• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Cvie

Then why is Catlyn Stark called Stark half the times and Tully another. Not disagreeing with you but just pointing out the inconsistency.

she wasn't a queen, same as her sister Lysa Arryn had the lords name but Margerie stayed Tyrell. I don't remeber anyone actually calling Catlyn as Tully, she's definately referenced as a Tully alot but don't recall any Lady Tully or Catlyn Tully

she wasn't a queen, same as her sister Lysa Arryn had the lords name but Margerie stayed Tyrell. I don't remeber anyone actually calling Catlyn as Tully, she's definately referenced as a Tully alot but don't recall any Lady Tully or Catlyn Tully

Yeah, I don't recall anyone referring to Margaery as Baratheon, while the other lords that marry seem to take the husbands family name, so the logic appears to hold. Cat even references her former name Tully at the inn when she takes Tyrion in season 1, "I was Catelyn Tully the last time I stayed here"

CassSept

Who the fuck is ollie

I honestly feel like i remember almost nothing from season 6 sometimes

How can you forget Olly, his character arc was so good that the guy who came up with the idea got promoted to episode writer!

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Olly) whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Black and become a Night's Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he's the one who ends up killing Ygritte?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

CloudWolf

Assuming Dany still can't have children by the end

That's actually not a thing in the show. The Dany is infertile stuff has never been mentioned in the show.

How can you forget Olly, his character arc was so good that the guy who came up with the idea got promoted to episode writer!

Man, these stories always make me want to be an assistant on a badly written show/game. Seems like a surefire way to get promoted. Bethesda also had a story like that with the dude who wrote the Arrow in the Knee line becoming one of the main writers on Fallout 4.

I do wonder how the audience will react to the "good guys" committing incest.
Buzzfeed will call it 'absolutely perfect'.

Seriously though, the incest won't be controversial at all. Fans of the show have been wishing Dany and Jon fuck since the first episode of the show, the revelation that they are nephews have changed nothing about that. Dany x Jon will 100% happen before the end of this season, I'm willing to put money on that.

hqdefault.jpg
I know what this is but what is the context here?
Oh shit I didn't even notice. Guess it's just mostly an original character then.
Lyanna was not in the books?

Gigglepoo

I'd be pretty awesome if the last scene this season is Jon (or whoever) killing the Night King. Then we have an offseason to wonder what's going to happen in Season 8 and 6 episodes to clean up the wreckage.

I doubt it would happen but I don't know how a human vs. white walker fight could stay interesting for any extended length of time.

jett

D-Member
I'd be pretty awesome if the last scene this season is Jon (or whoever) killing the Night King. Then we have an offseason to wonder what's going to happen in Season 8 and 6 episodes to clean up the wreckage.

I doubt it would happen but I don't know how a human vs. white walker fight could stay interesting for any extended length of time.

If the white walkers end up invading season 8 could take on an apocalyptic tinge.

Game of Thrones Season 7 Comic Con Preview Explained

(obviously spoilers for the next two episodes)

If this pans out as indicated, then shit is awful.

Barely mentioned in a letter sent to Stannis.

The final book ended with Jon's death, that should give you an idea how much further away the show is.
4:20 video :)

so the show is...about a book or half a book ahead of the books. or if we count all of season 7 that's finished filming, it's a whole book ahead of the books.

I thought she could never have a live birth was the curse. She can still get pregnant but will miscarry. That was my understanding
my prediction is that if she gets pregnant she will suffer a fate similar to her mother. in that, even if she successfully gives birth, she won't live significantly longer after that enough to be a mother to a human child
She can get pregnant but only by incest.
i can't tell if this is a joke or not

Gigglepoo

If the show can frame Arya turning into a murderous sociopath as a good thing, they'll be able to make Dany & Jon hooking up a season highlight.

jaekeem

[URL=" of Thrones Season 7 Comic Con Preview Explained[/URL]

(obviously spoilers for the next two episodes)

If this pans out as indicated, then shit is awful.

ugh

if that's true I expect gratuitous torture scenes in the latter half of the season

blech

I was listening to Sepinwall's podcast earlier in the week, and he pointed out that the show might have a little bit of a villain problem moving forward, particularly if it ends up as all the likable characters against the white walkers. The White Walkers aren't exactly imbued with a lot of personality. There aren't a lot of roundly disliked characters left on the roster, and some/most of those might be dispatched this season.

Speevy

Banned
The Night King can raise the dead. It doesn't matter how much dragonglass or how many dragons they have.

So the solution to the army of the dead problem has to be a quick fix one, where someone does something magical (Bran) and ends the whole thing.

The real conflict going into season 8 will be obstructionists who refuse to help against the whitewalkers.

Gigglepoo

I was listening to Sepinwall's podcast earlier in the week, and he pointed out that the show might have a little bit of a villain problem moving forward, particularly if it ends up as all the likable characters against the white walkers. The White Walkers aren't exactly imbued with a lot of personality. There aren't a lot of roundly disliked characters left on the roster, and some/most of those might be dispatched this season.

Sepinwall is a smart man. Though I remember even Bill Simmons (who I like but isn't the most intellectual television watcher) complaining about the lack of a good villain after Joffrey died, what, three years ago? The show hasn't been the same since that Purple Wedding. We don't just want any old antagonist (like Ramsay or Euron or Night King), we want a villain who we love to hate. There's a difference.

Every second with Joffrey on screen was magic. I just wanted to wring his neck. He was the worst! But Ramsay? Euron? There's none of that animosity.

I really wonder how they're going to make this human vs. white walker threat interesting. And I'm really, really curious how different the show's depiction of the great war will differ from the book's. It's weird how both versions of the story have been building toward that confrontation but it seems like the most boring end possible considering all the excellent character and plot machinations that have unfolded through the years.

The real conflict going into season 8 will be obstructionists who refuse to help against the whitewalkers.

Do you think there will still be mysteries? Or has that part of the show gone away (or will shortly)?

jaekeem

I kinda hope that rather than human plots -> ww plot it goes ww plot resolved -> human plot conflict

so the white walkers are defeated/subdued, and then the last season focuses on cersei/jon/dany duking it out

probably not happening, but I agree that idk how the plot doesn't get a little more boring once it's down to just mankind vs. the white walkers

I'm sure that would entail some epic cgi fights, but I wanna see my secret hope of endgame villain dany realized :~)

Speevy

Banned
Jojen laid it out pretty clearly.

"The lords of Westeros and all their armies can't stop them."

I don't think he would have said "unless we have dragonglass".

Maybe killing the Night King will break a spell that makes all the whitewalkers and dead explode.

Maybe Bran will make a truce with the Night King.

Maybe there's a sacred amulet or something that can end it all.

All I know is that the Army of the Dead/Whitewalkers are not Ramsay. I would not be surprised to see Lannister dead rising up next season.

The dragonglass buried underneath Dragonstone is a losing strategy.

Not until the sun sets in the east and the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. Who knows what'll happen.....

I dunno if I'd take everything that witch said as gospel, that goes for pretty much any character. there must be leeway for Dany to be able to give birth

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Sepinwall is a smart man. Though I remember even Bill Simmons (who I like but isn't the most intellectual television watcher) complaining about the lack of a good villain after Joffrey died, what, three years ago? The show hasn't been the same since that Purple Wedding. We don't just want any old antagonist (like Ramsay or Euron or Night King), we want a villain who we love to hate. There's a difference.

we still have dany.

Speevy

Banned
Jon: "Arya, you're alive!"
Sansa: "Everyone was sure that you had died somewhere in the Riverlands. I'm so happy to see you're safe. Where have you been?"
Arya: "The Hound tried to find mother and return me to her, but when we got there, the Freys had already started killing everyone. Lysa was already dead when we got to the Eyrie too. So I left for Braavos."
Jon: "Why did you do that?"
Arya: "A Faceless Man gave me a coin and told me to show it to a Braavosi. I learned to become no one, to kill innocent people without remorse, and to fight in the dark."
Sansa: "That sounds awful. Well, at least you're safe. The past is the past."
Arya: "I avenged the Red Wedding. Walder Frey and his family are all dead."
Sansa: "Thank you. We owe you a debt that can never be repaid."
Arya: "On the way here, I met Ed Sheeran. He's a very nice man. We ate some rabbit together."
Lady Mormont: "And then you killed him, right?"
Arya: "Of course not. He was kind to me."
Jon: "Hang Arya for treason."

*cheers of approval from all the northern houses can be heard for miles*

Moff

I have preached for years that the show and the novels had a villain problem since the end of ASOS.
the night king/others are a faceless force of nature, the boltons and cersei are incompetent and bland buffoons compared to Tywin.

Now after many years of distance and after the show covered the same content, killing off Tywin was just a huge dramatic failure of GRRM. No one could fill the hole he left, not in westeros and not in the dramatic plot of the saga. the result is the disarranged, boring mess we had in AFFC/ADWD where you don't care about anyone winning anymore.

They should have made Dany/Tyrion the villains and I hope they will do that in this season, otherwise this will just become a fantasy Walking Dead clusterfuck.

edit: and bran of course, remember he is the big bad

Pennywise

I kinda doubt that everyone will gladly join forces and even if they do, that doesn't stop certain individuals for taking advantage of the situation.
Littlefinger taking certain castles/areas for example.

Speevy

Banned
The fact that Cersei is a buffoon is the villain. She's making decisions that she thinks help her, but actually hurt everyone.

The Donald Trump of Westeros

I dunno if I'd take everything that witch said as gospel, that goes for pretty much any character. there must be leeway for Dany to be able to give birth

Let's take a look at the prophecy:

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.

"Sun rises in the west and sets in the east." This already happened in the books (Quentyn Martell, who was omitted from the show). "The seas go dry": IIRC, in the last Dany chapter in book 5 where she gets back her menstruation (or possibly has another miscarriage TBF) Dany notes that the Dothraki Sea is going yellow. The Dothraki Sea is going dry. So two parts of the prophecy could be interpreted as having already came true. Not sure about "Mountains blow in the wind like leaves" though.

But yeah, the book prophecy could definitely be interpreted as her becoming fertile again. First time I read Dany's final Dance chapter, that was the impression I got

Top Bottom