• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there an overclock OT? I have some questions and I'd rather not flood this thread with my stupidity.

This would be the perfect thread for asking your overclocking related questions. Don't worry about asking a bad question... chances are that someone else has the same question and would benefit from knowing the answer as well. :)

I've gone ahead and got a new PSU and I've got a question about the PCI-E connectors.

My GPU (gtx 1080) has one 8 pin connection and one 6 pin. The cables that came with the PSU have one 6+2 connector and another 6+2 that splits off from the end of the cable.

Should I use both ends of one cable or should I plug in a second PCI-E cable and use one end of each when hooking up my GPU?

What model is your power supply?

liezryou

I've gone ahead and got a new PSU and I've got a question about the PCI-E connectors.

My GPU (gtx 1080) has one 8 pin connection and one 6 pin. The cables that came with the PSU have one 6+2 connector and another 6+2 that splits off from the end of the cable.

Should I use both ends of one cable or should I plug in a second PCI-E cable and use one end of each when hooking up my GPU?

You should be able to use the one that has two 6+2's at the end. Just make sure that the end that has the 8 pin is going into the PSU.

Vipu

Banned

I just saw picture that shows when you should use 2 cables and when 1 somewhere, gonna try to find it again.

Edit: Cant find it, it was something to do with wats that your GPU uses when you should use 1 cable or 2.

Old PC is gone. :( I got legit a little sad when I was taking it apart earlier. What a glorious piece of hardware the 2600k was. Still is. May it run for another 6 years in someone else's machine. :bigbosssalute:

Ordered pretty much all the new parts from Mindfactory.de, except the case, which I bought locally. Pretty much the best prices around & great customer service (according to the forum posting majority). I still haven't decided what to do regarding the new monitor. I'm slowly warming up to the idea of getting a relatively cheap 27" 1440p IPS screen to carry me over until the end of the year, see what the landscape looks like then. Will see.

Zabo's 2017 build is as follows.

Case: Fractal Design Define C
Processor: i7 7700k
Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F
Graphics card: MSI 1080 GTX Armor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz 16gb (2x8gb)
Power supply: Corsair RM750i
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250gb (+ my "old" SSDs, so long HDDs)
Fans: Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3
Optical drive: lulz
I'm still getting a 15€ external USB DVD-RW tho, you never know. :p

Thoughts?

Hey MSI Armor 1080 buddy ^^ It's a damn good card, good choice! Rest of the build looks good too, though I'll echo the question of why you chose a z170 board instead of a z270 and whether it worked out of the box.

This would be the perfect thread for asking your overclocking related questions. Don't worry about asking a bad question... chances are that someone else has the same question and would benefit from knowing the answer as well. :)

I teach English in higher ed (Europe), and that's what I keep telling my students ^^

In this case: if it's PC-related, ask away!

I just saw picture that shows when you should use 2 cables and when 1 somewhere, gonna try to find it again.

Edit: Cant find it, it was something to do with wats that your GPU uses when you should use 1 cable or 2.

It seems to be running just fine with the one split cable but I will keep that in mind if anything seems amiss.

wege12

I bought an AMD Fury when it was launched and absolutely love it! My rule of thumb is that I won't upgrade GPUs until I can at least double my performance. Will Vega allow me to do that?

I bought an AMD Fury when it was launched and absolutely love it! My rule of thumb is that I won't upgrade GPUs until I can at least double my performance. Will Vega allow me to do that?

We don't really know yet. We should get more info closer to the release in May.

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
Hello guys, I'm just looking for some advice, I'm currently torn between either purchasing a 55' 4K television or looking at possibly buying a 2x 4k Monitor.

I have around £700-800 to be working with and could probably give or take a little bit more than that. I currently have a normal launch PS4 but I get the feeling that this is slowly dying as I've had to reformat the PS a few too many times and have also been taken to the safe startup screen on a few occasions too, so upgrading to the PS4 Pro is also an option should my current PS 'conk out'.

I have a decent gaming rig with a Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X Edition 4GB so this could potentially utilise the dual 4k monitors. I currently have some DELL 1080p standard monitors that aren't really that great for gaming/working on after long periods, I'm an IT Engineer/Consultant that does remote work from home a few days a week.

I'm currently looking into the following 4k television after reading great reviews about it:

http://www.ebuyer.com/746778-samsung...ue55ku6400uxxu

or if I decide to go the dual 4k monitor route I have been looking at the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/707243-samsung...-lu28e590ds-en

http://www.ebuyer.com/639060-asus-pb...monitor-pb287q

Any other recommendations for either a 4k TV or a dual 4K monitor setups in the UK> I'm looking to get great value for my money and to try and 'future proof' myself for the next few years so any advice would be great.

Quick question - I've got a Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop mouse and keyboard. I got the GIGABYTE wifi/bluetooth PCIe wireless network adapter to get it working (along with my internet)
Seeing as my PC is a brand new build from scratch, I'll need to set up the BIOS/install Windows with a wired keyboard, right? I'm assuming to get the bluetooth mouse/keyboard working I'll need to install drivers after the fact.

b0bbyJ03

How important is RAM speed? I never turned on XMP and my RAM is running at 1333mhz instead of 1600. Does it make a big difference in newer games?

How important is RAM speed? I never turned on XMP and my RAM is running at 1333mhz instead of 1600. Does it make a big difference in newer games?

It can make a difference, but for gaming performance is generally tertiary to the GPU and CPU. It's generally something where the bigger gains come from a greater baseline performance; ie, if you're barely hitting 40 FPS in a game, higher RAM speeds won't budge it by much at all. However if you're doing say, 60-80 FPS, faster RAM can be the difference that has you stick consistently above 70. But then, that's also the sort of difference between 2133 Mhz and 3000 Mhz RAM - the gains would be much smaller with the DDR3 RAM you're working with.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
What the fuck is up with Nvidia? My shit is wack as hell. G-Sync barely works, causing massive frame drops. Tomb Raider gets locked at 24fps until I switch it from my main monitor to my secondary and back, and then it goes back to 100+. Dark Souls 3 runs at like 10fps. Apparently the fix is to disable fast boot, OR to do a reboot after a cold boot. Awesome. Then on top of that opening the Geforce Experience opens the window out of frame or something along those lines, although windows key+arrows doesn't bring it into frame. The only solution is to open task manager, right click on Geforce Experience and hit maximize. Shit is getting annoying.

What the fuck is up with Nvidia? My shit is wack as hell. G-Sync barely works, causing massive frame drops. Tomb Raider gets locked at 24fps until I switch it from my main monitor to my secondary and back, and then it goes back to 100+. Dark Souls 3 runs at like 10fps. Apparently the fix is to disable fast boot, OR to do a reboot after a cold boot. Awesome. Then on top of that opening the Geforce Experience opens the window out of frame or something along those lines, although windows key+arrows doesn't bring it into frame. The only solution is to open task manager, right click on Geforce Experience and hit maximize. Shit is getting annoying.

Thanks for coming here to vent.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Thanks for coming here to vent.

Fucking quitting Dark Souls 3 with g-sync active causes my monitors to go black and the only solution is to restart my computer, nothing else works. The fuck is up with that? Shit sucks balls, man. Get your shit together, Nvidia.

e90Mark

This always happens until I switch from windowed full to full, then back, from a cold boot on the first game I play. Just something I learned to live with and do every time. Shouldn't have to, but minor inconvenience IMO.

Sounds like the same thing is happening with DS3.

I don't use GFE, so not sure about that one.

Übermatik;232904075 said:
Quick question - I've got a Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop mouse and keyboard. I got the GIGABYTE wifi/bluetooth PCIe wireless network adapter to get it working (along with my internet)
Seeing as my PC is a brand new build from scratch, I'll need to set up the BIOS/install Windows with a wired keyboard, right? I'm assuming to get the bluetooth mouse/keyboard working I'll need to install drivers after the fact.

Anyone?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can't get windows to read my mobo ethernet port. No idea what's wrong. It's enabled in bios. Unable to install any drivers since according to windows, my adapter doesn't exist. I had a pci wifi adapter laying around and it works. Anyone have a similar issue? Using a Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 5.

LordAlu

Übermatik;232919885 said:
Not whilst installing Windows, surely?
It should do. I've installed Windows before on a machine with a wireless keyboard and mouse and it still managed it. The set should come with a little USB dongle that you plug in, rather than use the Bluetooth of the Gigabyte card.

No doubt TXP is still an awesome GPU, its just NVidia destroyed the value of it with the 1080ti, that's all I'm saying. Best to hold on to it for now, enjoy it, then reconsider when Volta leaks pick up steam.

My estimate was based on prices of used parts I can find around my area in the US. Things may be more scarce where you are from, so you can price your parts accordingly.

Yep, thank you very much.

Now let's continue with the waiting game for ryzen 4 and 6 cores cpus xD

I'd really like to give them a chance. If all else fails, it's 7700k time.

spootime

I currently have an i5-3570k overclocked to 4.3. Would I see any significant gaming performance gains from upgrading to a i7-7700k? (I want the hyperthreading for reasons unrelated to gaming)

Also, I think the mouse suggestions in the OP could use a rewrite as most of those mice arent that great or arent made anymore. I can contribute a few recommendations if you'd like, I've used quite a few of them.

I currently have an i5-3570k overclocked to 4.3. Would I see any significant gaming performance gains from upgrading to a i7-7700k? (I want the hyperthreading for reasons unrelated to gaming)

Also, I think the mouse suggestions in the OP could use a rewrite as most of those mice arent that great or arent made anymore. I can contribute a few recommendations if you'd like, I've used quite a few of them.

You should see a big jump in performance, especially in newer games at lower resolutions. What games do you play?

Rizific

looking for recommendations on a 2-in-1 laptop. will be primarily used for signing documents, ms office, and emails so specs are not much of a concern. i just dont even know where to start.

kuYuri

Can't get windows to read my mobo ethernet port. No idea what's wrong. It's enabled in bios. Unable to install any drivers since according to windows, my adapter doesn't exist. I had a pci wifi adapter laying around and it works. Anyone have a similar issue? Using a Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 5.

Did you download the ethernet drivers for your mobo from Gigabyte's website and try to install that one?

J3ffro

I have a general overclocking question.

About six months ago I put this together, with more than fair bit of input from this thread's predecessor, and honestly, I couldn't be happier. It was surprisingly fun to put together, it runs like a dream, and I've yet to find something it doesn't just chew through. Recently picked up a Acer Predator XB1, and I'm routinely hitting 120+ fps.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wG4Qyf

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Gunmetal) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

When I first set it up, the BIOS asked if I'd like to overclock it, and it was a joke how easy it was. It automatically ran a few tests, said I could overclock is 22% without any issue, and that's where I've been ever since.

Lately, I've been thinking about pushing it up more. After hours of playing, my CPU temp tops out around 68C, and so it seems like I have plenty of room to play safely -- but is that the point that I'm tinkering just to tinker? I've mostly been playing Overwatch, with a little bit of Rainbow Six Siege, and my frame rates are already higher than I need. Since my system stability is seemingly perfect, and performance is already great, am I just asking for trouble by pushing the envelope some? I like the idea of messing around with it to see how far I can push it, and what performance gains come with that, but I prefer having a stable machine that runs well. Am I better off calling it a day, and spend more time playing games than tinkering with options in the bios, and if/when my machine starts letting me down, then start pushing the overclock further?

Seems intimidating and certainly takes some research but ultimately not that complicated. Most importantly, you don't need to start researching from scratch. It is hard to wade through all the information out there but you don't need to. There's plenty of resources in this thread and you can feel free to PM me for guidance.

You can do it bruh. Once you do, you'll never buy a pre-built PC again, save money and I bet you'll really enjoy the building process itself.

I will back up this sentiment. I hadn't built a PC ever, and after almost 10 years with the last PC I purchased, I really wanted to build myself. I used the prebuilt systems in the original post as a guideline and then built within my budget.

As I said earlier, I had the shop I bought from quick mount the CPU and RAM for me on the motherboard, for free. I put everything else in myself, and it really couldn't have been easier. I went methodically through the build and would have done a couple of things different (ie: actually prepared the case properly for the video card before I mounted the motherboard), but installing everything was really easy. Cases and parts all seem to be built to some standard that means everything fits.

My biggest complaint would be PSU cables that are redundant in my build. I learned after the fact that you can purchase expensive PSU's that let you pick and choose what cables you need. Obviously my build doesn't need so much power, so I will gladly take the savings and deal with annoying unused cable organization.

If you aren't confident, I would recommend just doing it. Now I want to build another computer! ;)

looking for recommendations on a 2-in-1 laptop. will be primarily used for signing documents, ms office, and emails so specs are not much of a concern. i just dont even know where to start.

Wait for Surface Pro 5 launch?

The 4 is already an amazing device. It also depends on your budget.

Rizific

Wait for Surface Pro 5 launch?

The 4 is already an amazing device. It also depends on your budget.

yep should have mentioned price. the surface was what i initially moved toward, until i looked at the price. a base model pro is $700, which isnt bad. but ideally the cheaper the better.

morpix

Hey guys, some clarification needed...

Has anyone built a Ryzen 1700 with Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) kit along with the ASRock X370 Gaming K4?

Just nervous about the compatibility and what speed the RAM will run on with the latest BIOS (beta or otherwise). Hoping to run it at 3000 at least with the CPU at 3.8GHz all cores.

Thanks in advance!

I prefer watching movies on my computer to a TV, so I'm thinking about getting a Blu Ray drive for my computer. Any recommendations, yea, nay? I don't plan on ripping any of my discs, just watching them.

Hey guys, some clarification needed...

Has anyone built a Ryzen 1700 with Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) kit along with the ASRock X370 Gaming K4?

Just nervous about the compatibility and what speed the RAM will run on with the latest BIOS (beta or otherwise). Hoping to run it at 3000 at least with the CPU at 3.8GHz all cores.

Thanks in advance!

You should be fine, but search for your memory product number here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory

I prefer watching movies on my computer to a TV, so I'm thinking about getting a Blu Ray drive for my computer. Any recommendations, yea, nay? I don't plan on ripping any of my discs, just watching them.

Problem is that software bluray players for pc suck. Badly.

Other than this, any drive will do.

If you have a ps3/ps4/xb1s, just hook that to your current pc monitor.

Avtomat

So Intel just had a Foundry Technology Conference Day, I guess a write up will go up on Anandtech in the near future - I know their Chief Editor was in attendance. Some good insight to be had on his twitter feed

https://twitter.com/IanCutress

Some call outs from me

It looks like the successor to KBL (Coffeelake I guess) will be 14nm++

Intel do not see the end of scaling in their roadmaps at the moment

Their 14++ node is likely higher performance but worse @ density/power than 10nm

Intel is aggressively courting others as a custom foundry - they had an ARM guy on stage taking questions in a panel

EMIB (Core level interconnect) is being hyped hopefully its good and comes to consumers

Intel says it still crushes the competition in terms of node parameters (they seem to reckon their 14nm = Samsungs 10nm and they will get 2.7x density improvement @ 10nm)

They are marketing a new 22nm FF node for others as well

These foundry wars heating up!!!!

I wonder how all of this is going to play out cos it seems the mainstream chips may not be a good fit for the enthusiast market anymore with Ryzen on the block. Maybe they shift gamers and enthusiasts onto 2011 socket but only 2 mem channels? If they are moving enthusiasts onto 6 - 8 core chips which mainstream does not need / want.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31844...than-ssds.html

Seems like with this it'd be much more cost effective to get a HDD rather than nvme.
I wouldn't trust a damn thing Intel says about Optane unless it's been independently verified:
http://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/27/intel-crosses-unacceptable-ethical-line/
Sadly that is no more. Today Intel crossed the line from the gold standard of accountability and ethics to unacceptably unethical and purposefully misleading messaging. While SemiAccurate does not know who made these decisions, based on more than a decade of working with Intel, we strongly suspect the changes came from far above the front lines of PR. We don’t take this as comforting news.

So what happened? On March 15th, Intel gave a press briefing in the form of a webcast on Xpoint SSDs. There were two products talked about, the P4800X enterprise SSD and the M.2 Xpoint based consumer Optane Memory. The P4800X had an embargo lift a week or so ago, the M.2 SSD was publicly revealed today.

Both suffered from what SemiAccurate feels is unethical messaging, and both seemingly did so to obfuscate the fact that the products were not very good. Instead of taking the high road, Intel tried to get the press to say things they couldn’t say directly by means of purposefully unethical messaging.

What did Intel do? They put out a briefing with lots of slides, data points, and fine print in the briefing. These gave the impression that the products were far better and more impressive than they were. When the slides were released, several key ones on the P4800X were absent, including almost every one that had real world non-synthetic test results. Worse yet on the M.2 SSD slides, over half were missing including every single one that contained testing data, configurations, and information necessary to back up the claims made in the webcast. This is unacceptable behavior in the best of circumstances.

Are there any ITX motherboards available for Ryzen yet? I'm looking at a Phantex Enthoo Evolv build now and I'd like to incorporate a Ryzen CPU into it.

Khaz

Well it's for a sort of older computer, I hope you guys will be able to help me.

Here it goes: I want to overclock an old Athlon 3700+.
There's this guide here but I'm too stupid to understand it seems http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/athlon-64-overclocking/ Page 4 is where the step-by-step is, but I can't follow it. Like at step 4, it says "once you surpassed the 220 MHz clock rate", but lol, I can't even go over 212MHz. Anything beyond that and the PC reboots right before starting Windows, or Windows crashes immediately with a blue screen.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Did you download the ethernet drivers for your mobo from Gigabyte's website and try to install that one?
Yep. It appears the issue is that windows straight up won't recognize my Ethernet port. Doesn't show up anywhere in windows. I'm not able to install drivers since the software doesn't see a device to install it to. Tried a bios update but no luck. If I remember right, there's a light on the port that is lit up, indicating it's doing something.

I'm at work right now but I'll probably try clearing the CMOS when I get home. I barely know what I'm doing but it seems simple enough.

kuYuri

Yep. It appears the issue is that windows straight up won't recognize my Ethernet port. Doesn't show up anywhere in windows. I'm not able to install drivers since the software doesn't see a device to install it to. Tried a bios update but no luck. If I remember right, there's a light on the port that is lit up, indicating it's doing something.

I'm at work right now but I'll probably try clearing the CMOS when I get home. I barely know what I'm doing but it seems simple enough.

It's a long shot, but did your motherboard come with a driver disc and do you have a disc drive installed in your build? I had an issue where something similar happened while trying to install MSI ethernet drivers and I managed to fix it by installing the one that came with my mobo disc. It managed to recognize the driver on the disc for some reason.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's a long shot, but did your motherboard come with a driver disc and do you have a disc drive installed in your build? I had an issue where something similar happened while trying to install MSI ethernet drivers and I managed to fix it by installing the one that came with my mobo disc. It managed to recognize the driver on the disc for some reason.
I don't have a disc drive ;__;

I'll dig around and see if I've got an old desktop laying around somewhere that I can pull one from. In the meantime, I bought a USB Ethernet port. No idea what's causing it

Core Zero

I'm putting together a new PC build to replace my girlfriend's aging system, and wanted to double check with you all before going ahead with it. This will be a from scratch build, there's not really anything reusable from her current computer.

Your Current Specs: 5+ years old. Struggling to run WoW.

Budget: $800 USD roughly, incl OS, but flexible

Main Use: Gaming, non-gaming streaming, and video/stream playback

Monitor Resolution: 1080p, currently one monitor but wanting to go to dual after upgrade

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Overwatch, WoW, Sims 4, Skyrim, newer MMOs (FF14, Black Desert, ESO, Blade and Soul). 1080p60 is the goal, doesn't need super high quality.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.

When will you build?: As soon as possible, no deadline but no reason to wait that I know of.

Will you be overclocking?: No.

Here's the build as it stands: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N3yHLD

It's very similar to the "good" build. I went up to 16GB for better multitasking and overhead, and left out the SSD, though I may end up adding one in. My main questions are:

-Does anyone have experience with the ASRock MB I picked, or that company in general? I chose it because the Gigabyte B250M has only 1 fan connector and (IIRC) only 1 PCIEx16 slot. The ASRock has only 2 mem slots but should be able to accomodate an NVMe drive and better fan connections. Am I totally misreading this? This is the main area I'm not sure of.

-Opinions on the Seagate drive, or other 2TB drives? I don't see 2TB WD Blues available, that would probably be my first pick. Also looking for opinions on memory modules, I just chose the most reasonable priced compatible ones.

-Will that PSU cover me? Looks like it should be plenty but I appreciate confirmation.

Also, while researching her build, I was looking to upgrading my current PC, which is getting older but still running pretty well for me (i5-3570k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560). I don't really want to do two builds at the same time, but I was thinking of switching up to the same RX 470 GPU in her build. Would I be making things horribly out of whack/bottlenecked in my PC if I did that? It's likely that I would do a full upgrade next year around the card, but getting a temp performance boost now would be nice.

Top Bottom