• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

This post is ridiculous.

Do I need to remind you that the PS4's rumored specs are around 10X that of the PS3 currently?

And PS3 produced Uncharted 2 & 3.

Agni's Philosophy will easily be exceeded on PS4 by Sony's own studios.

Yeah.

Uncharted 2, 3
Killzone 2, 3
God of War 3, Acesion
The Last of Us

These are the type of graphical show cases Sony devs are pushing out on the PS3 now, I have no doubt giving these same devs a piece of kit several GPU generations apart, even if it's not a 680, from the PS3 since it's inception, they will make it sing like no one else.

Good lord, I nearly soiled my pants thinking what they can do.

If one targets sub 720/900p with no antialiasing, tessellation, or other dynamic options at 30-40 fps, then yes.

The same applies for Agni's Philosophy and Samartian Demos. They will NOT be at the same level as what we saw in the videos last year, neither in frames nor graphical quality.

That's simply not true and greatly exaggerated. I am pretty sure it will look almost the same.

Yeah.

Uncharted 2, 3
Killzone 2, 3
God of War 3, Acesion
The Last of Us

These are the type of graphical show cases Sony devs are pushing out on the PS3 now, I have no doubt giving these same devs a piece of kit several GPU generations apart, even if it's not a 680, from the PS3 since it's inception, they will make it sing like no one else.

Killzone 2 released almost FOUR YEARS AGO, and we're still using it a benchmark for these consoles. Multiplats are still playing catch up. I love Sony's first party.

rdrr gnr

Am I the only one that can't get excited over this technical mumbo jumbo? Anyone able to tell me in basic terms. :p

Whether it be pictures/footage of the graphics or something!

Much appreciated.
The GPU and RAM improvements alone equate to a functional generational leap in what we see. These machines aren't the high-end monsters the PS3/360 were -- they are built to be profitable, cool (literally), and easy to program for. They seem to be much closer in tech than the 360/PS3 -- so that may be good news for ports. Nothing about the specs is finalized and there is still much debate. Showcases like Agni's Philosophy are in theory achievable with some trade-offs.

Reiko

Banned
Am I the only one that can't get excited over this technical mumbo jumbo? Anyone able to tell me in basic terms. :p

Whether it be pictures/footage of the graphics or something!

Much appreciated.

Unreal Engine 3: This Gen

3tmyv.gif

65ml1.gif

Unreal Engine 3: Next Gen

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

Unreal Engine 4: Next Gen

ue4_03pyifknvipn.jpeg

Killzone 2 released almost FOUR YEARS AGO, and we're still using it a benchmark for these consoles. Multiplats are still playing catch up. I love Sony's first party.

Did you like not play Crysis 2 on consoles? lol

Reiko

Banned
What game is that? I think I like it.

Crysis 2 really was gorgeous, and better than I expected third parties to get, but dat framerate. I'm usually able to ignore it in games, but not Crysis.

Star Wars 1313.

The framerate was the result of the graphics technology. The PS3 and Xbox 360 couldn't handle it.

I'm not talking about cross game chat specifically. What if there is another feature that blows up and becomes popular which requires more hardware requirements?

EDIT: To clarify, I am not talking about cross game chat specifically. What if some crazy feature, lets say streaming, becomes an option on Durango. I'd love to do that on my PS4, but could it do it? Sony couldn't include cross game chat because of hardware limitations, I am asking if that would happen again in the future.

Exactly. People are being way too short sighted with this. This is not about XGC, it´s about the next big thing, or things that might be very hard for Orbis to replicate because of not enough RAM.

Pandemic

Crisis 3.. Ish?

Interesting, hah thank you.

The GPU and RAM improvements alone equate to a functional generational leap in what we see. These machines aren't the high-end monsters the PS3/360 were -- they are built to be profitable, cool (literally), and easy to program for. They seem to be much closer in tech than the 360/PS3 -- so that may be good news for ports. Nothing about the specs is finalized and there is still much debate. Showcases like Agni's Philosophy are in theory achievable with some trade-offs.

Oh, that's a lot easier to understand. Thank you, much appreciated mate.

Unreal Engine 3: This Gen

Unreal Engine 3: Next Gen

Unreal Engine 4: Next Gen

Icing on the cake in helping me understand all this, thank you!

Not sure if this is an answerable question, but does that mean, say for example, open world games, will be able to double in size..?

I'm going to post this again because I don't think anyone saw it and because I am interested in opinions. It was a couple pages back:

Is 512mb RAM future proof on PS4? What if something becomes popular like cross game chat did?

It'll suit the future needs of gamers.

But it won't match up to what Microsoft is going to unveil.

Did you like not play Crysis 2 on consoles? lol

Killzone 2 is a lot more impressive than Crysis 2 on consoles. Not a fan at all of Crytek or their engines.

Were PS3/360 "high end monsters" though? I recall there were GPUs on the market that were more powerful than both when they released, but due to the closed nature of the system they stood up comparably to high end PCs even if the specs couldn't match directly.

Star Wars 1313.

The framerate was the result of the graphics technology. The PS3 and Xbox 360 couldn't handle it.

Just watched the demo. When it first came out I remember hearing people say it was Uncharted, and they weren't exaggerating. Very pretty though.

I guess, yes, you're right. I forfeit. CryEngine 3 really is a fantastic multiplat engine. When the games open and say "achieved," I feel like they deserve to be called an achievement. I'm really excited to play Crysis 3 on PS3, but a little scared of what pushing the console even further will do.

look at the Vita with its puny 256mb ram
No, i won´t look at the Vita since the Orbis will be much bigger multimedia machine than the Vita will ever be. I wish people would stop saying this crap. You can´t compare the OS functions of the Vita with the Orbis since the Orbis will be doing so much more out of the gate than the Vita will ever do. The next big thing might take much more memory than what´s allocated to the Orbis´s OS. So, no, 512MB RAM is very short sighted and not future proof.

Isn't that a bad thing? It's fine for a company to pursue different philosophies with their tech -- but OS-level features are becoming more important -- not less.

Not for me. I want fast hardware for games with basic OS functions and not a console which makes big sacrifices for apps, services and crap.

No, i won´t look at the Vita since the Orbis will be much bigger multimedia machine than the Vita will ever be. I wish people would stop saying this crap. You can´t compare the OS functions of the Vita with the Orbis since the Orbis will be doing so much more out of the gate than the Vita will ever do. The next big thing might take much more memory than what´s allocated to the Orbis´s OS. So, no, 512MB RAM is very short sighted and not future proof.

Oh really? And what the hell is "the next big thing"? You don't even know that, but you propose Sony should sacrifice hardware power for it, that doesn't make much sense.

Roo

Interesting, hah thank you.

Oh, that's a lot easier to understand. Thank you, much appreciated mate.

Icing on the cake in helping me understand all this, thank you!

Not sure if this is an answerable question, but does that mean, say for example, open world games, will be able to double in size..?

Able? yes
But I rather see more details, better lighting and animations with current open world sizes than bigger maps looking the same as current gen

Isn't that a bad thing? It's fine for a company to pursue different philosophies with their tech -- but OS-level features are becoming more important -- not less.

OS-level features are not really gaming related though. They're more about integrating content (particularly TV, the web, etc) into the console's OS, and do it WHILE you're playing a game.

Some will love the luxury of it, others will find it a waste.

I'll wait and see. I'm inclined to think that if you're a core gamer it's really not something essential like cross game chat.

Is everyone mainly excited for the console itself, or the games that'll be released for the consoles?

This will be the first console launch I'll be involved in, so I am pretty excited for the actual hardware. We don't really know what a lot of the games will be, lol. But I trust Sony's first party.

Pandemic

Able? yes
But I rather see more details, better lighting and animations with current open world sizes than bigger maps looking the same as current gen

So Watch Dogs sort of thing? The amount of detail in that game looked pretty amazing.

Does this mean the amount of players per game in multiplayer will increase..? Or is that already possible on current-generation consoles. Isn't the average amount of players in multiplayer per match 24-34..?

Excuse all my questions, I know nothing about hardware and what it can do..

Reiko

Banned
Gears of War 3 looks so much worse in game, total jaggy fest

Downsampled gifs aren't a good representation at all

IQ yes. You can say that for just about every console game this gen, barring God of War 3/A or Forza Horizon. But that doesn't change the graphical effects being put on display.

rdrr gnr

OS-level features are not really gaming related though. They're more about integrating content (particularly TV, the web, etc) into the console's OS, and do it WHILE you're playing a game.

Some will love the luxury of it, others will find it a waste.

I'll wait and see. I'm inclined to think that if you're a core gamer it's really not something essential like cross game chat.
I disagree. It's essential because I'm investing hundreds into a platform and I want feature parity.

madmackem

Why? what else needs to be done on a gaming console, we can already stream everything known to man, heck the ps3 records tv etc on its small os footprint what more do people want out of there gaming console?.

Do you have a video? Downsampling truly does wonders for the visual mess that Gears 3, sadly is.

IQ yes. You can say that for just about every console game this gen, barring God of War 3/A or Forza Horizon. But that doesn't change the graphical effects being put on display.

The only graphical effects worthy of mention that I see is the smoke. Which really doesn't look like I remembered it.

The lighting is baked, there's not shadow casting at all, really hard to see motion blur, no DoF, no noticeable AO (if at all), the light from the gunshot is nothing that Gears 1 didn't already do. First thing I noticed is the hilarious stun animation from Baird/Marcus? :p

It looks good, but it is what it is technically.

Roo

So Watch Dogs sort of thing? The amount of detail in that game looked pretty amazing.

Does this mean the amount of players per game in multiplayer will increase..? Or is that already possible on current-generation consoles. Isn't the average amount of players in multiplayer per match 24-34..?

Excuse all my questions, I know nothing about hardware and what it can do..

Hmmm yeah you can say so but again, we don't know how big Watch_Dogs is so we'll have to wait
And about the amount of players, I don't think we'll see Battlefield 3 for PC numbers but an increase sounds reasonable

does bgassassin post on GAF anymore? Wasn't he an insider?

He left a couple months ago. Before the Wii U launched iirc

Here's what he recently said about Durango vs. PS4 on B3D:

This would be a very good explanation. When I got the vague specs on Xbox 3 last year it was hard to see where the "beast" comment was justified and how the two were as comparable as I was hearing so I wanted to give it more time. And now getting more details, I'm still not seeing it. And for the most part, the hardware does seem very close to being "apples to apples" as opposed to the current gen.

He's basically saying that the paper specs are pretty much an "apples to apples" comparison (1.84 TF vs 1.23TF, 200 GB/s vs 100 GB/s). No magic special sauce in store for Durango? At least not enough to make up for the paper shortcomings versus Orbis?

I disagree. It's essential because I'm investing hundreds into a platform and I want feature parity.

You're never going to get feature parity.

Microsoft has Kinect, Playstation has Move (and now possibly a touch screen with biometric sensors).

Different philosophies for different companies.

Vaporak

Were PS3/360 "high end monsters" though? I recall there were GPUs on the market that were more powerful than both when they released, but due to the closed nature of the system they stood up comparably to high end PCs even if the specs couldn't match directly.

You remember wrong. The Xbox360 was state of the art when it was released, but a year later the PS3 wasn't because the Geforce8800 was released at about the same time. And you're also wrong on the "due to the closed nature of the system they stood up comparably to high end PCs even if the specs couldn't match directly." High end PC's from late 2006/early 2007 when the PS3 launched run games noticably better than the consoles do.

These rumors point to economic friendly and high power/cost oriented design, not pushing high performance.

rdrr gnr

youre never going to get feature parity.

Microsoft has Kinect, Playstation has Move (and now possibly a touch screen with biometric sensors).

Different philosophies for different companies.
Those aren't features; they're gimmicks. Just like when Sony claimed 3D was a "feature" of the game. It's a waste of my time. But if, say, live streaming from your console turns out to be huge -- what then? I don't want the features to be identical -- I want what will appeal to you and I to be there on both platforms like xgame chat.

RyanDG

Anybody else get the survey from Sony a couple of months back asking about your likely hood of purchasing a new video game console or handheld in the next year, and what price a new console would have to be in order for you to "Definitely" purchase it? It's kind of interesting how everything is falling into place.

Implementation is going to be essential for a lot of these features. The fundamental problem I see with these consoles is that tablets and smartphones basically do a lot of the features they claim to do well, better. A lot of people have tablets and smartphones now so if they're going to push certain features, they have to do it better than these devices.

Things like true multitasking aren't particularly useful if they're more obtuse to use than other media consumption device. If I'm going to open a web browser, I'm going to go to the iPad next to me and I'm not going to try multitasking a console game and a console's web browser at the same time.

I think its a bit of the same problem with Metro and non-touch devices. I personally think Apple did it right. They ensured the desktop/laptop worked through trackpad gestures and keyboard and the tablet/smartphone worked through touch input. Microsoft has basically attempted to build a one-size-fits-all interface so you've got this really strange situation where one half of the OS interacts poorly with traditional keyboard and mouse, input devices still found on tonnes of desktops and laptops. Even then, you could argue that Intel based touch ultrabooks are completely stupid because of their size, weight, and the fact they've got fans inside them. That leaves you with Windows RT which is honestly not any better than Android or iOS for the typical consumer and probably more confusing to use due to not immediately obvious "multitasking" gestures.

Here's what he recently said about Durango vs. PS4 on B3D:

He's basically saying that the paper specs are pretty much an "apples to apples" comparison (1.84 TF vs 1.23TF, 200 GB/s vs 100 GB/s). No magic special sauce in store for Durango? At least not enough to make up for the paper shortcomings versus Orbis?

I'm pretty sure bgassassins don't know much about the "special sauce".

Do you have a video? Downsampling truly does wonders for the visual mess that Gears 3, sadly is.

The only graphical effects worthy of mention that I see is the smoke. Which really doesn't look like I remembered it.

The lighting is baked, there's not shadow casting at all, really hard to see motion blur, no DoF, no noticeable AO (if at all), the light from the gunshot is nothing that Gears 1 didn't already do. First thing I noticed is the hilarious stun animation from Baird/Marcus? :p

It looks good, but it is what it is technically.

Gears of War has Motion blur (pre object).

Some direct feed pics:

geow32011100921134467co.jpg

geow32011100920591941co.jpg

geow32012032620575287.jpg

geow32012032620571391.jpg

SparkTR

The 360 was very comparable to a high-end machine when it launched, surpassing it even. It was around the PS3's launch that new components started coming out that propelled computers ahead. By this stage multiplats looked better on PCs and Crysis had completely blown everything away. It seems like these new consoles are 'mid-end monsters', with some benefits.

Gemüsepizza;46623156 said:
Oh really? And what the hell is "the next big thing"? You don't even know that, but you propose Sony should sacrifice hardware power for it, that doesn't make much sense.

Yeah really. Very few people heard about XGC and party chat on consoles before this gen. And now everyone expect them to be standard next gen. So yeah, next gen will bring something more advance and much more useful than this gen OS wise and Competitors should be aware of MS since making OS is their core business. It´s very short sighted to assume that 512MB RAM from a hardware company like Sony to match 3GB RAM of MS and company which specializes in software development. I don´t know what´s the next big thing, but i´m sure that you don´t want the Orbis to be way behind again with regards to functionality to the Durango. 3GB OS for Durango will definitely not be just for show.

Top Bottom