• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Dude Abides
Member
(11-18-2017, 12:20 AM)
Dude Abides's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAL0R

I don't know if he has or not. As far as my vote is concerned I'm mostly interested in the laws and policies that he will support. As a matter of personal morality, I believe it's better to not rashly judge people or speculate evil deeds or intentions of them. Why would I speculate he has paid for an abortion, for example? God knows and God alone will be his judge.

Thatís interesting. A lot of his policies, such as allowing business to destroy the environment, depriving people of medical care, redistributing wealth to the richest people, turning away refugees, and militarism, seem inconsistent with Catholic doctrine. Are you a single-issue voter?
Lionel Richie
Member
(11-18-2017, 12:51 AM)
Lionel Richie's Avatar

Originally Posted by CampbellzSoup

Why? Every country should be extremely proud of their people/place of birth and want to be number one

Nothing wrong with that by itself, but nationalism usually leads to social abuse and I'm not sure it's good for the economy either.
12Goblins
Junior Member
(11-18-2017, 12:59 AM)
12Goblins's Avatar
I was very left leaning but it's become an embarrassment to be associated with, just like atheism =/
VAL0R
Junior Member
(11-18-2017, 01:05 AM)
VAL0R's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dude Abides

Thatís interesting. A lot of his policies, such as allowing business to destroy the environment, depriving people of medical care, redistributing wealth to the richest people, turning away refugees, and militarism, seem inconsistent with Catholic doctrine. Are you a single-issue voter?

First, I think you have summarized Trump's policies very unfairly. But anyway, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a single issue voter. However some issues involve grave matter and others do not. Abortion is an issue that involves grave matter and no Catholic in good faith can support any candidate who supports abortion (when there is one who doesn't), as abortion is the willful murder of an innocent human being.

Religious freedom and traditional marriage are two other examples of issues involving grave matter. On both issues I align myself with the Church's teaching.
Metalingus5150
Banned
(11-18-2017, 01:08 AM)

Originally Posted by VAL0R

First, I think you have summarized Trump's policies very unfairly. But anyway, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a single issue voter. However some issues involve grave matter and others do not. Abortion is an issue that involves grave matter and no Catholic in good faith can support any candidate who supports abortion (when there is one who doesn't), as abortion is the willful murder of an innocent human being.

Religious freedom and traditional marriage are two other examples of issues involving grave matter. On both issues I align myself with the Church's teaching.

So hatred of women and hatred of gay people.
sans_pants
avec_pťnis
(11-18-2017, 01:09 AM)
sans_pants's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalingus5150

So hatred of women and hatred of gay people.

standard catholics
Wolfgunblood Garopa
Member
(11-18-2017, 01:15 AM)
Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

The ones that have a free market?
There is no libertarian country in the strictest sense of the word but I'm not sure why that matters. I don't even think I mentioned the word libertarian in the last two pages, I only said I'm against the idea that money is "owed" to people who don't work.

That doesn't contradict democracy or the free market.

Just about every country is a free market system.

I could post a number of times espousing a liberal ideology and never mention the term liberal, would you be able to identify it as a liberal ideology?

The premise that money is 'owed' in the context that you're suggesting is a fallacy. It's an emotional plea in the absence of evidence or understanding. If your self centered ideology was so great, there would be a country that you could point to as evidence. There are more than enough sovereign nations that at least one would have done it.

Originally Posted by VAL0R

First, I think you have summarized Trump's policies very unfairly. But anyway, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a single issue voter. However some issues involve grave matter and others do not. Abortion is an issue that involves grave matter and no Catholic in good faith can support any candidate who supports abortion (when there is one who doesn't), as abortion is the willful murder of an innocent human being.

Religious freedom and traditional marriage are two other examples of issues involving grave matter. On both issues I align myself with the Church's teaching.

There was nothing unfair about that. On the contrary, it was accurate. If Trump could bullshit liberals as well as he does conservatives, he would have played his game as a Democrat and would actually be honest in his stance on abortion.
Dunki
Member
(11-18-2017, 01:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Lionel Richie

Nothing wrong with that by itself, but nationalism usually leads to social abuse and I'm not sure it's good for the economy either.

Patriotism:= Love for their own country
nationalism = feeling of superiority of your country and believe other countries are worse
VAL0R
Junior Member
(11-18-2017, 01:25 AM)
VAL0R's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalingus5150

So hatred of women and hatred of gay people.

This is hardly worth responding to, but no, we love all men. Aquinas taught that to love is to "will the good of another." Every Catholic has a duty to love his fellow man, gay or straight, and of course woman, in this way.

Interesting bit of Catholic trivia: The greatest mere human being most worthy of veneration and the most exalted creature who ever lived is a Jewish woman, Mother Mary, the Queen of Heaven. She is the queen mother who sits at the right hand of her son, the God-man Jesus Christ.

I say greatest "mere" human because our divine Lord Jesus is also truly human (body and soul), as God has added a human nature to the divine nature in the Incarnation.
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-18-2017, 01:36 AM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wolfgunblood Garopa


The premise that money is 'owed' in the context that you're suggesting is a fallacy. It's an emotional plea in the absence of evidence or understanding. If your self centered ideology was so great, there would be a country that you could point to as evidence. There are more than enough sovereign nations that at least one would have done it.

All I said was money was not a right, and you already turned it into a "self centered ideology" or "emotional plea".

I don't need to point to any countries for that. It's a fact. If you want to donate a portion of your money to welfare, that's your business. In fact, why not take this challenge? Tax yourself an extra 50% and give all that money you make from a job away. If you start falling behind on bills then whose fault will that be?
Metalingus5150
Banned
(11-18-2017, 01:46 AM)

Originally Posted by VAL0R

This is hardly worth responding to, but no, we love all men. Aquinas taught that to love is to "will the good of another." Every Catholic has a duty to love his fellow man, gay or straight, and of course woman, in this way.

Interesting bit of Catholic trivia: The greatest mere human being most worthy of veneration and the most exalted creature who ever lived is a Jewish woman, Mother Mary, the Queen of Heaven. She is the queen mother who sits at the right hand of her son, the God-man Jesus Christ.

I say greatest "mere" human because our divine Lord Jesus is also truly human (body and soul), as God has added a human nature to the divine nature in the Incarnation.

Your "love of all men" is contradicted by your vote for Trump. Continue to use your belief in Jesus as a shield for your other shitty beliefs.
Lionel Richie
Member
(11-18-2017, 01:47 AM)
Lionel Richie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

Patriotism:= Love for their own country
nationalism = feeling of superiority of your country and believe other countries are worse

Exactly, nationalism is a demagogic rhetoric that unfortunately seems to, from time to time, plague both left and right-wing politicians.
Wolfgunblood Garopa
Member
(11-18-2017, 01:48 AM)
Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

All I said was money was not a right, and you already turned it into a "self centered ideology" or "emotional plea".

I don't need to point to any countries for that. It's a fact. If you want to donate a portion of your money to welfare, that's your business. In fact, why not take this challenge? Tax yourself an extra 50% and give all that money you make from a job away. If you start falling behind on bills then whose fault will that be?

'Donate' in the context you are suggesting is a fallacy. We do not 'donate' money to the government. We fund the government to provide all manner of services as well as provide opportunities and protection that benefit you in all kinds of ways. Private companies do not operate on this contract with the people- they exist purely to make a profit, and would choose that profit over your well being every time. Can you point to a country in the world that you would look to as evidence that not 'donating' any of your income to the government has shown to provide the benefits that you feel would make life better?
JordanN
Junior Member
(11-18-2017, 02:01 AM)
JordanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wolfgunblood Garopa

'Donate' in the context you are suggesting is a fallacy. We do not 'donate' money to the government. We fund the government to provide all manner of services as well as provide opportunities and protection that benefit you in all kinds of ways. Private companies do not operate on this contract with the people- they exist purely to make a profit, and would choose that profit over your well being every time.

I used donate to refer to what you want to do with your paycheck, not that we donate our money to the government.

Originally Posted by Wolfgunblood Garopa

Private companies do not operate on this contract with the people- they exist purely to make a profit, and would choose that profit over your well being every time.

Wealthy people donate money all the time. Have you heard of Bill & Melinda Gates foundation?

Meanwhile, it's governments who are letting poverty run rampant. If companies exist for profits, then so do governments because of how much they love to tax. At least with wealthy people, I can take a chance and one of them might be willing to help me. Whereas if I go to the government to solve your problems = Hahahahahaha.

Originally Posted by Wolfgunblood Garopa

Can you point to a country in the world that you would look to as evidence that not 'donating' any of your income to the government has shown to provide the benefits that you feel would make life better?

Again, this is beside the point. How does any of what you said change that money is still not a right and thus people are not owed a portion of my paycheck by default?
Wolfgunblood Garopa
Member
(11-18-2017, 02:55 AM)
Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

I used donate to refer to what you want to do with your paycheck, not that we donate our money to the government.


Wealthy people donate money all the time. Have you heard of Bill & Melinda Gates foundation?

Meanwhile, it's governments who are letting poverty run rampant. If companies exist for profits, then so do governments because of how much they love to tax. At least with wealthy people, I can take a chance and one of them might be willing to help me. Whereas if I go to the government to solve your problems = Hahahahahaha.


Again, this is beside the point. How does any of what you said change that money is still not a right and thus people are not owed a portion of my paycheck by default?

That's incoherent.
Darryl
Member
(11-18-2017, 03:04 AM)
Darryl's Avatar
slightly right-wing anarchist in regards to the state, supporting dissolving the fed and letting states re-form new unions.

I am pro mild socialist policies (health care, food stamps, housing) but not under the administration of our current federal government. altho I don't support abolishing that stuff unless we can remove the fed.

stronger immigration laws

I'm also a free speech absolutist and Jewish. no, I do not care about Charlottesville and the modern Nazi movement. in fact I live without driving distance. I do not feel they are threatening and the American Jewish population dwarfs Nazis 3750 fold
Dude Abides
Member
(11-18-2017, 03:10 AM)
Dude Abides's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAL0R

First, I think you have summarized Trump's policies very unfairly. But anyway, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a single issue voter. However some issues involve grave matter and others do not. Abortion is an issue that involves grave matter and no Catholic in good faith can support any candidate who supports abortion (when there is one who doesn't), as abortion is the willful murder of an innocent human being.

Religious freedom and traditional marriage are two other examples of issues involving grave matter. On both issues I align myself with the Church's teaching.

Is it you or the Church that has defined these particular issues as ďgrave matters?Ē Does the Church teach the faithful that they are obliged to support candidates who align with the Churchís position on these issues no matter what the candidateís position may be on other matters, grave or otherwise? Itís been a while since CCD so Iím not up on this but my parents are devout Catholics and felt their beliefs compelled them to not vote for Trump. Does the Church teach that one should support Trump?

Also, in what way does Trump support religious freedom? He rather famously sought to exclude Muslims from immigrating to the United States. Is that consistent with the Churchís teachings on religious freedom?
Night Angel
Member
(11-18-2017, 03:33 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dude Abides

Is it you or the Church that has defined these particular issues as ďgrave matters?Ē Does the Church teach the faithful that they are obliged to support candidates who align with the Churchís position on these issues no matter what the candidateís position may be on other matters, grave or otherwise? Itís been a while since CCD so Iím not up on this but my parents are devout Catholics and felt their beliefs compelled them to not vote for Trump. Does the Church teach that one should support Trump?

Also, in what way does Trump support religious freedom? He rather famously sought to exclude Muslims from immigrating to the United States. Is that consistent with the Churchís teachings on religious freedom?

Religious freedom is the ability to impose your religion on others (as long as you're Christian). When you hear right wingers say religious freedom, they mean they don't want gay marriage or abortion to ever happen, not just for themselves, but for everyone else. They want everyone to conform to the words of their imaginary friend written in ages past. I know this because I hear this kind of shit from my parents.

Anyone against gay marriage can go kick rocks. It's none of your goddamn business what other people do in the bedroom.

Anyone against abortion, go ahead and never get one. I'm not the kind of person to think my beliefs should be imposed on others because of an old-ass book.
PabloBolivar
Banned
(11-18-2017, 03:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Night Angel

Religious freedom is the ability to impose your religion on others (as long as you're Christian). When you hear right wingers say religious freedom, they mean they don't want gay marriage or abortion to ever happen, not just for themselves, but for everyone else. They want everyone to conform to the words of their imaginary friend written in ages past. I know this because I hear this kind of shit from my parents.

Anyone against gay marriage can go kick rocks. It's none of your goddamn business what other people do in the bedroom.

Anyone against abortion, go ahead and never get one. I'm not the kind of person to think my beliefs should be imposed on others because of an old-ass book.

This is like the most ridiculous characterizion I've ever heard of Christians sitting in a basement apartment thinking of your thoughts. Wtf.
Night Angel
Member
(11-18-2017, 04:05 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by PabloBolivar

This is like the most ridiculous characterizion I've ever heard of Christians sitting in a basement apartment thinking of your thoughts. Wtf.

Oh? Then tell me how "religious freedom" somehow encompasses refusing gay marriage, limiting availability of birth control, and making abortion illegal.

I'll wait. EDIT: lmao guess I'm gonna be waiting a while.

Note that I never painted all religious folks with that brush, just those who bandy about the phrase "religious freedom" as if their beliefs are being infringed on in the first place.
TheAtomicPile
Member
(11-18-2017, 04:39 AM)
TheAtomicPile's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAL0R

First, I think you have summarized Trump's policies very unfairly. But anyway, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a single issue voter. However some issues involve grave matter and others do not. Abortion is an issue that involves grave matter and no Catholic in good faith can support any candidate who supports abortion (when there is one who doesn't), as abortion is the willful murder of an innocent human being.

Religious freedom and traditional marriage are two other examples of issues involving grave matter. On both issues I align myself with the Church's teaching.

Where exactly does all of the pedophilia that Catholic leaders perpetrate and subsequently try to hide fall on this "grave matter" scale that you seem to have?

How about sexual assault? You know, the kind that your new Cheeto faced god was caught admitting to? Where does that rank?

Christians have abdicated any shred of feigned moral superiority they used to have.
pramod
Member
(11-18-2017, 07:59 AM)
pramod's Avatar

Originally Posted by Elegant Weapon

Did I ever say "white people or cops are evil" is the reasons for systematic racism?

No, I didn't. In fact, the conversation came from a poster asserting that "hatred" from black americans are the real hinderance and not these researched and well documented issues of systematic racism.

yet you, having little knowledge on the subject and admitting it's not your place, claim that it's more complicated than racism?

would you like to post a reasonable source that details that systematic racism is more than just racism? really, what are you even saying besides trying to refute me with unsourced opinions and change the conversation?

seriously, my point was about actual hinderances to black americans, not reasons for systematic racism. That's not the conversation I'm having, for some reason you keep trying to misinterpret my point

I'm just curious, if you feel that racism is so horrible and intolerable in this country, why do you stay here?

I know you will say "this is my country WTF should I leave", but I'm just suggesting that as an American you are not bound in any way to this country and have the total freedom to go anywhere else you choose. If you feel that things are so bad in this country, have you at least considered moving to a place with less racism?

And if you have not considered it, why is that? Is it because you feel there are still some good things about this country that makes it a net positive place to stay? (not just because your friends and family are here?)
Night Angel
Member
(11-18-2017, 08:10 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by pramod

I'm just curious, if you feel that racism is so horrible and intolerable in this country, why do you stay here?

I know you will say "this is my country WTF should I leave", but I'm just suggesting that as an American you are not bound in any way to this country and have the total freedom to go anywhere else you choose. If you feel that things are so bad in this country, have you at least considered moving to a place with less racism?

And if you have not considered it, why is that? Is it because you feel there are still some good things about this country that makes it a net positive place to stay? (not just because your friends and family are here?)

In real life, people can't just up and leave because bad shit is happening.

Why do people even ask these questions? It takes an enormous amount of effort, time, and money to secure passage and acceptance into another country, and from there you'd have to completely restart your life. No more regular contact with your friends and family. Find a new job. Find a new place to live. With all that, there's no guarantee that wherever you land is any better.

It's just not a realistic solution, and frankly the suggestion is insulting. No amount of "positives" about America wash away the systems that perpetuate racism in this country. Life isn't a check list of pros and cons.
7echnicolor
Banned
(11-18-2017, 09:23 AM)
7echnicolor's Avatar

Originally Posted by pramod

I'm just curious, if you feel that racism is so horrible and intolerable in this country, why do you stay here?

I know you will say "this is my country WTF should I leave", but I'm just suggesting that as an American you are not bound in any way to this country and have the total freedom to go anywhere else you choose. If you feel that things are so bad in this country, have you at least considered moving to a place with less racism?

And if you have not considered it, why is that? Is it because you feel there are still some good things about this country that makes it a net positive place to stay? (not just because your friends and family are here?)

lol

again

this is so fucking ignorant

who the fuck do you think people are that they can just pack everything up and go somewhere else? are you stupid?
Lord Thrappleper The 49th
Member
(11-18-2017, 10:11 AM)
Lord Thrappleper The 49th's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAL0R

First, I think you have summarized Trump's policies very unfairly. But anyway, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a single issue voter. However some issues involve grave matter and others do not. Abortion is an issue that involves grave matter and no Catholic in good faith can support any candidate who supports abortion (when there is one who doesn't), as abortion is the willful murder of an innocent human being.

Religious freedom and traditional marriage are two other examples of issues involving grave matter. On both issues I align myself with the Church's teaching.


So are you happy with Trumps policies of getting rid of all the immigrants and building that wall? I don't keep up with american politics due to the direct correllation of losing brain cells. But I assume america is a refugee/immigrant free place now? Is the wall as impressive as it sounded? How did he get mexico to pay for it?
Also, i know this is pretty obvious but I like to reinforce common knowledge; but Hillary is rotting in jail for all her crimes right now, correct?
Man Trump sure is a great man for accomplishing all that he promised.
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-18-2017, 10:18 AM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lord Thrappleper The 49th

So are you happy with Trumps policies of getting rid of all the immigrants and building that wall? I don't keep up with american politics due to the direct correllation of losing brain cells. But I assume america is a refugee/immigrant free place now? Is the wall as impressive as it sounded? How did he get mexico to pay for it?
Also, i know this is pretty obvious but I like to reinforce common knowledge; but Hillary is rotting in jail for all her crimes right now, correct?
Man Trump sure is a great man for accomplishing all that he promised.

Literally every country deports ILLEGAL immigrants and protects their borders....that's not a bad thing at all.
Lord Thrappleper The 49th
Member
(11-18-2017, 10:24 AM)
Lord Thrappleper The 49th's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rocket Number 22

Literally every country deports ILLEGAL immigrants and protects their borders....that's not a bad thing at all.

Have you seen the wall then? I cant find pictures of it online. Is it really bigly?
Rocket Number 22
Member
(11-18-2017, 10:27 AM)
Rocket Number 22's Avatar
I haven't searched for photos of it so I don't know
InterMusketeer
Member
(11-18-2017, 02:36 PM)
InterMusketeer's Avatar
According to those tests I'm a left libertarian. I have some conservative views though, and distance myself from identity politics.
Ke0
Member
(11-18-2017, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by InterMusketeer

According to those tests I'm a left libertarian. I have some conservative views though, and distance myself from identity politics.

As I've come to learn, in your country pretty much all your politics are identity politics. How would do you distance yourself from it? (Actually the more I think about it, all politics are identity politics in some way, I mean we have people in here identifying with certain politicians and feel like they identify with certain political views).
Xilium
Member
(11-18-2017, 04:08 PM)
Xilium's Avatar
Fairly libertarian and just left of center according to various test I've taken through the years (which apparently makes me a classical liberal). My general philosophy is "live at let live". That said, I'm basically anti-gun and generally don't think corporations/businesses will self-regulate (to protect employees/environment/ect.).

Beyond that, I'm for the government staying out of peoples business, I'm fairly conservative when it comes to fiscal and personal responsibility, and I'm fairly progressive when it comes to cultural issues (though admittedly, largely due to indifference). As far as the current political climate in the U.S is concerned;

The left seems to have become completely obsessed with identity politics and are just constantly competing with one another to prove who can be the most open-minded and accepting of other peoples and beliefs (to the point of being borderline racist towards white people and anti-cismale), which then leads to the irony of safe-spaces and the complete disregard of anyone that doesn't agree with them (NeoGAF till just recently), which then adds an extra layer of irony considering that close-mindedness is the complaint they most often hurl at the right.

The right...at this point, I don't think they believe in anything beyond loving the military and Jesus. They talk a big game about fiscal responsibly but have nothing to show for it. They have a deep-seeded hatred for illegal immigrants despite most of them living in middle-america and not having to deal with immigrants, illegal or otherwise. They seem to legitimately believe that businesses and the rich have their best interest at heart despite regular evidence to the contrary. They want the government to stay out of your business...unless it's about marriage, the family structure, abortion, prostitution, porn, drugs, ect.. I honestly feel that they are simply being anti-democrats and will do/support just about anything to spite liberals.

Ultimately, I'm a registered non-partisan. Both parties are in a very sad state right now and the 3rd-parties are ridiculous in their own ways. The complete and utter lack of compromise in U.S politics right now is incredibly annoying as well as the stubbornness of the voting populace to not vote out incumbent representatives despite the abysmal approval rating of congress (because the problem isn't with THEIR representative, but everyone else's).
Dmented
Banned
(11-18-2017, 04:20 PM)
Dmented's Avatar

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

lol

again

this is so fucking ignorant

who the fuck do you think people are that they can just pack everything up and go somewhere else? are you stupid?

No shit, I wish I could just pack up and move to Sweden or Norway but it's just not that simple. Shit, getting citizenship itself is a major task let alone everything else. Of course unless you marry into it.

Must be nice to be the type of person who can just move wherever they want to because they don't like something about where they're at.
pramod
Member
(11-18-2017, 05:02 PM)
pramod's Avatar

Originally Posted by Night Angel

In real life, people can't just up and leave because bad shit is happening.

Why do people even ask these questions? It takes an enormous amount of effort, time, and money to secure passage and acceptance into another country, and from there you'd have to completely restart your life. No more regular contact with your friends and family. Find a new job. Find a new place to live. With all that, there's no guarantee that wherever you land is any better.

It's just not a realistic solution, and frankly the suggestion is insulting. No amount of "positives" about America wash away the systems that perpetuate racism in this country. Life isn't a check list of pros and cons.

People do move to other countries all the time. There are tons of Americans living overseas. I don't see why you think it's so unrealistic. Sure it's not an easy life decision to make but if you have skills in demand it's not hard to find a job no matter what country you're in. I brought this up because I actually tried it myself a few years back when I felt certain prejudices in this country put me at a disadvantage and I just wanted to see what's it like in other countries. I only moved back because of family reasons.
InterMusketeer
Member
(11-18-2017, 05:13 PM)
InterMusketeer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ke0

As I've come to learn, in your country pretty much all your politics are identity politics. How would do you distance yourself from it? (Actually the more I think about it, all politics are identity politics in some way, I mean we have people in here identifying with certain politicians and feel like they identify with certain political views).

My country? Do you know where I live?

I try to distance myself from the radical ideas of identity politics the left has been struggling with recently, is what I meant.
Discourse
Member
(11-18-2017, 10:23 PM)
Discourse's Avatar
Christianity is by definition a leftist philosophy. Don't claim to be a Christian and support right wing parties who go against all the teachings of the Bible.
Xdrive05
Member
(11-19-2017, 01:50 AM)
Xdrive05's Avatar
Mine are always changing. Now Iím further right than I have been in years, and libertarian leaning on social issues. That partís been pretty consistent. But always open to being convinced to change views further.

I think that partís important. We live in histerical times. I feel like thereís an obligation to listen as much as thereís a right to speak.
pramod
Member
(11-19-2017, 07:29 AM)
pramod's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xdrive05

Mine are always changing. Now Iím further right than I have been in years, and libertarian leaning on social issues. That partís been pretty consistent. But always open to being convinced to change views further.

I think that partís important. We live in histerical times. I feel like thereís an obligation to listen as much as thereís a right to speak.

What issues have you turned further right on? Just curious.
Durask
Member
(11-19-2017, 07:34 AM)
Durask's Avatar
Don't like socialism as in government actually owning means of production.
Ke0
Member
(11-19-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by InterMusketeer

My country? Do you know where I live?

I try to distance myself from the radical ideas of identity politics the left has been struggling with recently, is what I meant.

You're in the United States right? If not then apologies, but from what I've seen of American politics, everyone uses the whole "identity" politics not just your left wing. You have politicians who target your Evangelicals, fundamental Christians, you have politicians who target the white working class, you have politicians who target rural voters, and so on and so on. Is that not considered identity politics in the US? I don't see how that's not considered identity politics.

I mean aren't political parties by their very nature identity politics? I guess I'm trying to understand how in America only certain things are considered identity politics while other things despite being identity politics as well are not see as such.
Matter
Banned
(11-19-2017, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

lol

again

this is so fucking ignorant

who the fuck do you think people are that they can just pack everything up and go somewhere else? are you stupid?

This poster will never be banned because he's on what's considered the "correct side."

You can be right and still be rude.
Night Angel
Member
(11-19-2017, 11:35 PM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Matter

This poster will never be banned because he's on what's considered the "correct side."

You can be right and still be rude.

And you can also be so wrong it's offensive.
7echnicolor
Banned
(11-20-2017, 01:30 AM)
7echnicolor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Matter

This poster will never be banned because he's on what's considered the "correct side."

You can be right and still be rude.

I love that you donít have any way to refute what I said so you have to try and backseat mod to police my tone lol. My point still stands: Not everyone is able to up and move themselves, and Ďif you donít like it then leaveí is also a shitty expectation to have.
Blood Borne
Member
(11-20-2017, 03:12 AM)

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

I love that you donít have any way to refute what I said so you have to try and backseat mod to police my tone lol. My point still stands: Not everyone is able to up and move themselves, and Ďif you donít like it then leaveí is also a shitty expectation to have.

Ok then, why do so many people want to come to America? As they say people vote with their feet.
Xdrive05
Member
(11-20-2017, 03:22 AM)
Xdrive05's Avatar

Originally Posted by pramod

What issues have you turned further right on? Just curious.

Sure. Iíve moved a bit right on economics and immigration, mostly just because my previous positions were not informed enough (they may have been great positions, but I hadnít reasoned them well myself).

Iím also no longer a fan of liberal arts university culture, campus culture you could say. I think that tired format for higher education has more than run its course. I also think most people shouldnít bother, and instead should learn a trade or follow an alternative higher education track. And thatís typically seen as a ďrightĒ position.

I also see governments (states) as being the root cause of much of the suffering in the world. I think they typically have too much power and thus are lobbied and coopted by special interests (on both the right and left) to the detriment of the people, be them we the people or they the other people over there.

I think the US government should be constitutionally restricted, and the expansion of executive branch powers is a national scandal (and international considering the foreign ramifications). Iíve been saying this for the last three administrations, and no one fucking listens as long as itís their guy doing it. All of sudden Trump gets elected and everyoneís shitting their pants when jaded fucking me is over here trying not to choke on ďI told you soísĒ.

Iím also still a free speech absolutist as I always have been. But these days thatís considered a rightist position. So I have ďmoved to the rightĒ even though I havenít changed one fucking bit.
Blood Borne
Member
(11-20-2017, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Xdrive05

Sure. Iíve moved a bit right on economics and immigration, mostly just because my previous positions were not informed enough (they may have been great positions, but I hadnít reasoned them well myself).

Iím also no longer a fan of liberal arts university culture, campus culture you could say. I think that tired format for higher education has more than run its course. I also think most people shouldnít bother, and instead should learn a trade or follow an alternative higher education track. And thatís typically seen as a ďrightĒ position.

I also see governments (states) as being the root cause of much of the suffering in the world. I think they typically have too much power and thus are lobbied and coopted by special interests (on both the right and left) to the detriment of the people, be them we the people or they the other people over there.

I think the US government should be constitutionally restricted, and the expansion of executive branch powers is a national scandal (and international considering the foreign ramifications). Iíve been saying this for the last three administrations, and no one fucking listens as long as itís their guy doing it. All of sudden Trump gets elected and everyoneís shitting their pants when jaded fucking me is over here trying not to choke on ďI told you soísĒ.

Iím also still a free speech absolutist as I always have been. But these days thatís considered a rightist position. So I have ďmoved to the rightĒ even though I havenít changed one fucking bit.

So true. I just came to this country and learnt Microsoft Excel and SQL on YouTube and got a decent paying job.

I feel sorry for kids learning bullshit courses such as gender studies or some other crap and come out with huge student loan debt and no employable skills whatsoever.

My advice to people is to unless you want to gain some highly specialised skill such as doctor, engineer, etc there's no need to go to uni and rack up debts. Just go learn a trade and/or study from the internet and library or maybe do short courses.


Also, you're correct, you didn't move, it's the left that has become batshit crazy.
CampbellzSoup
Member
(11-20-2017, 03:46 AM)
CampbellzSoup's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blood Borne

So true. I just came to this country and learnt Microsoft Excel and SQL on YouTube and got a decent paying job.

I feel sorry for kids learning bullshit courses such as gender studies or some other crap and come out with huge student loan debt and no employable skills whatsoever.

My advice to people is to unless you want to gain some highly specialised skill such as doctor, engineer, etc there's no need to go to uni and rack up debts. Just go learn a trade and/or study from the internet and library or maybe do short courses.


Also, you're correct, you didn't move, it's the left that has become batshit crazy.

Smart man!
InterMusketeer
Member
(11-20-2017, 04:38 AM)
InterMusketeer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ke0

You're in the United States right?

No, I live in the Netherlands. I voted Party for the Animals last election, so my main concerns are the environment and animal rights.
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(11-20-2017, 04:53 AM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

Patriotism:= Love for their own country
nationalism = feeling of superiority of your country and believe other countries are worse

Most people aren't smart enough to even know those are different and those are the ones where the issues arise.
7echnicolor
Banned
(11-20-2017, 05:42 AM)
7echnicolor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blood Borne

Ok then, why do so many people want to come to America? As they say people vote with their feet.

Thereís an absolute difference between wanting to go somewhere and being able to do it. Why...does that need explaining?
Night Angel
Member
(11-20-2017, 05:45 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by 7echnicolor

Thereís an absolute difference between wanting to go somewhere and being able to do it. Why...does that need explaining?

Dude didn't you know that people wanting to immigrate here means there are no problems in America? C'mon bro. Grab your MAGA hat (make sure it's extra tight) and think like a God fearin', anti-kneelin' soldier of the red, white, and blue.

Thread Tools