• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

daxy

I've been doing the PC/Nintendo platform for a few years now. I really like most of Nintendo's first party games and I can't imagine giving that up for Sony's exclusives, but that's wholly subjective.

If previous systems are anything to go by, there will be relatively little overlap between the library of the Switch and PC when it comes to third parties whereas most third party games on PS4 get ported to PC.

I have PC, PS4 and Switch. I would go with the Switch by far. You can play most PS4 games on your PC already. Also, no really exciting exclusives coming to PS4 soon.

Switch keeps getting better and better, I am more excited about it than anything else right now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't know about Death Stranding, sorry

Outside of that of course I forgot Last of Us part 2 and some stuff announced in TGS + not yet announced titles at the PSX but yeah, its going to surely be phenomenal.

Switch won't change you too much from the 30 fps life on ps4, hopefully cutting edge graphics are not too much of a priority for you

In the end if you re going to play your Switch more often than not on a TV or a monitor I'd say to get a ps4, simply because of the difference in hardware and a guaranteed follow up in beloved exclusive titles in the upcoming months and well... God of War soon.

With Switch as of now nothing is certain. Sure they made announcements but that's all we have
Depends what games your playing. Most Nintendo first party games on it are 60. Most third party are 30 fps. So yeah weaker versions of third party games or usually technically alright first party.

daxy

Depends what games your playing. Most Nintendo first party games on it are 60. Most third party are 30 fps. So yeah weaker versions of third party games or usually technically alright first party.

Yeah, but those third party games are coming to PC anyway so why even bother with PS4 or Switch in the first place.

Kashiwaba

Huh? That doesn''t make much sense. I mean I definitely have nostalgia for Ninty as I grew up on NES in the 80s but a good game is a good game.

I mean a good game is a good game, but nostalgia plays a big role, for my zelda breath of the wild was just another great game (since it's my first Zelda game) but for other people who grew up playing Nintendo consoles and zelda games before, it might be the game of the gen for them. Also i have no emotional attachment to any of Nintendo characters so a game like Smash bros is just another fighting games with characters i don't care about, it's hard to explain but a person memories and nostalgia can make the game a better experience for them.

As others have said, it really depends on which exclusives you like more, Sony or Nintendo.

One thing I'll point out is that many people incorrectly assume that since you had a PS4, the best option is to switch up(pun intended) and get a Switch. However this ignores the game library investment, likely PSN+ membership, and accessories you already have. If you are like me, you probably also have a backlog of games that you either meant to play again or for the first time. Continuing with a PlayStation lets you continue to make use of that investment.

Finally, since you asked for a choice instead of going for both, cost is a factor for you. The Switch costs at least $100 more. That will go even higher once you consider the addons that you will likely pick up, like a memory card or Pro controller. That extra money could go to getting a better PC video card, CPU, SSD...

City 17

The overlap doesn't matter. What matter is the number of software exclusive to the platform. PS4 has and will still have the biggest library of exclusives this gen.
Roughly speaking (the lists might not be complete):

193 3DS only titles.
42 WiiU only titles.

Even if we see a third of the combined numbers, it'd be more than PS4, which is sitting at 65 currently (and that includes VR and unreleased titles).

As of now there are ~18 confirmed Switch only titles (that doesn't include BOTW or Fire Emblem Warriors etc.).

Those are just numbers though, at the end of the day the quality of the said titles and each player's preferences matter.

murgo

My answer would be both. I have both and together with my gaming PC I can play everything that interests me.

daxy

The overlap doesn't matter. What matter is the number of software exclusive to the platform. PS4 has and will still have the biggest library of exclusives this gen.

Why does overlap not matter? That's effectively the same thing as an exclusive from the perspective of OP.

Edit: wait, it's early. If it's a third party game that's only on Switch that's an exclusive, hah.

Switch.

The overwhelming majority of both Systems games will also be on PC, but Switch will get more exclusives, just through Nintendo themselves, and a greater disparity in the types of games it has exclusive to it.

Plus, even with all those games that both Switch and PC share, the advantage of being able to play on the go, in bed, or while taking a dump, mean Switch has an advantage over both PS4 and PC with multiplats, especially indie titles that won't be massively different graphically on any platform.

BlueLightning90

Neo Member
If you have to choose just one, go with the ps4, I see all these people here recommending the Switch, but personally I hate it... it's just so bad and the games... I can't even start... I would just stay away from it. A lot of people just overhype it and I don't see it being very succesful in the future, but I may be wrong. I never returned a pice of hardware so fast...

And also the games that may already be on PC, you may find attractive on PS4 more, because maybe some multiplayer games have a lot of players on consoles but not that many on PC. Also the PC version may be bad and so on...

Buy the switch later if it's so interesting to you.

Kolx

From what's released and from what we know is releasing, Nintendo will have published 30 games for 3DS/Switch this year by the end of December.

Snipperclips
Flip Wars
Botw
1-2 Switch
MK8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles X

DQVIII
Poochi & Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Sports Superstars
Fire Emblem Echoes
Ever Oasis
Hey! Pikmin
Miitopia
Monster Hunter Stories
Metroid: Samus Returns
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario Party: The Top 100
Kirby Battle Royale
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon
New Style Boutique
Tank Troopers
Bye-Bye BoxBoy
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby's Blowout Blast

What other Publsiher comes close?

Retail
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Knack II
MLB The Show 17
New Everybody's Golf
Nioh (Worldwide except Japan)
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Wipeout Omega Collection
PlayStation Network
Drawn to Death
Locoroco Remastered
Malicious Fallen (Published by Sony Interactive Entertainment in North America)
Matterfall
Parappa the Rapper Remastered
Patapon Remastered
That's You!
PlayStation VR
Farpoint
StarBlood Arena
Announced for 2017
Retail
Gran Turismo Sport
PlayStation Network
Hidden Agenda
Knowledge Is Power
Locoroco 2 Remastered
SingStar Celebration
Stifled
PlayStation VR
Bravo Team
The Inpatient

That's already 25 without Sony published 3rd party games in japan which I couldn't find a list for, but I know there're at least 3 more there. So it's either very close or more.

Why does overlap not matter? That's effectively the same thing as an exclusive from the perspective of OP.

Because if your circle is huge 10% not overlapping is bigger than 30% not overlapping of a much smaller circle. .

sense

Interesting that there is a narrative that a lot of PS4 games are on pc when there is still a lot of PS4 only games. Anyways go with the one that interests you in terms of exclusives. I personally would pick PS4 but that is because I like their exclusives and can't imagine not being able to play games like Spider-Man, God of war, last of us 2, and death stranding.

pa22word

PS4 only has a handful (if that) of really good games for exclusives. If I had to buy it over again for anymore than $200 I probably wouldn't. Bloodborne, Nioh, and Yakuza 0 are all totally awesome though. It has some solid "good but not buy a system worthy" tier games in stuff like Until Dawn, Yakuza Kiwami, and Ratchet and Clank. Then the "Sony Edition of Your Favorite Generic AAA Genre" type games like Killzone, Infamous, or Horizon depending on how tired you are of those types of games (I'm dead tired, so they don't interest me) you might get some enjoyment here.

On the horizon you got stuff like God of War and Last of Us 2 that both look interesting, but personally I consider it kind of a shitty idea to buy a system for a game that's not even out yet and most importantly not going to be out for who knows how long. Price drops and such in the future plus who knows how good the game actually is.

Meanwhile Ninty puts out scores of exclusives for each of their systems and essentially all of them are good and a decent portion of them are truly outstanding and has a treasure trove of ips no one else can match up to. They don't get as much 3rd party games, but with a PC that doesn't really matter. You have to put up with Nintendo Jank(TM) permeating everything they do with regards to online and in the near future will have to pay for the privilege to do so (lol), so obviously YMMV if you're a big online MP person.

Personally I'd say with Mario Odyssey out next month, Xenoblade out in December, and Splattoon 2 and (if you don't already have a Wii U) Zelda out now I'd say the switch is the better option. Really the only game on the PS4 I'd argue is anywhere near as good as Zelda is Bloodborne, and the PS4 has been out for like 4 and a half years now....so yeah long term personally I'd say the switch looks like a better investment. That's just me though and I much more value Nintendo exclusives over Sony's lineup.

tzare

PS4 is cheaper and has more games many of them discounted.
Switch is more expensive and has a limited library atm.
Buy ps4 and save for switch.

Unless you want to play switch games right now something you are the only one that knows the answer

I'd say the switch since as have been suggested less game overlap and you have already played the big Sony exclusives. Plus the portability aspect

jdstorm

Banned
I would go with the Switch, due to the portibility and the fact that you are interested in Nintendo games.

You will be able to find a cheap PS4 Pro in a few years at the end of the generation to catch up on any PS4 exclusives and get a nice resolution boost for your trouble.

I would get a Switch. You can play the great games that are out now like BOTW, Mario Kart, & Mario + Rabbids. Also there are some really great Indies on Switch. By the time you finish a few of them you can move directly on to, FE, Mario Odyssey, & Xenoblade 2. For the rest of the year I believe Switch has a more impressive exclusive line-up than the PS4. Btw I love both the PS4 & Switch. To me the best option would be to get them both.

pa22word

Oh and with the Switch you also have to factor in that it is probable Nintendo is going to revision the fuck out of the switch given how they handled both the DS and 3DS, so if you value the portable side of the system you have nothing to gain by buying it now because the battery life is kind of bleh right now and the system itself is kind of wonky to carry around due to the size of the thing. Myself I don't care, but it's worth mentioning.

Also hey I totally forgot Mario + Rabbids XCOM! That game is fucking rad as hell, a total must buy if you get the system.

The overlap argument is bizarre. The more third-party software the console gets, the bigger the overlap is going to be, of course. It makes sense to count the total number of exclusives, but the Switch will have less overlap by virtue of missing out on a lot of Western titles.

Roughly speaking (the lists might not be complete):

193 3DS only titles.
42 WiiU only titles.

Even if we see a third of the combined numbers, it'd be more than PS4, which is sitting at 65 currently (and that includes VR and unreleased titles).

As of now there are ~18 confirmed Switch only titles (that doesn't include BOTW or Fire Emblem Warriors etc.).

Those are just numbers though, at the end of the day the quality of the said titles and each player's preferences matter.

The number of Switch exclusives will dwindle from the amount available on the 3DS now that games are adopting engines that are easier to port from across platforms, that are more technically advanced and can be sold to the PS4 and PC audiences. Same goes for titles that were PS4/Vita exclusive.

That PS4-only list, like Switch-only one, is also missing cross-platform titles, which you failed to note.

pa22word

The overlap argument is bizarre. The more third-party software the console gets, the bigger the overlap is going to be, of course. It makes sense to count the total number of exclusives, but the Switch will have less overlap by virtue of missing out on a lot of Western titles.

The dude has a PC though. Overlap and missing western titles is rather irrelevant when 95% or so of them are going to be on PC and be better there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The number of Switch exclusives will dwindle from the amount available on the 3DS now that games are adopting engines that are easier to port from across platforms, that are more technically advanced and can be sold to the PS4 and PC audiences. Same goes for titles that were PS4/Vita exclusive.

That PS4-only list, like Switch-only one, is also missing cross-platform titles, which you failed to note.
Yeah but like he noted even substantial contraction would put it ahead. And large number of those games are Nintendo published so in the end I'd likely put the switch ahead

The dude has a PC though. Overlap and missing western titles is rather irrelevant when 95% or so of them are going to be on PC and be better there.

I play all non-exclusives on PC (barring pricing errors/cheap PS4 copies), and there are a lot of PS4 exclusives I wouldn't ever want to miss out on — which was my point. The overlap is obviously going to be greater the more games a console gets, so the number of exclusives (and how many of those interest you) is the only useful metric (outside of portability if you want that).

For the OP, it makes sense to save up for both, but I'd suggest a Switch first given that they're mostly caught up on PS4 exclusives.

antispin

Hmm. IMO PS4 + Switch would've been ideal, but since you have a PC:

If you prefer western titles, then Switch would complement the PC well

If you prefer Japanese titles, the PS4 would be a better complement

Nintendo games are unique enough to even do PC + PS4 for now and then go with a Switch when it price drops/has more years under its belt.

Dunkley

If you had to choose between one of these consoles to complement a gaming PC which would you choose atm? Going to buy one soonish (next couple months). I had a PS4 up until a few months ago when it died so I've already played mostly everything on it I wanted up to this point but of course it will get some great games coming up. Switch I have yet to touch however. What do you think gaf? Which would you pick?

With that in mind I'd recommend a Switch. If you've played already a ton of what you wanted to play on PS4, I'd say a Switch will probably provide you a better experience.

Also, it's not like getting a Switch now means you're never going to get a PS4.

Hmm. IMO PS4 + Switch would've been ideal, but since you have a PC:

If you prefer western titles, then Switch would complement the PC well

If you prefer Japanese titles, the PS4 would be a better complement

Nintendo games are unique enough to even do PC + PS4 for now and then go with a Switch when it price drops/has more years under its belt.

???

The vast majority of Switch's best releases (BotW, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2) are Japanese games.

The question really should be: do you prefer third party Japanese games or Japanese titles from Nintendo?

3rd parties for the most part aren't a factor here as you can get them for PC.

Which exclusives do you care about more? Sony's or Nintendo's? Also, how much do you care about outdoor (and indoor) portability?

Salvadora

Do you want Persona 5 & Bloodborne or Odyssey & BotW?
Wow this is actually a really Challenging question.
It's not that question, though.

You and many others have misinterpreted it given that he has stated that he did in fact, until recently, own a PS4 and played "most" of the exclusives.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Since you've played a bunch of PS4 exclusives already, the Switch is the more obvious choice for the immediate future with Odyssey coming out. Make sure to play Mario + Rabbids as well. That being said, I wouldn't want to miss out on GoW or TLOU2 when they hit, so down the line you could get another ps4 when they're even cheaper.

Both are amazing but I think Switch has less overlap with PC in terms of genres, graphical styles and functionality. You'll have a hard time finding a PC game with the look of Yoshi or BOTW, a 3D platformer like Odyssey or a couch multyplayer game that comes close to Smash or Mario Kart. The portability is another big feature too.

PS4 has incredible exclusives but they're mostly in genres that are already well represented on PC. I personally really value diversity but if you are just looking for who has more high quality exclusives then it's a tough one.

Marker007

It comes down to rather or not you prefer a cinematic experience or a purely game play experience. Not to say that they both don't have good game play or story. It's just that Sony is known for it's emulation of the film industry with it's stories and that Nintendo usually knocks it out of the park on a purely game play stance and story as an after thought.

pswii60

It depends whether you prefer games like Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Arms, Metroid, Yoshi, Pokken and Kirby etc, or if you prefer games like Ratchet, Horizon, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Gran Turismo, Detroit, Days Gone, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian etc

Personally I couldn't do without either, which is why I have PS4 + Switch as the perfect combo. What I would say though is that Nintendo is highly unlikely to repeat the insane output they've had on Switch this year any time soon, especially if you like big meaty single player experiences. We'll be waiting a good while for the next big Zelda and Mario game after these. I'd expect Metroid won't hit until 2019.

Also factor in the portability. It's that something that interests you? And also factor in that Switch will look visually a big step down (technically) from your PC when playing on TV - is that something that could bother you?

I think the answer is to get both, but given you already had a PS4 until recently then perhaps get a Switch initially so you can catch up with Zelda and plough in to SMO, then get your PS4 again next year.

Muzy72

Banned
You already played most of the great PS4 exclusives, and the console naturally has more overlap with PC.

Get a Switch. It’s already built up a decent amount of exclusives including the incredible Zelda: Breath of the Wild and hopefully Mario Odyssey. It’s also great for local multiplayer with Mario Kart. And of course, the portability. All around it’s just a much different experience compared to what you have on PC, which makes it the perfect complement.

Mik2121

PC, PS4 and Switch user here (no xbox atm). If I had to choose one, I would probably choose the Switch since the game catalog and portability make it much more unique than the PS4 when it comes to comparing it to a PC. The PS4 has a ton of great titles too, though, so if I were you I'd try to get both.
If you like Nintendo games though, then it's no question, I think.

Fardeen

i have a gaming pc and i play my ps4 just for exclusive, but sometimes i get 3rd party games on ps4. playing on a big screen is awesome

Neith

Banned
PS4 only has a handful (if that) of really good games for exclusives. If I had to buy it over again for anymore than $200 I probably wouldn't. Bloodborne, Nioh, and Yakuza 0 are all totally awesome though. It has some solid "good but not buy a system worthy" tier games in stuff like Until Dawn, Yakuza Kiwami, and Ratchet and Clank. Then the "Sony Edition of Your Favorite Generic AAA Genre" type games like Killzone, Infamous, or Horizon depending on how tired you are of those types of games (I'm dead tired, so they don't interest me) you might get some enjoyment here.

On the horizon you got stuff like God of War and Last of Us 2 that both look interesting, but personally I consider it kind of a shitty idea to buy a system for a game that's not even out yet and most importantly not going to be out for who knows how long. Price drops and such in the future plus who knows how good the game actually is.

Meanwhile Ninty puts out scores of exclusives for each of their systems and essentially all of them are good and a decent portion of them are truly outstanding and has a treasure trove of ips no one else can match up to. They don't get as much 3rd party games, but with a PC that doesn't really matter. You have to put up with Nintendo Jank(TM) permeating everything they do with regards to online and in the near future will have to pay for the privilege to do so (lol), so obviously YMMV if you're a big online MP person.

Personally I'd say with Mario Odyssey out next month, Xenoblade out in December, and Splattoon 2 and (if you don't already have a Wii U) Zelda out now I'd say the switch is the better option. Really the only game on the PS4 I'd argue is anywhere near as good as Zelda is Bloodborne, and the PS4 has been out for like 4 and a half years now....so yeah long term personally I'd say the switch looks like a better investment. That's just me though and I much more value Nintendo exclusives over Sony's lineup.

This post is so biased lol. Look, I have owned all systems. I've supported Nintendo every generation but this one so far, and a lot of this reads like ultra biased Nintendo guy.

How is the Switch a better investment? Because you can already emulate its best game in much better quality. Buy the game. Play on PC. Sony's lineup has such a wide and diverse portfolio at this point it's insane to even compare these systems. The Switch is getting some cool stuff in the future. But it's all tame and graphically neutered to fit into that Shield GPU.

In my mind the Switch 2 is going to be the amazeballs Nintendo system.

I have no problems recommending the Switch to people, but Sony's console has amazing games, and you are overlooking so many good games it's pointless to even really make the argument. It's too obvious anyway. And please stop acting like Zelda is not just another open world game. Because it is. It just does things a bit differently and steals from the right games.

Ninty puts out scores of exclusives. So much so they didn't even put out a Zelda for Wii U. Just loads of them!

iJack

Banned
I'd highly recommend a PS4 and actually a Nintendo 3DS for the Nintendo games. That's the set I use, at least. Exclusive PS4 games are way too good to not get one, at least for the type of games I'm interested on. But I guess that it's more like a personal preference thing.

RossoneR

Banned
Ps4 now and switch in next 18 or 24 months. Ps4 has more high quality exclusives and more games which s obvious. Switch has zelda, mario, splatoon...few average smaler games and 90% of other games re indies and multiplats. Also do you play mp? Biggest multiplat player count is on ps4 including pc. Also there wont be another zelda or 3d mario in next few years for sure. So you wont be late for singleplayer games.

Switch s way too much expensive for what it offers now. I d wait holiday 2018 for switch.

Top Bottom