• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

IrishNinja

It doesn't need to make sense. It's their rules.

You're dumb.

i bet you can play corporate defense force without personally insulting someone, if you tried

I think some people are overlooking the fact that not everyone that has the ability to snag the game early is as informed as the average GAF member. My brother-in-law for instance, knows enough people that I could see him doing something similar to what Skel1ngt0n did, the difference being that he doesn't read forums and news sites, and would be totally unaware of the potential repercussions. To say he, or anyone else, including Skel1ngt0n, would "have it coming to them" is fucking ridiculous.

^also see this

Choc

Banned
Very intriguing, I look forward to finding out. Certainly don't answer if it could get you in trouble, but is it something that will be wildly known, and obviously what you're referring to on the day?

No, i sort of hinted at it earlier in the thread. Lets see if you guys can read between the lines. Consumers won't know about it :)

Zeal

Banned
I really fucking wish i could tell you guys why its important MS is restricting the game right now to those they know about

but i can't until thursday

Watch it be somekind of huge wave of legal action that MS is taking against everyone caught downloading or playing the game or some shit.

Am I even in the right direction here?

Choc

Banned
The thing about the embargo is even if somebody who's played the leak through one means or another hit upon the right thing and are talking about it all over the web, we can't acknowledge it because we signed the agreement not to talk 'til Thursday.

That said, I'm not really sure what Choc's talking about specifically, and I'm staring at my embargo right now.. I might just be missing something obvious.

Go boot up halo 4 xbox live right now :) You'll know what i mean.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I never signed a contract with Microsoft stating that I have to obey any of their "street dates" (and at least where I live, such a clause couldn't be hidden in terms of service but would have to explicitly highlighted under consumer protection laws)
you're right. which is why you can't be legally prosecuted for it

You did agree to a TOS for use on xbox live though. and I'm sure there's something in there that gives them the right for bans like this

netBuff

He didn't buy it. They didn't give him a reciept and told him they would ring it up later.

Whether an act of sale happened doesn't depend on the internal process of accounting the store uses. It depends on whether both involved parties are willing to exchange goods for money - which happened here.

You did agree to a TOS for use on xbox live though. and I'm sure there's something in there that gives them the right for bans like this

They certainly are allowed to ban you, but I don't agree with some people in this thread that claim some obligation to obey arbitrary street dates.

Chakan

Halo 4 officially launches on Nov. 6th. If you play online (even with an original copy), I believe you can be banned nonetheless.

element

I think some people are overlooking the fact that not everyone that has the ability to snag the game early is as informed as the average GAF member.
I think you overlook that 95% buy their games from stores that wouldn't sell it to them. And out of those people I think most would hesitate when not given a receipt upon purchase.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Halo 4 officially launches on Nov. 6th. If you play online (even with an original copy), I believe you can be banned nonetheless.
Frankie and David Ellis said(in the Halo OT's) if you manage to grab a legitimate copy you would not get banned.

Here he's saying skellington's copy is not legit, the store duped him it seems:
relax. I will take care of it. Your copy is not legitimate - the store efffed up. But you will be unbanned soon.

There shouldn't be any reason to punish someone for playing a game obtained from a retailer who broke street date. The retailer in question could or should face repercussions but that's between the publisher and the retailer.

Unfortunately in OP's case there is no proof about it being a legitimate purchase, only good faith from the people reading the thread. I'm willing to believe the store gave him no receipt probably to avoid the potential repercussions of it breaking said street date.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
He was playing a fucking game he purchased properly. I don't know how anyone can defend his console getting banned.

Should read the thread. Some people in the industry have done a pretty good job of it so far.

As a developer, I'm totally on MS side here. I'm personally surprised in the defense for the guy who bought it fully knowing he was breaking the rules and considering the store would 'ring it out' on launch day just tells you how shady it is.

Breaking streets dates is serious. While it is nice of Frank to step in and help this guy out, this guy still stepped in shit on his own.

There is a big difference between copies being sold within 24 hours of the street date and well over a week. When these games are delivered to stores they come with a very specific seal and paperwork clearly saying "DO NOT SELL BEFORE 11/6/2012", with also listing possible penalties if caught doing so.

Why is it a shame? That you can't scam the system by dealing with stores that should be prosecuted or fined? That you have to wait like all the other gamers and stores that do follow the rules?

This kind of pro-corporation talk is really scary

element

I think you overlook that 5% is still a lot
The 5% of stores without systems to prevent sales like this probably don't even get Halo 4 until it is officially out.

Like I said, this is a very special case. IMO MS probably could have waited an extra week before shipping to retailers.

What is scary about it? It work in games. My livelihood depends on my job. Think of the people that worked on the game. You get upset because someone got their gamertag banned, but something like this could cause a game not to sell which could cost people their jobs at the developer (if it were to affect sales). This is why there are street dates and embargos.

Choc

Banned
I really wish i could tell you now because what im talking about flows into elements comments and thoughts as a developer

:|

ARRRRRRRRRGH, hopefully someone reads between the lines. I am sure element knows what i am talking about.

StuBurns

Banned
me? nope.
I'm now obsessed with this secret. Not on the disc, but pertaining to people owning the game? Damn, it's like riddle. Maybe once you go online with Halo 4, MS send you, or give you something from their store, Beta access to Gears or something. Ummmm.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Corporations and the people that work with them/for them kinda have to be pro-corporations.

It's kind of their livelihood

I have no problem with corporations protecting their interests. Even if I don't agree with the practices

After all they're just videogames to us.

netBuff

He didn't purchase it properly and states that in the OP.

He absolutely DID purchase it properly and states that in the OP. He just doesn't have a receipt for the transaction. It's irrelevant to the discussion anyway, as Microsoft doesn't have a way to differentiate between a stolen and a purchased copy.

The customer shouldn't have to care about Microsoft's marketing plan, if a store is willing to sell it to him that's not his problem. A customer can and should expect a game he bought to work and not give him any further hassle.

zychi

Banned
you're sol. I got banned because they gave out free maps on call of duty black ops for hardended purchasers and MS thought I "stole them off the marketplace"

they don't care. you have to give them more money to play their games now. thats more money in their pocket. its shitty but its how it is.

E: I lost all of my XBL content when they banned my tag, and it's a big reason I don't buy anything on live anymore.

Homeboyd

Edit: ^ lol, read thread

I really wish i could tell
you now because what im talking about flows into elements comments and thoughts as a developer

:|

ARRRRRRRRRGH, hopefully someone reads between the lines. I am sure element knows what i am talking about.
Flow it right into my inbox.

Karl2177

I kinda feel a bit bad right now. I told the OP that it was fine to post his impressions on GAF as long as he showed a receipt. He said he didn't have one so a picture of the disc would suffice. It really didn't suffice...

me? nope.

That teasing. How about this: On a scale of 1 to awesome, how awesome is it?

DocSeuss

Absolutely!! The fines for selling the last book for Harry Potter were HUGE if I remember correctly.

Agreed 100%

I do not understand this. I mean, a store buys a product from the creator. The store now owns this copy of the product. Surely the store can do with it what they wish?

Yes. It's not his fault they sold him the game earlier, he shouldn't be going through this. I couldn't care less what industry insiders say. Yeah if he pirated it, fucking nuke the console remotely for all I care.

Errr I agree, thats why I asked you that.
There are people that said that things like the RROD and (in less quantity) YLOD were "natural things that happened to electronic devices."
You will find people that defend corporations like they worked for them.

Choc

Banned
its not awesome at all, its not super good and its just a fact of development that this happens

You guys won't see it at all :)

Risette

A Good Citizen
I do not understand this. I mean, a store buys a product from the creator. The store now owns this copy of the product. Surely the store can do with it what they wish?
Not if they have a contract that prevents them from doing anything with it until the date signified on the box. Which is the case here, apparently.

jrDev

So you bought it early and I am assuming you know that people have been banned before for playing early released games while signed in. So why'd you do it?

Your post just makes you seem like such a victim and Microsoft is so evil.

StuBurns

Banned
its not awesome at all, its not super good and its just a fact of development that this happens

You guys won't see it at all :)
Debug mode with helmetless chief, it can be nothing else.

Actually, that does make me wonder if remote debug menus could be activated on a per-account basis, I imagine so.

No, the store fucked up here. They are in the wrong, not the consumer and here, the consumer is the one who suffered the consequences.

netBuff

For such products, stores typically have special agreements with distributors that detail when they can start selling it and what happens when they are in breach of contract (= sell the product early).

antonz

Corporations and the people that work with them/for them kinda have to be pro-corporations.

It's kind of their livelihood

I have no problem with corporations protecting their interests. Even if I don't agree with the practices

After all they're just videogames to us.

Even then nothing he did hurts the corporation or the people working for it. His money goes down the food chain just as it would a week from now. If Microsoft wants to get mad they could you know use that private info the subscriber supplies to contact them and find out who broke the street date and then target the actual problem.

He absolutely DID purchase it properly and states that in the OP. He just doesn't have a receipt for the transaction.

It's irrelevant to the discussion anyway, as Microsoft doesn't have a way to differentiate between a stolen and a purchased copy.

The customer shouldn't have to care about Microsoft's marketing plan, if a store is willing to sell it to him that's not his problem.

If the person does not have the receipt of a game that's not officially released, then what proof does he have that he purchased it legitimately?

JABEE

You have to sign agreements to carry certain items which makes sense. Retailers need time to receive items, set aside preorders, and make sure they don't have people lining up with no games in stock. It also prevents other retailers from cutting into other businesses if they get their shipments early.

They sign contracts with those shipments. Consumers don't sign contracts. Even if it is in a TOS, consumers don't have the same expertise in law as a store signing wholesale/distributor agreements would. It's kind of crazy to ban and ask questions later. It places unjust burden on the customer to prove ownership.

Top Bottom