• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I like Angie Tribeca and think it succeeds about as much as A Touch of Cloth did, but one thing I will say is that it demands to be watched in a way most people don't watch TV these days. It can't be a background thing, you really need to be paying attention to catch the sight gags and wordplay as fast as it comes. Like Airplane or other stuff in the similar vein, the point isn't any one scene or joke being funny, it's the breakneck pace of the shotgun approach to making jokes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Harlots (Hulu, ITV) has been renewed for a second season! :D

Harlots is a really fun show that more people should be watching, and another good example of how most of the best new shows this year have focused almost exclusively on women (Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies, GLOW, Feud, Claws).

berzeli

Banned
I like Angie Tribeca and think it succeeds about as much as A Touch of Cloth did, but one thing I will say is that it demands to be watched in a way most people don't watch TV these days. It can't be a background thing, you really need to be paying attention to catch the sight gags and wordplay as fast as it comes. Like Airplane or other stuff in the similar vein, the point isn't any one scene or joke being funny, it's the breakneck pace of the shotgun approach to making jokes.
It basically comes down to that Angie Tribeca lets you know it made a joke, A touch of Cloth doesn't care if you noticed or got the reference it made four more jokes that you missed by thinking about that first joke. And when you watch Angie in comparison it just feels a bit... slow?

And the puns are on another level. The way they kept working in puns based on their character's surname being Cloth was just incredible.
"The fact is the bodies keep washing up"
"Whatever"
"Washing up, Cloth"

"So, you're gay?"
"Bi, Jack"
"No don't go. It's none of my business"

Chitown B

Angie Tribeca suffered from not being A Touch of Cloth, which is just a much better show with basically the same concept.

suffered? it's still here and last season's twist was great. you speak of it like it's not around yet it just got renewed for S4.

It basically comes down to that Angie Tribeca lets you know it made a joke, A touch of Cloth doesn't care if you noticed or got the reference it made four more jokes that you missed by thinking about that first joke. And when you watch Angie in comparison it just feels a bit... slow?

And the puns are on another level. The way they kept working in puns based on their character's surname being Cloth was just incredible.
"Whatever"
"Washing up, Cloth"

"So, you're gay?"
"Bi, Jack"

See I don't really find either of those funny. It seems there were only 6 episodes of Cloth, and I'd never heard of it. Difference here is there have been 30 of Angie. Harder to keep the breakneck speed in so many episodes, as opposed to a limited series like Cloth seems to have been.

mm04

This is so true and why I haven't watched even Season 2 yet. I really have to be in the mood to watch it and it demands your full attention. Which is funny to even have this discussion, but that's the nature of having so many distractions at your fingertips nowadays. Kinda sad in a way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I must be crazy because I background watch Tribeca mostly for the bad puns. To me, it's like a lazier version of Brooklyn 99 (which I'm sure is going to get me killed around here lol).

Admittedly, B99 tries to go for more developed jokes and has actual characters, where Tribeca is just a bad pun/visual gag factory, so I suppose it's not fair to compare them other than the fact that they both make fun of police procedurals.

berzeli

Banned
suffered? it's still here and last season's twist was great. you speak of it like it's not around yet it just got renewed for S4.

See I don't really find either of those funny. It seems there were only 6 episodes of Cloth, and I'd never heard of it. Difference here is there have been 30 of Angie. Harder to keep the breakneck speed in so many episodes, as opposed to a limited series like Cloth seems to have been.
[When I watched it,]Angie Tribeca suffered from not being A Touch of Cloth, which is just a much better show with basically the same concept.
Clearer now? I didn't mean that the show was dead, I was talking about my experience of watching it.

Ok.
It's from the dude who created Black Mirror, it's not that obscure.
Quality>Quantity
Literally 3 years worth of British tv!
In fairness to Charlie Brooker, he also developed and wrote the first two seasons of Black Mirror (which admittedly still not that many episodes), two series of Weekly Wipe (12 episodes), a videogame documentary for TV, 2 of his yearly Wipes, and co-wrote and appeared in at least one series of 10 O'Clock Live (8 episodes, or 18 depending on how you want to look at it) whilst working on A Touch of Cloth.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Months ahead of it's season 3 premiere, Lifetime has renewed UnREAL for a fourth season. Mary Kills people has also been renewed.

In fairness to Charlie Brooker, he also developed and wrote the first two seasons of Black Mirror (which admittedly still not that many episodes), two series of Weekly Wipe (12 episodes), a videogame documentary for TV, 2 of his yearly Wipes, and co-wrote and appeared in at least one series of 10 O'Clock Live (8 episodes, or 18 depending on how you want to look at it) whilst working on A Touch of Cloth.

something something quality > quantity something something

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Months ahead of it's season 3 premiere, Lifetime has renewed UnREAL for a fourth season. Mary Kills people has also been renewed.

something something quality > quantity something something
It's more that BBC and C4 shows are publicly funded and they also have certain mandates they need to fulfill in terms of the content they produce. I think it's a fair compromise when I think about the CBC in that context - it's a difference between creating fewer longer running shows or more short running shows and you can tell that some shows would be cut quite quickly if the former was BBC policy.

That said, it also means that topical news comedy/panel shows can never run for a full year which is very silly. I would love a dose of Frankie Boyle cynicism in my veins every week. lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
I guess I must be crazy because I background watch Tribeca mostly for the bad puns. To me, it's like a lazier version of Brooklyn 99 (which I'm sure is going to get me killed around here lol).

Admittedly, B99 tries to go for more developed jokes and has actual characters, where Tribeca is just a bad pun/visual gag factory, so I suppose it's not fair to compare them other than the fact that they both make fun of police procedurals.

I mean, it's not really "lazy." It's just a different style of humor. They go for a very specific kind of humor that no one else really does anymore and (obviously) isn't for everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is part of the BBC mandate:
To show the most creative, highest quality and distinctive output and services
Innovative content covering many different genres will be provided across a range of services and platforms, setting the standard both in the UK and globally.

To reflect, represent and serve the diverse communities of all of the United Kingdom's nations and regions and, in doing so, support the creative economy across the United Kingdom
The lives of the people in the United Kingdom today will be accurately and authentically portrayed in the BBC's output and services to raise awareness of different cultures, contribute to social cohesion and invest in the development of each nation's creative economy.

To reflect the United Kingdom, its culture and values to the world
High quality, accurate, impartial news coverage will be delivered to international audiences, aiding understanding of the UK as a whole.

This is part of the C4 mandate:
Be innovative and distinctive
Stimulate public debate on contemporary issues
Reflect cultural diversity of the UK
Champion alternative points of view
Inspire change in people's lives
Nurture new and existing talent

I don't know if PBS has a similar mandate, but probably not since I don't think there are any PBS original dramas or comedies. But the diversity of views means that producing more shows with fewer episodes is a better way to fulfill that mandate. That said, they still have the shitty soap operas but those are cheap as hell so. lol

I mean, it's not really "lazy." It's just a different style of humor. They go for a very specific kind of humor that no one else really does anymore and (obviously) isn't for everyone.
Maybe lazy isn't the right word. Easy? The punchlines are just meant to be obvious I suppose.
I assume that NTSF SVU CSI whatever show that aired a few years ago was similar, but I never watched that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
zxtC6N9.png

#Hearties gonna be all over this

rtcn63

"Whatever"
"Washing up, Cloth"

"So, you're gay?"
"Bi, Jack"

Yeah. I watched the first episode of Angie and it was just too... direct. Clinical. A Touch rewards you with paying attention.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is that the Netflix show no one talks about?
Probably. I think it does okay "ratings" wise, but like Fuller House maybe there is just nothing to talk about lol.

Harlots (Hulu, ITV) has been renewed for a second season! :D

Harlots is a really fun show that more people should be watching, and another good example of how most of the best new shows this year have focused almost exclusively on women (Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies, GLOW, Feud, Claws).
As a woman I haven't watched any of these...am I...failing?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any word on more Last Chance U? I imagine if they were filming a S3, it would be known since the 2017 season has passed right? Football season that is

AMC greenlights a Rainn Wilson alien TV show, and orders Marti Noxon's "Dietland" to series.
Wilson’s as-yet-untitled pilot centers on a polyamorous, middle-aged man (played by Wilson) living in the San Fernando Valley whose body is taken over by an alien entity. The potential series counts Wilson, in addition to Naomi Odenkirk and Marc Provissiero (Better Call Saul), among its EPs.
Noxon’s Dietland, based on the 2015 novel by Sarai Walker, has received a 10-episode order. “Set against the backdrop of the beauty industry, this part-character drama and part-revenge fantasy will explore society’s obsession with weight loss and beauty,” the official logline reads. It will bow in 2018.
The other shows on their slate are:
* Shock Theatre, a science-fiction/horror anthology from Walking Dead EP Greg Nicotero, in which every episode is inspired by different B-movie classics.
* Horror anthology Underbelly, written by The Son‘s Dan Connolly, which aims to expose the dark side of pop culture.
* In the Middle of the Street, a family drama about parents, marriage, sexuality and politics, adapted from the Colman Domingo (Fear TWD) stage play Dot.
* Oscar-nominated Arrival scribe Eric Heisserer is behind Liking What You See, a futuristic sci-fi entry about a community whose inhabitants willingly undergo a procedure that eliminates their ability to perceive beauty.
* The Age of Miracles, in which Earth’s rotation is suddenly slowed down, causing humans to contract a mysterious new illness as both gravity and the length of day and night are affected.
* The Ballad of Black Tom, about a street musician/hustler in jazz age New York who gets caught up in a Lovecraftian conspiracy after delivering a supernatural object to a sorceress.
* Wicked West, a non-fiction anthology from Blumhouse Television (The Jinx) about disturbing tales out of the Wild West.

Ricker

I like Still Star Crossed,reminds me a bit of Reign,not as good but good enough for summer viewing...and I also like Doubt. :p

I guess I am the only one watching Midnight Texas

PVR'ed,will watch this weekend,looks good,better then that Somewhere Between I hope...stopped after 10 minutes,could not stand that kid any longer.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The Age of Miracles, in which Earth’s rotation is suddenly slowed down, causing humans to contract a mysterious new illness as both gravity and the length of day and night are affected.

That's interesting, maybe.

I think "Underbelly" could be really cool if creatively guided by the right people.

I'm imagining something in the vein of "Antiviral" i.e. something that veers into horror instead of just dark drama.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Moved to a new school but yeah new season

oh shit really? I was actually wondering if they would do other schools, Season 2 showed a few others and it was quite interesting.

I feel like the EMCC "story" is done anyway, especially with
so many people moving on to other jobs and whatnot

I need to check some more of these "documentary shows" as opposed to just hour and a half documentary "movies", its a great format. Any suggestions? I guess Making a Murderer is the onviosu anwser. The Keepers is a "show" aswell right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are a lot of season long sports documentaries that follow a team, along with all the murder shows that people are into nowadays. I don't know if there's been another subject that has been serialized over a tv series though.

---

I decided to give The Mary Tyler Moore show a try after it was referenced on Roseanne and it's weird how familiar it feels despite it's age. Probably the only thing odd about it is that it's 5+ minutes longer than the standard sitcom today, which just makes it slower. Well, that and the direction is a lot more... simple.

I also expected it to be a lot more transgressive, since it's often heralded as the proto-feminist television show. But while the character is transgressive because she's a single woman in her 30s, the episodes that I've watched are pretty standard sitcom fair.

Ricker

So I watched Midnight,Texas,thought it was excellent,looking forward to the rest...I hope it doesnt get cancelled...it's a weird time to start a new series like on the last week of July.

How's Salvation after three episodes? Still shit?

Every episode is worse than the last, so yeah typical summer network sci fi fare

The last episode had them completely ignore the laws of physics in a room full of scientists. Reminds me a bit of that Halle Berry sci fi show, in that the only thing that seems to be emphasized is cool looking sets and beautiful people staring longfully at each other while talking about love.

Rhaknar

The Keepers episode 1: "alright this is pretty interesting, I want to know more"

The Keepers episode 2: "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"

but really, given the subject matter

giphy.gif

WaffleTaco

They're the best new shows of the year so far, so if you're a fan of good TV and you haven't seen them, then it is a fail!
I'm failing!!! Honestly I think I said I was going to watch almost of those and never did/got busy. I'm not sure what I will watch after I finished my game of thrones rewatch and pretty little liars.

Pachimari

I still need to finish Arrow, The Originals, The Handmaid's Take, American Gods and Fargo before getting back to season two of Game of Thrones. Are Handmaid's Tale, American Gods and Fargo all done for the season?

WaffleTaco

I still need to finish Arrow, The Originals, The Handmaid's Take, American Gods and Fargo before getting back to season two of Game of Thrones. Are Handmaid's Tale, American Gods and Fargo all done for the season?
Yup they are all done for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom