• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

stuminus3 said:
:lol :lol :lol

If anything good has come out of this train wreck, it's that you reminded me of one of my favorite Simpsons quotes ever. Thank you!

No, I mean there's Nvidia users reporting performance issues in SW, I haven't seen anyone mention Nvidia in regards to Munch crashing.

Ah, ya I know SW is messed up. I was just trying to find out about people having the Munch's Odyssey crash that early since you two both have ATI and have that problem. Thanks.

stuminus3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, ya I know SW is messed up. I was just trying to find out about people having the Munch's Odyssey crash that early since you two both have ATI and have that problem. Thanks.
I'm currently downloading it to my office laptop just for shits 'n' giggles, I don't expect much, it's rocking an integrated Intel GMA X4500 series GPU... it would however be kind of hilarious if Munch was playable and crash free on this thing when it won't work on my gaming desktop at home.

Phloxy

So the game works fine on my rig. HOWEVER, my rig is far above normal.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
Evga 480 in SLI
12 gigs of ddr3 ram

Get 60 on average but it dips down whenever there is a text overlay on screen. Still, with my rig, I should be getting 200 fps, not 60. So, damn shame on the port.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
GoldenHelmet said:
As a CONSOLE gamer myself, I'm used to games running at 1280x720 with an FPS of 20 to 40fps (GTA4, Assasins etc) and I am fine with that, I do NOT (personally) need to see the game running at 60+ fps to be made happy, the GAME is everything do me.

Where the problem lies is *I* didn't actually think PC gamers were ninjas at wanting the highest FPS NO MATTER WHAT!
...For real?

Somebody put you in charge of a PC port? Without you knowing anything about the PC market or the bare minimum standards of what a PC gaming product entails?

As a predominantly CONSOLE gamer myself, I just have to say "WTF?!"

Phloxy said:
So the game works fine on my rig. HOWEVER, my rig is far above normal.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
Evga 480 in SLI
12 gigs of ddr3 ram

Get 60 on average but it dips down whenever there is a text overlay on screen. Still, with my rig, I should be getting 200 fps, not 60. So, damn shame on the port.

Are you talking SW or Munch's Odyssey?

stuminus3

Banned
From the Steam forums...

A user talking about Munch said:
Also, did the previous developers of Munch make it possible for you guys to consider implementing resolution options?
Stewart Gilray said:
The previous developers... Actually I'm not going to go there as it's not professional...
:lol :lol :lol

Mind boggling.

Teknoman

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Yup, Munch's Odyssey just crashed in the first room with my ATI card. It's definitely an issue with ATI cards.

Think it might have something to do with Catalyst AI being enabled? Stranger runs fine for me, aside from the sub 30 framerate, having to mess with the ini for a custom res, and having strange dots making up the water.

But Munch on the other hand performs the way i'd expect Stranger to run...except I cant get out the first room without crashing :lol

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB ram

EDIT: My stance on the matter is i'm fully confident that Munch and Stranger will get patched up performance, resolution, and gamepad wise...and that we'll get the redone graphics for Stranger as well. Its just I dont want to wait too long for the patches to do so (aside from the graphics upgrade). Of course theres still the matter that the games shouldnt have been rushed out as people would've still bought them for normal price if they performed as they should have.

As far as mouse controls go...well options are nice, but i'd think you would want to play all 4 games with a gamepad.

And besides, if it was an emu, you'd still be able to choose resolutions and AA...at least thats what I thought from looking at other last gen system emulators.

John said:
oh man, what a terrible day to be banned :lol

Huh?

Teknoman said:
Think it might have something to do with Catalyst AI being enabled? Stranger runs fine for me, aside from the sub 30 framerate, having to mess with the ini for a custom res, and having strange dots making up the water.

But Munch on the other hand performs the way i'd expect Stranger to run...except I cant get out the first room without crashing :lol

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB ram

No clue, the card I tested it on was a x1650 which I think they no longer have driver support for. Do you know when Catalyst AI was added?

Just tried it on my laptop with different ATI card and it skill crashes in the first room after disabling Catalyst AI so it can't be that.

dream

Johnlenham said:
How do I put in for a refund? heres hoping if enough do it they will pay out? Was looking forward to this aswell :/

You can't.

Hopefully Valve will make a one time exception for refunds since Oddboxx is so universally unplayable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
dream said:
You can't.

Hopefully Valve will make a one time exception for refunds since Oddboxx is so universally unplayable.

They did it for Grand Theft Auto IV back when it was unplayable on the PC.

JADS said:
Yeah, it seems to be a bug with Catalyst AI. I have created a custom profile through RadeonPro and got passed the first room. What's funny is that besides the controller problems and the game not supporting custom resolutions, it seems to be a far more competent port than Stranger is. 60 FPS, 8x SSAA :lol

Can you explain this more? I disabled catalyst AI under my settings and it still crashed in the first room for me.

boutrosinit said:
Turn off the Catalyst AI option.
This is what you're talking about right? Because it still crashes for me in the first room with that disabled.

wgrojm.png

Tendo

Shard said:
They did it for Grand Theft Auto IV back when it was unplayable on the PC.
I was refused a refund with no explanation when that launched so I don't know :( I'm hoping. I already put in one on their contact support form.

open tickets on steam asking for refunds, Ive did it before, they aren't guaranteed but if you present a decent argument, I've never had an issue.

Im sure they are getting more than a few over this release anyways. :lol

JADS

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Can you explain this more? I disabled catalyst AI under my settings and it still crashed in the first room for me.

Sorry, I spoke too soon. It didn't crash for me in the first room but it did a room or two later. Shit port, going to play around with compatibility mode or bust out WINE+ Linux.

How did someone at their studio not stand up and say "This just isn't close to something we can release."? Maybe they did and got shot down by this CEO, who frankly is an embarrassment to his company.

He's lost any future sales from me, that's for sure.

Releasing a game in this state is one thing. It sucks for us and I'm sure it will hurt their sales. It would make me hesitate before buying anything with their name on it in the future until I hear community reviews.

His handling of the situation is what will keep me from purchasing anything from them, ever. Hopefully this will stop publishers from using them on future {EDIT: PC projects, where they clearly don't belong} projects.

Teknoman

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is his email just the infoATjawltd.com or something like that? Because I've been emailing that with my troubleshooting results thus far. Do you work for JAW?

Thats what I sent my report to. I think he does work for JAW since he was talking about the soundtrack upload to the site, and picking out the best tracks for the sampler.

scitek

gregor7777 said:
How did someone at their studio not stand up and say "This just isn't close to something we can release."? Maybe they did and got shot down by this CEO, who frankly is an embarrassment to his company.

He's lost any future sales from me, that's for sure.

Releasing a game in this state is one thing. It sucks for us and I'm sure it will hurt their sales. It would make me hesitate before buying anything with their name on it in the future until I hear community reviews.

His handling of the situation is what will keep me from purchasing anything from them, ever. Hopefully this will stop publishers from using them on future {EDIT: PC projects, where they clearly don't belong} projects.

Their CEO has a warped sense of humor and I suspect he was posting things in half-jest to deal with the stress he was under. Still, it came across as prickish and that's nothing but bad in the end. I hope this sets some kind of precedent for developers in similar situations that are doing these "HD" remakes. If you're not upgrading the textures and models like JAW is doing with the future version of Stranger, then at least aim for 1080p60 as a minimum, especially on the PC.

Teknoman

What would be the possible causes of poor performance in Stranger anyway?

Also screenshots I took in "medium" resolution:

qnr2h5.jpg

so4is3.jpg

2qb9lqr.jpg
<---Water problem

Du2andal

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Yup, Munch's Odyssey just crashed in the first room with my ATI card. It's definitely an issue with ATI cards.

My card is a GeForce GT 335m and it crashes in the very first room as well.

Prime crotch said:
It crashes regardesly of the card.

How do you know? What card do you have?

Du2andal said:
My card is a GeForce GT 335m and it crashes in the very first room as well.

Hmm, first one I've heard of it happening on Nvidia. I'll try with my macbook tonight that has a Nvidia chip also to see if that crashes for me. It crashes to desktop and says Munch.exe has stopped responding for you?

stuminus3

Banned
Monroeski said:
Do we have any confirmation that the guy claiming to be the CEO is actually the CEO?
The same guy posts on the Steam forums (with the same bullshit posts) and has the usual "green" name. Being "CEO" of a small shop like this doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot though. It's like me proclaiming myself to be Master and Lord of my kitchen.

Teknoman

scitek said:
Their CEO has a warped sense of humor and I suspect he was posting things in half-jest to deal with the stress he was under. Still, it came across as prickish and that's nothing but bad in the end. I hope this sets some kind of precedent for developers in similar situations that are doing these "HD" remakes. If you're not upgrading the textures and models like JAW is doing with the future version of Stranger, then at least aim for 1080p60 as a minimum, especially on the PC.

Honestly, it didnt seem like he was mocking people so im siding with the sense of humor as well.

Firehead

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you know? What card do you have?

Hmm, first one I've heard of it happening on Nvidia. I'll try with my macbook tonight that has a Nvidia chip also to see if that crashes for me. It crashes to desktop and says Munch.exe has stopped responding for you?
GTX 460; Crashes in the first room.

samoset

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No I Can't get out of the first room either and I have a Nvidia card.

samoset

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 635 23 °C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

I opened a ticket on Steam for a refund, with the following explanation:

Dear Sir/Madam,

My Steam ID is (SteamID).

I have purchased Oddworld Stranger's Wrath on the first day of Steam sales. And I have to let you know that this software is, by far, the worst effort ever made to port a five year old game designed for ten year old hardware to a modern PC.

The game runs at a sub 30fps framerate at any HD resolution (droppign to an unplayable sub-20fps at 1080p) on a tri-core CPU and a high end DX10 video card, with out of the box broken video rendering (glaring rendering issues with most shaders including things like water) and broken gamepad support (which would have been fine if the game actually had mouse support, alas, it does not..).

To be fair, I realize that Steam is not responsible for the quality of the games released on their distribution channel (at least not directly) but as a customer of Valve and Steam first and foremost, I would like Steam to hold developers and publishers responsible for releasing such a glaringly bugged, unplayable mess of a game with absolutely no playtesting whatsoever, on the first day of a Steam Christmas sale, with full knowledge of its (deliberately hidden) shortcomings, to milk the Steam Community before word got out on just how bad this game is. Yes, I would like to be refunded for this game, and this is the first time I have ever asked to return a game for a refund in my whole life.

I have bought and played poorly optimized or ported games in the past. I actually persevered through the buggy mess that is Vampire Bloodlines.. and I must say Stranger's Wrath is the first and only game I have purchased on Steam or on any platform for that matter, that I would gladly have removed from my Library even without a refund.

Please take this piece of crap off of my library.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Regards,
(Name)

I'll let you know as soon as I get a resolution, one way or another.

Teknoman

Well to be fair, the gamepad support for Stranger isnt broken. At least for 360 wired pads.

But when writing a note for a refund, you probably shouldn't use piece of crap or that you would take it out of your library without a refund :lol

epmode

tahrikmili said:
I opened a ticket on Steam for a refund, with the following explanation:

I'll let you know as soon as I get a resolution, one way or another.
My message wasn't as diplomatic. Still waiting for a response.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is his email just the infoATjawltd.com or something like that? Because I've been emailing that with my troubleshooting results thus far. Do you work for JAW?

It is. With the 'at' replaced by '@' of course.

I've been helping Oddworld / JAW on various bits here and there. Helped promote the game with press releases and setting up all the community gifts, soundtrack promo and so forth.

Definitely did not expect this to happen. I've been friends with Stewart and Lorne for a very long time. They're not swindlers - far from it.

Everyone on the team is shocked and working very hard to rectify these issues. Stew will probably post an update on the Oddworld site or Steam forums regarding getting a patch out VERY soon, so check it later.

epmode

boutrosinit said:
Everyone on the team is shocked
I don't understand. How can anyone responsible for this port be surprised by our reaction? The only thing that makes sense is that they've never played a PC game before.

stuminus3

Banned
Hey Zaraki_Kenpachi, thought you might be interested to know... I loaded up Munch on my laptop with the integrated Intel GMA X4500 GPU, and sure enough, the game craps out just the same as it does on my gaming desktop at home.

That's a pretty wide spectrum of hardware that this junk doesn't work on!

Top Bottom