• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

Ikachan is (allegedly) dated/priced on the NA eShop--January 31, $4.99.

I remember Nicalis saying something about how the eShop and DSiWare versions would be released simultaneously, so maybe there's some hope for those of you who are stick rocking the DSi. (Then again, Nicalis.)

I've been waiting for this for a long time. I have the DSiWare version of Cave Story and its pretty great. (And I know its not the best version technically)

Only thing holding me back is the fact that I haven't spent $40 on a portable game in forever due to being spoiled by Newegg's $10 preorder discount promotions which they apparently stopped running, so I have a hard time justifying spending $40 on any handheld game.

This is my exact predicament...

They need to have one of those sales NOW!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Could anyone get the prices for Deer Drive Legends and Finding Nemo from the 3DS eShop? My 3DS isn't handy at the moment and I'm updating the CN sheet.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't find Cave Story on the Japanese eShop:( Can any Japanese 3DS owners please see if the DSiWare version is still there? I've looked but cannot find:( Thanks!

The Japanese version was published by Asterizm a.k.a NIGORO, so maybe they pulled it when things turned sour over La-Mulana.

Alternately, the DSiWare version may be invisible on the eShop in anticipation of the 3D version, some DSiWare games are like that.

Unicorn

424574_458947484171491_1756700509_n.jpg

Since there isn't a Kirby's Star Stacker thread, I feel I should post this here.

Buy this game. One of the top 5 BEST GAMEBOY GAMES!

Can anyone top my challenge score? On Super Hard difficulty

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
424574_458947484171491_1756700509_n.jpg

Since there isn't a Kirby's Star Stacker thread, I feel I should post this here.

Buy this game. One of the top 5 BEST GAMEBOY GAMES!

Can anyone top my challenge score? On Super Hard difficulty

*grumbles* why don't VC games have online leaderboards?

I'm almost done purchasing WiiWare games that interest me (I have everything organized so it'll fit a perfect 3 pages on the menu). I'm already saving a spot for Retro City Rampage for when it comes out and another slot for when Lost Wings is available on the Wii U's Wii shop, but I have one slot after that. Which of these would you guys recommend?

Art of Balance
Excitebike: World Rally
LIT
Swords & Soldiers (considering picking this up on the PS3 though)
Tomena Sanner
Muscle March
ThruSpace

Oh, and does anyone know how long it'll take until Lost Winds finally is available?

Excitebike: World Rally is awesome. Unlike Mario Kart, finishing in first place falls entirely on you. No item garbage. No rubberband AI. Just you and your skills.

Camjo-Z

I'm almost done purchasing WiiWare games that interest me (I have everything organized so it'll fit a perfect 3 pages on the menu). I'm already saving a spot for Retro City Rampage for when it comes out and another slot for when Lost Wings is available on the Wii U's Wii shop, but I have one slot after that. Which of these would you guys recommend?

Art of Balance
LIT
Tomena Sanner
Muscle March
ThruSpace

Oh, and does anyone know how long it'll take until Lost Winds finally is available?

Excitebike: World Rally is possibly the best game on WiiWare. Plenty of content, online racing (although I'm not sure how active it still is these days), and like ElectricBlanketFire said, it's all about skill.

And forget perfect organization, you must get Muscle March. It is one of the greatest games of the generation. You must play it yourself to feel the magic, but this song from the soundtrack should tide you over until you are able to experience it for yourself.

I'm almost done purchasing WiiWare games that interest me.

Art of Balance
LIT
Tomena Sanner
Muscle March
ThruSpace

If you don't have it, Snowpack Park is actually pretty damn fun. (Just got it for free from CN.)

From those, Muscle March is fucking awesome!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I have literally no idea why that would prohibit them from having online leaderboards or achievements.

I am waiting to see how long before Stump posts his project images again... heh.

(I think it's a combination of "not being worth the effort" and going against the original feel/presentation. I wouldn't object at all to high score tables, but "achievements" being tacked onto older titles doesn't really resonate with me.)

backlot

So they should totally add leader boards but there's no way they could add online to Pokemon R/B? Ok, guys, I see how it is...

@MUWANdo

Banned
So they should totally add leader boards but there's no way they could add online to Pokemon R/B? Ok, guys, I see how it is...

The people asking for leaderboards aren't the same people ruling out online play for Pokemon, but even so, leaderboards would be worlds easier to implement than even local wireless link cable functions, never mind online play.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Maybe you should learn something about software development then, HEY OH! ;)

Let me try it this way; Do you think SEGA has source code for their old Genesis games? If not, how do you think they implemented leaderboards and achievements in the Ultimate Genesis Collection?

For leaderboards, at the emulation level, poll RAM every frame. Include with each game a manifest file that lists which bytes of RAM are significant, and which value transitions to look for. For an online leaderboard, you need to detect a game over, immediately read the score value, and then hand it off to leaderboard code in the emulator. Reverse engineering the appropriate RAM for a given game is trivial using memory monitoring functionality built into existing emulators. Remember, as well, that we're dealing with systems that use fixed memory allocation and that have VERY limited amounts of RAM.

Aeana

Stump created an achievement system for NES (and other?) games for emulators, so he definitely knows what he's talking about.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mucking with old games, no matter how possible, has always seemed like an inelegant solution for something that's not really a problem.

If they're going to go out of their way to make them into a 3D Classic, or do a remake, sure, throw them in. But that's different from playing a 160x144 monochrome GameBoy game and having this big modern full-color dialog pop up saying "Do you want to submit your score now?" Something about that just chafes the purist in me.

Also, Virtual Console has always been "what it says on the tin." Getting anyone, even Nintendo, to support the service by throwing some ROMs on a server is apparently hard enough. :p

Stump created an achievement system for NES (and other?) games for emulators, so he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Hence the wink face.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There are no leaderboards in Ultimate Genesis Collection

Possibly not online, but I'm fairly certain it has leaderboards within the game that are external to launching the games themselves. In the event that I'm still wrong, substitute achievements for leaderboards, because there's no difference in terms of how you implement them.

Mucking with old games, no matter how possible, has always seemed like an inelegant solution for something that's not really a problem.

I would argue that posting a photo of your console and asking random people on the internet "have you beaten my score?" is the true inelegant solution!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I believe conventional wisdom dictates that old games don't really have enough of an active playerbase to make it worthwhile, or the situation you described very common at all.

JavyOO7

What would you guys recommend for a top 20 of Wii Ware stuff? And DSi stuff? Considering purchases for the future. =p

For Wii Ware off the top of my head that I got is...

ExciteBike
World of Goo
Lost Winds Part 1

L Thammy

What's new about the 3DS version of Ikachan aside from the 3D? The freeware version was short. Really short. Seemed more like a proof of concept than an actual game.

Does the Wii Shop in the Wii mode in the Wii U :)/) have all the VC games that are in the Wii Shop in the Wii?

How do the VC games look on the Wii U? I read that the Wii U upscales the Wii in Wii mode but does that affect VC games badly?

Frolow

Banned
Does the Wii Shop in the Wii mode in the Wii U :)/) have all the VC games that are in the Wii Shop in the Wii?

How do the VC games look on the Wii U? I read that the Wii U upscales the Wii in Wii mode but does that affect VC games badly?

It has everything the Wii Shop channel has except for all the application channels like Check Mii Out.

Dunno about the quality since I didn't transfer.

It has everything the Wii Shop channel has except for all the application channels like Check Mii Out.

Dunno about the quality since I didn't transfer.

Is there a huge difference between VC games in EU and US? I am seeing a lot of good VC games in EU shop but I will likely get an NTSC Wii U.

BriBri

Japanese eShop charts week 3

1. (1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. (2) Super Mario Bros. 3
3. (3) Pokémon AR Searcher
4. (6) Fantasy Life
5. (7 Puyo Puyo! Mini Version
6. (9) Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle
7. (8) Charisou DX
8. (11) Super Mario Bros.
9. (5) Denpa Ningen no RPG 2
10. (4) 3D Classics Kirby's Dreamland
11. (--) Touch Battle Tank 3D
12. (18) 10 Hyō Sō
13. (13) Dasshutsu Adventure: Majo no Sumu Yakata
14. (--) Metal Max
15. (--) Freaky Forms
16. (20 Super Mario Bros 2. (Lost Levels)
17. (14) Pokédex 3D
18. (--) Birdmania 3D
19. (--) Metroid
20. (10) Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight

Fantasy Life has gone from 7, to 6, to 4. Doing really, really well.

Tenki

Do we know anything about the savedata transfer tool between digital and retail games? I've got some digital games and I wouldn't mind double-dipping if I could transfer my save to the retail game.

The people asking for leaderboards aren't the same people ruling out online play for Pokemon, but even so, leaderboards would be worlds easier to implement than even local wireless link cable functions, never mind online play.
The big issue with GB games is that the link cable multi player was always touted as a big feature and it became a even bigger feature once Pokemon hit and then the copy cats that followed. On the Wii VC we didn't need them to do a work around as all of those games could be played exactly the same way as they could have been when they came out. Local multi was easy.

On the 3DS VC we can't do that at all, we can't play multiplayer in any form and its a huge wasted potential IMO with the VC for GB games. Some of my favorite memories growing up were from playing Game Boy Tetris against my brother on long car rides.

Its most likely not an easy thing to make a way for it to work smooth enough to not cause an issue with the games but there must be some way to do it & Nintendo could do it if they wanted to. I'm sure there would be something they could do at a system level, maybe a virtual link cable or something so its not coding each game, but on the 3DS that lets GB games think they are linked up to another GB game (assuming you and a friend on your friends list are playing the same VC Game or something).

Do we know anything about the savedata transfer tool between digital and retail games? I've got some digital games and I wouldn't mind double-dipping if I could transfer my save to the retail game.
They don't, I have Mario Kart retail and digitally, save data doesn't carry over and you need to replay everything all over again.

luffeN

Just got an email about this week's eshop downloads for Europe.

Wii U
- Marvels Avengers: Kampf um die Erde (Preis: 49,99 Euro)
- Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Preis bis 07.02.: 6,99 Euro statt 9,99 Euro)
- The Cave (Preis: 12,99 Euro)
- The Cave (free Demoversion)
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (free Demoversion)

Nintendo 3DS
- PICROSS e2 (Preis: 4,99 Euro)
- 35 Junior Games (Preis: 4,99 Euro)
- Snowboard Xtreme (Preis: 1,99 Euro)
- Nintendo präsentiert: New Style Boutique (free Update)

Nintendo DSi
- Snowboard Xtreme (Preis: 200 Nintendo Points)

Wii
- Babel Rising (Preis: 500 Wii Points)

Source is my page if you want to click.

Top Bottom