• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Screenshot Contest

Here's mine.
Not going (judging by the amazing shots so far) to win but I liked the idea.

Bl2v3DOIUAAz8aA.jpg:orig

Sami+

Hope you guys like it! :D

*image*

EDIT - Changing my entry. Thanks for the quotes though, guys! I'm happy you liked it. :)

infamousssportraithofm6.png

I have the same frame in landscape, but I'm not sure which looks nicer. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Will the judges take into account how many times a pic has been quoted and its general popularity in the thread when deciding what the best pictures are?

Cess007

Awesome idea! Thowing this pic into the mix. I only rotated it didn't touch anything else :)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/110/d/2/untitled_by_kane1345-d7f8iqd.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Just so you know...
My new background...

[img]http://s22.postimg.org/qfa2coav5/Screenshot_2014_04_22_23_01_13.png[img][/QUOTE]

Yep, i have the same pic as my iphone wallpaper. It's just insane. If it were for me, you would win Kane. Anyway, here's my entry:

[IMG]http://a.pomf.se/eijapb.jpg

Lol, of course I can. Didn't notice before, was just a rushed job. If anybody has a better tagline or proper credits, shoot me a PN. :)

Love that! When I saw the original pic the first thing I thought of was a movie poster! This is my fave for sure.

And... can people stop quoting the actual image... it is ruining the thread.

Grimløck;109167537 said:
i have the exact same screen shot lol.

I was shocked to see it made the Kotaku roundup. I had to double-check to make sure it was the one I did, even though they'd posted my name with it. lol

HTupolev

How the...

How is a missile that you see VERY quickly maybe half a dozen times in the game so well and meticulously rendered?

Damn, Sucker Punch.
That's not actually that weird; the textures aren't amazing, and the missile in likely only uses somewhere in the vague ballpark of half a thousand polygons.

Here are some missiles in Halo 3 which are pretty hard to discern in the regular course of gameplay outside of their trails, and which don't really show up in the foreground aside from a single campaign level and very rarely in MP. Obviously lower quality (I would guess fewer than 1/3rd the polys per missile, for starters), but it's a last-gen game that doesn't have very heavy emphasis on asset fidelity, you could probably find seventh-gen games with significantly higher-quality random missiles that you can't really see:

(Beyond that, welcome to ISS glorious camera mode DoF.)

That's not actually that weird; the textures aren't amazing, and the missile in likely only uses somewhere in the vague ballpark of half a thousand polygons.

Here are some missiles in Halo 3 which are pretty hard to discern in the regular course of gameplay outside of their trails, and which don't really show up in the foreground aside from a single campaign level and very rarely in MP. Obviously lower quality (I would guess fewer than 1/3rd the polys per missile, for starters), but it's a last-gen game that doesn't have very heavy emphasis on asset fidelity, you could probably find seventh-gen games with significantly higher-quality random missiles that you can't really see:

(Beyond that, welcome to ISS glorious camera mode DoF.)

Good job counting those polygons on the missile. How do you do mate? Mind explaining?

HTupolev

Good job counting those polygons on the missile. How do you do mate? Mind explaining?
You can see the large polygon ridges and count them. The really tiny creases are probably just normal mapped.

Multiply the joints in the band by two (the missile is probably predominantly made from quads, 2 triangles per quad), multiply that by the number of bands visible along the missile, and you should get a vague ballpark estimate. Given how meshes tend to be generated, the front of the missile is likely a bit "cheaper" than the estimate (it's possibly a fancy mesh of triangles instead of a bunch of 2-tri quad bands), but that'll be counteracted to some degree by stuff like the fins (and the tail end, which we haven't counted).

You can see that there's probably around 20 joints in the band going around the missile, and if you count the nose there's maybe up to 10 creases lengthwise. That gives a throw-your-arms-in-the-air estimate of 20*2*10 = 400 give or take some ("vague ballpark of half a thousand").

Of course, my chair doesn't even have arms on it, so someone from Sucker Punch could probably drop in and tell me I'm way off. It's usually the case that polygon counting is dangerous; I never attempt it except for extremely structurally simple objects, and I suppose this might be pushing it.

AdanVC

Hope you guys like it! :D

*image*

EDIT - Changing my entry. Thanks for the quotes though, guys! I'm happy you liked it. :)

infamousssportraithofm6.png

I have the same frame in landscape, but I'm not sure which looks nicer. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

This shot printed and framed beautifully and it could easily being exposed in an art gallery, seriously! My favorite entry so far.

PS. I think the vertical shoot looks better than landscape. Vertically makes it look more spectacular and dramatic :)

You can see the large polygon ridges and count them. The really tiny creases are probably just normal mapped.

Multiply the joints in the band by two (the missile is probably predominantly made from quads, 2 triangles per quad), multiply that by the number of bands visible along the missile, and you should get a vague ballpark estimate. Given how meshes tend to be generated, the front of the missile is likely a bit "cheaper" than the estimate (it's possibly a fancy mesh of triangles instead of a bunch of 2-tri quad bands), but that'll be counteracted to some degree by stuff like the fins (and the tail end, which we haven't counted).

You can see that there's probably around 20 joints in the band going around the missile, and if you count the nose there's maybe up to 10 creases lengthwise. That gives a throw-your-arms-in-the-air estimate of 20*2*10 = 400 give or take some ("vague ballpark of half a thousand").

Of course, my chair doesn't even have arms on it, so someone from Sucker Punch could probably drop in and tell me I'm way off. It's usually the case that polygon counting is dangerous; I never attempt it except for extremely structurally simple objects, and I suppose this might be pushing it.

Thanks for the explanation, and I largely agree with you. However, I think Infamous is very much setting a standard for asset quality in open world games. Of course, I reckon that other games will follow suite from here on out.

Top Bottom