• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

robrueda

I'd like to see the DF video for this game to confirm it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Pokken DX is running at handheld clocks when docked, since there's no resolution bump or increased detail. The handheld mode runs exactly as smooth as the docked mode.

I could be this way so that there is no upperhand to anybody when playing online. So that a player in handheld mode is at no advantage or disadvantage to a player in TV mode.

Would you guys recommend this for a 9 year old girl to play if she won't touch online?

Thinking of getting this for my daughter who like Poke'mon.

There a DEMO on the eShop. Just download it a let her try it.

I did that with the Wii U versión for my 4 year old and we haven´t looked back ever since.

EmiPrime

I really like this game because well, I liked the Wii U version but bloody hell, was it too much to ask for 1080p and some nicer textures? The shadows the pokemon cast on themselves are really bad too, they break up into black lines which looks awful on their faces. It's also just stereo, all my other speakers are silent.

Griss

Played my first online game. Perfected the guy in the first round, then somehow lost the next two. It was my Scizor vs his Pikachu, and I felt like I was barely hit, he was just spamming this low thunder attack. I have no idea how I lost, honestly.

Scizor is great, though. Great addition. I'm not a fan of Decidueye, though. He has some cool moves but he just looks stiff and his feathers don't show up as anything more than plastic and there's no 'cloak' effect to his wings so he just doesn't look right, imo.

Love the daily challenge, though. Great way to have people try out all the different characters. The challenge board for each league rank has a similar effect on trying support pokemon which is good too.

Enjoying it a lot so far.

Kebiinu

Banned
Been playing as Pikachu since I always found him fun to fool around with. Once I break into my Pokken skills, I'm gonna go back to Sceptile and try either Decidueye or Empoleon as a second main.

Thinking about creating a GAF room for later, in celebration of the launch. Any of y'all interested?

RomanceDawn

Who's a top level Decideueye player I can watch for pointers?

Anyone know?

I don't think such a person exists outside of the development team yet.

I keep seeing you online, we've got to play and practice with one another a bit.

I've been training with Empoleon so I'm still trying to get the hang of his movement.

Edit: How do we play our friends online?

Oh I see. I'm online with the code neogaf if anyone wants to play. I'm still trying to figure things out.

Edit again: Thanks who ever that was. Too bad for the lag though. Gotta pick up my kid from school.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really don't care about being competitive at this at all, the existence of a game where you actually just fight with the Pokemon is a thing my siblings and I have wanted for years and should be pretty easy to break out with friends

Kebiinu

Banned
I really love how true to life the Pokemon are in this game. My dream for the main series, is for it to play as usual, but with animation and fluid attacks like how we see here.

The 3vs3 really makes me yearn for a Pokken sequel that expands on it, too. Very, very dope. Shame it's local only, but I can see a patch in the future.

Sterok

Liking Decidueye. Might make it a secondary main. Empoleon and maybe even Scizor are nice too. Not feeling Darkrai immediately though, and I don't think Croagunk is for me. Chandelure is still carrying me through online of course.

Graphically this game may not have changed much, but damn were these QoL changes sorely needed. Replay system and lobby system are a big addition. Plus all the new characters are fun to play and have crazy mechanics. They all feel distinct.

A royale shame Wii U version never got this stuff, but I'll let it slide.

How does the lobby system work exactly?
Hmm, I tried it out and it's not a traditional lobby. You can create groups that people can sign up for and you can choose to search for matches from people just in that group.

RIP, but it should work okay for communities that want their own private groups.

Scizor was one of my most wanted characters for the original Pokken, and I've pleased with how he turned out. Although I wish he looked a bit more metallic. I don't really like his voice, but I'm mostly just used to Melee's "SCIZZZOOOORR" in a low voice or just generic bug noises I thought they would go with.

Also I'm not really sure what I expected for Decidueye's run animation. I mean, it's how a bird runs more or less, I can't help but think it looks a bit silly lol

This took distressingly long to unlock everything lol

I didn't understand this post and then I did it and laughed at how ridiculous it is

Yea, I get it, I unlocked a jacket in every color. Okay that's a nice brown. Okay now blue. Yep, that's certainly yellow. On and on.

Also there's no Shadow Mewtwo shirt... only character without a shirt?

Celtic

Neo Member
So, can you play online with the mode that lets you use three different pokemon?

EDIT: I apparently can't read, and now I'm disappointed. :(

Berordn

So DX is a bigger improvement than I expected, obvious additions to Pokemon and modes aside. Plus the challenges help the league mode feel like less of a slog, if only because you're focusing on other objectives.

Also Popplio is probably the best support ever which is great because Popplio is the best and the best deserve Popplio.

The 3vs3 really makes me yearn for a Pokken sequel that expands on it, too. Very, very dope. Shame it's local only, but I can see a patch in the future.
I'd really love it if Pokken 2 was just built around the 3v3 team battle mode. Like a Pokemon King Of Fighters.

TWILT

Banned
Man, Scizor is so much fun. Love his slick movement and Swords Dance resource management. Probably gonna be my new main (RIP Charizard) though I want to try Decidueye later. Just gotta figure out which assist I want lol.

Celtic

Neo Member
Although I'm incredibly disappointed in the lack of 3v3 online battles... I still may pick it up. I've been getting into fighting games like crazy the last year or so, and I find with a new baby in the house I'm barely touching any system BUT my Switch.

Decided to pick up Decidueye, such an amazingly fun character. And I already found two or three combos that I can use that do insane damage. Going online now and have won my first two matches, still need to learn more though.

I've been playing the League mode and I cleared Green League and the two challenge panels tonight, it was a LONG game session. I think I've found my Switch game to tide me over till Odyssey.

Maining Scizor btw. Wondering if there's a level cap but I'm at least at 20+

I've been playing the League mode and I cleared Green League and the two challenge panels tonight, it was a LONG game session. I think I've found my Switch game to tide me over till Odyssey.

Maining Scizor btw. Wondering if there's a level cap but I'm at least at 20+

I believe the cap is 100.

BiggNife

Just started playing.

Pikachu Libre was my main on Wii U and I think it might stay that way, but Scizor is a lot of fun

Also I love how weird Croagunk is even though I don't think I'd ever be able to play him well.

Which do you think has more longevity, this or xenoverse 2? Whoever thought it was a good idea to drop this, dragonball, NBA 2k18, and fifa withiin the same week was clearly not thinking about the health of my walllet....clearly

Kebiinu

Banned
Curious about the sales of the game, myself. But I'm sure it'll be fine, it's on a more popular system, it's Pokemon, the fanbase is there.

Having fun from what I've played. Weaville seems to be my main for now, not sure who else I would play as. Any Pokemon similar in speed as Weaville?

Top Bottom