• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is "Kid Icarus" and other similar video game titles

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's Japan, I am talking about in the west where the title Pocket Monster has never been mention despite the fact that Pokémon is short for Pocket Monster.

Ah, apologies, missed that. Yeah, the space on promotional material on Japanese artwork that said "Pocket Monsters" was usually replaced by "Gotta catch 'em all" in Western artwork, which is possibly why both phrases were retired at the same time.

vixlar

I just realized how fitting Resident Evil is to 1 and sorta to 4 (because you do get to enter an evil resident)... but 2 and 3 kinda isn't since technically resident only applies to a single housing right?
I always thought the "resident evil" is the t virus,that lives in every body it infects.

PSqueak

Banned
Been wondering why the name of Earthbound in Japan is Mother. Is it because of "Mother Earth"?

The first one was because
It's important to the plot and the defeat of gyig that Ninten's grandmother, Maria, was Gyig's surrogate mother and he is pacified by appealing to the little humanity George and Maria imprinted in him through motherly love.

Now that I think about it, King of Fighters technically doesn't make sense then if it refers to a team of several people. (But I know the tournament wasn't originally team-based, in Fatal Fury)

I never thought of it until KoF 14, but it could be because the team has to take the title from Rugal (in the first game) and later Antonov (KoF 14), after the first tournament you can pretty much assume they kept the name for branding purposes (Antonov does state that he had to buy the rights to the KoF brand).

petran79

Banned
He should be called Kid Perseus instead

btw, in Japan and some other countries such animated series were very popular at that time
A medley of Greek mythology

pygmalio-1782705.jpg

pollon-dvdita04.jpg

Kinyou

I always thought Pit was really Icarus and the game took place in Ancient Greece.

Also what is "Fahreineit"
One of the plot points of Fahrenheit is that it get colder and colder as the story progresses and Fahrenheit is simply how Americans measure temperature (the only major country that doesn't use Celsius btw.). Ironically is the US version not even called Fahrenheit.

In the US it's called indigo prophecy (referring to the indigo child from the game)

The first one was because
It's important to the plot and the defeat of gyig that Ninten's grandmother, Maria, was Gyig's surrogate mother and he is pacified by appealing to the little humanity George and Maria imprinted in him through motherly love.

Also John Lennon's Mother.

Teuoxton

So this isn't something like Metroid where the title of the game refers to the alien parasite rather than the player character (though Samus did eventually become part-Metroid... though I think Fusion ends it with her clearing it up? Which is lame. I wish she was permanent part-Metroid).
Metroid is the Chozo word meaning "ultimate warrior" and was assigned to the species upon completion of the bioweapon project. Basically Samus herself is now a Metroid in two senses of the word: she has the creatures' DNA grafted into her and she is the ultimate warrior in the galaxy by her own merit.

Caronte

Now im really curious, you got a source?

Meanwhile: https://www.wired.com/2009/07/final-fantasy/

Some other sites said that it was true that the company was failing and they thought it would be their final game yet it was still a coincidence they chose Final Fantasy as the name, so we need more info.

Yup, this is it. For whatever reason they chose the abbreviation (FF) before the actual name, 'Final' just happened to match with that.

GenG3000

So this isn't something like Metroid where the title of the game refers to the alien parasite rather than the player character (though Samus did eventually become part-Metroid... though I think Fusion ends it with her clearing it up? Which is lame. I wish she was permanent part-Metroid).

According to the new Chozo lore created for Metroid Fusion, Metroid means "ultimate warrior" in Chozo language. Obviously, the term was created to describe Metroids' combat abilities against the X parasite, but it can be applied to Samus to, the one to surpass them all.

That has never been the true story, read about it. They just used that name because they liked it.
I think that's misremembering or not the whole story - only once did Sakaguchi say that, but he has said in multiple interviews years before that he had been planning on leaving the company go to back to university after that game, so the name was because it was his last game. And Uematsu also filled in with more information years before, saying that was true, but more that the company itself was also on the verge of going out of business, so they wanted to release a game that was their final swan-song, go out with a bang. Here's an example article: https://www.wired.com/2009/07/final-fantasy/.

Squaresoft games hadn't done very well, and only had money for one more game, and Sakaguchi convinced his boss to make an RPG, since DragonQuest had become such a huge hit.

mantidor

I'm sure it was marketing, the name calls attention, much more than the original Japanese name literally translated. The same for Legend of Zelda. They eventually incorporated some backstory to justify the name though.

And Samus is very much part Metroid at the end of fusion.

That's Japan, I am talking about in the west where the title Pocket Monster has never been mention despite the fact that Pokémon is short for Pocket Monster.
Nintendo Power did a couple pieces on Pokemon before it was localized. The first big article they did called it Pocket Monsters and "Pocke-Mon" for short.

Style

Banned
No it didn't.

Yes it did, the company thought it would be the last game they'd ever make.

Turns out that "last game" saved the company.

That has never been the true story, read about it. They just used that name because they liked it.

FF1 has that stupid time loop paradox. Garland is send to the past and the Fiends to the future over and over again. The Four Warriors Of Light go through the loop a final time. After they break it everything they've done become undone and just a legend or fantasy. They were the Final Fantasy all along. ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Not intended, but it makes sense (for the first entry at least).

ASaiyan

Banned
It's been a while since I played Mirror's Edge, but what the hell does "Mirror's Edge" mean? Don't remember any relevance to the game, though I could just be forgetting.

"Super Smash Bros." has had female fighters since the beginning. Not a very great name, unless you wanna go the "bro is gender-neutral" route.

Yakuza 0 stars two guys who aren't yakuza.
Though that's literally the point, and the whole game follows them trying to get back in.

If this thread is for "game titles that are not fully indicative of the content" then...

Is Luigi the actual legal owner of the mansion?

retroman

"K.C. Munchkin," a Pac-man clone for the Magnavox Odyssey², was a play on Kenneth C. Menkin, president of Philips Consumer Electronics.
That reminds me of Yars' Revenge. The creator of that game (Howard Scott Warshaw) simply inverted the name of Ray Kassar, CEO of Atari at the time, to come up with the alien race Yar and their home planet Razak.

Donkey Kong.

562227.gif

Of course I'm aware it was born from the delightfully Japanese sensibility of naming him Donkey to evoke the stubborness of a donkey.

retroman

Space Harrier is also a pretty odd one. You'd think the game's about some kind of jet plane instead of a flying dude. Well, there's a reason for that...

Wikipedia said:
Originally conceived as a realistic military-themed game played in the third-person perspective and featuring a player-controlled fighter jet, technical and memory restrictions at the time resulted in Sega developer Yu Suzuki redesigning it to fit a fantasy setting centered around a jet-propelled human character.

retroman

Fun fact about the C64/Amiga shoot 'em up Katakis/Denaris:

Wikipedia said:
It was re-released as Denaris in 1989. The name Katakis has a Greek origin and was found in a phone book in Gütersloh, Germany. The name Denaris was created by a random name generator, and by coincidence, matches a Greek name as well.

I think that's misremembering or not the whole story - only once did Sakaguchi say that, but he has said in multiple interviews years before that he had been planning on leaving the company go to back to university after that game, so the name was because it was his last game. And Uematsu also filled in with more information years before, saying that was true, but more that the company itself was also on the verge of going out of business, so they wanted to release a game that was their final swan-song, go out with a bang. Here's an example article: https://www.wired.com/2009/07/final-fantasy/.

Squaresoft games hadn't done very well, and only had money for one more game, and Sakaguchi convinced his boss to make an RPG, since DragonQuest had become such a huge hit.

Final Fantasy was meant to be Sakaguchi's final game, not Square's. Square wasn't exactly the top developer of Japan but they were doing relatively fine, at least as far as Team B (Hiromichi Tanaka's) and Team C (Kazuhiko Aoki's) were concerned.

Team A (Sakaguchi's) wasn't doing all too well however and Sakaguchi had a reputation of being a harsh director. When Sakaguchi first proposed his Final Fantasy concept to his colleagues almost no one wanted to join his team because they preferred to work with Tanaka. Only 3 people joined Sakaguchi at first (I like to call them and Sakaguchi the original four Warriors of Light, lol).

When it was time to produce the FF1 cartridges, Square didn't want to produce a large number of them because they wanted to save money for future projects. Additionally, FF1 wasn't even Square's final title even at the time, as Sakaguchi started and finished development of two other games during the development of FF1: a love sim named "Miho Nakayama's Heartbeat High School", and "JJ" which was the sequel to 3-D WorldRunner.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/sakaguchi-discusses-the-development-of-final-fantasy/0102088

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gaiden (外伝, pronounced [ɡaideɴ]) is a Japanese-language word meaning "side story" or "tale", used to refer to an anecdote or supplementary biography of a person.

which is funny because nowadays when a game gets a "gaiden" in its name, it means it is a spin-off story, meaning that if ninja gaiden came out today there should be a "ninja" original game

They tend to do quite well salewise, yes.

oh u

It's been a while since I played Mirror's Edge, but what the hell does "Mirror's Edge" mean? Don't remember any relevance to the game, though I could just be forgetting.

apparently her job straddles in the "mirror's edge" or something like that

retroman

Beyond Oasis is called The Story Of Thor in Japan and Europe. I don't have a clue why. As far as I know, there is no character named Thor in the game.

Spwn

I don't remember what the Quake in Quake is.

Id pretty much had the rock album mentality when naming their games - and I kinda like it when game companies do that. Quake is just a kick ass sounding word. Just like Doom. I like it when a game's name depicts the atmosphere of the game while not being explicit about the content itself.

Top Bottom