• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gift that keeps on giving - Nvidia settles class-action lawsuit on GTX970 controversy

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
"NVIDIA has agreed to pay 30 USD to each buyer of GTX 970"

Does that mean people who bought two would still only receive $30?

PnCIa

The court basically confirmed what was clear as day: they lied. But they got 75% marketshare no matter what :D

btrboyev

Most class action lawsuits don't pay out much because the vast volume of people. Considering video cards arent exactly high selling items, that's why $30 is on the table..

Cobra84

The court basically confirmed what was clear as day: they lied. But they got 75% marketshare no matter what :D

Just like the 1 billion Intel paid to settle with AMD, the payment is a fraction of its worth in profit, market share, and losses for AMD.

RyudBoy

Amazon gave me $130 (or around there, don't remember) back with no issues whatsoever. They have the best customer service.

Won't see me complaining about getting $30 more from Nvidia.

Zafir

i am pretty sure that this will only be for the US

Yeah, no other class action lawsuit ever gave anything to people outside of the US. Other places operate differently. In the UK for example Companies tend to just get fined, and the people only indirectly see that money.

Jimrpg

I already got $120 off from Amazon for this card. $60 for the 3.5gb thing, $60 for a game code they didn't give me. Ill take another $30.

Nvidia will just wack another $30 on to the next card anyway.

jfoul

Nice, I have all my invoices ready to go. I should get $90 from this settlement. I ended up with $88 from the DRAM settlement.

Serves them right. They blatantly and straight out lied about the card's specs, not only to consumers but also to reviewers. But then, it's nVidia.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

LowParry

Amazon:

IwDfHub.png

That didn't work out as I thought it would. Anyone else try?

-MD-

Amazon shot me down for a partial refund like a year ago when everyone was getting them and I got shot down again today.

wachie

Why are people bugging Amazon for the refund? The class action suit was settled by Nvidia, it is them who has to pay out.

Initially last year when the 970 controversy surfaced, some people got partial refunds from Amazon, Newegg etc but that's done once all the marketing material was corrected.

Yeah, that was taking advantage of CS ignorance and supposedly an old/outdated policy...

That said, if NewEgg accepted a return for it and a full refund I wouldn't say no.

Top Bottom