• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

BlackJace

A lot of people are getting excited about all of the RAM, horsepower, etc. on the next Xbox & thinks that it's going to all go towards games, when they're really not.

They're going to be very disappointed in the end.

That's what I'm saying. Oh well. We have the tears to look forward to.

Raide

A lot of people are getting excited about all of the RAM, horsepower, etc. on the next Xbox & thinks that it's going to all go towards games, when they're really not.

They're going to be very disappointed in the end.

If the whole system has 8 in it and 2 is OS level, 6Gb is a huge amount for a console. Even if it was 4Gb with 2Gb to each, that is still a good amount, just not the amount people expected.

I also don't expect all of the features to be running at one time. If 720 has a hybrid Windows 8 in it, they have already said it uses far less resources and that is the desktop version. Sure add DVR and Kinect and that jumps up but they will know how much to dedicate to those kind of things. Just let developers decide.

So what happens if the Xbox 720 is a media Kinect box?.

I dont care as long as i can play my Gears 4 and Halo 5,6 im happy.
Hope we get some cool Rpg on it too, maybe a more mature fable with witcher 2 combat system.

What i really want is XNA 2.0 for the next xbox.
Gonna be gud just fucking around XNA you can prototype stuff in it very fast.

Meelow

Banned
I dont care as long as i can play my Gears 4 and Halo 5,6 im happy.
Hope we get some cool Rpg on it too, maybe a more mature fable with witcher 2 combat system.

What i really want is XNA 2.0 for the next xbox.
Gonna be gud just fucking around XNA you can prototype stuff in it very fast.

I gave up on Fable after 2,3 and the journey.

See I planning on getting 2 next gen console, Wii U and PS4 or Xbox 720, I'lll have to deiced which one impresses me more the PS4 or Xbox 720.

Chittagong

Gold Member
There is nothing in this rumour that is not surprising. Intel 8 core CPU? NVIDIA GPU?

Jeff Rigby are you ok?!! Reply if ok

So can we expect backwards compatibility or no?

If there is someone that i have to bet on giving Backward compatibility it is microsoft and i hope it is software based and they can override some of the rendering settings like resolution fps will be harder to override i think because its is probably more intertwined in the engine.

vg260

So can we expect backwards compatibility or no?

I'm gonna be super-pissed if no.

I also don't understand why people think XBLA BC would be in but retail would not. Why would one be intrinsically different than the other? What about games on demand? Those are "retail" games.

apana

Banjo Kazooie with Pixar level visuals and lots of RAM confirmed. This time it will be a dating sim.
I couldn't think of any better jokes.

So is Kinect built in almost confirmed at this point?

I'm gonna be super-pissed if no.

I also don't understand why people think XBLA BC would be in but retail would not. Why would one be intrinsically different than the other? What about games on demand? Those are "retail" games.

If xbla is in then retail will too.
Xbla have the same capabilities then retail titles.
Only smaller budgets and teams working on it.

I mean look at trials evolution and Alan wake:AM(has better IQ then the retail version im told)

Banjo Kazooie with Pixar level visuals and lots of RAM confirmed. This time it will be a dating sim.
I couldn't think of any better jokes.

So is Kinect built in almost confirmed at this point?

How would that work build in kinect?
Probably means shipped with kinect right?
Personally i hope they dont ship kinect so they can focus on the console hardware instead of factoring kinect with the price.

If there is no BC or XBLA BC I'm not buying this. Fortunately this Nvidia crap is probably bullshit because Microsoft would be destroying their future endeavors to tell customers stuff wouldn't transfer. Even Nintendo, whos online system is years behind is letting people transfer stuff.

So another question, how much are you guys willing to drop on a system like this? I've never payed more than 399 for a console and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'll go out on a limb an predict Microsoft dumps Kinect 2 as a pack in. The chatter I hear around people in the industry is that there is growing disillusionment with the possibilities of using camera technology for effective control of user interfaces. So why pack it in or pay for custom silicon.

Instead, I expect Kinect 2 to surface on year 2-3 as a platform boost.

I'll go out on a limb an predict Microsoft dumps Kinect 2 as a pack in. The chatter I hear around people in the industry is that there is growing disillusionment with the possibilities of using camera technology for effective control of user interfaces. So why pack it in or pay for custom silicon.

If Kinect 2 is a pack in this thing is going to be expensive as hell so I highly hope its not included for something so useless.

Kinect was too popular with the non-gamer to believe MS does that again, IMO. And then when you factor in other possible multimedia additions, it would make less sense to exclude Kinect.

Karak

I have been wondering about this myself.

I would be down for this. Unlike most I enjoy the Kinect and play it often, but leaving it out and then maybe re-surging with a v2 Kinect later could be useful for them from a business perspective. Depending on if this is a true media machine or not I suppose also goes into it. As I do know that almost everyone that I know who has a 360 does use it for navigation and so forth as well. But hell just throw a cheap stick on mic or something hahahaha.

I also think there is a good chance for BC, whether its a SOC like they have already developed or software. Too many arcade and so forth games out there that they could continue to sell even on the 720. To jump to a new system and know that all that stuff works and that new purchases of even old games would be simple would be a major boon to a new system. Basically log in, transfer gamertag and run.

Kinect was too popular with the non-gamer to believe MS does that again, IMO. And then when you factor in other possible multimedia additions, it would make less sense to exclude Kinect.

How's kinect being selling lately? It seems like the Kinect hype was very quick lived. Software sales seem to be in the toilet also.

darthbob

What kind of deal though? nVidia is having real problems even making a half decent stock for their PC graphics cards. I don't see how they can make any sort of deal, they're like 6-8 months behind.

Perhaps they're 6-8 months behind because they're focusing on the Durango GPU instead.

It's no mystery that GPU sales are slumping, so why not create something that is bound to be profitable with royalties such as a new console GPU?

It might as well be Maxwell House as it will be so hot that you can put a coffee pot on top of the console and make you a cup of joe.

Most Nvidia chips are beyond the TDP requirements of any game console.

Bullshit. You don't know anything about either the size or the TDP requirements of the next Xbox.

What evidence do you have to indicate the next xbox will be compact and/or have a low TDP?

The original Xbox proved that MS doesn't mind releasing a large console in order to make it powerful.

Both the original Xbox and the 360, used absolutely bleeding edge gaming technology when they released. This was key to their success and attracting the type of consumers that will fork over to the cash cow that is Xbox Live, so why wouldn't MS opt for bleeding tech once again?

If Maxwell can be in production by the time the Xbox launches (end of 2013 or 2014), it making its way into the next Xbox isn't out of the realm of possibility.

GAF was damn right adamant that MS was going with AMD. Why would they have any more credibility in their guesses about how big the next Xbox will be?

hodgy100

Devs will take quantity over quality any day, less work that way.

No they wouldn't.

you need the RAM to be fast just as you need a decent amount of it!

If the RAM is slow devs will have to make thier assets use lass memory (lower resolution textures, smaller models etc) so that the data can be streamed in in time to be rendered, also trying to do certain graphical effects with slow frame buffer memory would be an absolute nightmare

Clockwork

Guys guys...

Why are you taking the dev kit specs and making it into "the next XBOX has Intel/Nvidia" hardware.

What's inside the dev kit from a brand/manufacturer standpoint doesn't matter. Prior to this thread the thought has always been that this will be AMD/ATI hardware. This information doesn't have to change that one bit.

All the devs have to target is x86 and DirectX 11 hardware, that closely relates to the performance specifications of the end product. The end manufacturer is largely irrelevant unless they were coding to the metal (which wouldn't even make sense on hardware that isn't finalized and the fact that this dev kit is old).

Bleh.

I understand the logic but Microsoft just bought Skype and there are some free AR features they can include that create a WOW factor in Stores.

SOC allows efficiencies = 2 node size reductions which can either allow a faster clock and cheaper hardware or slower clock and cooler hardware. In any case SoC is in the Xbox powerpoint for a reason, it allows for less expensive hardware; price point is a factor. Xbox 360S is a SoC.

Perhaps they're 6-8 months behind because they're focusing on the Durango GPU instead.

It's no mystery that GPU sales are slumping, so why not create something that is bound to be profitable with royalties such as a new console GPU?

Makes sense. I think a next gen console GPU contract would be more important to them.

Yoda

It will probably take advantage of hyperthreading, I highly doubt we will see a console with 8 cores. So 4 physical + 4 logical.

hodgy100

Bullshit. You don't know anything about either the size or the TDP requirements of the next Xbox.

What evidence do you have to indicate the next xbox will be compact and/or have a low TDP? The original Xbox proved that MS doesn't mind releasing a large console in order to make it powerful.

GAF was damn right adamant that MS was going with AMD. Why would they have any more credibility in their guesses about how big the next Xbox will be?

you don't need evidence it just is! you cannot fit an incredibly powerful system in a games console style space without some serious thermal design like the PS3 had. and nowdays GPU's use even more electricity and produce even more heat than they did 7 years ago. luckily TDp has gone down on higher end CPU's (my q6600 has a TDP of 105w and the latest ivy bridge i5 has a TDP of 77w and its much more powerful)

but yeah GPU's use much much more power now. the GPU in the 360 (roughly a Radeon X1800) has a TDP of 70W and the ps3's (GeForce 7800 equivalent?) has a TDP of 81W

Modern high end GPU's have a much higher TDP the GTX 670 for example (a high range card) has a TDP of 170W! The AMD Radeon HD 7870 also has a TDP of 175W.

Neither of these are each companies best card and the top end cards use much more power and produce even more heat!(not including dual chip cards)

The GTX 680 has a TDP of 195W
and the HD 7970 has a TDP of 250W!

Putting these chips in a confined space will be a hefty challenge!

I know being bleeding edge is Microsoft and Sony's thing. im just saying they very well might not be the most powerful machines on the market, but they could have very respectable parts.

Saying that, I hope MS and Sony Rise to the challenge and succeed.

Triple U

Banned
Guys guys...

Why are you taking the dev kit specs and making it into "the next XBOX has Intel/Nvidia" hardware.

What's inside the dev kit from a brand/manufacturer standpoint doesn't matter
. Prior to this thread the thought has always been that this will be AMD/ATI hardware. This information doesn't have to change that one bit.

All the devs have to target is x86 and DirectX 11 hardware, that closely relates to the performance specifications of the end product. The end manufacturer is largely irrelevant unless they were coding to the metal (which wouldn't even make sense on hardware that isn't finalized and the fact that this dev kit is old).

Bleh.

Uh yeah it does. You are not going to see a dev-kit with a Nvidia CUDA laden GPU while the retail unit has AMD GCN or whatever. You can bet whatever you want that whatever manufacturer ends up in the dev-kit will end up in the retail unit.

And prior to this thread people were basing thoughts on "secret-inside-sources" and random rumors that almost nobody can confirm. We who are "not so privileged to get secret info" are just supposed blindly follow that while ignoring this which seems 100% more credible?

Thats some hella sound logic you got there.

I understand the logic but Microsoft just bought Skype and there are some free AR features they can include that create a WOW factor in Stores.

SOC allows efficiencies = 2 node size reductions which can either allow a faster clock and cheaper hardware or slower clock and cooler hardware. In any case SoC is in the Xbox powerpoint for a reason, it allows for less expensive hardware; price point is a factor. Xbox 360S is a SoC.

Yeah but SoCs also have limitations. Its far from a lock that there will be one in the next Xbox. And yeah that document is outdated as all hell at this point.

Makes sense. I think a next gen console GPU contract would be more important to them.

I think it would be downright essential.

If all three consoles go AMD, that's a big blow to Nvidia. Game devs will develop around ATI architecture as the lead platform almost exclusively.

I could see Nvidia prioritizing winning over a big contract like this over rushing out their next pc line.

How's kinect being selling lately? It seems like the Kinect hype was very quick lived. Software sales seem to be in the toilet also.

Kinect 1 is entering into "old and busted" territory. A new and improved Kinect with a new console would get the fire back for the non-gamer. That group is normally fickle when it comes to electronics decisions.

MS is supposedly using GlobalFoundries for Xbox 3 chips. Everything I've seen suggests nVidia has no involvement with GF. And Intel has always done theirs internally if I understand correctly.

Guys guys...

What's inside the dev kit from a brand/manufacturer standpoint doesn't matter. Prior to this thread the thought has always been that this will be AMD/ATI hardware. This information doesn't have to change that one bit.

Bleh.

It matters because they are different architectures. This isn't like the open environment of the PC where devs have to design their game for varying power levels and architectures. Comparable components do not always have the same performance.

Beaten by TripleU.

the xbox 360s doesn't exist bro.

Karak

Uh yeah it does. You are not going to see a dev-kit with a Nvidia CUDA laden GPU while the retail unit has AMD GCN or whatever. You can bet whatever you want that whatever manufacturer ends up in the dev-kit will end up in the retail unit.

And prior to this thread people were basing thoughts on "secret-inside-sources" and random rumors that almost nobody can confirm. We who are "not so privileged to get secret info" are just supposed blindly follow that while ignoring this which seems 100% more credible?

Thats some hella sound logic you got there.

I have always felt and stated that MS, like any console dev, will have 2-4 ideas of a system and many of them will be championed by different groups within the org until 1 is finally 100% decided upon. They all do it and they would be dumb not to. Perhaps there was something going on with AMD then it moved to Nvidia. Totally possible while different techs are being suggested and see if they fit into what MS want's to do now. Versus some old document. I for one would never want a company to just statically sit on some old plan without some flexibility in moving forward. MS showed that with the 360 and the many variations of that hardware that could have made it to market. If a financial and business reason presented itself any company would jump at a switch if it seemed to offer an advantage and fit with their overall plan.

But this like all things could be the same chum in the news we always get.

Clockwork

Since it's a Microsoft device, chances are they wouldn't use CUDA but some variant of DirectCompute anyway making your point irrelevant.

It matters because they are different architectures. This isn't like the open environment of the PC where devs have to design their game for varying power levels and architectures. Comparable components do not always have the same performance.

Really, this early in the game it doesn't matter. MS has a target performance wise that they are aiming for. They put together kits that approximate what kind of performance you could expect. At this stage (talking about months ago...that hardware is from what...February?) it really doesn't matter as long as it falls within that performance target.

Marco1

If nextbox isn't BC then fuck'em!
I tried kinect and hated it, their SKY app is half-assed and I see no value in gold any more.
The slim HW was great and such an improvement over the old model and I loved the option to install games to HDD and the they have the best controller in the business but I will be giving PS4 and nextbox 12 months after release before I decide and make my purchase.
I actually think the HW won't be that much bigger than the current 360S and that size will dictate a lot due to heat.
I am currently siding towards PS4 as long as they don't screw up with the multi-plats next-gen.

Durante

Hehe. There were some pretty adamant opinions on this forum until a few months ago that need some major revision.

Eurogamer said:
DaE also says that Microsoft is targeting an eight-core CPU for the final retail hardware - if true, this must surely be based around Atom architecture to fit inside the thermal envelope.
I wonder how much truth there is to this bit of speculation. A more or less straightforward Atom implementation with 8 cores would still suck compared to a quad core i5 or i7.

you don't need evidence it just is!

It's usually a bad sign when you have to lead a post like that.

Simply put, no one on GAF has any clue how large or power hungry the next Xbox is. Any claims theyre making in this regard they're pulling out of their ass.

The first Xbox was a monster in size. Hell many cable boxes in the US are absolutely massive. There's no basis to say the next Xbox won't be a fair bit larger than the 360 if that's what ms needs to do get the performance their developers and partners are requesting.

Top Bottom