• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

It's a Westinghouse 55 inch. I turned off all the extra processing already and it still does it.
I had another westinghouse before and it didn't have these problems.

molnizzle

My local Best Buy got one of the 2017 W models set up to demo. Shit is tight. Surprisingly decent audio from the sound bar thing too.

gogojira

With the 2017 models coming in I keep waiting for the B6P to go on sale or even to $1799 which I saw a few weeks ago. It won't though. In fact, they're up to $2300 now lol.

MDave

Alright guys about to get a LG B6 55", have they released the firmware yet for the UK TV's that have bad input lag?

MDave

Not for the B6, no.

Oh nuts! I figured they might have by now, wow. Well that purchase has come to a screeching halt. Is it just bad input lag in HDR mode, or also in non HDR mode in game mode? I could live with with non HDR for now if so.

finalflame

Gold Member
Selling the 65KS8000 today, ahead of moving up the west coast and not wanting to bring all my big stuff (furniture, TVs, large PCs, etc, all getting sold). Hoping to pick up a 2017 OLED further down the road once the LG and Sony sets are out and well reviewed.

Gumbie

Is there anyway to rent new release movies in 4K on my KS8500? According to what I read online the fandango now app should be able to but when I look up movies through the app the only option I have is 1080p. I could always buy a roku 4k and use vudu but I was hoping I could do it with one of the built in apps on the TV.

Thorrgal

So, if the 2500$ listing turns out to be true, where does that put the C7 against the C6 one year ago?

2016 models were $4000 and $6000 for the 55" and the 65" at launch. So 2500/4000 at launch for the 2017 series would be fantastic. That's what I'm hoping for 'cause were I live is impossible to get the 65" B6/C6 for less than 3500€

Orca

Decided to hold off on the KS8000 since they're sold out everywhere I checked. Getting either an LG UH6150 or UH5500 this weekend.

Lexxism

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Realistically, how reasonable would it be to use a 55 or 65" OLED set as a computer monitor?

I'm either getting a big ol 4k TV, or that new 4K HDR IPS monitor that got announced at CES, but if a TV could fit multipurpose for console video games and monitor/PC gaming/FL studio work I'd probably prefer to just buy that.

Burn in worries me about it, and not having Gsync is a bit of a bummer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Still keeping my fingers crossed for a nice 55 incher for around $1500. At this point I'm not even going to be picky about display type. Just 33ms or less input lag, good HDR support, 4k, and relatively accurate color. Do we have any guesses as to what might fit the bill for that?

Kambing

Realistically, how reasonable would it be to use a 55 or 65" OLED set as a computer monitor?

I'm either getting a big ol 4k TV, or that new 4K HDR IPS monitor that got announced at CES, but if a TV could fit multipurpose for console video games and monitor/PC gaming/FL studio work I'd probably prefer to just buy that.

I posted pages back, but I use the 55B6 as a computer monitor. Honestly, in my opinion it is really less than ideal. How do you plan on setting it up? For use on desk or from your couch? I've got mine set on a desk. Sit about 3-4 feet away. 55 inches is really just too big for use outside of games. Scaling using windows @100,150,200,250% does not work well at this size. So I've set my scaling at 100%. Had to use this program, https://maxto.net, to divide the screen into 3 window blocks. I literally roll my chair to switch between windows lol.

Immersion is on another level for games though. After having this setup for close to a month, I feel like a 40-42 inch would be the ideal size for a desktop monitor, striking the perfect balance of function and immersion. EDIT: It's pretty insane to open an excel sheet at 100% scaling as one window... the number of cells is mind-blowing

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I posted pages back, but I use the 55B6 as a computer monitor. Honestly, in my opinion it is really less than ideal. How do you plan on setting it up? For use on desk or from your couch? I've got mine set on a desk. Sit about 3-4 feet away. 55 inches is really just too big for use outside of games. Scaling using windows @100,150,200,250% does not work well at this size. So I've set my scaling at 100%. Had to use this program, https://maxto.net, to divide the screen into 3 window blocks. I literally roll my chair to switch between windows lol.

Immersion is on another level for games though. After having this setup for close to a month, I feel like a 40-42 inch would be the ideal size for a desktop monitor, striking the perfect balance of function and immersion. EDIT: It's pretty insane to open an excel sheet at 100% scaling as one window... the number of cells is mind-blowing

I had a 40" 4k set for a while as a monitor but needed to return it. It was really nice and I dug the size, but unexpected bills came up. I would be doing on a desk too yeah.

Thanks for the insight dude, it's helpful.

holygeesus

Banned

Personally, I would use it if you were just PC gaming, but not for PC 'work'. It's not because I'd be worried about burn-in (doesn't exist on the 2016 range) but there is subtle tinting on these sets, when on all white-screens, which could be distracting when using the net or programs with predominantly white backgrounds. The left and right sides are slightly different colour temperatures (not massively) as they are designed to be lighter at the edges to combat vignetting.

I'm thinking about chucking my 5 y/o 50" old panasonic plasma into the bedroom and pick up a 65" ks8000 (i think that's the 7005 as they call it here in Euroland). I want to get that 4k , hdr action in a 65" package aswell as smacking it up on the wall. My other tv just doesn't feel like it's wall worthy due to the amount of cables and overall chunkiness.

Anything anyone can tell me about it? Or potential competitors?

EDIT: Does it passthrough 5.1 audio from a connected hdmi though optical?

Lacix

I'm thinking about chucking my 5 y/o 50" old panasonic plasma into the bedroom and pick up a 65" ks8000 (i think that's the 7005 as they call it here in Euroland). I want to get that 4k , hdr action in a 65" package aswell as smacking it up on the wall. My other tv just doesn't feel like it's wall worthy due to the amount of cables and overall chunkiness.

It passes through 5.1 audio as DTS if you choose it to the optical output. I had to delay the tv speaker audio (40-80ms) to be in sync with my audio system (Samsung 49KS7000 with Logitech z5250). But It can be done to all inputs.

After a plasma I think you won't like the light bleeding which can occur if there are bright parts on big black background (title screens, info texts on black sreens).
If my samsung plasma didn't die I have waited for the (panasonic) OLEDs to become cheaper. I also see some fine vertical banding in backlight (because of the bottom edge led backlight) which can be seen if there is a horizontal move (e.g. soccer or in game PES 2017). (Maybe it is just my tv)

BumRush

What's your budget?

J-P

Neo Member
When I stream Amazon HDR shows on my B6 it is very, very dark. Additionally, to mitigate this i change the gamma to 1.9 but every time I start a new show it reverts back to 2.2. So annoying. I have OLED light at 100 as well as contrast. Brightness at 51 because any higher and I lose pure black.

Anyone else have similar issues?

When I stream Amazon HDR shows on my B6 it is very, very dark. Additionally, to mitigate this i change the gamma to 1.9 but every time I start a new show it reverts back to 2.2. So annoying. I have OLED light at 100 as well as contrast. Brightness at 51 because any higher and I lose pure black.

What mode are you on?

Tell me what show you were watching (and device?) and I can test it shortly. I have a B6 too.

J-P

Neo Member
What mode are you on?

Tell me what show you were watching (and device?) and I can test it shortly. I have a B6 too.

HDR Standard (user). Goliath and Sneaky Pete are both crazy dark. The Grand Tour seems fine. Using the B6 Amazon app

This actually brings up another issue. Using the Amazon app on my PS4 pro never allows 4K or HDR even if i choose a show that's supposed to do both.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Uh wow!

I ordered the 65" C6 from ClevelandAV Friday morning, and it's arriving today in an hour. That's just 72 hours over the weekend.

I was just headed out to work when they called, now will delay that for a bit, haha.
I won't be able to set it up since I will have to leave for the office, then some errands afterwards.

Yukstin

The Amazon app has known issues where it basically resets to default settings every time you play a new video. It also won't let you pick your preferred HDR settings.

Hopefully it gets patched at some point.

HDR Standard (user). Goliath and Sneaky Pete are both crazy dark. The Grand Tour seems fine. Using the B6 Amazon app

This actually brings up another issue. Using the Amazon app on my PS4 pro never allows 4K or HDR even if i choose a show that's supposed to do both.
I'm watching Goliath and 20 minutes it seems fine for me. It's definitely a dimly lit show from what I've seen. There's a lot of it taking place in bars and at night but the colors really pop.

It's dark and it seems intentional but I'm not seeing crushed blacks or not able to see parts of the image I'm supposed to.

(I kind of want to watch this show now, thanks lol)

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Doesn't Amazon have two options for these kind of shows? One is the standard HD version, and the other the 4k HDR version? Are you choosing the right one?

J-P

Neo Member
Doesn't Amazon have two options for these kind of shows? One is the standard HD version, and the other the 4k HDR version? Are you choosing the right one?

Yes they do but thats. where it gets weird. It's almost impossible to find the UHD versions within the PS4 app. I can only get to them if they are on my watch list. Even though the "UHD" banner is across the show and it says "UHD" in the title, it does not say "UHD" or "HDR" across the bottom where "5.1" etc are listed. On the B6 app it also lists UHD and HDR there. Very confusing.

holygeesus

Banned
Yes they do but thats. where it gets weird. It's almost impossible to find the UHD versions within the PS4 app. I can only get to them if they are on my watch list. Even though the "UHD" banner is across the show and it says "UHD" in the title, it does not say "UHD" or "HDR" across the bottom where "5.1" etc are listed. On the B6 app it also lists UHD and HDR there. Very confusing.

Why not try using the TVs Amazon app instead of your PS4? Have you got the video settings set right on your PS4? RGB Range should be Limited if you have left the B6 at default, otherwise it will look dark as you will be crushing blacks. Auto doesn't work correctly.

Weevilone

I didn't think HDR was enabled in the PS4 apps. I'll have to check it again. The Amazon app generally sucks more than all the other apps anyways.

Top Bottom