• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Point |FIG| Sci-fi horror "Cthulhu-COM" from creator of original X-COM

Update: Funded.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuN9g502cYM

Ends June 8. Game will come out on Steam and GOG. Running on Unity.

Introduction said:
Phoenix Point is the new strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series. It features turn based tactics and world based strategy in a fight against a terrifying, alien menace.

An unusual virus discovered in melting permafrost excites the scientific community. It has a massive genome, and only 1% of its genes match anything in existing databases.

“What the hell is going on with the other genes?” asks researcher Jean-Michel Moreau. “This opens a Pandora’s box. What kinds of discoveries are going to come from studying the contents?”

The seas transform in something totally alien. Then the mutagens began to invade the land via an airborne microbial mist.

2057 - Present day

The human population has been decimated. Survivors gather in isolated havens spread throughout the world. A few factions control most of the havens and resources, but they have radically contrasting ideologies and guard deep secrets.

Phoenix Project

The Phoenix Project is a worldwide organisation designed to be activated when the world is in peril. You control one cell of the organisation, gathering some of the world’s best scientists, engineers and soldiers. After your cell is activated, you realise that you have no contact with any other cells. You need to find out what happened to them.

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

original.gif

Why Fig? said:
We have been working on Phoenix Point for a year, and we have a playable tactical battle system with great AI. We have started on the geoscape and large scale monsters. In order to realize our vision of a high quality, deep strategy game by the end of 2018 we need to expand our team. All the Fig funds will be used to build content and enhance the quality of the game.

About Snapshot Games said:
Snapshot Games Inc. was established in 2013 by Julian Gollop, veteran designer of the original X-COM games, and David Kaye, the founder of Gaming Insiders. In 2014 we raised $210k on Kickstarter for our first project, Chaos Reborn, and we set up a studio in Sofia, Bulgaria, where Julian has been living for 11 years. Snapshot Games Sofia is a team of 9 talented developers with many years experience, including veterans for Ubisoft Sofia, Crytek Black Sea and other Bulgarian studios.

Collaborators said:
Composer John Broomhall composed the music for the original X-COM series, and he is going to work his magic for Phoenix Point.

Writer Jonas Kyratzes recently co-wrote Croteam’s The Talos Principle and Road to Gehenna. He is currently working on Serious Sam 4.

Writer Allen Stroud has previously worked on Elite Dangerous world building and novelisation, and was the lead writer on Snapshot’s Chaos Reborn.

Stretch goals said:

More at the link.

Recent X-Com titles have been handled extremely well. Gollop was fortunate to not see his child turned into something along the lines of Syndicate.

epmode

Dream game. I am so in.

Gollop did a great job with his last crowdfunded project. Looked and played great in spite of the lower budget. It was released quickly too!

edit: This is off-topic but it's a bit concerning to see Jonas Kyratzes mentioned without any indication that he's working on his own crowdfunded game. I'm not worried about Phoenix Point or anything, I just want to play the other game and it's been delayed for AGES now!

Instro

Looks great so far, I like what they've shown off. I backed during the early access thing, seems like it's doing pretty well.

Sulik2

Uhm, this seems like a literal clone of the recent X-COM games. I know he is the original creator, but the same camera, world map and art design basically. I hope he isn't sued for infringement.

Tovarisc

Uhm, this seems like a literal clone of the recent X-COM games. I know he is the original creator, but the same camera, world map and art design basically. I hope he isn't sued for infringement.

I wish X-COM reboots had as cool art design as this project has.

Instro

I would say the art design is very different, but regardless I'm not sure why this would be an infringement issue. I don't see a difference between this, and the multitude of other generes that happen to have similarly styled games.

Saw this and wanted to back either the $25 tier to get the game or the $50 tier to get the extra goodies. I have faith in the game itself, the only reason I'm skeptical of backing/probably won't is because I'm not sure how well it'll run on my laptop.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Backed as soon as I saw it, Julian Gollop is an amazing designer, this is going to be excellent.

Kitoro

This is my first time hearing of Fig... Googling, "Fig Crowdfunding" and having it auto-fill "controversy" at the end is a bit worrisome.

Any info on the reputability of this company, and their practice? The investment option seems a bit strange, allowing for unaccredited investors...

The Iron Weasel

Neo Member
This is my first time hearing of Fig... Googling, "Fig Crowdfunding" and having it auto-fill "controversy" at the end is a bit worrisome.

Any info on the reputability of this company, and their practice? The investment option seems a bit strange, allowing for unaccredited investors...

I believe it was started by Double Fine and they've been using it for their projects like Psychonauts 2. Not sure exactly how the unaccredited investors stuff works, but I believe it's on the level. I decided to pledge myself.

Sinatar

I believe it was started by Double Fine and they've been using it for their projects like Psychonauts 2. Not sure exactly how the unaccredited investors stuff works, but I believe it's on the level. I decided to pledge myself.

It was founded by Double Fine, Obsidian and InXile. The controversy was that they took investments on Psycho 2 before they were cleared to do so, that isn't an issue any longer.

Sinatar

Interview with Gollop over on Rock Paper Shotgun.

Gollop said:
One of the big questions on that survey related to multiplayer. I can see the appeal of controlling mutated lifeforms in tactical combat scenarios, but I’d much rather have all of the time and resources spent on the game be put into the singleplayer campaign, with its emergent scenarios and dynamic AI factions. Gollop felt the same and was relieved to see the survey results agreed. Very few respondents felt that multiplayer was important.

Gollop said:
That’s all thanks to the dynamic world. Other human factions are playing the game, driven by AI, in the same way that you are. They have their own short- and long-term goals, and they need to perform missions of their own in order to achieve those goals.You can work with them or against them, and in the early game you’ll most likely be helping one another because the alien threat requires a team effort to counter, but you’re free to turn on them at any time. And they may turn on you, and will certainly retaliate if you work counter to their ambitions or directly assault them.

Gollop said:
This all goes back to the way the aliens are constructed. There are different cores, which Gollop calls “chassis”, and you’ll see different ones in different parts of the world. Africa has a chassis referred to as the Sphinx, which is based on a lion. But because these creatures are mutated mash-ups, that simply means it’s a tough, fast quadruped. It might have longer legs, borrowed from elsewhere in the animal kingdom, or human arms to hold a gun (and that gun will have been stolen from a human faction). If a gun-wielding sphinx manages to obliterate one or more of your squads, the aliens will stick with it, pleased with its efficiency. But if you find a new tactic or tech that takes out a whole bunch of them, the aliens will adapt.

There’s a random element to those adaptations but essentially the alien AI is discarding parts that don’t seem to work and cycling in new elements to find a way to beat you. What this should mean is that the difficulty curve has peaks and valleys rather than a steady trend in either direction. There is a doomsday clock element behind everything, giving urgency to your actions, but Gollop wants to encourage experimentation rather than having people try to discover the ‘correct’ route.

NoPiece

As an X-Com fan (Microprose & Firaxis), this sound awesome. There is another good interview in Glixel.

The narrative and 4x elements sound like they could be great additions

I'm getting the sense that you're placing a lot of emphasis on a scripted narrative in a way that's true of other X-COM games.

Yeah, that's something I wanted to build on. There are different narrative strands and there are different endings to the game as well – it's something I wanted to bring to the genre. The different human factions in the game each have their own ideas about how to deal with the aliens, and it's up to you to decide which of these is the right one (or at least stands the best chance of working; they're all viable, though). So then you use a combination of alliances and conflict with these factions to achieve what you need to do to succeed in defeating the aliens.

Introducing 4X elements is a pretty major departure from games like X-COM. How are you integrating the conventions of that genre into the game's strategic layer?

So, it's integrated in several stages throughout the game. Early on, there's an exploration phase. Because human civilization has been reduced to very isolated settlements, travel and communication between them is difficult and treacherous, so you need to actually locate the other settlements. Then you can negotiate and barter for resources. You'll actually need to scavenge for stuff in abandoned military bases and factories, which is what most of the game's economy is based on. Once you make contact with all the havens, you then have to decide what to do with them. Often, they'll request assistance to fight against alien attacks, and if you help them defend, they'll give you rewards, like unique tech or new personnel.

So, once you come across the large factions, you'll need to negotiate with them on a more diplomatic level. If you form alliances, that will produce certain obligations, like helping them defend. It might also place you in conflict with other human factions. So that's where the diplomacy aspect comes into play, which is obviously a core element of a 4X game.

These factions are competing against each other for resources and have control bias or strategic AI. In Phoenix Point, they have different objectives, resources, and technologies, so it's very asymmetrical. And here you are, one tiny base amongst many other bases and havens around the world. And you don't have a lot of resources, but you do have access to the Phoenix Project's history at the start of the game, which gives you an advantage.

Anno

I hope the game can really capitalize on this part (from the RPS interview):

This all goes back to the way the aliens are constructed. There are different cores, which Gollop calls “chassis”, and you’ll see different ones in different parts of the world. Africa has a chassis referred to as the Sphinx, which is based on a lion. But because these creatures are mutated mash-ups, that simply means it’s a tough, fast quadruped. It might have longer legs, borrowed from elsewhere in the animal kingdom, or human arms to hold a gun (and that gun will have been stolen from a human faction). If a gun-wielding sphinx manages to obliterate one or more of your squads, the aliens will stick with it, pleased with its efficiency. But if you find a new tactic or tech that takes out a whole bunch of them, the aliens will adapt.

At 40% now!

In case anyone is interested, here's what Julian said on fig when asked about Time Unit's:

"It's a hybrid - you have a move and shoot action as standard, but you can use 'will points' to extend or add actions depending on abilities, plus if you spot an enemy your movement is stopped and you can react - either by moving or shooting."

Looks absolutely fantastic and all the writeups and what they've clearly taken away from the survey grant this the utmost confidence---they are chasing after wild tangents and myriad pivots, not a punishment treadmill as per, say, the general direction that Long War and such took.

Which is awesome for Gollop!

Will definitely be backing.

When the survey results were announced and said to expect "some major news very soon", they weren't kidding!

Just reached 45%

Have we ever had a crowfunding campaign where the gaf thread was so small but the campaign was doing so well? Disconnect feels weird.

HeatBoost

something kinda feels off about being able to fight off Eldritch abominations with superior weapons and tactics

I will refrain from making a crab people joke

something kinda feels off about being able to fight off Eldritch abominations with superior weapons and tactics

I will refrain from making a crab people joke
I've come to accept that "Lovecraftian" games, much like many sci-fi games, most often use the influences for cool enemy designs, weapons, and locations, and rarely delve into the substance of the genres.

$237k atm

$106k investors, $131k backers

Isnt it rare on FIG for backers to be more than investors? Or was that only the early campaigns?

XCOM 2
Xenonauts 2

Now this?

Stop, I can only get so hard.

Introducing 4X elements is a pretty major departure from games like X-COM. How are you integrating the conventions of that genre into the game's strategic layer?

So, it's integrated in several stages throughout the game. Early on, there's an exploration phase. Because human civilization has been reduced to very isolated settlements, travel and communication between them is difficult and treacherous, so you need to actually locate the other settlements. Then you can negotiate and barter for resources. You'll actually need to scavenge for stuff in abandoned military bases and factories, which is what most of the game's economy is based on. Once you make contact with all the havens, you then have to decide what to do with them. Often, they'll request assistance to fight against alien attacks, and if you help them defend, they'll give you rewards, like unique tech or new personnel.

So, once you come across the large factions, you'll need to negotiate with them on a more diplomatic level. If you form alliances, that will produce certain obligations, like helping them defend. It might also place you in conflict with other human factions. So that's where the diplomacy aspect comes into play, which is obviously a core element of a 4X game.

These factions are competing against each other for resources and have control bias or strategic AI. In Phoenix Point, they have different objectives, resources, and technologies, so it's very asymmetrical. And here you are, one tiny base amongst many other bases and havens around the world. And you don't have a lot of resources, but you do have access to the Phoenix Project's history at the start of the game, which gives you an advantage.

THIS IS EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED. I always wanted some type of faction/diplomatic aspect of XCOM where you really have to deal with being a rebel/struggling force. OMG so fucking in

$237k atm

$106k investors, $131k backers

Isnt it rare on FIG for backers to be more than investors? Or was that only the early campaigns?

7 of the funded games have far more investors and 5 are roughly 50/50, with none having far more backers.

This is veering toward 50/50 at the moment which isn't unusual.

Top Bottom