• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remakes with New Content

What video game remakes have been released with new content excluding updated graphics that was not in the original games.

I don't play many remakes so the only title that comes to mind is Ultra Street Fighter 2 Final Challengers...

Character-Select.jpg

Is this a type of feature that could have a broad appeal? How do you feel about new content added to old classics?

Only when it's better than the original and a good amount of content is added, but the example in the OP is not an example of being better than the original nor adding a decent amount of content.

-MD-

One of the best examples of this is REmake, it had a graphical overhaul as well as new content and was superior to the original.

mikestrife

Final Fantasy 4,5,6 GBA had new stuff added, but I think 4 is the standout one with new dugeons/trails and the ability to swap party members in late game to take characters into the end of the game that you couldn't before.

Z..

Only when it's better than the original and a good amount of content is added, but the example in the OP is not an example of being better than the original nor adding a decent amount of content.
This. Same for HD Remix. Hyper SF2 is still the very best version available.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
COD4 remake added player cards, and guns that otherwise weren't in the first game which were a welcome (the later).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Legend of Zelda : Link's awakening DX

New costumes to wear and new dungeon.
And in colour !

gfxtwin

Kinda cheating with this one, but Gears of War: Ultimate Edition added an entire chapter and boss fight that was cut from the original release (but was in the original PC version)

Black Mesa (unofficial remake of Half-Life 1, but as good as any remake done via source engine could possibly be) is mostly the exact same game, but in addition to improved graphics, adds stuff like HL2's physics system, extended chapters, and a reimagining of the final levels that take place on Xen.

aaaaaa

Super Mario 64 DS had four playable characters (vs. 1 in the original) and some new stages. I thought the new characters were a weak addition since all of the original stages were designed with Mario in mind. Some of the stages were reworked too, like fixing the camera when you're at the top of Wet-Dry World, and making the pit in the clock stage smaller.

Super Mario Bros. 2 on the GBA, released as Super Mario Advance, added in giant enemies, new bosses, voice acting, and some collectables. I found it pretty hilarious to play after growing up on the original.

BTHR Zero X

For me Lost Planet Extreme Conditions was amazing!

Then came Lost Planet Colonies and add a bunch of cool stuff.

3 New Single Player Modes
Score Attack Mode
Trial Battle Mode
Unlimited Mode

4 New MP Maps
Crossfire City
Area 921
Lost Arena
Assault Space

10 New MP Weapons
Flame Launcher
Hand Cannon
Hand Gun
Revolver
Laser Lancer
Missile Pod
Pile Driver
VS Rifle
Energy Grenade
Fire Grenade

8 New MP Modes
Team Battle
Point Snatcher
VS Annihilator
Counter Grab
Akrid Egg Battle
Team Egg Bandit
Egg Bandit
Akrid Hunter

5 New MP Characters
Valkyrie
PT-76
Snow Bunnie
Frank West
Eraser

Plus it had all the DLC MP Maps from the Extreme Conditions as well, this was one awesome edition.

Mknzy

I'm not sure how substantial it is, as I haven't gotten there yet, but the .hack//G.U. remake that just came out includes an entire 4th game that wasn't originally part of the series. Probably fairly short, but still cool that they did it.

Jezan

Not sure Final Challengers counts since it is like the upgraded version of the remake that was released many years ago. The remake didn't add anything iirc.

I was going to mention Chrono Trigger for DS but it was already covered.

For me Lost Planet Extreme Conditions was amazing!

Then came Lost Planet Colonies and add a bunch of cool stuff.

3 New Single Player Modes
Score Attack Mode
Trial Battle Mode
Unlimited Mode

4 New MP Maps
Crossfire City
Area 921
Lost Arena
Assault Space

10 New MP Weapons
Flame Launcher
Hand Cannon
Hand Gun
Revolver
Laser Lancer
Missile Pod
Pile Driver
VS Rifle
Energy Grenade
Fire Grenade

8 New MP Modes
Team Battle
Point Snatcher
VS Annihilator
Counter Grab
Akrid Egg Battle
Team Egg Bandit
Egg Bandit
Akrid Hunter

5 New MP Characters
Valkyrie
PT-76
Snow Bunnie
Frank West
Eraser

Plus it had all the DLC MP Maps from the Extreme Conditions as well, this was one awesome edition.

I would love a 4K remake from Capcom. I adore this franchise.

meerak

The REmake added..

- emergency escape items (knife, grenade)
- red (redead) zombies & related mechanics
- new rooms

That’s off the top of my head.

Yes, it’s an incredible achievement.

I'm gonna be that guy, but a lot of examples like the op and such are more just enhanced ports than remakes.

Wild Arms Alter Code F would be a remake. REmake would be a remake. Link's Awakening DX is a port.

Top Bottom