• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Nazis march in Berlin in memorial of Nazi-loser Rudolph Hess

Oersted

They were cut short by counterprotestors

After a group of neo-Nazis were controversially granted permission to hold a rally on Saturday to mark the anniversary of the death of Hitler's former deputy Rudolf Hess, they were met by a larger gathering of counterdemonstrators.

According to reporters on the scene, the leftist protesters chanted "Nazis out!" at the 700 or so white supremacists marching in the Spandau area of Berlin.

Their march was cut short, however, by counterdemonstrators who blocked the far-right protesters' route, leading them to end their demonstration around 5:00 p.m. local time. The protest was initially planned to last until 8:00 p.m. Authorities also reported some small clashes on the edges of the neo-Nazi march.

Sentenced to life in prison at the Nuremberg trials, Hess hung himself in his cell, though some right-wing extremists promote the conspiracy theory that he was assassinated by British intelligence.

Marches to mark his death have taken on various manifestations over the years. At one time they were held in the Bavarian town of Wunsiedel, where Hess was originally buried. However, because of these demonstrations, the authorities exhumed his body and had it cremated in order to prevent further memorials.

More here

http://p.dw.com/p/2iVEX

Lock if old

Plum

Sentenced to life in prison at the Nuremberg trials, Hess hung himself in his cell, though some right-wing extremists promote the conspiracy theory that he was assassinated by British intelligence.

Why would they try and obfuscate it with bs conspiracy theories? Don't they know their dear leader also killed himself?

mclem

According to reporters on the scene, the leftist protesters chanted "Nazis out!" at the 700 or so white supremacists marching in the Spandau area of Berlin.

That would be "Spandau Rally".

JordanN

Banned
You'd think nazi's wouldn't like the dude, considering he flew over to the UK to try and sign a peace deal on his own...

It's impossible to understand the thought process of a Nazi. They're a walking contradiction.

AeIHJTi.jpg

They'll celebrate losing and still call themselves the "master race".

Septimius

Isn't this the place that in the past have made a counter game on the nazi's march? They donated X amount of money per kilometer the march went. The donation? Anti racism. The longer they marched, the more people donated to anti racism. I thought that was pretty awesome.

I apologise but we also have very dumb mother fuckers living here. granted there are not many of them but they do exist and we try to deal with them.
It still is a national embarrassment.

Oersted

Wait....isn't this illegal in Germany?

Things like Swastikas, the Sieg Heil chants, the arm or things which are considered glorification of Nazis.

One would think a memorial of Nazi scum is glorification but judge thought otherwise.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's impossible to understand the thought process of a Nazi. They're a walking contradiction.

AeIHJTi.jpg

They'll celebrate losing and still call themselves the "master race".

Not to defend Nazis or anything but if you are them, you can believe race x is superior to race y while not being invincible.

If there was 1 nazi aryan standing before 50 soviet soldiers, they probably wouldn't think "well, he's the master race, he'll overcome these odds"

Also they lost two wars :^)

frontovik

Banned
Also they lost two wars :^)

Read a book before spewing nonsense. Don't equate Nazis with the generation that fought in the First World War. It shows your sheer ignorance.

The Germans who participated in the conflict of that period fought for the ideals of imperialism just as hard as the British, French, and Russians.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Read a book before spewing nonsense. Don't equate Nazis with the generation that fought in the First World War. It shows your sheer ignorance.

The Germans who participated in the conflict of that period fought for the ideals of imperialism just as hard as the British, French, and Russians.

If people are bringing up "they lost a war so that shatters the master race narrative" then I don't see how equating is inaccurate.

Xando

I thought Germany had strict anti-nazi laws. Surprised they let them hold a rally.
People tried to forbid it but a court allowed them

If people are bringing up "they lost a war so that shatters the master race narrative" then I don't see how equating is inaccurate.
The first world war had nothing to do with the master race ideology.

danthefan

Why would they try and obfuscate it with bs conspiracy theories? Don't they know their dear leader also killed himself?

Hess I'm fairly sure flew to the UK in 1941 and played no further part in the war other than being a prisoner so I'm not even sure why he's celebrated.

Things like Swastikas, the Sieg Heil chants, the arm or things which are considered glorification of Nazis.

One would think a memorial of Nazi scum is glorification but judge thought otherwise.

lets not forget that freedom of speech and freedom of association exists in germany as well

Alucrid

Banned
wait wasn't there some dumb image going around about how the germans stopped these marches for hess by donating or some shit?

Thorgal

Of all possible Nazi's to commemorate, they pick the guy who was arguably the biggest dumbass around Hitlers table?

That this was allowed surprised me but the same site had an article about the authorization itself (and its controversy):

Spandau member of the Bundestag Kai Wegner had called on Berlin state Interior Minister Andreas Geisel to ban the march.

"I deplore the decision of Interior Minister Geisel to let the right-wing extremists march through Spandau," Wegner was quoted as saying by Spandauer Volksblatt.

"The so-called Rudolf Hess memorial marches in Wunsiedel were consistently banned from 2005, and the Federal Constitutional Court has upheld this practice," Wegner continued, referring to the rallies held at Hess's second burial place.

He said freedom of assembly was of great importance, "but a democratic society does not have to please a neo-Nazi march."

But Geisel said there were no legal grounds to ban the rally. Several counter demonstrations were planned.
( http://www.dw.com/en/spandau-neo-nazi-rally-to-go-ahead-authorities-say/a-40127135 )

I like how they exhumed and burned his remains, and demolished his grave.

Edit: LOL

"Though I would have liked to ban the demonstration, we have very carefully reviewed this and determined that the liberal and democratic fundamental order unfortunately also holds for assholes," Andreas Geisel, Berlin's state interior secretary told German radio station RBB.

NekoFever

Isn't this the place that in the past have made a counter game on the nazi's march? They donated X amount of money per kilometer the march went. The donation? Anti racism. The longer they marched, the more people donated to anti racism. I thought that was pretty awesome.
Different place but same occasion. They started sponsoring the Nazis to walk in aid of a charity that helps rehabilitate reformed people from the far-right, and decorated the parade route with pink, glittery banners making fun of them.

Dingens

I've gotta say I'm somewhat conflicted over the phrasing

They are supremacists, but are they "white supremacists" in the American sense of the word? They are not promoting "whiteness" but their own twisted ideas of purity, which actually excludes a lot of "white" folk. Just call them what they are, fascists and idiots

Guess the anti-fascist-laws aren't strict enough yet.... on the other hand, at least this way you can actually see who you're up against, I guess

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

the end result either way is he's a loser

Quixzlizx

I've gotta say I'm somewhat conflicted over the phrasing

They are supremacists, but are they "white supremacists" in the American sense of the word? They are not promoting "whiteness" but their own twisted ideas of purity, which actually excludes a lot of "white" folk. Just call them what they are, fascists and idiots

Guess the anti-fascist-laws aren't strict enough yet.... on the other hand, at least this way you can actually see who you're up against, I guess

This is a distinction without a difference. At points in American history, white supremacists were anti-Catholic, anti-Irish, anti-Italian, etc.

The KKK was certainly anti-Catholic at its founding.

Dingens

This is a distinction without a difference. At points in American history, white supremacists were anti-Catholic, anti-Irish, anti-Italian, etc.

The KKK was certainly anti-Catholic at its founding.

to Americans there may be no difference, but when I hear white supremacy I usually think of the KKK first and not necessarily "classic" Nazis in Germany.
(Although they too are undeniably part of a white supremacy ideology, I'd just never call them that since, as I said, it's kinda strange promoting "whiteness" when you're also marginalising "white" groups)

Quixzlizx

to Americans there may be no difference, but when I hear white supremacy I usually think of the KKK first and not necessarily "classic" Nazis in Germany.
(Although they too are undeniably part of a white supremacy ideology, I'd just never call them that since, as I said, it's kinda strange promoting "whiteness" when you're also marginalising "white" groups)

And I just told you that American white supremacist organizations such as the KKK often targeted whites as well.

It seems stupid to rank racist fascists. (I put genocidal originally before editing, but I don't think the KKK ever actually has had that as a policy, beyond "Go back to Africa")

MIMIC

Banned
Protesting is a constitutional right. Even for Nazis as long as they keep to the rules

Only if they said anything forbidden. The neo-nazis in germany have learned to ride the edge of what's legal

Interesting. I just assumed that the laws were more general on what isn't tolerated.

Dingens

And I just told you that American white supremacist organizations such as the KKK often targeted whites as well.

It seems stupid to rank racist fascists. (I put genocidal originally before editing, but I don't think the KKK ever actually has had that as a policy, beyond "Go back to Africa")

It's not a "ranking" at all and also not a differentiation between different layers of evil if that's what you are trying to imply. I just thought it was odd to use a term to describe something that deviates from the description - because I'm sure there are fascist groups out there which would fit it perfectly.
Maybe I'm just old fashioned. So what's wrong with just calling them fascists? that's what they are and that's what they stand for. Doesn't make them appear any less evil.

ExVicis

Wasn't Rudolph Hess the idiot who undertook a secret mission to fly to Britain in a plane then crashed in Scotland, was promptly captured and saw the remaining years World War II play out from the sideline in custody? Why the fuck would you ever have a memorial for that idiot? Are Nazis so desperate to idolize these shitty men that they will completely ignore that they were not just monsters but also huge fucking idiots and losers?

Top Bottom