• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A Ghost Story" Trailer - Casey Affleck/Rooney Mara

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This looks incredible/beautful to me. It seems to be very Terrence Malick influenced and ready to make me cry.

MV5BMzcyNTc1ODQzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTgzMzY4MTI@._V1_UX666_CR0,0,666,666_AL_.jpg

https://youtu.be/c_3NMtxeyfk

takoyaki

The movie got great reviews, 94% on RT

The trailer is supposed to spoil a lot of the plot. Haven't watched it, just a heads-up!

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Trailer does show like the whole movie, especially what looks like the last act... it was on before It Comes At Night.

Looks too emotional for me but the concept is cute.

kevin1025

Banned
It's coming to Canada on July 21st, I will definitely be there for this one. Looks great!

(Dunkirk, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and A Ghost Story on the same day. Movie Christmas!)

Cmerrill

It's coming to Canada on July 21st, I will definitely be there for this one. Looks great!

(Dunkirk, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and A Ghost Story on the same day. Movie Christmas!)

Awesome! I was wondering this.

Icolin

Banned
Ain't Them Bodies Saints and Pete's Dragon were great, so I'm really excited for this. Plus, the reviews have been stellar for this.

Hamlet

It's certainly going to be a pretty polarizing film heh. At the screening I saw it at last week over 30 people walked out of it.
I really dug it and found it to be a fascinating film, but there are a couple of scenes throughout this which are definitely going to test some viewers.

They mean that some might think this movie is actually a horror instead of what it is actually.

Actuall, now that I think about it, a lot of recent A24 films have had this "problem" of the general audience thinking they're going to see a cheap, turn your brain off horror movie and then getting upset that it was actually something else.

Cmerrill

It's certainly going to be a pretty polarizing film heh. At the screening I saw it at last week over 30 people walked out of it.
I really dug it and found it to be a fascinating film, but there are a couple of scenes throughout this which are definitely going to test some viewers.

Care to elaborate with spoiler tags?

Cmerrill

They mean that some might think this movie is actually a horror instead of what it is actually.

Actuall, now that I think about it, a lot of recent A24 films have had this "problem" of the general audience thinking they're going to see a cheap, turn your brain off horror movie and then getting upset that it was actually something else.

I don't see how this trailer would mislead anyone into thinking this. It's pretty clearly a different tone altogether.

Hamlet

Care to elaborate with spoiler tags?

Honestly the trailer is a tad misleading at least pacing wise as the film itself has a very slow deliberate pace to it with minimal dialogue for the majority of it.
The one scene which just broke people at my screening involved a two static shots of Rooney Mara eating a pie for a good 5-7 minutes.

I don't see how this trailer would mislead anyone into thinking this. It's pretty clearly a different tone altogether.

Yeah, I agree with you. But some random couple on a Friday night going to the movies and picking a movie titled "a ghost story" at random might not have seen the trailer.

I saw "The VVitch" and "It Comes at Night" and both of those had people walk out bashing the movie cause "it was slow" and "nothing happened" and "where was the monster."

I dunno, the trailer looks super pretentious to me, like "oh look at me I made a movie about how profound thinking about life and death is and I put in completely idiotic looking props because its MYSTERIOUS, man".

Granted, I am pretty much the exact opposite of what the audience for this movie is gonna be (John Wick 2 is my favorite movie of the year) so not a surprise I wouldn't like it.

Cmerrill

Honestly the trailer is a tad misleading at least pacing wise as the film itself has a very slow deliberate pace to it with minimal dialogue for the majority of it.
The one scene which just broke people at my screening involved a two static shots of Rooney Mara eating a pie for a good 5-7 minutes.

Whats the soundtrack like? Any actual music/score to the film?

I'm a huge Malick fan, so I hoping it's a kin to his style.

It's A24, everyone should realize by now that it means the film's not going to be for everyone. That's kind of what A24 does. Trailer is great but you can tell it's definitely going to be more meditative than what they're selling it as. But again, that's kind of what A24 does.

Hamlet

Whats the soundtrack like? Any actual music/score to the film?

I'm a huge Malick fan, so I hoping it's a kin to his style.

Fantastic soundtrack and it's easily up there with Raw as one of the best scores of the year so far for me. Some really beautiful moment where the scenery and score just elevate the whole thing.
And yeah if you're going in with a Malick frame of mind you should be happy with it.

30?! That feels like a record.

Meier

I saw a trailer for this at the Drafthouse some months back. Not really sure I could deal with the format in this day and age to be honest. I read an article somewhat recently, maybe a month ago, that outlined the number of movies in recent years who have used non-traditional format (4:3 like this and others).. sort of surprising. All indie of course.

Ain't The Bodies Saints is such a weird movie to me because I love the individual parts of it but I can't say I love the movie.

Dude is aping Malick again, but it's all good.

Icolin

Banned
Ain't The Bodies Saints is such a weird movie to me because I love the individual parts of it but I can't say I love the movie.

To be the best, you gotta ape the best. I welcome Malick imitators.

Now if only some of them worked in animation. I need that Malick lite anime in my life.

Razorback

Sold!

Saw this trailer the last time I went to the movies.

It honestly looks fucking terrible. And the trailer was super weirdly-cut; I had a hard time making out what was happening.

The fact that Casey Affleck is in it just adds insult to injury.

I dunno, the trailer looks super pretentious to me, like "oh look at me I made a movie about how profound thinking about life and death is and I put in completely idiotic looking props because its MYSTERIOUS, man".

Granted, I am pretty much the exact opposite of what the audience for this movie is gonna be (John Wick 2 is my favorite movie of the year) so not a surprise I wouldn't like it.
Idiotic looking props like what?

The ghost is done as an actual sheet ghost and I think it's pretty hilarious actually, not really pretentious at all.

I liked John Wick 2 as well, it's possible to like dramas and action movies.

kswiston

I didn't realize that Canada was getting this late. Boo to that. I was planning on going, but I am moving at the end of July, so it might not be possible...

I say this as someone who is going to end up seeing A Ghost Story in theaters...

But, Ain't Them Body Saints is such effervescence nothingness. I can recall a scene with a pregnant Rooney Mara on a sofa (I think?) and a shot of her walking in a field, and that's about it. I'd call it a frustrating movie if it had any impact on me. Yet, it was so strange seeing someone in 2013 shamelessly coopting Malick's aesthetics and sensibilities with little to show for it and not be an embarrassment like the actual Malick film To The Wonder just the year prior.

Has anyone seen St Nick, the movie he made previously to Ain't Them Body Saints?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, I agree with you. But some random couple on a Friday night going to the movies and picking a movie titled "a ghost story" at random might not have seen the trailer.

I saw "The VVitch" and "It Comes at Night" and both of those had people walk out bashing the movie cause "it was slow" and "nothing happened" and "where was the monster."

I don't blame people for walking out of The Witch. Its not a film for the casual cinema goer.

Just got out of a screening with the director and this exactly how I felt. There were certain scenes in the film that just hit such a high emotional cord for me but didn't feel like a cohesively great film. Like maybe if it sat and simmered for a bit longer it could have been a masterpiece, something like Synecdoche New York.

Also I can't look at Casey affleck withojt being irritated.

I say this as someone who is going to end up seeing A Ghost Story in theaters...

But, Ain't Them Body Saints is such effervescence nothingness. I can recall a scene with a pregnant Rooney Mara on a sofa (I think?) and a shot of her walking in a field, and that's about it. I'd call it a frustrating movie if it had any impact on me. Yet, it was so strange seeing someone in 2013 shamelessly coopting Malick's aesthetics and sensibilities with little to show for it and not be an embarrassment like the actual Malick film To The Wonder just the year prior.

Has anyone seen St Nick, the movie he made previously to Ain't Them Body Saints?

Haven't seen Bodies, but saw this last night. I can see where your critiques come from with his movies.

Didn't hate it, didn't love it. A lot to admire, but felt unsatisfied or kinda "well" at the end.

Top Bottom