• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

jon_dojah

Banned
some worked fine with me but stuff like The Lab and the robot rebuilding/portal game, the stuff I need to do is out of bounds. and if I turn around my tracking breaks a bunch. 2 sensors is fine for most things but... walking around a lot, i've hit a lot of dead zones.

Its even an issue when just painting the play space for Guardian. I'm anxiously waiting for the 3rd sensor. I hope it ships on schedule and gets rid of most if not all the occlusion issues.

My Touch arrived. Installation was at first a snag; plugging in the second camera started giving me blue screens due to weirdness with a USB driver. Switching it to a separate set of USB inputs took care of that, though. Actual setup pretty straightforward. I was wondering why there was no indication on how to get started pairing the controllers and was having to turn to Google, but Oculus Home noticed the second camera and led through the process of pairing and such. Also pretty friendly about telling how you should adjust the angles of your cameras. I had them pointing much too much towards me in the center.

My limited area of use is already a problem, though. In the future when using this I'll move away the tables I have my keyboard/mouse/etc. on as much as possible, but when doing the intro demo I was running into them all the time. Try to pick up one of the disks from the robot, smack into a table. Having the Guardian thing on was interesting for a bit, in as much as now it was possible to see in game when I'd be knocking on the shelving immediately to my left. Since I'm in a pretty small area, though, being surrounded by a blue grid a very short distance away was pretty annoying so I turned it off.

Picking things up feels a bit ham-handed; since the grip acts as three of your fingers, it feels kind of like wearing mittens, though these mittens at least allow the index finger to be separate. Probably the most fun things I've yet run into are where I had to use two hands together in a natural way. Like holding a firework in one hand, shaking open a lighter with the other, then lighting the fuse. Or holding a slingshot in one hand, and using the other hand to pull back and shoot it.

One of the earliest Riff apps, Ocean Rift, has new Touch controls. After trying some of the other demos the lack of matching finger positioning stuck out. With gamepad you'd use the analog stick to change the direction of swimming, with a button each for going up and going down. Touch replaces that with two alternate methods. You can either use the triggers in a crude approximation of swimming that's more pushing or pulling yourself around the ocean, or you can aim in a direction and use the grip to activate hand propellers which will move you in that direction. No new creature interactions.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Even as a vive only owner (will get rift in future) I am glad with the launch. Rift owners can now enjoy vr motion games, developers can have more sales, and vive owners can have a bigger pool of players to play online vr games. Its a win for the entire vr industry

Seiru

Banned
Shooting somebody in SUPERHOT, and then catching their gun with my other hand and immediately shooting another person with it

This is a shit that makes these controllers worth it, man

I sold my rift as a result but wouldn't judge anyone for having / buying one. It was a personal decision. I only just recently ordered a vive to replace it. Seeing all the good feedback on the touch (is it fundamentally different from the vivr controller?) makes me a bit jealous though :)

Also I have a fair amount of games on oculus home I hope I'll be able to play with revive, but I kind of have no idea.
I know what that's like, but the revised Vive controllers look more touch like. I'll be keeping an eye on whatever they do with the Vive refresh.

Good to see touch performing well though.

So best buy failed, went in and they said mine was available for pickup. Then they came back out and said it's not available and not in store, they said I can reorder it and have it shipped now to my place by the 9th, or wait till it's in stock. Wtf...

That sucks. My order is just sitting in preparing status as I'm sure it's because I'm now behind everyone else that pre-ordered (regardless of the date) that opted for shipping. Going to give them a call tomorrow if nothing changes. Come on Best Buy!

Well, when I got it working, it seemed great. But I've been having issues and haven't figured out exactly what it is. Basically, even stationary, the touch displays will "jump" around even when I'm not moving them. It's like their sensing them in an odd position and will just jump around.

I've never really had any problems with other games pre-Touch. I'm wondering if it's my USB ports or maybe even the sensor itself. I'm not entirely sure. I will have to troubleshoot it later on this week.

I've had a bunch of problems with my rig recently, and it keeps frustrating the hell out of me.

Pakesaker

So i just got a Rift and Touch and set them up tonight. I had never used any VR headset prior to tonight. First impressions are that it is pretty neat, but it seems oddly low resolution compared to what I expected. I have a 6700K, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4. Can anyone speak to this?

Sky Chief

Got my Touch controllers today and I'm pretty excited because I only used my Rift a couple times because it just couldn't compete with my Vive.

First impression though is that for someone with big hands the handles are awfully short and thin and because of that I'm having some major problems keeping them properly balanced in my hand unless I hold them tighter than I want. Maybe I'm just too used to the Vive controllers but I feel like I can't really keep my hands comfortably loose because the size is so small and they are so top heavy in my big hands. Definitely have to keep the wrist straps on.

jon_dojah

Banned
So i just got a Rift and Touch and set them up tonight. I had never used any VR headset prior to tonight. First impressions are that it is pretty neat, but it seems oddly low resolution compared to what I expected. I have a 6700K, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4. Can anyone speak to this?

Use the oculus debug tool to supersample. You should be able to max it out with your rig since its pretty similar to mine. Cleans things up pretty nice.

Seiru

Banned
Well, when I got it working, it seemed great. But I've been having issues and haven't figured out exactly what it is. Basically, even stationary, the touch displays will "jump" around even when I'm not moving them. It's like their sensing them in an odd position and will just jump around.

I've never really had any problems with other games pre-Touch. I'm wondering if it's my USB ports or maybe even the sensor itself. I'm not entirely sure. I will have to troubleshoot it later on this week.

I've had a bunch of problems with my rig recently, and it keeps frustrating the hell out of me.

Double check that both your sensors are still green in the Oculus devices menu. I had some issues with the USB card I'm using with two sensors. Realized that one wasn't even working and Oculus Home failed to even notify me about it.

Touch controllers aren't going to arrive tonight.. Fucking FedEx man. It's been at the local sorting facility most of the afternoon.

charpunk

Kind of wish I didn't buy the Vive now, the oculus is so much better now. The touch controllers just feel so perfect. I need to start experimenting with steam games some more and maybe pick up a third sensor, but damn I'm in love with these things.

As someone else mentioned, you can super sample the games which can help a bit. With a 1080 you have a lot of room you could probably push many games.

Regardless, you will notice the resolution for sure. It's pretty good, but VR has a ways to go until that aspect isn't as huge of a factor.

The total resolution is 2160x1200, so each eye has a 1080x1200 panel. The problem is there weren't high frame rate, high resolution screens with low persistence out there (they are now certainly in R&D since display manufacturers can win big in VR), but even if some mythical 16k 90Hz display existed you do run into the problem of the power needed to power such a screen at 90fps in games. In addition, FOV is a factor as well, because the greater the FOV, the reduction in resolution per degree you get. It's all a matter of trade offs to get the right balance in image quality.

In my experience, the first time you try a headset on, it may surprise you since you're used to high resolution, high PPI 2D displays. However, a few minutes into the experience and the resolution pretty much fades away. Plus, developers have gotten really good at dealing with those requirements now (as an example, text placement and readability).

Enjoy!

Bubba77

I have never felt more bad ass in VR than in superHOT, holy shit

This. I just played that for about 90 minutes and I feel like a god damn superhero. I also knocked over my water which spilled on top of my work laptop. But hey, it shouldnt have gotten in the way of the bottle i was picking up to throw at some dude.

charpunk

I have never felt more bad ass in VR than in superHOT, holy shit

Yeah it's pretty awesome picking up a knife, throwing it at a dude who falls back throwing his gun in the air, catching the gun in mid air, then shooting everyone else.

It's like John wick the god damn video game.

Wallach

Spent a few hours in the Rift now messing about with various Touch stuff.

The controllers themselves are really just fantastic. The grip button is much more natural than on the Vive controllers, I feel like you could hold that button down without issue for ages and have the "gripping" motion make a lot more sense. The tracking on them seems great too, though I only have the two front-facing sensor set up as I have a third sensor on order and just set the second sensor up where it is going to stay.

Some quick impressions of the software I've tried that's just released tonight:

SUPERHOT VR - If there is a "must-buy" that I've tried tonight that didn't come with the Touch, it's this. It's not all that long for the first time through all the stages (I want to say it took me somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours), it is really just incredibly satisfying. You can slice bullets in half with a knife in slo-mo. I will probably play through this a bunch of times finding different ways to get through each scenes. Let's hope they do some post-release content for this. Just buy it.

Arizona Sunshine - This seems pretty cool so far; it's kind of like being stuck in the Walking Dead by yourself, if the Walking Dead was set in Arizona I guess. You get to do some scavenging for weapons and ammo as you make your way through the campaign; it's definitely not open world or anything but it's nice to not just be shuttled between scenes automatically. Popping zombie heads feels pretty good. Be careful of stairs.

Quill - I don't think I have the kind of talent to make use of this, but just browsing other peoples' creations is fucking amazing. As far as non-gaming applications go this is the craziest one I've seen. I'll probably jump into this just to look at what all people manage to create. Definitely load this up and look at the pre-installed stuff that shipped with it, because some of them are just insane.

Edit:

The Climb - I was pretty doubtful about how this game would work with Touch, but it's actually great. You kind of pull yourself along; it's not realistic but it is surprisingly natural. If you were waiting before to pick this game up because of the gamepad controls, definitely get it now. The new "North" climb they added is fucking great, I almost fell on my ass just doing the Easy route. This has been one of my favorite VR games since March, and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon. More content in this one than most VR games available today as well. Worth the price.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Everyone is sleeping on Kingspray. Had the most surreal experience tonight; spraying by myself, jamming to some tunes on a boom box, when a dude from Minnesota shows up and we proceed to hang out, talk, and finish our art. He pulled off a legit Bart Simpson, and blew my mind by "turning up the music" when he just went over, picked up the boombox, and moved it closer to be between us. Legitimately I felt like I was in that space, learning to tag, while getting to know someone.

Also, Dead and Buried MP is surprisingly fun.

Enk

makes good threads.
I haven't been able to try any hand tracking controllers in VR until I got my Touch controllers today. Wow, that surreal first moment when you hold out your "hands" in front of you for the first time and naturally moving them around in front of you in your virtual space. Nearly tops the first time I put on the DK1 for the Tuscany demo. It really does go a long way in helping put you in that sense of space witthin the game.

Tried out First Contact, Space Pirate Trainer, Rec Room, and Recoil. First Contact was a great little intro tutorial which I'll probably use when introducing people to Touch. Space Pirate Trainer was loads of fun, but I really need to get more people on my friends' list to compare on the scoreboards. Rec Room was sadly a little too janky for me to get into, plus there weren't that many people in it at the time. I'll give it another shot down the road.

I loved the living hell out of Ripcoil! It hits that sweet, sweet Tron/Windjammers sweet spot for me. At first I was a tad disoriented by how the movement worked but after a couple of minutes I was naturally gliding side to side snatching discs and ricocheting them against the walls. I thankfully got to play against somebody online and while we couldn't speak with each other we both really got into communicating with one another through hand gestures and body language. Even though my opponent thoroughly crushed me game after game, I had a great time. The game could use a tad bit more polish as sometimes my grabs didn't connect when I felt they should've and I could never get the hang of punching the discs at all (not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong there), but it was working well enough that it didn't bring the experience down at all. Can't wait to get back into it again tomorrow!

MaulerX

Mine came today. But as always I was at work and unable to sign for the package so now the UPS dance begins.

I got lucky. I got stuck doing the overnight shift last night and tonight so naturally I had to sleep during the day. My dog is a pretty good watch dog (Dachshund) and I woke up when she started barking like crazy. I get up and of course the UPS guy was about to go back to his truck. I called him back and signed for it. Now I have to wait till the morning to go home and try it. lol

Wallach

I have never played anything more impressive in VR than SUPERHOT. It blew me the fuck away. Unbelievable.

seriously

this is one of those times I hate that VR is in such an early stage because all I want to talk about right now is how good this game is and so few people have the opportunity to play it

the fucking last scene is the most power fantasy thing I have ever experienced in a video game

JambiBum

Is there anywhere besides the oculus store to buy a third sensor from? I've tried searching and can't find it anywhere. I get my controllers tomorrow but I'm not sure if I'll need a third sensor with my setup so I didn't order one yet.

Wallach

Is there anywhere besides the oculus store to buy a third sensor from? I've tried searching and can't find it anywhere. I get my controllers tomorrow but I'm not sure if I'll need a third sensor with my setup so I didn't order one yet.

Not to my knowledge. It's not up on Amazon yet, and I can't imagine it will appear anywhere else except the Oculus store before that happens.

bounchfx

seriously

this is one of those times I hate that VR is in such an early stage because all I want to talk about right now is how good this game is and so few people have the opportunity to play it

the fucking last scene is the most power fantasy thing I have ever experienced in a video game

god fuckin dammit you guys sold me on it. I LOVE superhot but was reluctant since the price

Reallink

This is quite the nightmare trying to get a decent tracking volume, never mind some semblance of quasi-360-roomscale. Already bought 3 extension cables which may or may not work and will also have to get 2 stools/tripods/something to put the cameras on (which is an eyesore and hassle). The recommended front facing desktop set up is garbage with the shit FOV cone of the cameras and the short ass rift cable, guardian bounds are almost omnipresent.

Vanmunt

Banned
This is quite the nightmare trying to get a decent tracking volume, never mind some semblance of quasi-360-roomscale. Already bought 3 extension cables which may or may not work and will also have to get 2 stools/tripods/something to put the cameras on (which is an eyesore and hassle). The recommended front facing desktop set up is garbage with the shit FOV cone of the cameras and the short ass rift cable, guardian bounds are almost omnipresent.

Thought the same on the first night, I spent a bit more time last night setting up the play area. I also bought an extender cable but after turning the two front facing cameras away from each other and mapping out the guardian boundary better I have a much bigger play area.

Not going to bother with extending one of the front facing ones now and I am just going to get the third camera to place behind.

Wallach

Just tacking on one more (slightly inebriated) impression before I go to bed:

Zombie Riot VR - I'm not sure how far I got in an hour of playing the campaign; I'd say it is fairly polished aesthetically but a little bit buggier than the other games I dipped into tonight. I had to restart the third "scene" (the sunset one in the suburbs) because it just didn't end with no more zombies spawning, and a couple times on the first "defend the food" stage because the food just died in a single hit for some reason. It's pretty standard wave-shootery type zombie blasting but with solid graphics. I think I played the campaign for about an hour and didn't finish it. I think I'd put this in the "second wave" of stuff to buy with the Touch launch maybe after stuff like The Climb and SUPERHOT VR once you are looking for more games to play.

WGMBY

I woke up early to go pick up my Touch from the UPS store, and then I found out the place doesn't open until noon. Crap.

Enordash

I have to reiterate what many have already said: Superhot is amazing and you really must buy it. It's short but is well suited to multiple rounds.

Since you've now bought Superhot, definitely give Ripcoil a shot. I had a few matches where people were willing to talk and have a good time. It's simple but incredibly fun. On a side note, I wish Raw Data could achieve the same visual clarity that Ripcoil does.

Toy Box didn't seem to offer anything worth while (except flipping open the lighter, lol)

Dead & Buried also looks really crisp and clear. My current setup isn't great for ducking and hiding behind cover though. I could see the game being good fun with a friend. I'll definitely try the horde mode soon if I can find a partner.

Medium makes me wish I were a bit more creative. It seems rather robust and polished. If I spend enough time with it, I may be forced to buy a 3D printer in the future.

Seriously though, get Superhot.

Delt31

I ordered the touch too. Don't even have a rift but the feedback is so incredible. Have a vive and enjoy it too. Def not keeping both. Might buy rift used and then sell what I don't want.

Hoping giantbomb does a VR special with the touch. I love ther rodeo videos of VR games.

EDIT:

wait - i just checked a quck video of ripcoil as I never heard of it. Is this basically a VR version of WINDJAMMERS? If so, I might have to jump on the oculus train asap. Although maybe it works with revive? .....checked and it does but how much do I lose by not having the touch controllers is the question.

Two things i really need to figure out is HOW MUCH better are the controllers vs vive and how much more comfortable is the rift headset. I might have to just try it out at BB. Vive own for some time.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I ordered the touch too. Don't even have a rift but the feedback is so incredible. Have a vive and enjoy it too. Def not keeping both. Might buy rift used and then sell what I don't want. .

Why would you buy controllers for a headset you don't own?

Got Superhot, looking forward to playing it tonight. Touch controllers are very impressive in general so far.

I do not, however, like how picky it was with the sensor placement. As a result of how close the sensors need to be, my play space is significantly smaller than it otherwise would be. Going to tinker more tonight to see if I can make it larger.

Top Bottom