• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Health care" bill withdrawn due to lack of votes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

giphy.gif

IrishNinja

why is Ryan saying they'll reconvene to pass this on monday, you really think you're gonna manage those votes this weekend? FOH

The next time they can try again isn't until next year. And that's midterm year. It's dead. ACA is law of the land for basically ever now.

amen
my hope? when trump's shit-strategy of choking ACA out by not funding it falls on him (as it will - you can't put that on obama years later, and no one's trying to hear how the "master negotiator" couldn't reign in his people either) that whoever we get in 2020 fixes it by extending medicaid or all or another form of proper UHC

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/845361857774931968

So much for coming back to it again in the future. Healthcare reform is dead, time to fail at tax reform too next.

this day just keeps on GIVING

I worry the Rs still don't own this. With Obamacare still the law of the land I'm worried that they'll continue to peck at it (causing more insurers to leave the marketplace), let the public support for it flag a bit (as the Rs weaken it), and try again.

They will just try again next week. This is only a small win.
They need to move on to tax reform. Healthcare is done. They are going to be out of time to make any changes to healthcare that can't be filibustered. Any tax reform they try will be filibustered as well if they don't hurry and get it done through budget reconciliation

I wish they still voted on it and lost so that it would be on public record. Either way, so fucking glad this died. Get fucked Trump and Ryan. Subhuman pieces of shit.

el jacko

People celebrating this don't seem to care that it was pulled because it was still too much healthcare.

That doesn't seem like good news.
It probably can't pass the house without moving much closer to a full repeal bill, or it will get blasted with calls of "Obamacare-lite" (which it already is)

But moving to the right alienates more than a few republicans in the senate, who won't vote for the massive cuts to Medicaid and/or Planned Parenthood.

This bill is damned if they do, damned if they don't. It's really a quite perfect clusterfuck of failure, and speaks to the skills Obama & co had in pulling it off in 2009-10.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Corn‏Verified account @DavidCornDC 5m minutes ago

Costa on MSNBC: Trump says bill won’t be coming back in near future & he’ll see if the Dems want to work with him on healthcare.

tail in between legs and all

calder

Fucking hilarious and awesome, even though I'm sure the Republicans will somehow turn it into something even shittier that openly kills sick people more efficiently.

Twitter has been amazing last 15 minutes, but the truest thing I've seen is:

Nick Merrill @NickMerrill
No spin to be done here. This is the chief example of something hard that Trump won by calling easy. It was a farce, & he's been exposed.
Brian Fallon @brianefallon
Trump on the phone with the Washington Post, already trying to spin the failure

Second best:

Brendan McDonald @ProducerMcD
"I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn't get there." - Donald J. Trump, 2005 and today

BiggNife

People celebrating this don't seem to care that it was pulled because it was still too much healthcare.

That doesn't seem like good news.
They pissed off the moderates too. A healthcare bill designed for the freedom caucus would piss off moderates even more than this one did. Remember that MORE reps actually said No once the last-minute freedom caucus concessions were in.

This is a win for liberals. Trump lost.

Finalizer

Good that it's basically dead now, but... Man, I really wanted for it to go to a vote and fail. I wanted Ryan to look at his baby, watch it as it transforms into a big fat L, right before his very eyes.

Mrbob

Trump Republican heel turn happening now...The smart plan would be to have both Republicans and Democrats in on healthcare reform.

theWB27

This can be seen as a success if we focus on the immense effort it took to even get to this point. We don't know what we're doing, but we're here to get it done on and in an orderly fashion.

KoopaTheCasual

This actually pisses me off.

I wanted this shit to die on the floor. TODAY. like it was clearly going to.

What a bunch of fcking weenies. Stop putting off the inevitable. This bill is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom