• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

I just drove around in an Alfa Romeo 4C for the weekend and it was gorgeous. It got so much more attention than anything else I've ever driven. It's also an incredibly fun experience driving something so visceral and raw, true to the spirit of driving race cars. With all that said, my back and my feet are totally sore. It kicked my butt driving that thing. I actually needed a massage and got one yesterday. I get a massage like once every couple years. Fantastic car, definitely fun and a memorable experience, but I don't think I could use that as a daily driver.

With all that said, it was so nice driving a Macan back home. The 718 feels like a Lexus compared to the Alfa Romeo 4C. And driving the Macan feels like a Bentley or something in comparison to the 4C.

I've never driven a Lotus Elise, but I imagine the experience to be similar to the 4C in that raw racing experience feel. If you have never driven the Alfa Romeo 4C, I highly recommend it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I almost got into a huge accident yesterday night and avoided it in a big way. Had I been in a slower car, I'd have probably had a total loss on my hands.

I went out to pick up some food last night. Left my sub-division by merging into our county road. I'm at speed, around 60MPH a 1/4 mile down the road, and I see a Hyundai Veloster to my right slowly inching past me (so he must've been going 65MPH or so). This is a major issue, folks. There is no driving lane to my right! It's a turning lane that goes into a little retail complex...and once that turning lane ends, there's a chunky curb.

So in my head, at the rate of speed he's going, I know there is no way this idiot is going to slow down from 65+ and turning right. And I know he is going to smash into that curb and veer into the first lane (my lane) and very likely crash right into my car upon impact.

If I slowed down, I'd likely t-bone him or side-swipe him. Not an option. I don't have much roof to switch lanes, because there's a car behind my bumper in the left lane. So, I stomped it, leapt forward (no Jag pun intended) past him. I look back, and immediately I hear his tires screeching, he tries to swerve and them BAM into the curb he goes, front end goes up and then crashes down in the lane I was traveling in. His debris catches the other car and the Veloster pulls off into the grass on whatever momentum it had left.

If I was in anything slower than my car, I'd have been a part of that collision for sure.

Bandit1

So I almost got into a huge accident yesterday night and avoided it in a big way. Had I been in a slower car, I'd have probably had a total loss on my hands.

I went out to pick up some food last night. Left my sub-division by merging into our county road. I'm at speed, around 60MPH a 1/4 mile down the road, and I see a Hyundai Veloster to my right slowly inching past me (so he must've been going 65MPH or so). This is a major issue, folks. There is no driving lane to my right! It's a turning lane that goes into a little retail complex...and once that turning lane ends, there's a chunky curb.

So in my head, at the rate of speed he's going, I know there is no way this idiot is going to slow down from 65+ and turning right. And I know he is going to smash into that curb and veer into the first lane (my lane) and very likely crash right into my car upon impact.

If I slowed down, I'd likely t-bone him or side-swipe him. Not an option. I don't have much roof to switch lanes, because there's a car behind my bumper in the left lane. So, I stomped it, leapt forward (no Jag pun intended) past him. I look back, and immediately I hear his tires screeching, he tries to swerve and them BAM into the curb he goes, front end goes up and then crashes down in the lane I was traveling in. His debris catches the other car and the Veloster pulls off into the grass on whatever momentum it had left.

If I was in anything slower than my car, I'd have been a part of that collision for sure.

Definitely feel like there was a Jag pun intended here..
:p

But glad you and the cat came through unscathed!

matmanx1

Did some AutoX with Chicago PCA yesterday out at Autobahn in Joilet. This beauty showed up to race:
WdS3CXRl.jpg

Wow, glad you and the car are ok. Sounds like it could have been bad. It just goes to show that having enough power to get out of the way can be a very good thing.

Edit- Forgot to mention the awesome 356 speedster in the photo above. Lucky person! I think they are probably one of the most beautifully classic cars in existence.

matmanx1

I just drove around in an Alfa Romeo 4C for the weekend and it was gorgeous. It got so much more attention than anything else I've ever driven. It's also an incredibly fun experience driving something so visceral and raw, true to the spirit of driving race cars. With all that said, my back and my feet are totally sore. It kicked my butt driving that thing. I actually needed a massage and got one yesterday. I get a massage like once every couple years. Fantastic car, definitely fun and a memorable experience, but I don't think I could use that as a daily driver.

With all that said, it was so nice driving a Macan back home. The 718 feels like a Lexus compared to the Alfa Romeo 4C. And driving the Macan feels like a Bentley or something in comparison to the 4C.

I've never driven a Lotus Elise, but I imagine the experience to be similar to the 4C in that raw racing experience feel. If you have never driven the Alfa Romeo 4C, I highly recommend it.

Sounds like a blast! I wish I had a service a little closer in that would provide those types of experiences and the 4C is definitely one of my bucket list cars.

Wow, that's crazy. Good thing you're safe and you didn't get into any problems when making that last acceleration to avoid it all. Hopefully the people were all right, too.

I had a situation yesterday where I was just driving at normal street speed like 35 MPH or something after leaving a shopping plaza. I was driving on the right lane and suddenly a van parked on the right side of the street, without any turn signals or indication, just completely accelerates and jumps out to his left from his parallel parking spot. I don't know why, but I had a feeling something was going to happen even without seeing him, so when his car made the first move, I immediately pulled the wheel of the Macan to the left. Good thing that was no car to my left or else I would've hit. But yikes... With any car that doesn't have good response and handling, it would've been a dent to my right side.

Sounds like a blast! I wish I had a service a little closer in that would provide those types of experiences and the 4C is definitely one of my bucket list cars.

I hope you'll get a chance to sometime soon. I just realized after reading my last post, it sounds like I'm bashing the 4C, but I actually meant it all as a complement. It's a great car to experience, at least for a day or two. There's not many other cars, if any, like it out in the market right now or even in the last many years. Completely different and unique, gathers attention from bicyclists and onlookers everywhere. It was just fun. A special car, indeed. I hope Alfa Romeo does well in the coming years. It's about time we get more affordable Italian cars in the US. Now where's Peugeot and Renault from France?

J-Rzez

Have you considered paint protection? Like Xpel or other like product? I'm fairly certain that I will be doing that on my next "nice" car for at least the front end, hood and other places that might normally take damage from road debris. Protect that awesome car and then don't be afraid to drive it anywhere!

I can respray the front and hood for the price of that stuff. This is a daily driver, so I guess I shouldn't be overly worried, but still... Haha. If it were a garage queen, then yeah, I'd do it probably.

co5YsYT.jpg

SummitAve

Banned
The check engine light staying on for random amounts of time on every startup would kill me.

I'm secretly into the blue leather with wood trim.

Makki

Doug was an easy guy to read about on Jalopnik, but a hard person to watch on youtube. I tried to watch but had to tune off.

otapnam

Has anyone participated in bmws current ultimate driving experience tour?

I should be going tomorrow in san Fransisco. From the marketing it looks like theyll have us drive the new 5 series on autocross.

Hoping they have some other models available to checkout as well.

I'll be driving my f10 535 over to the event

golem

Seems like the BMW side of the Supra/Z4 will break cover Thursday at Monterey Car Week

drk8pqkqgnkd4xwxy1hr.jpg

Looks promising

Has anyone participated in bmws current ultimate driving experience tour?

I should be going tomorrow in san Fransisco. From the marketing it looks like theyll have us drive the new 5 series on autocross.

Hoping they have some other models available to checkout as well.

I'll be driving my f10 535 over to the event

I actually signed up but wasnt able to make it. I think a few people here signed up as well, not sure how it turned out

Akim

Banned
Has anyone here ever haggled for a car online? Most of the cars I'm interested in are about a 6-8 hour drive away. I'm thinking about just messaging them that I'm willing to pay X, and that I'm already preapproved for the financing. Any suggestions on the strategy?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has anyone here ever haggled for a car online? Most of the cars I'm interested in are about a 6-8 hour drive away. I'm thinking about just messaging them that I'm willing to pay X, and that I'm already preapproved for the financing. Any suggestions on the strategy?

I got the carsdirect price as the max I was willing to pay , made a couple of calls and then used a professional broker who haggles for you . She only charges her fee if she can beat the best price you got. I got lucky as the sales manager was a huge fan of the product I make - and the broker said she couldn't get anywhere near that (car is high demand in the state)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Auto-GAF...I'm asking for your help. An old friend of mine has been diagnosed with cancer. We are raising a small amount of money for her to cover expenses that insurance will not. We're doing well so far, but I'd really like hit that goal ASAP for her to make her feel a little more at ease and just focus on her health.

You owe me or my friend nothing. But any little contribution would be extremely appreciated.

#fuckcancer

GoFundMe link below:

gf.me/u/bwqpfw

Auto-GAF...I'm asking for your help. An old friend of mine has been diagnosed with cancer. We are raising a small amount of money for her to cover expenses that insurance will not. We're doing well so far, but I'd really like hit that goal ASAP for her to make her feel a little more at ease and just focus on her health.

You owe me or my friend nothing. But any little contribution would be extremely appreciated.

#fuckcancer

GoFundMe link below:

gf.me/u/bwqpfw

Sure thing. Hope she gets better!

golem

Done it before, just shotgun a bunch of emails out on cars you're interested in. Also some dealers might be able to trade cars with other nearby dealers to get the specific one you want. Once quotes come back try to play them off each other. Also a broker might be a good idea, if you are a Costco member they have a car buying service

#fuckcancer

GoFundMe link below:

gf.me/u/bwqpfw

Donated 👍

ascii42

BMW and Audi being the absolute worst is somewhat surprising especially when you consider the tiny European only brands mixed in there (like Skoda and Vauxhall). I think the Germans across the board have a lot of room for improvement, honestly.

JD Power surveys aren't exactly great, though. They track problems per hundred cars. Grampa can't figured out how to work the newfangled interface? That's a problem. Engine explodes? That's a problem.

Also, I would guess people who are buying a BMW or Audi would be less likely to tolerate minor issues than people who are buying a Kia.

JD Power surveys aren't exactly great, though. They track problems per hundred cars. Grampa can't figured out how to work the newfangled interface? That's a problem. Engine explodes? That's a problem.

Also, I would guess people who are buying a BMW or Audi would be less likely to tolerate minor issues than people who are buying a Kia.

I like the JD Power surveys. I've done them a few times myself. I think between them and Consumer Reports, there's a good idea of what to expect. But it seems many issues are electronic/infotainment system related when it comes to BMW, Mercedes, and Audi cars. Also, I actually agree that people who drive the luxury cars tend to be less forgiving with minor issues than with Japanese/Korean car drivers.

Akim

Banned

So I take it you wouldn't recommend daily driving a 4c?

This one is pretty sweet: http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-cars/detail/2015-Alfa-Romeo-4C-Coupe/995/ZARBAAA43FM168610

I really like this car and want to drive one. I'm used to driving uncomfortable cars anyway so I probably wouldn't mind. Also, my dad has an elise and I don't really find it that uncomfortable. And while I haven't driven a 718, only the first two generations of the car, I'd say your comparison is still fairly accurate. So I'd say the 4C is comparable to the elise in that regard.

So I take it you wouldn't recommend daily driving a 4c?

This one is pretty sweet: http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-cars/detail/2015-Alfa-Romeo-4C-Coupe/995/ZARBAAA43FM168610

I think you can definitely daily drive the car, but you just need to know what to expect. It's a fantastic driving experience for a car enthusiast, however, if you expect luxury like Mercedes Benz, Audi, or BMW interiors or even the Alfa Romeo Giula interior then you'll be in for a huge surprise. If you ever have a chance, definitely drive the car. The lack of power steering gave a lot of feedback to the steering wheel from the road and it's fantastic.

I really like this car and want to drive one. I'm used to driving uncomfortable cars anyway so I probably wouldn't mind. Also, my dad has an elise and I don't really find it that uncomfortable. And while I haven't driven a 718, only the first two generations of the car, I'd say your comparison is still fairly accurate. So I'd say the 4C is comparable to the elise in that regard.

I've never driven a Lotus Elise but I hear it's a rough ride. I think if it's anything like the 4C then it's fun to drive, a real treat. If you ever get a chance, definitely drive it hard. You can use a lot of its power on the streets and not hide it like a lot of supercars. The car is always in intense mode, even at 40 MPH or something and it's fun because of that.

Akim

Banned
I think you can definitely daily drive the car, but you just need to know what to expect. It's a fantastic driving experience for a car enthusiast, however, if you expect luxury like Mercedes Benz, Audi, or BMW interiors or even the Alfa Romeo Giula interior then you'll be in for a huge surprise. If you ever have a chance, definitely drive the car. The lack of power steering gave a lot of feedback to the steering wheel from the road and it's fantastic.

I already live in 500 square feet, I might as well have my car size and comfortability match.

lord pie

I'm thinking I'd like to get a new car sometime in the next year or two. I'm basically set that it'll be electric. Just makes sense.

Trouble is, I just don't really like Tesla that much. I respect them, a lot... I just don't like them. They are so unessecarily huge and techy for tech sake.

I'm disappointed there really hasn't been any good competition yet. Realistically only the bolt, and that thing has a massive identity crisis - they seem to promote it as some kind of premium priced, yet economy 'crossover' but 2wd. Plus it's ugly :p

Then there is the jaguar i-pace coming out next year. That thing looks freaking *perfect*. Basically *exactly* what I want in a car in every way, plus it looks amazing. I'm so close to putting my name down for a reservation, but then how much will it cost? 50k? 60k? 100k? And the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, which probably means even if I could buy it would I need to take a weekend to get it serviced? What if it broke down properly? Sounds like a total PITA.

*sigh*

I hope Volvo announce their electric line soon.
A full electric mix of the old c30 and new xc60 would be amazing.

I'm thinking I'd like to get a new car sometime in the next year or two. I'm basically set that it'll be electric. Just makes sense.

Trouble is, I just don't really like Tesla that much. I respect them, a lot... I just don't like them. They are so unessecarily huge and techy for tech sake.

I'm disappointed there really hasn't been any good competition yet. Realistically only the bolt, and that thing has a massive identity crisis - they seem to promote it as some kind of premium priced, yet economy 'crossover' but 2wd. Plus it's ugly :p

Then there is the jaguar i-pace coming out next year. That thing looks freaking *perfect*. Basically *exactly* what I want in a car in every way, plus it looks amazing. I'm so close to putting my name down for a reservation, but then how much will it cost? 50k? 60k? 100k? And the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, which probably means even if I could buy it would I need to take a weekend to get it serviced? What if it broke down properly? Sounds like a total PITA.

*sigh*

I hope Volvo announce their electric line soon.
A full electric mix of the old c30 and new xc60 would be amazing.

Maybe lease an i3 till the i-pace or some other alternative is out?

otapnam

I actually signed up but wasnt able to make it. I think a few people here signed up as well, not sure how it turned out

The event was pretty cool. They had a bunch of cars you could checkout like a showroom and a bunch you could do a street test drive.

For the auto cross portion they had 4 tracks for all the groups to be broken out to then split is up by instructor.

They had 2017 g30 540i and 540xdrives for the auuto x. The pros took us out on a slow lap then a fast lap. I was pretty surprised how easy it was for them to whip us around the track in the car. I could never imagine doing that with my car (previous gen 2014 f10 535i).

We were then given 2 Laps in the 540i and then 2 in the 540x drive. Afterwards they timed us in the 540xdrive for our best lap with the top finishers in the 4 groups going for a shootout. The best times from each event across the country would win a trip to the performance school in thermal ca for another race.

I only finished 3rd in my group so no shootout for me lol. Id only ever been to a Mazda event 10 years ago and haven't ever raced a real car so i had a really good time. Pretty fun for a free event so i cant complain

golem

They had 2017 g30 540i and 540xdrives for the auuto x. The pros took us out on a slow lap then a fast lap. I was pretty surprised how easy it was for them to whip us around the track in the car. I could never imagine doing that with my car (previous gen 2014 f10 535i).

How were your impressions of the G30 vs the F10?

otapnam

How were your impressions of the G30 vs the F10?

the G30 did look better in person than photos - i actually dig the side profile a little bit more now.

The ones they had us drive didnt have M Sport (suspension upgrades the big one missing here) but did have some non-runflat tires meant for the track i wasnt sure what they are. In terms of the interior and other elements there are some updates but I do like some of the simplicity i have on the F10.

Handling and Power? The cars felt pretty nice actually, again ive never pushed my F10 like we did yesterday so I cant give a 1:1 review. The G30 540i has about +30/+30 and -300lbs on the F10 535i so theres definitely some difference there.

I'd say if you were in the market now and could afford a new G30 you probably wouldnt be dissapointed.

Top Bottom