• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CANDLE for wii u uses direct x11 shaders for dynamic lighting.

ahm998

CANDLE, a dynamic graphic adventure, is officially confirmed for Wii U, however, the interesting thing about the game is that it uses Direct X11 shaders for dynamic lighting.

Final Fantasy 15 producer Tetsuya Nomura suggested that Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 can’t be on Wii U because it doesn’t support Direct X11. Either way, check out the Kickstarter video for CANDLE.

Here is what the developers said about bringing the game to Wii U.

“We really want to take Candle to Next-Gen consoles, so we immediately talked to Nintendo and showed them our precious game.”

“We love Nintendo platforms since our childhood has been full of them, so it was natural for us to go for it. We are already thinking about dedicated gameplay on Wii U – we are not doing any kind of quick port. We will designe specific gameplay features for its gamepad: all the menus, inventory and minigames will be tactile-controled on the touchscreen, as well as other unique actions concerning Teku’s candle. We will talk more deeply about this when we start developing all that stuff.”

Good that we get confirmation from indie :)

link

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lies, Wii U can't run DX11.

DX11 shader code can compile down into DX10 shader compatibility.

It runs slower, but this is why DX10 cards can run DX11 shader code (and thus DX11 games).

Now, I'm not an expert on the topic and Nintendo could have shoved more advanced shaders on the Wii U's GPU, but even if they didn't, it would still work.

Colonel

Neo Member
DX11 shader code can compile down into DX10 shader compatibility.

It runs slower, but this is why DX10 cards can run DX11 shader code (and thus DX11 games).

Now, I'm not an expert on the topic and Nintendo could have shoved more advanced shaders on the Wii U's GPU, but even if they didn't, it would still work.

but dont Wii U use 10.1 or eqaul?

From the gameplay it just looks like it's illuminating billboarded polygons. Doesn't seem very complex in comparison to a fully 3D game like Kingdom Hearts.

I always thought DirectX was a Microsoft thing, and Nintendo/Sony used OpenGL instead.

kinggroin

Banned
I think a DX11 lighting shader is the smallest of reasons why FF15 and KH3 can't be ported to Wii U.

Game in the OP looks alright. Seems to be coming along well enough.

Dang0

They never actually say the Wii U version will use dx11.

CANDLE in the wind

And it seemed to me, you lived your life like a console in the wind, never knowing who to cling to when the droughts came in. I would have liked to have bought you, but I wasn't a kid, your candle burnt out long before, Nintendo ever did.

Love you, Wii U

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmmm who is more trustworthy, some indie or Lord Nomura?

I think a DX11 lighting shader is the smallest of reasons why FF15 and KH3 can't be ported to Wii U.

Game in the OP looks alright. Seems to be coming along well enough.

One thing left out of the original article is that he said DX11 feature and hardware power (as in the hardware power you normally associate with DX11 graphics cards on PC).

There are even mobile chips that can do DX11.1 featureset wise, but they obviously don't have the same computational grunt as what was released for PC as DX11 cards when they first came out.

I am confused... where in the article does it specify that this is DX11 dynamic lighting... (or rather, where in the actual developer quote does it specify this)

Is Dynamic Lighting exclusive to DX11?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just because it's using DX11 effects on PC doesn't mean that they can port that code fragment to WiiU.

Either they're going to have to remove that feature or fake it by doing something else.

Famassu

Lies, Wii U can't run DX11.
It probably can't if the game in question is a massive scale open(-ish) world RPG that pushes the hardware to its limits, but they can probably use some trickery to make it work when it's a somewhat simple 2d adventure game.

lefantome

Nice idea to boost their kickstarter.

I'm wondering if all this wii u supports from KS is real or just a way to attract nintendo fans money, probably both of them.
Btw there is nothing weird in it, you can do whatever you want with wii u the problem is in the performance.

Orayn

Just because it's using DX11 effects on PC doesn't mean that they can port that code fragment to WiiU.

Either they're going to have to remove that feature or fake it by doing something else.

What's "fake" about getting DX11-equivalent effects running on Wii U's API?

Nice idea to boost their kickstarter.

I'm wondering if al this wii u supports from KS is real or just a way to attract nintendo fans money

It's a fairly indie-friendly system and they expect Wii U eShop versions to sell enough turn a profit. Nothing wrong with that.

Seems to me like they use the DX11 renderer in Unity, which then compiles it to DX10.

From Unity site:

Enabling DirectX 11
To enable DirectX 11 for your game builds and the editor, set "Use DX11" option in Player Settings. Unity editor needs to be restarted for this to take effect.

Note that DX11 requires Windows Vista or later and at least a DX10-level GPU (preferably DX11-level). Unity editor window title has "<DX11>" at the end when it is actually running in DX11 mode.

From the comment of the article:

Hi guys! Teku Studios here.

Just to clarify, we will ADAPT our DirectX11 features to Wii U, not that it supports them natively. However, we are very happy with Nintendo and its console, and we think that it well deserves that extra effort :)

.... and frankly, the game (while otherwise great) doesn't seem very tecnologically demanding

KKRT00

Its not using same DX11 shader, its using rewritten shader for WiiU from DX11, same as many other multiplatform games like BF 3 or Crysis 3.

===edit==

Just to clarify, we will ADAPT our DirectX11 features to Wii U, not that it supports them natively. However, we are very happy with Nintendo and its console, and we think that it well deserves that extra effort :)

.... and frankly, the game (while otherwise great) doesn't seem very tecnologically demanding
Exactly.

lord pie

Just because an indie team has compiled single shader with shader model 5 (DX11) doesn't mean they require the SM5 feature set or that it shows that a DX10 era platform supports SM5 (which it doesn't - it doesn't support DX at all!).

They have written a simple shader that tints part of the screen to represent lighting from a candle. That's about as simple as you can get for a shader in a modern game. It doesn't magically prove that porting FF15 is trivial. Bloody hell, common sense please!

I'd wouldn't be surprised if the shader compiled perfectly fine against ps_4_0_level_9_1 (DX 9.1 feature set via DX11 interface).

[edit] Thank god some common sense! :)

majik13

yeah my thoughts exactly. The fully hand painted and animated art is awesome, but besides that the tech seems very minimal...

hell the candle lighting, at least in the small kickstarter vid , could have been just a standard radial gradient brightening the background for all I know. I could not see any examples of actual lighting, let alone dx11 lighting. I am not even sure how they are using lighting on flat planes of art. (gonna assume some displacement or normal/bump mapping) Though I am sure if I saw the game running in person then perhaps would notice something then.

edit: I also didnt watch the whole vid, just till the part where they talk about the dx11 lighting.

Well, that's that I guess.

Only make cake when someone dies

Tribute-Cake.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Just what I thought. I'll be interested to see how the WiiU implementation looks relative to the PC version.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

charsace

DX10 was the start of a new DX. DX10 and DX11 are in the same DX family so its possible to run DX11 shaders in DX10. Unity uses HLSL and cg for the shader languages.

1.- Topic title is missleading.

2.- Why hasn't the OP made any corrections to the first post after this clarification?

3.- And Nomura was indeed correct:
Originally Posted by MaxwellParrish

All seems really dishonest and a spread of missinformation to fuel console wars. Or more fitting to placate console insecurities.

If they're using Unity, I don't think they'll be getting DX11 effects on the Wii U (or any other OpenGL platform), as instead of compiling shaders with Nvidia's Cg, DX11 shaders have to be compiled with Microsoft's own proprietary tool.

I suppose the Wii U Unity build might have it's own special Nintendo-provided compiler that will translate the DX11 calls into something its version of OpenGL supports, but it seems unlikely.

Edit: Oh, it's already been debunked by Refreshment.01 above.

Top Bottom