• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Madness 2017 |OT| The Committee Doesn't Know What They're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

Tickets booked for SLC, hoping credentials confirmation will come in tomorrow morning...Holy shit! This is happening!

Lurking here like I did most of the season thread. Quietly hoping my Bruins can 3pt shoot our way to a title with our 7 guard squad strategy.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I went full homer and put Michigan in the Final Four. I don't have us in the championship game though. I'm not crazy or anything.

Proelite

Oh god I just realized who ever wins the tourney has to visit the Trump house.

barf-gif

Kentuckian here who has kind of been on a hiatus since 38-1 happened. I kind of just fell out of love with it all with being sick of the "one and done's" and missing being able to get attached to players for numerous seasons. It seemed that everytime I started to remember who was on our team the next season would hit with a mostly new roster to learn. I guess that's more of a criticism of the NCAA as a whole right now though.

However, I guess because it's tournament time I'm starting to feel that itch again. I'll always bleed blue deep down so let's go CATS!

Kentuckian here who has kind of been on a hiatus since 38-1 happened. I kind of just fell out of love with it all with being sick of the "one and done's" and missing being able to get attached to players for numerous seasons. It seemed that everytime I started to remember who was on our team the next season would hit with a mostly new roster to learn. I guess that's more of a criticism of the NCAA as a whole right now though.

However, I guess because it's tournament time I'm starting to feel that itch again. I'll always bleed blue deep down so let's go CATS!

No it's your program and Calipari.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I know it would be hard for me to root for a new team of mercs every year.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Much better draw for WVU last year. Stephen F. Austin was a terrible match up for us last year as a 3 seed and pulled the upset. Should be able to get buy Bucknell with minimal fuss.

2nd round will be tough though as Notre Dame almost always had our number when we were in the Big East and Princeton is a touch match up for anyone with their odd style. Gonzaga is a beatable one seed though, but I still put us going out to them in the Sweet 16. Hopefully not as bad as a couple years back where they beat us by 30 something in the tourney and then we played again in the next season opener and lot by around 30 again.

Love NCAA ball, but never kept up with any particular team.

This year will be the first I'll pick one and run with them. Gonna go with Gonzaga since they're the closest geographically for me :)

Fourth seed is pretty sweet!

EDIT: So, what's the deal with the First Four matchups? Do Kansas St and Wake Forest play for 11th seed, even though there's several seeds below 11?

ryseing

EDIT: So, what's the deal with the First Four matchups? Do Kansas St and Wake Forest play for 11th seed, even though there's several seeds below 11?

Those are the last four at-large bids. Teams seeded below are automatic qualifiers from smaller conferences.

Congrats Northwestern... but as a Vandy student, I hope your stay is short-lived.
Oh shit, there's another Vandy Gaffer? Class of 2005 here! I was there before the whole Anchor Down thing started, but just when they started doing the VU with the thumb and two fingers. Mehhhh...

Those are the last four at-large bids. Teams seeded below are automatic qualifiers from smaller conferences.

Ooohhhh okay, so in order to get representation from every conference, the South and East assign some low seeds?

Also, how come Florida St. is in the West division? Was East too busy?

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate the help :]

ryseing

Ooohhhh okay, so in order to get representation from every conference, the South and East assign some low seeds?

Also, how come Florida St. is in the West division? Was East too busy?

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate the help :]

No worries.

There are 32 automatic bids to the Big Dance, awarded to the winner of each conference's tournament. The other 36 spots are "at-large" which basically means best teams get a spot. Those "first four" are the last four of those at large spots. Teams below the 11 line are those automatic bids from smaller conferences.

West, East, etc. refer to where the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 will be played. FSU is actually playing in Orlando for rounds 1 and 2 even though they are in the West bracket.

Falchion

Let's go Duke. Hopefully we show up well rested and don't rely on 2nd half comebacks to make it to the Sweet 16. Also love getting the Friday night slot so I don't have to watch on my phone at work.

No worries.

There are 32 automatic bids to the Big Dance, awarded to the winner of each conference's tournament. The other 36 spots are "at-large" which basically means best teams get a spot. Those "first four" are the last four of those at large spots. Teams below the 11 line are those automatic bids from smaller conferences.

West, East, etc. refer to where the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 will be played. FSU is actually playing in Orlando for rounds 1 and 2 even though they are in the West bracket.

Okay, looking over a printout of the bracket and reading your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Sticking with team zags, but hoping Butler makes it far, too :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Iowa State the dark horse this year. A chance to play Kansas in Kansas City (or Hilton South)? We'll take it.

God I hope we beat Nevada...

jfkgoblue

Uk fans (or anyone) check out this vid from espn

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/this-video-will-get-you-excited-about-the-tournament/

Edit: AP exit poll
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll/2017/19

1. Villanova, 31-3 (59)
2. Gonzaga, 32-1 (6)
3. Kansas, 28-4
4. Arizona, 30-4
5. Kentucky, 29-5
6. North Carolina, 27-7
7. Duke, 27-8
8. UCLA, 29-4
9. Oregon, 29-5
10. Louisville, 24-8

Michigan sneaks into final ranking after 0 times being ranked all season

nillapuddin

For UK to win we will have to (likely) beat

UCLA, UNC, Kansas, Duke.

in a row, no big deal.

Just 4/5 most successful programs of all time, in a row.

CBS is praying to every god that will listen that Kentucky goes on a run ala 2014, those juicy ratings my god.

NCAA needs UK to be good for ratings, but they also give us gauntlet style tourney runs.

(Ideal F4 for tv, duke vs ucla, uk vs unc, every single year for eternity)

Man I feel Cincinnati gets fucked every year in the tourney. As a 6 seed getting a far worse draw than teams like Xavier and Dayton is shit. They have had to go out West now 2 years in a row.

Sephzilla

My final four picks are
#2 Duke out of the
East,
#2 Arizona out of the
West,
#1 Kansas out of the
Midwest, and
#3 UCLA out of the
South.
Kansas
wins it all.

Upset picks in the tournament:
#11 Xavier beats #6 Maryland
#12 Middle Tennessee beats #5 Minnesota

clav

Keep redoing my bracket and comparing previous years.

Not really any upsets when you get down to the finals.

So boring.

The average is to move the 1 and 2 seeds down to the end. More you stray away from doing that, fewer points you earn.

If you're looking for a potential feel good story, Gonzaga has never been to the Final 4 despite many appearances.

clav

Follow your dreams and make the pick that I know you want to. It feels so good.

So easy to go with feelings over facts for a lot of things...

I think at best Northwestern gets one win. Problem with this team has is rebounding as I always see the team struggling getting defensive rebounds. Recruiting is better, but when other schools can recruit even bigger dudes, you still have a problem. So many recruits passed up Collins in previous off-seasons.

I remember as a student while watching team play, I muttered, "Get the rebound." Looks like this hasn't changed.

Fewer possessions = fewer shot attempts = fewer points

Sephzilla

The South bracket is where I think most brackets are potentially going to go up in smoke, mostly because there's a bunch of teams in that bracket that I could easily see making the Final Four.

The South bracket is where I think most brackets are potentially going to go up in smoke, mostly because there's a bunch of teams in that bracket that I could easily see making the Final Four.

Yup. I'm a little worried about my Bruins. If the 3's aren't raining we tend to have trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom