• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos hacked by rogue Anonymous

Luckyman

Banned
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/05/anonymous-splinter-group-implicated-in-game-company-hack

For several hours early Thursday morning, the Deus Ex Web site, user forum, and Eidos.com were unreachable. For a brief period late Wednesday evening, the sites displayed a defacement banner that read “Owned by Chippy1337″ (click screen shot at right for a larger version), along with several names and hacker handles of those supposedly responsible for the break-in.

KrebsOnSecurity.com obtained an archived copy of the attackers’ online chatter as they were covering their tracks from compromising the sites. A hacker using the alias “ev0″ discusses having defaced the sites and downloading some 9,000 resumes from Eidos. ev0 and other hackers discuss leaking “src,” which may refer to source code for Deus Ex or other Eidos games. In a separate conversation, the hackers also say they have stolen information on at least 80,000 Deus Ex users and that they plan to release the data on file-sharing networks.

Neither Eidos nor its parent company Square Enix Co. could be immediately reached for comment. (This may not be the first time Eidos was breached: In a story I wrote earlier this year, I detailed how hackers on an underground criminal forum claimed to be selling access to Eidos’ customer database).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone else think the whole "Anonymous did it" thing is retarded?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I always hate how articles refer to Anonymous as some sort of cohesive group. This article mention he's a "splinter" from then, but that's not true. Whoever the guy is, he's exactly what Anonymous is.

Tomat said:

Yeah, that, basically.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
Good! That will teach them to make better games from now on. Right?
Hitman-GIF.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uh-oh. Square-Enix better be reforecasting their projections for more losses as they give S-E consumers a "welcome back" game after a five year development time on Final Fantasy XV.

Tomat said:

It's getting annoying, yes.

This is getting really tiresome. What is wrong with people?

Are they really that bored or is there an actual reason behind doing something like this?

darkwing

Typographenia said:

Are they really that bored or is there an actual reason behind doing something like this?

hackers gonna hack?

DMeisterJ

Banned
TheSeks said:
Uh-oh. Square-Enix better be reforecasting their projections for more losses as they give S-E consumers a "welcome back" game after a five year development time on Final Fantasy XIV

The welcome back game will be Final Fantasy XIV.

Plasmid

If they release source for any Eidos games they're going to get straight up fucked, it'll be like the half life 2 source all over again.

This is getting stupid though, there is no reason to do this other than to be complete assholes.

Chiggs

Typographenia said:

You would think something like this would have happened after Invisible War, amirite?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Typographenia said:

Maybe their original plan was to hack PSN again once it came back up...

...but they got bored waiting. ^O^

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DMeisterJ said:
The welcome back game will be Final Fantasy XIV.

And S-E consumers will get it within 6-12 weeks in various regions.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BroHuffman said:
What purpose does this serve? I'm just baffled.
ev0 said:
I’m just in it for the lulz
The lulz, I guess.

Eventually someone is going to try this on a company with competent security and have it blow up in their face. Hackers don't do so well in the pen, which means that other people will get to enjoy the schadenfreude when they get caught.

hmm...this is oddly coincidental
the hacked page layout is the same as the first anonop hack.
An "evo" was also evolved, and the leader of the anonops hack was also called "ryan"

hmmmmmmmmmm

Jarmel

Banned
Do they actually have the Deus Ex source code? That would do some SERIOUS damage to Eidos if it got released.

filipe

darkwing said:
you would think they would learn after that Sony attack tsk tsk

Uh... Learn what? Hacking occurs. Why would Eidos learn from Sony attack? I guess Sony should have learned from EVERY other single attack that's occurred until this point? As well as all the other attacks that have occurred against other companies?

Tsk tsk.

antonz

So a group that went after Anonymous is somehow turned into anonymous did it?

Thats the biggest flaw in AnonOps. Anyone can claim they are Anonymous and no way to counter it.

sleepykyo

Typographenia said:

Well the op mentioned something about selling the customer database. Trying to remember Eidos, has my e-mail or something. Nope, don't recall ever joining an Eidos forum.

antonz

User33 said:
BTW, this "chippy1337" guy doesn't seem too smart. Googling that username brings up a bunch of incriminating stuff. A hacker that can't cover his tracks? Dead man walking.

It can be several things. Chippy1337 could be a dozen different people or on the contrary he is good enough that being all over the place doesnt bother him.

Top Bottom