• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Rich!

omg... people want to pirate 3DS games now???? nope. i buy all my 3DS games and now i will put them on this flashcart and sell back the 3DS carts and still have all my games on a single SD card! i did buy those games after all. hah! amidoingitrite?

Still piracy, dude.

CronoShot

Still piracy, dude.

ngbbs4bcfe3bcbea67.jpg

All I want is a hex editor, hell screw the flash cart and give me an official hex editor app and disable my online "achievements" as grand as they are.

baphomet

omg... people want to pirate 3DS games now???? nope. i buy all my 3DS games and now i will put them on this flashcart and sell back the 3DS carts and still have all my games on a single SD card! i did buy those games after all. hah! amidoingitrite?

Accusing people who back their games up of piracy is a bannable offense.

Shahed

Finally! Region free here we come!

Oh wait it doesn't unlock regions? And would only really be used for piracy? Meh

M3d10n

Imagine a PSX emu with 3D?

(don't know if 3DS is powerful enough...but is nice to dream)

Even if it's powerful enough, it's impossible to add 3D support to PSX emulators, due to the way polygons are processed in the PSX (tl/dr: the PSX outputs 2D polygons with no depth).

Korgill

Just to play devil's advocate:

Yes, you can buy most of the games on the eShop but:

- I already own 15+ games on cart and I hate carrying them around with me due to the risk

- The games on eShop are always more expensive than retail if you know how to shop

- When I am done with the games, I cannot sell my eShop purchased retail games.

- If my 3DS is stolen, I have to go through a hassle with Nintendo to get them back

So there are plenty of reasons to want this, IMO. Definitely not legal but perhaps morally acceptable, as long as you are honest about deleting your backups when you sell your games. But I'm sure Nintendo will make it a living hell through updates so I'm not interested in the least.

There's also plenty of reasons to just pirate everything, or even just steal the carts. Doesn't make it OK.

Lasdrub

I would love to be able to move all of my carts to the SD card. It would be convenient to take the 3DS with me without any carts. I don't buy any 3DS games digitally Nintendo holds them hostage and they're more expensive. Another advantage is that I wouldn't have to take the 3DS out of the CPP to switch games ever again.

I would love to get rid of my NA 3DS XL system and be able to keep playing my NA games on my Japanese XL. Having two systems is the fucking PITS. Region free would be absolutely killer.

synce

All I want is region free but even if it doesn't have the feature I'll buy it anyway just to spite Nintendo and their bullshit lockouts.

I'm not buying this if it doesn't enable region free games. I want to play the Miku games. I'll buy them from play asia and whatever card if they do it day 1.

Platy

Besides eshop games (sonic I am looking AT YOU), what are the japan only games that people want to play ?

I mean .. they localized even Project X Zone and Bravely Default =P

Besides eshop games (sonic I am looking AT YOU), what are the japan only games that people want to play ?

Bravely Default isn't out for quite a while.
Processor Layton vs Ace Attourney is even farther out I imagine
Ace Attourney 5
Fantasy Life
Professor Layton 6

Plus the Japanese versions of Shin Megami Tensei

That's what I'm in to, at least.

Takao

Banned

Medarot 7

It'll never be fan translated but at least I can walk around and stuff in a $20 copy from Play-Asia.

Kenai

My personal interest in 3DS hacks begins and ends with region free gaming.

This is also a perfect example of "this is why we can't have nice things"regarding the damn near indisputable fact that mechanisms like this tend to blow open the piracy floodgates. Willfully ignoring the immediate repercussions to Nintendo and all the other game dev's bottom line in exchange for minor personal convenience is one thing, but this also would negatively impacts future game development if it can't be fixed via updates, which I have a real issue with (as should every 3DS owner).

Top Bottom