• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chelsea Boots: Yay or Nay?

DrSlek

I wore them with my school uniform way back in the '90s. Nowadays they're my default work shoes.

I'm wearing them right now.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
They are hideous, but people can wear whatever they want.

SDCowboy

I have two pair, and who the hell said they look feminine?
they look like leather shoes.

They look ok while your pants are all the way covering the tops. But once you sit down and the whole "boot" is exposed, they look like women's bootlets.

akira28

They look ok while your pants are all the way covering the tops. But once you sit down and can see the whole "boot", they look like women's bootlets.

only in that they're lowtop boot type shoes. the heel on women's bootlets and the shape are modeled more like pump type shoes and are much curvier and higher. chel boots are pretty flat except for the heel, which is pretty much the only other thing making it a boot.

Ne0n

Banned
they look nothing like womens bootlets! , it's a pretty unisex style of shoe though, chelsea boots for women look pretty much the asme

aldo-black-markin-leather-chelsea-boots-product-2-685070201-normal.jpeg

4359602-1-black

SDCowboy

only in that they're lowtop boot type shoes. the heel on women's bootlets and the shape are modeled more like pump type shoes and are much curvier and higher. chel boots are pretty flat except for the heel, which is pretty much the only other thing making it a boot.

Hey man, to each they're own. They look kind of like women's shoes to me, but I'm certainly not a fashion dude. If I just saw a pair sitting on the floor, I'd assume they were women's bootlets.

Have a black faux suede pair I picked up from H&M. I dig em. Will likely buy a legit pair in a different color sometime.

But your pants / slacks can quite easily break the deal. Slim fit only.

I used to wear them , not so much these days.

I prefer to wear desert boots, docs or brogue boots (i wear this pair quite often as they can be both casual/smart)

Kite

Beatles-in-_Chelsea-_Boots.jpg

meh, still looks like men wearing heels. Even the Beetles would looks better with the more typical fashion boots imo. Personally i wear something like these when I go to work and wanna go a bit more casual.
gear-patrol-thursday-boots-lead-full.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chelseas are fine, especially if you are going for that sort of almost-rocker YSL look. I would avoid the unfinished suede and stick to leather. You should also make sure you have a plan for your pants, whether you're doing them cuffed, over the boot, or heaven forbid under the boot. Many people don't think enough about footwear.

The reality, though, is that if you're not wearing non-descript sneakers, flip flops, croks, or crappy 1950s Italian restaurant owner square-toed boots, you'll make a positive impression in terms of shoes. Any kind of decent dress shoes or boots will look fashion forward.

Chelsea boots would have been an absolute yay about three or four years ago, they're just a simple yay now though.

They're a staple, so you can't go wrong with them... But their popularity cycle in fashion is waning off at the moment.

luffxan

I love Chelseas. My bottegas are an almost daily staple and I'm thinking about grabbing some common projects soon. They're surprisingly versatile I didn't expect to wear them consistently in both streetwear and formal occasions

Been meaning to buy a pair forever. Always worried I'm not someone who can pull them off.

I kind of want those CP ones in the blush pink. Am I crazy?

entremet

I prefer the suede sand ones. Look great with slim jeans. Boot cut ruins it.

I don't think Chelsea's look good if you're a portly fellow, though. There are better shoes if you're that build.

7663413-1-sand

Top Bottom