• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

image-68.jpg

Went out to Deep Ellum to have lunch at Pecan Lodge with friends. After a hour and 45 minute wait, we FINALLY got to eat ! The line went out the front door, and it NEVER got smaller. I have heard on more that one occasion from several sources that this place has the best BBQ in the state of Texas. They recently moved to this location from their old booth at the Farmers Markets in downtown Dallas, and it seems that they have already out grown it! I got the Pitmaster Sandwich. It was very good and filled me up the entire day! Didn't eat anything else until breakfast the following day. My friends and I didn't mind waiting in the insane line on our first visit just for the novelty and because PBS was out their filming for a show, but if I find myself back out there, I will only stand in line for 10 minutes max.

oh... my... goodness

Have we picked a spot?

The farthest I've seen DFW-GAF progress in terms of setting up a meet up is, "hey guys we need to do a meet up."

:(

I think the location would depend on how many people want to go. I've organized stuff in Deep Ellum before that eliminated certain bars because we filled them to capacity.

Tex117

Banned
image-70.jpg

image-71.jpg

image-69.jpg

image-66.jpg

image-67.jpg

image-68.jpg

Went out to Deep Ellum to have lunch at Pecan Lodge with friends. After a hour and 45 minute wait, we FINALLY got to eat ! The line went out the front door, and it NEVER got smaller. I have heard on more that one occasion from several sources that this place has the best BBQ in the state of Texas. They recently moved to this location from their old booth at the Farmers Markets in downtown Dallas, and it seems that they have already out grown it! I got the Pitmaster Sandwich. It was very good and filled me up the entire day! Didn't eat anything else until breakfast the following day. My friends and I didn't mind waiting in the insane line on our first visit just for the novelty and because PBS was out their filming for a show, but if I find myself back out there, I will only stand in line for 10 minutes max.
Do you know what the PBS show they were filming?

I went opening weekend for dinner and the wait was an hour and a half...but you can't look at it that way. There was live music, Texas sunset, drinking shiner....I can do that for an hour and a half before dinner.

Wait a second, someone in DFW actually calls Globe Life Park by its proper name? How's working at Globe Life Insurance? :)

Bahahaha, I don't necessarily work for Globe Life Insurance but there are a bunch of logos plastered around my workplace claiming to be a building of Globe Life... :p

Speaking of meetups, we should have one at Kung Foo Saloon. Let's see how many of DFW-GAF they kick out for not following the dress code haha.

Bahahaha, I don't necessarily work for Globe Life Insurance but there are a bunch of logos plastered around my workplace claiming to be a building of Globe Life... :p

Speaking of meetups, we should have one at Kung Foo Saloon. Let's see how many of DFW-GAF they kick out for not following the dress code haha.

haha "dress code" is the new slang for racial discrimination

mug

I wasn't aware Kung Fu Saloon had a dress code. The place is shit anyway...

y2dvd

The farthest I've seen DFW-GAF progress in terms of setting up a meet up is, "hey guys we need to do a meet up."

:(

I think the location would depend on how many people want to go. I've organized stuff in Deep Ellum before that eliminated certain bars because we filled them to capacity.

I'm usually in the Deep Ellum area on weekends so I'd be down for this. I don't know if it's considered centralized though. Trying to think of a decent bar with easy parking.

NR1

Do you know what the PBS show they were filming?

I went opening weekend for dinner and the wait was an hour and a half...but you can't look at it that way. There was live music, Texas sunset, drinking shiner....I can do that for an hour and a half before dinner.

image-73.jpg

Don't know, but it was the PBS station based out of Austin.

NR1

I'm usually in the Deep Ellum area on weekends so I'd be down for this. I don't know if it's considered centralized though. Trying to think of a decent bar with easy parking.

Why don't we try and meet at Dave & Busters on 75 Centeral/ Walnut Hill on a Friday night or during the weekend? They got the new Mario Kart GP DX that we can have a fun tournament on...???

MogCakes

Yep lol. Barcadia's better imo, I've been to the one in FW and it's a lot of fun plus Tues and Wed they've got $4 buck pints!

I don't go bike riding but I do walk the trails from time to time with my friends. Don't know any bike trails besides the ones mentioned, sorry.

Barcadia's a good place to drink, pretty loud but that's what the outside benches are for. Have had some good times playing with the huge Jenga blocks. At least one or two of their arcade machines are broken down at all times.

Woah, there's actually a DFW GAF thread now? Subscribed!

'sup y'all! UTA over here haha.

Also go to UTA here. Kind of odd knowing another GAFfer is that close. Thought all of you would be in Plano. The traffic on Saturday was terrible. Dunno if it was just people going out because it was sunny or what. The congestion is getting insufferable.

Barcadia's a good place to drink, pretty loud but that's what the outside benches are for. Have had some good times playing with the huge Jenga blocks. At least one or two of their arcade machines are broken down at all times.

Also go to UTA here. Kind of odd knowing another GAFfer is that close. Thought all of you would be in Plano. The traffic on Saturday was terrible. Dunno if it was just people going out because it was sunny or what. The congestion is getting insufferable.

Yeah, that's the only thing that sucks about Barcadia. Last time I was there Spy Hunter was broke, I was disappointed but I ended up kicking all of my friends ass in SF2 so it was fine.

And yeah, it's odd to see UTA-GAF lol. I know for sure there are a lot more of us out there, since I see a bunch of people browse GAF at the UC or the library but I'm not creepy enough to approach them and talk about GAF haha.

This past Saturday was a mess thanks to the opening of both Six Flags for the summer, the Rangers game and the George Strait concert at the Death Star.

MogCakes

This past Saturday was a mess thanks to the opening of both Six Flags for the summer, the Rangers game and the George Strait concert at the Death Star.

Ohh so that's what it was. Couldn't put my finger on it. Haha it'd be kind of awkward to be approached just because of GAF. I think most people just lurk around E3 time.

Kind of surprising how often the machines break at Barcadia, you'd think arcade cabinets were more durable.

If DFW-GAF sets up a meet I'm down for it. Would probably have to be a weekend. I assume there's still no consensus on where or when.

Haha it'd be kind of awkward to be approached just because of GAF. I think most people just lurk around E3 time.

Kind of surprising how often the machines break at Barcadia, you'd think arcade cabinets were more durable.

Lol that was in the middle of April. I don't think anything happened around that time besides the NPD for Titanfall.

The cabinets themselves are durable, it's the electronics that fail to work especially since they're practically ancient. Used to be you could just head down to your local Radioshack and pick up a couple of fuses or whatever, plug it in and it'll work. With the death of it's hobby electronics in RS, they've gotta order parts now.

Anyway, I'll go anywhere for a DFW meetup! Let's just avoid 635 if possible though, that place is like a living nightmare right now.

NR1

I'd be down for that

If DFW-GAF sets up a meet I'm down for it. Would probably have to be a weekend. I assume there's still no consensus on where or when.

+1 for D&B. Been waiting on a DFW Meet-up for a very long time :)

I'll do Dave & Busters. They better have Daytona! But my attendance is guaranteed, since my summer job doesn't give me much room to bargain for a day off.

Anyway, I'll go anywhere for a DFW meetup! Let's just avoid 635 if possible though, that place is like a living nightmare right now.

Cool! Looks like we have some interest and a bit of consensus for a meet-up! Do we want to try later this month on a weekend?

Where: D&B in Dallas
When: June 21 or 22 (Sat/Sun) or June 28 or 29 (Sat/Sun)

BTW, for any AVGN or Cinemassacre fans out there, James Rolfe and Mike Matei will be at ScrewAttack Gaming Convention (SGC) in downtown Dallas July 11-13. The crew of Mega64 will also be there. I already got my ticket!

Also, James just posted on Facebook that tickets are now on sale for the AVGN: The Movie! It will be playing on August 7 at 7pm at the Magnolia Theater in Dallas.

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/06/11/avgn-movie-screenings-on-sale-now/

I just got my ticket, but bewared, it looks like its going to sell out fast....

NR1

Oh, is anyone going to be at the Best Buy in Farmers Branch this Saturday for the Smash-Fest?? I will be there with a friend ready to beat the crap out of everyone!

Event is Noon-5pm

****EDIT****

Just got back from Best Buy in Farmers Branch at 635 and Midway. Got to play two 2 minute rounds with 4-players. Lost the first match as the Male Wii Fit Trainer on the Pilot Wings Resort Stage, but won the 2nd match with Link on the New Super Mario Bros U stage. Everyone was playing with the Pro controller. They also had a Wii set up in the back of the line with Wavebirds that has Project M installed. Two or three guys were walking around the line with two 3DS attached to their belt that had Smash Bros on them.

Sundays are gonna be a little rough. Not that I've got a lot of things going on at night, rather I've got an 8AM class at UTA. The only reason I'm up right now is coz I've got an exam that I need to study for that class lol.

Cool! Looks like we have some interest and a bit of consensus for a meet-up! Do we want to try later this month on a weekend?

Where: D&B in Dallas
When: June 21 or 22 (Sat/Sun) or June 28 or 29 (Sat/Sun)

BTW, for any AVGN or Cinemassacre fans out there, James Rolfe and Mike Matei will be at ScrewAttack Gaming Convention (SGC) in downtown Dallas July 11-13. The crew of Mega64 will also be there. I already got my ticket!

Also, James just posted on Facebook that tickets are now on sale for the AVGN: The Movie! It will be playing on August 7 at 7pm at the Magnolia Theater in Dallas.

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/06/11/avgn-movie-screenings-on-sale-now/

I just got my ticket, but bewared, it looks like its going to sell out fast....

It'd have to be 06/29 for me, will be out of town otherwise

NR1

Ok, it looks like we are narrowing it down to Sunday, June 29...

Sundays are gonna be a little rough. Not that I've got a lot of things going on at night, rather I've got an 8AM class at UTA. The only reason I'm up right now is coz I've got an exam that I need to study for that class lol.

So, evening is out for Jongkookie, so that means morning or late afternoon. We don't want to keep anyone out super late, since we probably have work and school commitments Monday morning. D&B's hours on Sunday are 11am til 12am.

Pagusas

Elden Member
what does everyone use to keep track of regional events? The wife and I are looking for a website that list things like concerts, fairs, car shows, ect for the dallas area.

NR1

what does everyone use to keep track of regional events? The wife and I are looking for a website that list things like concerts, fairs, car shows, ect for the dallas area.

I use a combination of several things, but the most complete guild I know of and use is the
Guild Live- Dallas Morning News

You can also just visit the websites of some cities or venues and they have a nice calendar of events. Sometimes I will just get lucky and will hear about an event a few days ahead on the radio (typically on Friday morning for weekend events) or something will pop up on Groupon (like the ScrewAttack Show) or on FaceBook (like the AVGN movie showing).

I also try to keep a list of these places and events for future use.

NR1

anyone know of a datey place in dallas that offers lighter food and desserts?

MEDITERRANEAN/ GREEK
Afrah Mediterranean Restaurant

GERMAN
Kuby's Sausage House
Jorg's Cafe Vienna
Bavarian Grill

ITALIAN
Luigi's Italian Cafe
Taverna Pizzeria and Risotteria
Mellow Mushroom Bakers

OTHER
The Alligator Cafe
Inca's Cafe & Lounge

The Brazilian Cowboy Steakhouse is good too, but it can get very pricey. You can typically find a groupon for them or one if the other local Brazilian steakhouses in the area. You choose how much you eat, so it can be light if you choose...

MEDITERRANEAN/ GREEK

GERMAN
Kuby's Sausage House
Jorg's Cafe Vienna
Bavarian Grill

ITALIAN
Luigi's Italian Cafe
Mellow Mushroom Bakers

OTHER
The Alligator Cafe
Inca's Cafe & Lounge

The Brazilian Cowboy Steakhouse is good too, but it can get very pricey. You can typically find a groupon for them or one if the other local Brazilian steakhouses in the area. You choose how much you eat, so it can be light if you choose...

Thank you sir!

I used to live across from Jorg's but never went. A shame.

I was gonna suggest Whiskey Cake though...

MEDITERRANEAN/ GREEK

GERMAN
Kuby's Sausage House
Jorg's Cafe Vienna
Bavarian Grill

ITALIAN
Luigi's Italian Cafe
Mellow Mushroom Bakers

OTHER
The Alligator Cafe
Inca's Cafe & Lounge

Like these places, especially Afrah
Would add Toulouse Cafe on Katy Trail, nice date place, french food, and good people watching

NR1

Thank you sir!

I used to live across from Jorg's but never went. A shame.

I was gonna suggest Whiskey Cake though...

Never heard of Whiskey Cake, but after a quick Google search, I'm glad I know about it now! Looks great, but it's a shame I don't travel that far NorthWest in the Metroplex too often... I will have to find an excuse to go out to the Shops on Legacy soon.

Also, I just thought about Klyde Warren Park in downtown Dallas. They have all sorts of food trucks out there, plus the Cool Haus ice cream truck is there too.

B.O.O.M

Some mighty fine looking pics of food in this thread

I'm most likely moving to Texas in a few months or so..to El Paso. Hope the food there is as good

Never heard of Whiskey Cake, but after a quick Google search, I'm glad I know about it now! Looks great, but it's a shame I don't travel that far NorthWest in the Metroplex too often... I will have to find an excuse to go out to the Shops on Legacy soon.

Also, I just thought about Klyde Warren Park in downtown Dallas. They have all sorts of food trucks out there, plus the Cool Haus ice cream truck is there too.

I really wanted to go to Klyde Warren but this girl is in Denton and doesn't have too much time tomorrow. Perhaps for the next one if we still going :p

NR1

It isn't. Sorry to crush your dreams before they begin.

Now Treechopper, that isn't how you go about crushing someone's dreams... Observe:

Chiloso: Mexican Bistro

image-85.jpg

image-83.jpg

image-82.jpg

They have 3 locations in the metroplex: Rockwall, Wylie, and Richardson (Campbell & 75). The photos above are of the OMG... And you will say "Oh. My. GOD!" When you eat it. They also have amazing breakfast tacos-- 3 for $5. Whenever Rockwall High School wins it's football games, it's Dollar Breakfast Tacos the following day!

They also have an AMAZING spinoff restaurant called Oscar Delta: Texas Kitchen. They have a location in Forney and the Rockwall location will be opening on the city square next week!

****EDIT****

Dear God... Mike Anderson's BBQ House near downtown Dallas on Harry Hines Blvd and Butler Street next to UT Southwestern Medical Center... This place is nuts! I got the Monster BBQ Baked Potato-- Stuffed with butter, sour cream, cheddar, bacon, green onions, and your choice of any boneless meat (I got chopped beef)-- All for $10!

I got to the halfway mark, and then started to feel the effects... I knew I wasn't going to make it. I barely ate a bit more than half, but I doubt I could finish it even if I was starving. The truly crazy part, is that they have even an even BIGGER potato meal with double meat, plus you can also buy side items too!

Highly recommended!

image-86.jpg

image-87.jpg

image-88.jpg

image-89.jpg

image-90.jpg

image-91.jpg

misskayylee

Neo Member
I got redirected here from the Central Texas thread and I'm glad that we have one for the DFW area! :D We need more posts and ... uhm.

Hellllooooooooo~~

BTW, do any of you attend Quakecon? It's coming up in July ^.^

fmpanda

I got redirected here from the Central Texas thread and I'm glad that we have one for the DFW area! :D We need more posts and ... uhm.

Hellllooooooooo~~

I'll be going, but only on Friday for to pick up more Symbiote Studios figures and for Master Pancake. After going as just an attendee for the last couple of years I was going to go for the BYOC, until the cut down the number of seats and then jacked up the price. On top of that, Screwattack Con is the weekend before and I'm really looking forward to that one, especially for the Jontron stuffs.

y2dvd

Where's this D&B yall want to go to at? I got a wedding next weekend to go to so it would be the other date for me.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Hellllooooooooo~~

Quakecon is a tradition for me, wonder what they will have playable.

doodle

Is there a reason why the Ol' South Pancake House was left out of the food section?

I won't say that it is the best restaurant ever, but the food is quite good. It is right off of 30 on University in Fort Worth.

NR1

Is there a reason why the Ol' South Pancake House was left out of the food section?

I won't say that it is the best restaurant ever, but the food is quite good. It is right off of 30 on University in Fort Worth.

Not forgotten! I make a point of eating there and getting their world-famous German pancakes! I was over there just last week! They got great triple chocolate cake too...

image-93.jpg

image-94.jpg

image-95.jpg

image-96.jpg

image-97.jpg

Also, since NeoGAF is a gaming forum, I thought I would share my go to places for video games and movies around the Metroplex!

Game Stop: The big national chain. Nothing more needs to be said here.

Game Trade: They have 2 locations in the DFW area- 1 in Mesquite on Gross Road between the AMC 30 and the Rodeo and the other location just opened on Wylie next to the Kroger. They are a pretty good store with a nice staff and decent selection, but their prices are all over the place. Some games are priced at a steal, while others are overpriced. Some games have completely different prices across different platforms.

1425 Gross Rd, Unit 108
Mesquite, TX 75149-1365

803 Woodbridge Pkwy
Wylie, TX 75098

CGX (Console Game Exchange): They have 3 locations- Collin Creek Mall in Plano, Stonebriar Centre Mall in Frisco, and I am told there is also a location somewhere in Irving... They are fairly expensive, but they tend to have a nice collection of older games.

2601 Preston Rd #2114
Frisco, TX 75034

811 N Central Expy
Plano, TX 75075

FX Game Exchange: I just found out about this place along Custer Road in Plano next to Madness Comics. I like this place. Fair prices, good selection, and friendly staff. I don't trade in my games, but they have a whiteboard at the counter that shows the trade-in value for some their most wanted games and they seem very generous and fair, unlike GameStop.

3000 Custer Rd, Unit 170
Plano, TX 75075-4422

Game XChange: This place is a bit out of the way in Waxahachie along Highway 77. I found this place just the other day on accident, but I really like it! Very large selection and great prices too! They also have a lot of the rare and uncommon games too! This would be a great place to visit if you are heading South for the weekend to Waco, Austin, or San Antonio or perhaps to the Scarborough Renaissance Festival. I also discovered recently that they have a location in Denton too.

507 Ferris Ave
Waxahachie, TX 75165-3343

610 W University Dr
Denton, TX 76201

Game Over VideoGames- These are really cool guys in Arlington along Cooper Street near the Parks Mall. If you follow them on FaceBook, they will post their newest trades and even tell you how much and hold it for you for 24 hours if you ask. They can be a bit pricey, and their GameCube and Dreamcast selections are horrible, but you can find some really good stuff there on NES, SNES, N64, Geneses, GameBoy, PS2, Xbox, and a few other retro platforms. They also have a gaming museum with some arcade cabinets in the back that you can play.

4648 S Cooper St #240
Arlington, TX 76017

Movie Trading Company: A larger chain that is mainly in the Midwest United States that has 14 locations in the DFW area. Most of their locations have a large selection of games, but I have noticed that Dreamcast is always under represented here. Since they are a very large chain, they tend to have higher prices. They feel like a bigger and better GameStop.

EntertainMart: They have 2 locations- Arlington by the Parks Mall along Cooper Street and Addison near the Valley View Center Mall along Preston Road. I've had great success at the Addison location a several occasions. I got a copy of Pokemon Y 3-months after it was released for $8 because it had no case or manual. They have a very large selection of games and movies.

5959 Alpha Rd
Dallas, TX 75240

3415 S Cooper St
Arlington, TX 76017

Half Price Books: They have 19 locations around the metroplex and are based here in Dallas. Their flagship store is just outside of downtown along 75 by the North Park Mall. They tend to have some pretty good deals on some rare stuff if you get lucky. I actually got a copy of Jurassic Park: Operation Geneses on PS2 for $10 a few months ago, which typically goes for $40 or $50 an the Xbox version goes for $80 or $100. I also got a copy of GTA5 on PS3 for $30! I know the Lewisville location currently has a copy of Earthbound on SNES for $200... Yea, not so much a deal there.

NR1 stop posting food pictures! I'm trying to lose weight over here and you make everything look good.

I'll try to go to SGC this year, though. I was there last year with one of the employees and it was pretty fun.

MogCakes

Lol that was in the middle of April. I don't think anything happened around that time besides the NPD for Titanfall.

Seems there are a lot of GAF lurkers around, heh.

Yeah 635 is crap. I doubt construction will be done anytime soon.

So we're up for the 29th then? I hope I don't go to the wrong D&B.

Top Bottom