• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_3.0 |OT| Alexa, What Are the Berenstein Bears? - Wednesdays on USA

Tamanon

Banned
Awesome premiere. Ironically, it appears Elliot and Mr Robot have the same goals now, although they don't realize it. Or just different methodologies.

It was also the clearest Elliot has been in the series, IMO.

Angela talking about undoing everything....was odd..... Not sure if they're talking time travel, or virtual reality there. Or if she's just been tricked, or is tricking Elliot.

Solid premiere though.

Or did she?

Everyone is playing 4D chess, and White Rose is maybe playing 5D chess (lol).

Interesting you bring up 4d chess. Of all the characters, Elliot is by far the most naïve (as per usual). Darlene was telling him to start being realistic about whether Stage 2 was actually dead.

Though I was intrigued that Mr. Robot had zero clue that Elliot actually shut down the backdoor. Likewise, Elliot is going to have zero idea that ECorp is gonna get fucked while he's there.

Holy shit this is way better as a premiere than season 2 was, and I loved season 2.

Permanently A

Awesome premiere. Ironically, it appears Elliot and Mr Robot have the same goals now, although they don't realize it. Or just different methodologies.

How's that? It seems like Elliot absolutely does not want to go through with Stage 2 while Mr. Robot does.

It was also the clearest Elliot has been in the series, IMO.

Angela talking about undoing everything....was odd..... Not sure if they're talking time travel, or virtual reality there. Or if she's just been tricked, or is tricking Elliot.

Solid premiere though.

Elliot wants to stop not only Stage 2, but also the entire hack since he realized that his hack did jack shit to help the world vs. Mr. Robot somehow thinking that his hack is causing all this revolution. Either he lacks self-awareness or he is driven by pure rage vs. ECorp for killing Edward Alderson.

Tamanon

Banned
How's that? It seems like Elliot absolutely does not want to go through with Stage 2 while Mr. Robot does.

Elliot seems to want to finish the revolution. Now, that's not going through Stage 2 like original, but I think that's why he wants back in Evil Corp. He probably wants to do it in a less lethal way though.

Permanently A

Elliot seems to want to finish the revolution. Now, that's not going through Stage 2 like original, but I think that's why he wants back in Evil Corp. He probably wants to do it in a less lethal way though.

It doesn't sound like Elliot wants to finish the revolution at all, he saw what he accomplished and was disgusted by it and blamed himself for it. He says it himself "fsociety... well I sure fucked society"

Well after reading this...that just confirmed for me that whiterose's motivations doesn't really suggest time travelling. Spoilers for those that didn't watch Episode 1:

The episode opens with a glimpse at some enormous piece of machinery, and there seems to be a big answer hidden in there. Is this mystery something we can expect to be solved this season?

ESMAIL:
Whiterose’s motivation has also been shrouded in a lot of mystery for those last two seasons. Even though I didn’t want to answer exactly what it was, I wanted to at least show the thing, and I really wanted to drill down on her obsession to control her reality vis-a-vis this technology she’s producing. That parallels any real-life billionaire in our world who’s obsessed with technology and makes these lofty claims, whether it’s anti-aging or singularity or A.I. or space. We kind of wanted to model Whiterose’s arc on that level. What if someone with extreme wealth and resources had this goal of being able to control their own reality and they really wanted to execute that through technology? That’s as much as we want to reveal right now to the audience. We’re going to give out more details later. It was important to set that up this season because I think we’ve been teasing it long enough. We thought it was important to at least show the thing, even if you’re not exactly clear on what you’re seeing.

Source: http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/11/mr-robot-trump-time-travel-season-3/

God. Im so confused lmao

I dont know how to properly learn this show. The recaps seem not to help (though the official ones are blocked in Canada anyway)

I just dont know whats going on

aparisi2274

I like the
time travel
idea, but I dont know, seems they're teasing
alternate realities
... Maybe thats what Angela meant when she told Elliot that they could undo everything that has been done...
that they can open a door to another reality and they can go there where both their parents are still alive...

TheRed

I like the
time travel
alternate realities
... Maybe thats what Angela meant when she told Elliot that they could undo everything that has been done...
that they can open a door to another reality and they can go there where both their parents are still alive...
That could be likely too with the E Corp guy training at the nuclear plant and talking about alternate dimensions/realities. It's definitely a tease.

I like the
time travel
alternate realities

You know...
alternate realities
make way too much sense. I originally thought whiterose's goal was to reset everything to 0 and then recreate society, but why do that when you can do
alternate realities.
It has a lot of relevance to society considering that you wonder where the future of VR will go, and whether people can create powerful enough technology to be able to recreate worlds as if they were gods. You would be the master of your own time at that point.

Permanently A

God. Im so confused lmao

I dont know how to properly learn this show. The recaps seem not to help (though the official ones are blocked in Canada anyway)

I just dont know whats going on

In the first season elliot carried out his plan to destroy ECorp with help from Mr. Robot. We found out Mr. Robot is actually a split personality of Elliot's based on his father's likeness.

In the second season, Whiterose and the Dark Army, another powerful hacking group, are introduced. Whiterose recruits Angela to their side. The Mr. Robot persona of Elliot works with Dark Army and Tyrell Wellick. Their goal is "Stage 2" to blow up the physical copies of the data that was deleted in the first season.

Now in season 3 Elliot no longer wants to carry out the plan, but Mr. Robot does. Angela is helping Mr. Robot and Dark Army's plan while telling Elliot that she's on his side to stop the plan. White rose and Dark Army are up to some crazy shit with whatever the big machine at the beginning was.

Zoe

Time travel
Time travel
Time travel

Unless y'all are time travelers who have already watched the next episode, anything that aired during the episode tonight doesn't have to be spoilered.

aparisi2274

You know...
alternate realities
make way too much sense. I originally thought whiterose's goal was to reset everything to 0 and then recreate society, but why do that when you can do
alternate realities.
It has a lot of relevance to society considering that you wonder where the future of VR will go, and whether people can create powerful enough technology to be able to recreate worlds as if they were gods. You would be the master of your own time at that point.

That could be likely too with the E Corp guy training at the nuclear plant and talking about alternate dimensions/realities. It's definitely a tease.

Alt realities are nothing new in shows... Fringe did it, Man in the High Castle is doing it, so why not Robot.

Also, I think that maybe the shot we saw in the opening sequence is White Rose's attempt at building a machine that will allow him/her to open a door to another reality...

Who knows though? We can get to the end of the season and find out the show is about coo-coo clocks...

LordCanti

That was a great episode. I'm not sure if I believe White Rose hasn't just brainwashed Angela but I'm open to being teased with time travel and parallel worlds some more until we find out.

My only complaint is one that others had: The show looked awful on TV. The blockiness was incredible. I hope they can fix that.

KarmaCow

Even if they did decide to go with something as bonkers as literal time travel or alternate realities in a relatively grounded show, I would think they would be smarter about hinting at that. For a show that seemingly like to play with audience expectations and is in its third season, I doubt they would seed that idea by having characters explicitly say it.

I like the
time travel
alternate realities
Yeah, I like the idea of alternate realities/timelines, parallel universes, or something along those lines being a thing.

That said, I think the show may just be fucking with us to throw us off.

HariKari

Even if they did decide to go with something as bonkers as literal time travel or alternate realities in a relatively grounded show, I would think they would smarter about hinting at that. For a show that seemingly like to play with audience expectations and is in its third season, I doubt they would seed that idea by having characters explicitly say it.

The central theme of the show has always been the mystery around Whiterose's plant, why it's so important, and how their parents died. They have been drip feeding things for long enough that they now want to go into it full speed.

Even if they did decide to go with something as bonkers as literal time travel or alternate realities in a relatively grounded show, I would think they would be smarter about hinting at that. For a show that seemingly like to play with audience expectations and is in its third season, I doubt they would seed that idea by having characters explicitly say it.

It's been hinted at since season 1, where the only thing we knew was whiterose telling Elliot that while his interest is in hacking people, her interest is in hacking time.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
im not buying into the time travel bit, but perhaps something that could reset the country? the world? a massive EMP or EMP like device?

She sets up a government ready to step in after its set off and thus she controls reality.

dunno.

time travel still doesn't seem plausible. mental illness is one thing. time travel is all on the other side of the map.

only one episode deep. it's not really worth thinking about.

im not buying into the time travel bit, but perhaps something that could reset the country? the world? a massive EMP or EMP like device?

She sets up a government ready to step in after its set off and thus she controls reality.

dunno.

time travel still doesn't seem plausible. mental illness is one thing. time travel is all on the other side of the map.

only one episode deep. it's not really worth thinking about.

Yeah I don't think we're getting time travel. If anything, we're probably getting alternate universe in the form of technology controlling the way we perceive and sense the world around us. If we could eliminate mediocre inputs + mold reality the way we want it to be molded, then time no longer matters. You would be able to achieve immortality this way (provided that your body doesn't break down if you're in the "matrix")

Drifters

Is Mr. Robot
time traveling backwards into Elliot and manifesting as a split personality, rather than just a manifestation of psychosis?

That’d be some 12 Monkeys sci-fi shit, yo.
This occurred to me tonight that in fact it is most likely the case. White Rose is most likely a side effect to show The Ying to Elliot’s Yang. The interesting piece is that the only path ever forward was what Season 1 and Season 2 were about; Elliot discovering that his perception of Time was always his enemy of his own reality. That with each hack he basically got closer and further apart each and every time. Each truth he seeks his another lie to be consumed and quite frankly, I fucking love it!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Pls keep changing the OT title every other day or after every episode, mods. I like that. I got confused for a second there.

chefbags

Yo anyone feel like Darlene is bugged? When Darlene and Elliot were both at the redwheelbarrow place, Darlene was being more than explicit on the information she wanted from Elliot.

And that made me think she's turned to Dom and is giving info to her.

Permanently A

Yo anyone feel like Darlene is bugged? When Darlene and Elliot were both at the redwheelbarrow place, Darlene was being more than explicit on the information she wanted from Elliot.

For sure, cause she called them in the bathroom to get them as protection from DA (that's why the FBI was following them and she looked so alarmed when the taxi driver called them off). Also Elliot and Darlene won't be able to fight Whiterose without the FBI's help.

Farooq

Banned

She also deflected Elliot's questions in the apartment. It does seem like she is wearing a wire.

LordCanti

Yeah it was pretty blatant. The call for help really sealed it since she doesn't have anyone else to call at this point. It was telling that Elliot thinks Angela is the only one he can trust right now.

One thing you'll notice in the episode:
When Mr. Robot is M.I.A.
in the first half of the show, all the shots are shot like how a normal director/cinematographer would: Center focus, or Rule of Third. When
Mr. Robot shows up
, the camera changes to the signature lower frame or corner shots.

chefbags

One thing you'll notice in the episode:
When Mr. Robot is M.I.A.
in the first half of the show, all the shots are shot like how a normal director/cinematographer would: Center focus, or Rule of Third. When
Mr. Robot shows up
, the camera changes to the signature lower frame or corner shots.

Damn. Didnt notice at first. Esmail knows what's up. Always like that he's directing every episode. It feels like his vision coming to life without any worries from other directors somehow messing it up.

Okay, even though I had a few complaints about S2, I thoroughly enjoyed most of it, even if it felt like it spun its wheels for a large portion of it. There was some fantastic character development through out though.

S3's premiere was just more 'fun' in general. Far more streamlined & set up the major motivations for the characters for the rest of the season. Can't wait to see how it all plays out

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Damn good premiere. The time travel thing was unexpected, but it actually makes sense thematically. To me this is just consistent with the show's general theme of the futility of control – and what is more futile than trying to control time and space? I don't expect the characters to ever be able to actually, physically go back or forward in time, or enter alternate universes or whatever, though I wouldn't put it past Esmail to fool us into thinking that they are.

EDIT: Touch. So good.

Is this show the new LOST ? same kind of crazy theorizing going on.

Loved the ending with my favorite RAM song playing in the back.. although I found the Trump stuff to be a little too much on the nose.

Sometimes when watching I'm thinking; 'is this show really that interesting anymore ?' the whole evil bank thing is a bit cheese.... but then the writing, acting, framing and music of every scene just pull me in.. if I made a show, I would make it like this.

Top Bottom