• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work

Alx

While importing may not be a large barrier for some here on GAF, it will be for the general population.

Importing within EU is no more hassle than buying from a national shop online, since there are no additional taxes or conditions. And I think most people are now familiar with buying online.
The most annoying part would be playing with XBL account locations, in my opinion. I know I wouldn't like to do it anyway, because like most people I don't like making additional efforts.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Since I'm old and my memory goes, I went to Wikipedia on this one. According to that, we were in 11 countries before the end of the year we launched. We rolled out another 15 the following year. So 13 in one year beats that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

This time it's complicated by our need to have deep voice recognition. So it's not apples-to-apples with the amount of work needed to launch a territory.

One of the "countries" listed is Eurozone in that list which includes around 10 countries. France, Spain, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium etc.

Jadedx

Banned
You changed your policies because of preorder data, don't pretend that anything else was the case.

Several MS execs even said that they expected back lash from your previous policies.

You're just a MS troll, don't pretend to be anything but.

sinnergy

Does it have a universal 120-240v power supply?

Assuming you set up eg a German live account but are in the Netherlands, would German games be tied to German DLC, or is DLC tied to the live account

Eg I buy German forza 5, and buy DLC with a prepaid card. Later, when Xbox launches in the Netherlands, can I migrate my live account to the Netherlands, and continue to download DLC for forza 5? Or will that be forever tied to the German disc?

People that are thinking of doing this, are you going to migrate your live accounts to the import country, or start a new, temp live account?

Can't we just use our Xbox 360 live profiles? I mean fill in my account details and we are set? I have LIVE on xbox 360.

This is gonna be a long one.
I don't see it that way from my seat. We made ONE big change around digital, as stated above. There was a lot of follow-on (like family sharing) related to that. The other changes were, frankly, pretty typical for console launches. I've done three of them now. I've been in the inside of the industry since the Sega Genesis days.

What's unprecedented is the amount of information publicly disclosed, which makes it seem different. Things get tweaked, revised, reversed, added and removed SO much as you approach launch. So again, having a bunch of stuff change like this for launch is typical. What's not typical is for us to change what we've *announced*

I guess we can agree to disagree. The only thing I can add, based on everything I've heard/read/watched is that if you asked 9/10 people about how they would classify the changes made to the xbone, including game journalists, they would label them as a series of major changes.

Raist

Banned
Since I'm old and my memory goes, I went to Wikipedia on this one. According to that, we were in 11 countries before the end of the year we launched. We rolled out another 15 the following year. So 13 in one year beats that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

"Eurozone" is not a country, it's 17 countries. If for some reason you want to count it as one country, then do it for the xbox one too, in which case it will launch in 7.35 countries (six of the first launch wave are part of the eurozone, so that's 35% of that zone only). Because counting 17 as 1 or 6 of these 17 as 6 depending on the console is a bit misleading.

"Eurozone" is not a country, it's 17 countries. If for some reason you want to count it as one country, then do it for the xbox one too, in which case it will launch in 7.35 countries (six of the first launch wave are part of the eurozone, so that's 35% of that zone only). Because counting 17 as 1 or 6 of these 17 as 6 depending on the console is a bit misleading.

#geographyfail.

I stand corrected. I'll make sure the internal teams are aware of this too.

LAMBO

Yeah, we do. We even have ones that pretend like they're "classier" than the regular Pizza Huts.

pizzahutbistrorobng.png

20 years ago the sit down pizza hut restaurants were really good, i won't touch the stuff these days.

#geographyfail.

I stand corrected. I'll make sure the internal teams are aware of this too.

You may want to employ more non-Americans into influential positions at Xbox headquarters. This #geographyfail is very illustrative of the phenomenon of Xbox not really getting non-American markets. Still, the topic of this thread (and CBOAT's thread about import-friendly policies) might be an indication that you are attempting to rectify this phenomenon.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood

"Eurozone" is 17 countries now but it wasn't back in 2005 when 360 was released. And there are some countries in the xbox release day list individually listed that was part of the eurozone back when 360 was released so I don't know what they really mean with eurozone.

What we can be sure about is that 360 was released in more than 13 countries in 2005 at least.

MCD

Albert, in Germany, we cant buy games like Gears of War 1, Dead Rising, etc. because they are banned by the BPJM because of violence and stuff like this, they are "Indiziert".

I dont know how far you are involved in Games for Gold, but this is also the reason, we get this month other games that the rest of the world.

I am able to buy those games on Sony devices, there is no IP-lock based on age restrictions.

Can you confirm on this point, that the age restriction IP-lock will return on Xbox One or will I be able to buy these games, too?

Quoted for some Penello's attention.

It's totally different.

First - all games are WW signed. Not all 360 games are.

Second - The console will work everywhere (keeping in mind Power Supplies)

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)
I really appreciate your response.
However I would like to ask you:
Curently I have an american XBL account but my payment method is via a foreign credit card and I have no trouble buying content on XBL.
Would this be posible on XB1 by launch and if it would be possible after the local curency update.

Thanks

RdN

Albert, in Germany, we cant buy games like Gears of War 1, Dead Rising, etc. because they are banned by the BPJM because of violence and stuff like this, they are "Indiziert".

I dont know how far you are involved in Games for Gold, but this is also the reason, we get this month other games that the rest of the world.

I am able to buy those games on Sony devices, there is no IP-lock based on age restrictions.

Can you confirm on this point, that the age restriction IP-lock will return on Xbox One or will I be able to buy these games, too?

I'd like a confirmation too.

PedroRVD

I really appreciate your response.
However I would like to ask you:
Curently I have an american XBL account but my payment method is via a foreign credit card and I have no trouble buying content on XBL.
Would this be posible on XB1 by launch and if it would be possible after the local curency update.

Thanks

Everybody seems to avoid answering this and all my questions everytime I ask them.

I'm sorry about living in a Tier F country like Ecuador... I will be careful of not saying this next time I ask something.

I hope at least they answer us if it will be possible to but content outside of US with a US Live Account using prepaid card funds. I can buy everything on my PS3 from my location but almost nothing on 360.

I really want a Xbox One and this is the last factor for my decision.

jbug617

Banned
Everybody seems to avoid answering this and all my questions everytime I ask them.

I hope at least they answer us if it will be possible to but content outside of US with a US Live Account using prepaid card funds. I can buy everything on my PS3 from my location but almost nothing on 360.

I really want a Xbox One and this is the last factor for my decision.

Going off what he said you would be able to do it if you get US pre paid cards.

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

Never heard MS would ask your address if you use point/pre-paid cards,just make sure don't buy a wrong card(like you want something in US marketplace but just bought a euro card lol)

PedroRVD

Yes Maximilian, they did this whole generation.

I have a US Live account which I have used all this time to get Rock Band DLC , XBLA game etc...

But 99% of times when I wanted to get a Game on Demand I got this dreadful screen:

ku-medium.jpg

Everytime I wanted to use my funds (gotten with pre-paid cards) to buy games from Ultimate Sales I got this error. This never happens on Playstation Network so that makes me wonder why Microsoft does it.

------------------------------

jbug617, this means we will never get this error again?

Thank you for answering, sir.

Yes Maximilian, they did this whole generation.

I have a US Live account which I have used all this time to get Rock Band DLC , XBLA game etc...

But 99% of times when I wanted to get a Game on Demand I got this dreadful screen:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18j4ja3baoruujpg/ku-medium.jpg[/IMG

Everytime I wanted to use my funds (gotten with pre-paid cards) to buy games from Ultimate Sales I got this error. This never happens on Playstation Network so that makes me wonder why Microsoft does it.
[/QUOTE]
This isn't about pre-paid card,this is ip blocked,you don't need to type your address when you use point/pre-paid card to buy games/DLC(my account address is empty since i never use credit card in marketplace),but they will check your ip
And it's not anymore in XB1
All XB1 games and DLC are region free+no ip blocked

[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76585635#post76585635[/url]

I hate prepaid cards, that is the main reason I don't buy many stuff on PSN, I can't use my peruvian credit card with my american PSN account which is not the cae of XB, just hope they to not mess up that.

Is there a less restrictive console from a region perspective in the next genercation or current generation? Not that I know of. Maybe I'm stupid but there are region restrictions on digital content on every console and handheld platform, as far as I understand.

Mrbob

Albert, since you are reading this thread, I have some constructive criticism I'd like to talk about and hopefully we will see some changes. Is there a reason why MS had to go to one extreme or the other regarding digital content?

The 24 hour check in for game purchases was a beyond bad decision. However, tying disc based games to your account isn't necessarily a terrible decision. I'm used to doing this on Steam and then chucking the disc. I'm not big into reselling games, but I am against having MS act like a big brother and watch over my purchases every 24 hours.

MS goes from watching over you like a hawk to completely ripping away the ability to toss your disc after you purchase a game. There was no middle ground. To be frank, the Xbox Live Digital store is complete garbage compared to Steam so there is no way I'm making a huge collection of overpriced content. I know you guys watch Steam. Start acting like them with your digital store. Give people an incentive to purchase digital content on day one except to say "Here is the same game with on bonuses for $59.99!" For example, I get a 10 percent discount for Saints Row 4 on Steam making it $44.99 since I own Saints Row 3. Or you can look at The Bureau which is also $44.99, plus you get a bunch of Xcom games for free as well. Why would I ever want to spend $59.99 for the same game on the Xbox Digital Store with no bonus? You guys aren't just competing against Sony anymore for peoples money.

Also, is it confirmed the 24 hour check in gone from digital purchases?

p3tran

Banned
"Eurozone" is 17 countries now but it wasn't back in 2005 when 360 was released. And there are some countries in the xbox release day list individually listed that was part of the eurozone back when 360 was released so I don't know what they really mean with eurozone.

What we can be sure about is that 360 was released in more than 13 countries in 2005 at least.

my country, Greece, is a member of eurozone since 1999. there where 12 member states in eurozone when 360 launched. Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia, Slovakia and Esthonia have joined up after 360 launch.

for 360, we got it december 2 2005, like uk, 10 days after usa release on november 22 2005.
I can see on this wiki link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch ) that for example Russia got the 360 on ...february 2007(!!)

this time, for xbox one, Russia is listed as tier 2-3, while my country, Greece, is nowhere to be found(!!) instead of launching day/date with uk, like in the past.

since mr Penello seems to have a clear head and a position where he can talk to corporate people, and in the case that there is no problem/shortage with xbox quantities, mayyybe he should insist to have the launch schedule re-checked for countries and all...

Neff

While Nintendo, Sega and Sony have all granted region free gaming in the past, this is the first time I've ever heard of a hardware manufacturer endorsing and even suggesting it. For it to come from Microsoft of all companies as well is surprisingly forward thinking and refreshing.

Didn't know that.

That's what his tag said, and that's what I went by.

Besides, what he's doing right now is PR.

If he is doing PR what exactly are you doing besides basing your opinions off of rumors? One could assume pre-orders were low and that is why Microsoft retracted some of their policies or they could have actually listened to feedback. So unless you have proof it doesn't help anyone with your condescending attitude towards this Microsoft employee.

A better view would be why was Microsoft so determined to push this agenda all the way to E3 when the backlash happened well before that? If this turnaround was really all due to feedback why were they not listening earlier? Questions were raised months before and Sony also received flack about rumored used game policies. I would lean towards the actual xbox forums where many have voiced their concerns after E3 with the confirmation from Microsoft and the Xbox One policies. Those people arelikely less anonymous as they attach their real Live accounts. There's probably less trolling going on and shills from Sony and many have said they would not be getting a Xbox One with those new policies in place.

With that said I really hope they don't bow down and make a Kinect free system. That would just cause more confusion and we don't want a situation like the Xbox 360 and no hard drive scenario. Having a 1:1 ratio makes it much easier for developers to use Kinect and take advantage of what it can do. I think we will finally see the potential of what the original was promised.

moai

this sounds great but if ms doesn't offer day one dd games i will always prefer psn over live.
many games don't get released on day one in my country, digital distribution is great in that way.

this sounds great but if ms doesn't offer day one dd games i will always prefer psn over live.
many games don't get released on day one in my country, digital distribution is great in that way.

Where have you been? This is what they originally wanted for extended use.

Its in.

They've already said every game will be available digitally same day as retail.

With that said I really hope they don't bow down and make a Kinect free system. That would just cause more confusion and we don't want a situation like the Xbox 360 and no hard drive scenario. Having a 1:1 ratio makes it much easier for developers to use Kinect and take advantage of what it can do. I think we will finally see the potential of what the original was promised.

I can't wait til a year or two from now, so we can all see the Kinect 2.0 turned out just like Kinect 1.0, with a few exclusive games funded by Microsoft with mediocre results, and some third parties cramming it into their game as an optional thing that almost no one uses. Then we can stop hearing how it's all going to be so different this time.

And you can bet your ass a whole bunch of us will be saying "I told you so" when we get there.

I can't wait til a year or two from now, so we can all see the Kinect 2.0 turned out just like Kinect 1.0, with a few exclusive games funded by Microsoft with mediocre results, and some third parties cramming it into their game as an optional thing that almost no one uses. Then we can stop hearing how it's all going to be so different this time.

Or scenario #3, Kinect actually compliments the system this time and is not being forced into games and used in ways that undermine the gameplay. Which would mean there is no reason to say "I told you so" because it will not be a failure or the main focus of game development. Xbox 360 owners felt short changed because development started to favor Kinect while ignoring the hardcore. It's about balance and Microsoft certainly changed direction late in the Xbox 360 cycle in order to make Kinect a success (in sales only). By having a more balanced approach would also lead less into this 'I hate Kinect' camp.

Or scenario #3, Kinect actually compliments the system this time and is not being forced into games and used in ways that undermine the gameplay. Which would mean there is no reason to say "I told you so" because it will not be a failure or the main focus of game development. Xbox 360 owners felt short changed because development started to favor Kinect while ignoring the hardcore. It's about balance and Microsoft certainly changed direction late in the Xbox 360 cycle in order to make Kinect a success (in sales only). By having a more balanced approach would also lead less into this 'I hate Kinect' camp.

People have experienced what the Kinect can do for games. Beyond dancing, fitness, and the odd quirky game like Fantasia, it was pretty much worthless. I don't see any reason that is going to change now.

Microsoft only has Kinect Sports 3 and Fantasia in the works. Developers are not lining up to use this thing.

zsidane

I would love to read stories about changes made prior to release for other consoles (and Albert seems to be in a very good position to share some interesting stories being clearly an industry vet :) )

Anyway, good job Albert.

People have experienced what the Kinect can do for games. Beyond dancing, fitness, and the odd quirky game like Fantasia, it was pretty much worthless. I don't see any reason that is going to change now.

Microsoft only has Kinect Sports 3 and Fantasia in the works. Developers are not lining up to use this thing.

Forza 5 will use it, Dead Rising 3 will use and so will many other games in the future. Like I said earlier that you seemed to skim over because of your eagerness to write it off, it can be supplementary and doesn't have to be in your face. Microsoft so far seems to be taking a more cautionary approach to utilizing Kinect. The mistake they made in the past was being too aggressive with it while ignoring the hardcore fanbase.

Forza 5 will use it, Dead Rising 3 will use and so will many other games in the future. Like I said earlier that you seemed to skim over because of your eagerness to write it off, it can be supplementary and doesn't have to be in your face. Microsoft so far seems to be taking a more cautionary approach to utilizing Kinect. The mistake they made in the past was being too aggressive with it while ignoring the hardcore fanbase.

Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon (Panzer Dragoon basically) and D4 will also utilize Kinect. I also expect MGS5 to use it in some way as Hideo Kojima has expressed his interest in it. Also Unity supports it now so we will most likely see quite a few indies take advantage of it in some interesting ways.

Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon (Panzer Dragoon basically) and D4 will also utilize Kinect. I also expect MGS5 to use it in some way as Hideo Kojima has expressed his interest in it. Also Unity supports it now so we will most likely see quite a few indies take advantage of it in some interesting ways.

Even if it's subtle like knowing your controller preference settings and signing you in right away can make the experience better. Head tracking in racing games bump up the immersion, trying not to make noises in scary games or tip off the enemies in Dead Rising 3 can push the immersion further as well. What we don't need is cramming the Kinect features where they don't belong like a racing game without a steering wheel or a controller.

There are lots of ideas like controlling your squad in a game such as Ghost Recon with voice actions or simply a hand gesture to throw a grenade instead of selecting the appropriate hotkey, then aiming with your controller stick to where you want it to go. Why not just one action throwing and have Kinect detect the force. The damn thing can read your heartrate now and how your muscles are behaving.

Pretty much all xbone exclusives are using Kinect. The point of the new version is that it can be invisible to the user, it can track you while you are sitting on your couch, playing with the controller, and still give meaningful input to the game about you.

Sioen

Sorry to bump this old thread but anyone can help me?
I'm important An Xbox one with ghost bundled in from France, will I be able to download the game using that code from the UK store because I don't speak French. (I'm from Belgium)

Top Bottom