a bow and deals little to no damage which sucks. She's also like level 4 while all others are well ahead. Maybe I should improve her bow skill in the skill shop.

By the way, how exactly can I see how much mana I got? I see how much it costs to improve a skill but I don't understand when and how I acquire mana and I don't see where to check my current amount of mana.

Great game so far

LordKano

Is there a way to improve stealing rates ? I only played 15h, my Seraphina is a thief but never has more than 50% chances of stealing.

Also, how exactly do you lvl up your thief class rank ? By stealing or just killing guys ?

danthefan

All right, I'll stick with my maid. So far she only got a bow and deals little to no damage which sucks. She's also like level 4 while all others are well ahead. Maybe I should improve her bow skill in the skill shop.

By the way, how exactly can I see how much mana I got? I see how much it costs to improve a skill but I don't understand when and how I acquire mana and I don't see where to check my current amount of mana.

Great game so far

You get mana by killing enemies. The easiest way to see how much everyone has is at the skill shop I think, you'll see a list of everyone and how much they have. Can't recall if it's on the character status screen.

There are other ways to get mana, like convert evilities. If you have an evility scroll you don't think is useful you can use it on a character and then convert it to mana at the skill shop.

I THINK your maid gains exp from using items too. Keep that in mind to help level.

Anyone had issues lately with crashing in the item world when returning from sleep mode? The thread for it on the GameFAQs board seems to have fallen off the first page, so maybe they fixed it?

So, I delved into an item with the item-worlder for the first time. Halfway through the floors, the Item Worlder Cat-guy appeared and I was on a regular "neutral" field instead of a battle map. There was also some throne with a level 50 character. I thought she was the end boss, and just selected to leave without attempting to talk to her (I'm level 15) and it just took me to more floors and battle maps in the item-world till I beat the boss on floor 10.

Can anyone clarify wtf that non-fighting zone was halfway through the floors? What was that level 50 character also? Is it an optional boss? Do they appear in all the items?

danthefan

So, I delved into an item with the item-worlder for the first time. Halfway through the floors, the Item Worlder Cat-guy appeared and I was on a regular "neutral" field instead of a battle map. There was also some throne with a level 50 character. I thought she was the end boss, and just selected to leave without attempting to talk to her (I'm level 15) and it just took me to more floors and battle maps in the item-world till I beat the boss on floor 10.

Can anyone clarify wtf that non-fighting zone was halfway through the floors? What was that level 50 character also? Is it an optional boss? Do they appear in all the items?

No I don't think it was a boss. You can get a random floor half way through I've found. Sometimes you can heal, another time I got an NPC that I could speak to who I could buy the service of dropping eggs on The field for the next five levels.

Next time just talk to everyone on that level. Don't worry about missing it this time.

GaimeGuy

Okay, so how do I know when an evility increases damage, vs ATK, vs the Attack (or INT) stat? And can anyone explain the difference?

I wish the game had a glossary of terms or something.

GaimeGuy

Beat Baal. It's been over 400 hours.

I don't think I have the heart to grind and face carnage baal, though.

It's been good, Disgaea 5. But it's time for you to go.

KanameYuuki

Finished Story but like what happened on D2 I'm once again trapped on that post game limbo where I just don't know what or how to progress next, I have a good bunch of lv 300 characters but I'm not strong enough to level up like crazy and I wish I could use money maps already to level up sub classes so I can start getting decent Evilities, I've been farming statisticians and got like 2XX, hope I can get my full stack soon.

And the new quest and maps to unlock LoC are kicking my butt, Its pretty funny that I'm really bad with Disgaea games but I just love the crazy progression/skills and the character designs are just my favorite of any game.

I've been playing this for about 4-5 weeks. Put in about 115 hours and I think I am done. I love EVERYTHING about the game but I do have an issue with it. This is concerning the post game primarily. In the past Disgaea games (at least with 1, and 2) you were able to boost your stats infinitely with transmigration (Reincarnation in D5). They removed this feature in 5 and honestly pretty bummed about it. Forces you to use items to boost your stats, and play around in Chara World. I don't mind hitting up the Item World and steal great items but those other two things are huge bummer and will be quitting the game for now.

Other wise it's a great game but disappointed on the reincarnation change.

Other wise it's a great game but disappointed on the reincarnation change.

Reincarnation's still there, and it works the way you describe it. Each time you reincarnate a character, their old levels get converted to more permanent stats on their next cycle. A maximum stat character is still gonna be close to level 90,000.

Reincarnation's still there, and it works the way you describe it. Each time you reincarnate a character, their old levels get converted to more permanent stats on their next cycle. A maximum stat character is still gonna be close to level 90,000.

I suppose I hit that limit because I am not getting any boost stats anymore. I have 10,000,000 on each stat. I decided to keep playing a bit more and farm shards....because this game has its hooks in me. lol

Cheers!

I suppose I hit that limit because I am not getting any boost stats anymore. I have 10,000,000 on each stat. I decided to keep playing a bit more and farm shards....because this game has its hooks in me. lol

Cheers!

Yeah, sounds like you hit the hard cap of stats from reincarnation.

From memory, the way it works is that you soft cap non-HP/SP stats at 60,000,000 from a combination of reincarnation/shards/weapon/accessory/accessory/accessory- 10,000,000 points from each of those categories. Evilities, squads, and Eclipse Power stats take you the rest of the way to 99,999,999.

danthefan

I've made it to the end game, I've just unlocked the very first Carnage level and I don't think I have the heart to grind up now. I have some chars in the range lv 1000-4000 but I'm just getting burned out on it. I have two full stacks of statisticians and I'm trying to grind on Martial Training 5, adding a difficulty star as appropriate for each character.

Is there a relatively quick way to get from say, level 2000 to 9999? If it's just do this map over and over and over then I think I'm out.

Top Bottom