• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Aside from Team Ico and PD... Capcom, Namco, and Konami were producing some serious technical marvels on PS2.

They were exclusives, just not from first party devs.

i didn't say they were the only ones, i 100% agree with you on that. but sony's 1st party studios have pushed the systems to the max, regardless of what power the hw had.

Game stores, such as XBL Marketplace and Playstation Store are for that. You go there to purchase games and it makes sense you'd get lumbered with ads promoting them. The OS and home screen however is not and should not be for that.

sure and this is where we disagree. the home screen is the most vital cog in the machine for promoting content. this is where they need to promote new content and sales with there being more promotion in the stores.

microsoft have a acceptable set up at the moment, the problem is their execution. they need to remove the non game related ad and move the promotions to the sides and move the game library and disc icon window to the centre of the screen.

I wouldn't mind game-related ads. But to see other bullshit that is plastered on the Xbox dashboard is not something I want to see.

absolutely agree. I don't want ads for things I can't buy on the console. have those ads in the store if you must, but make sure they benefit the platform through sponsored content.

Graphically, GT3 and GT4 blew me away. I would still consider them in the 'top 10 looking PS2 games'.

GT5 however doesn't look great.

Trackside detail is AWFUL. They've used the exact same track as GT4 and have reskinned them. Field of view is terrible, compared to Forza.

Plus points - highly detailed cars, best cockpit views, lighting.

GT6 looks fantastic in trailers - better than everything I've seen.

I don't know about you, but I expected more from PD with GT5. I hope with GT6 they bring out all the graphical guns - day/night for every track, motion blur, depth of field, increased FOV, INCREASED TRACKSIDE DETAIL, better lighting, 60FPS, 1920x1080p, 4xAA.
Dear God no!

it depends on what you consider ads. this is what my dashboard looks like.

I really only see one that I'd consider a proper ad, the rest are promoting or advertising content to make consumers aware of what's available. it needs to be improved, but it's a start.

notthisshitagain.gif

in the ps2 days, developers like ND, SSM, SCE japan (team ico) and PD were creating some of the best looking games on the system.
in the ps3 it hasn't been that different. SSM, ND, PD, GG and SP (to a degree) have also made some of the system's most gorgeous games.

Reiko already made the point for me, but anyway I wasn't saying Sony 1st party weren't producing quality, just that they were far from the only ones.

Hell look at Quantic Dream, Heavy Rain looked great back then and Beyond looks amazing you know? (dying to play it honestly). But they weren't technical wizards before...this is a consequence of trying to take advantage of the tech in the most powerful console because you're just making the game for it.

Ashes

Banned
I think it's a shame intel hasn't jumped in yet. Really could have done with a design win. Low power and performance. Pity price wise they would never match AMD.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Would it be safe to assume the GPU will have its own memory pool
I say this because the 720 has DDR3 RAM

I don't know if this has been answered yet already or not but will developers have a problem creating parity between the two systems since they have just a big difference in ram size?

3.5 vs 6?

What kind of differences could one expect? Texture quality? AA?

notthisshitagain.gif

I'm not trying to start a is it an ad or isn't it discussion / argument. it's a worn out one with people holding firmly entrenched opinions and feelings for and against.

I just feel going for a plain OS / UI on the home screen is the wrong direction, especially when digital releases are likely to be such a big part of next gen gaming.

Maztorre

Steam advertises on the front page and every time you click on a game a trailer loads up.

Ads increase awareness and sales, both of which are good for the industry.

There is a tick box called "autoplay videos", unchecking will default to the games image gallery instead of loading trailers. Steam's "frontpage" is also completely user-definable from the settings menus.

The only reason ads are tied heavily to sales on the Xbox interface is because navigating to any part of the UI that isn't ads is terrible and slow. Hell, microsoft force a limit on the number of new digital releases a week but they still can't manage to promote their 2-3 new XBLA/on demand titles per week, gotta have those full video and audio Lovefilm ads on the frontpage instead.

velociraptor

None of those games looked better than GoW2. The only one I can think of is FFXII considering the massive scale of the game.
I agree GOW2 was an amazing looking game. But Japanese studios really did well last generation. DMC3, ZOE2, MGS2, MGS3 were all spectacular.

Reiko

Banned
None of those games looked better than GoW2. The only one I can think of is FFXII considering the massive scale of the game.

iOc8gceGD6hzQ.gif

You're wrong. Big time.

Silent Hill 3 aged well. GOW2 didn't.

TGO

You got your main ram and gpu memory, for instance my old PC has 2gb ram but the GPU has 528mb
Or like the 360 had 528mb shared but PS3 was split
Its just DDR3 for graphics isnt common is it?

^^
Oh ok

Respawn

Banned
There'll be a relatively high CPU overhead too, with potentially two cores reserved for the customisable apps Microsoft wants to run in parallel with gameplay. Orbis has no such ambitions and may power past the new Xbox simply because it focuses its resources on out-and-out games power. There's always the possibility that Microsoft has looked at the prior success of Nintendo and its own Kinect and come to the conclusion that chasing after the maximum in raw horsepower isn't the way to win the next console war.

This sounds bad for Sony.

lol you dont even understand what you bolded

nib95

Banned
I'm not trying to start a is it an ad or isn't it discussion / argument. it's a worn out argument with people holding firmly entrenched opinions and feelings for and against.

I just feel going for a plain OS / UI on the home screen is the wrong direction, especially when digital releases are likely to be such a big part of next gen gaming.

Lol, hearing people defend corporate shillery instead of individualism or UI accessibility and simplicity is baffling to me. I don't really care for the potential slight increase in sales if it sacrifices general UI competency and aesthetic integrity. I spend hundreds, even thousands on entertainment, I don't need it forced down my throat any more than it already is.

The home page of an OS should be a tool to navigate media, files, features, options and settings, and have a touch of aesthetic individuality (think home page of OSX, Windows, mobiles etc) to boot, not be cluttered with unrelated or potentially pointless garbage.

Like I said there's store and game pages for these things for when people want it along with ads and promotions, no need to have it any other way. The day random ads start popping up on my Mac or Windows home page is the day I drop that OS.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Reiko said:
Aside from Team Ico and PD... Capcom, Namco, and Konami were producing some serious technical marvels on PS2.
Mixing "technical marvels" with discussion about who produced best looking games is not a great idea - good looking games get made using questionable tech-base a lot more often than people generally realize.

TGO

last gen silent hill games were incredible. in gameplay, visuals and art direction. unparalleled and it seeing where the franchise has ended up hurts all the more. :(
I still think if team silent got back together and made another SH it would wipe the floor with everything graphically

Reiko

Banned
Mixing "technical marvels" with discussion about who produced best looking games is not a great idea - good looking games get made using questionable tech-base a lot more often than people generally realize.

In the case of Silent Hill 3, it's a technical marvel... While looking absolutely beautiful.

can I post a gif from gow2 cutscenes so we can compare apples to apples?

You mean video files? The cutscenes from Silent Hill 3 are all rendered in game.

The in game ones aged badly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXPyCQYco0

nib95

Banned
iOc8gceGD6hzQ.gif

You're wrong. Big time.

Silent Hill 3 aged well. GOW2 didn't.

GoW2s pedigree was in scale and scope. Silent Hill the complete opposite. Obviously a close up or more confined shot from each is going to benefit Silent Hill more. How about shots of the crazy bosses from Gow2, when you fly pegasus around the skies, the giant horse/chariot you play on as a level etc.

Lol, hearing people defend corporate shillery instead of individualism or UI accessibility and simplicity is baffling to me. I don't really care for the potential slight increase in sales if it sacrifices general UI competency and aesthetic integrity. I spend hundreds, even thousands on entertainment, I don't need it forced down my throat any more than it already is.

The home page of an OS should be a tool to navigate media, files, features, options and settings, and have a touch of aesthetic individuality (think home page of OSX, Windows, mobiles etc) to boot, not be cluttered with unrelated or potentially pointless garbage.

Like I said there's store and game pages for these things for when people want it along with ads and promotions, no need to have it any other way. The day random ads start popping up on my Mac or Windows home page is the day I drop that OS.

was the condescending start to the post necessary? it just makes a reasonable discussion derail and become something more like I'd expect from a less evolved forum.

I would like to make it clear that there's no corporate shilling or anything else on my part. I just believe the home screen is a vital cog in the machine to promote content. you don't and that's more than reasonable.

I believe the home screen should be used to promote content like new releases and sales. this isn't shilling or any kind, it's wanting the more promotion of content I might want to buy.

real ads are something I want to see gone from the service altogether used in a way that benefits the user through sponsored content. free or at a reduced price, either is acceptable. if mountain dew want to promote their latest drink, they should spend a little extra and sponsor some content or games so we directly benefit from seeing their ad.

Reiko

Banned
GoW2s pedigree was in scale and scope. Silent Hill the complete opposite. Obviously a close up or more confined shot from each is going to benefit Silent Hill more. How about shots of the crazy bosses from Gow2, when you fly pegasis around the skies, the giant horse you play as a level etc.

If Ninja Gaiden Black didn't come out... I would have been more impressed.

Visually, I can say Silent Hill 3 is up there with Team Ninja's best on more powerful hardware.

Sanctuary

Not to take anything away from that SH gif, but try adding a little perspective to what you're seeing. You're seeing a closeup of a single character with a mostly bland background. Does it look good? Yes, but come on. It's not like it's some super technical marvel.

I still think if team silent got back together and made another SH it would wipe the floor with everything graphically

absolutely. we'd also get a pretty kick arse silent hill game too. such a waste of a franchise. I hoped so much that homecoming was a blip but then came downpour and confirmed by absolute worst fears, the franchise is dead, at least for me. :(

GoW2s pedigree was in scale and scope. Silent Hill the complete opposite. Obviously a close up or more confined shot from each is going to benefit Silent Hill more. How about shots of the crazy bosses from Gow2, when you fly pegasus around the skies, the giant horse/chariot you play on as a level etc.

Every design choice has its trade offs.

Is San Andreas more impressive than God of War for having this big ass world to play around in?

Are games like Just Cause 2 or Far Cry 3/Ass Creed/Read Dead Redemption the most impressive games of the gen?

Each studio makes design choices to fit their ideas, and build tech to support those ideas. Unless God of War 2 was on the scale of MGS3, or Silent Hill in the scale of GTA, we'll never know the answer to that.

beast786

You mean video files? The cutscenes from Silent Hill 3 are all rendered in game.

The in game ones aged badly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXPyCQYco0

IIRC, GoW2 used pre-rendered cutscenes, so it really would be apples to oranges as the cutscenes in SH3 were realtime. :p
I know how GoW 2 were baked.

My sarcastic point was as valid as him putting a non in game gif vs a pic. if you are gonna compare at least show same, so your post doesn't reek of bias.

Personally, the starting boss fight in GoW2 was 2nd to none.

eso76

That's my first impression, but I'm also incredibly curious what crazy stuff MS has planned to need that overhead.

The ultimate media centre would be something I'd have to have - nobody has cracked it yet.

I'm rather happy with my 5v, completely silent Raspberry Pi.
It's good enough for me :p

Still, 3 GB for OS doesn't sound realistic.
Full Windows 8 doesn't need half that.
I can maybe understand MS wants a system that can run several apps in background while gaming, but i don't need them and they will probably affect gaming performance anyway (unless not only a part of the ram is reserved for OS, but Cpu cores etc...too).

beast786

Every design choice has its trade offs.

Is San Andreas more impressive than God of War for having this big ass world to play around in?

Are games like Just Cause 2 or Far Cry 3/Ass Creed/Read Dead Redemption the most impressive games of the gen?

Each studio makes design choices to fit their ideas, and build tech to support those ideas. Unless God of War 2 was on the scale of MGS3, or Silent Hill in the scale of GTA, we'll never know the answer to that.

Personally, for open world that was the most visceral game on my PC, followed by witcher 2 and ARMA.

What if, on top of having 4GB of GDDR5 RAM, the PS4 also sports a small SSD for cache or virtual memory ? Weren't there rumors to this effect ? If true, how beneficiary would it be for the console ?

Personally, for open world that was the most visceral game on my PC, followed by witcher 2 and ARMA.

Well yeah, there's nothing quite like the visual marvel that is fooling around with the free camera mod in Just Cause 2. Witcher 2 looks amazing too, never played Arma.

JaggedSac

I'm rather happy with my 5v, completely silent Raspberry Pi.
It's good enough for me :p

Still, 3 GB for OS doesn't sound realistic.
Full Windows 8 doesn't need half that.
I can maybe understand MS wants a system that can run several apps in background while gaming, but i don't need them and they will probably affect gaming performance anyway (unless not only a part of the ram is reserved for OS, but Cpu cores etc...too).

Off topic, but how does the pi handle 1080p decoding? I was thinking about farting around with one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What if, on top of having 4GB of GDDR5 RAM, the PS4 also sports a small SSD for cache or virtual memory ? Weren't there rumors to this effect ? If true, how beneficiary would it be for the console ?

Would be good for streaming data, caching closer than the HDD.

With talk about flash memory and hardware decompressors, I think we'll see good improvements in the memory hierarchy for streaming.

yurinka

You need 3GB of RAM to run

The 1.5GB for the Windows 8 in the console.
+
The 1.5GB to run the Windows RT on your new 'dumb' tablet controller streamed from the box.

Of course.
I'd say that if true here in the 3GB would be included :

-Windows 8 (tweaked for 720)
-Smartglass apps, rendering and streaming
-Kinect 2, that as I think it would be in the X720 box and would be always on (voice commands, voice chat, some gesture to activate something from the OS, etc).
-Not too optimized full multitask (browser, skype for voice chat etc).

They'd reduce the size in the 1st year if the PS4 even if having less available RAM has a noticiable benefit of this.

Sanctuary

Try looking at the ones that don't have a "black background".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyfaZB5NXI

Maybe you could point one out that you consider to be something unparalleled. It's not like I'm saying they aren't good, I'm just saying it's not like Konami did something that was impossible for any other developer to do. Square could have done the same thing given the same scenes to work with, so could Capcom.

Time and money (lots of money) to devote to the games is what you're seeing--talent too, but that still requires money. The SH games in particular make liberal use of shadows or simple plain backgrounds for at least half of the screen to shore up the system's limitations. A lot of what I've seen in those cutscenes look good, but much of it's just aesthetics, because so much of them still look decidedly PS2 era. The most impressive thing about the gif is the facial animations. But there's not much else going on.

Top Bottom