• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V demo version available now

ChrisD

So uh, where can I check my Guild's name? I kind of came up with one on the spot along with the idea of naming the leader something akin to the Guild (so it's like it's named sort of after them). But I forgot what said Guild name was by the time I got through making some other characters I've had in mind... I can't finish my team until I find that name. ;-;

E: okay so after spending a lot of time searching for something I can't find, I stumbled across the fact that you can rename people whenever. That works well enough. Will just name the character TBA, lol

ChrisD

Oh wow, I can rename my summoned pets so it's more fun than "Hound" and "Hawk"
That's awesome!

Yeah, that's a really great feature! Kind of makes me want to keep them one of my Team as a Rover instead of swapping them to Pugilist now that I've unlocked Alter Class, as I originally planned.

I was laughing so hard at the turtle event. That's all I'll say on it. That and, make sure your volume is turned up for it hahah.

Chaos17

This is a gem, that's what j-rpg should be (the systems, the balance, each class feels unique, etc) and mostly the enemies are more animated than the new Square game which over use effect to sell itself, lol. Ethrian odyssey don't need it, it show the solid foundation of evolved j-rpg!! Thanks Atlus! :D

BigBrotherT

Neo Member
I've been spoilt by Story mode in the EOU games. I'm not used to being able to customise my party. As such I've just had my ass handed to me repeatedly on Floor 1.

I love the game though, will defo keep me busy until Metroid arrives.

spiritfox

Is the demo hanging for anyone while creating new system data or is it just me? I restarted a minute ago, down to 29 uses, and now it's still either hanging or taking who knows how long.

Wait...never mind, Atlus decided the continue prompt in text boxes has to be this animated flower, petals fading in and out, which looks more like a loading indicator. I hope (and can assume) the text localization's far better than this.

LOL I just got tricked by this too.

Lanrutcon

I love my 3DS.

Also: Monster Hunter Stories is amazing. Try the demo, and know that the release version has 900% more things to do.

RpgN

The demo feels good, as if being home again. I do like how they tried to make EOV feel different with the races, new interfaces and the way skills are grouped. I only played briefly and will not continue further. Actually a demo is not needed for EO games once you played one of them.

I'm not feeling it currently, but that's because I'm just not happy with my party. And coming from EO2U (which I'm gonna go back to beating before EOV comes out) I really miss a dedicated aliment/debuff class. Everything in this seems a bit divided up.

Currently I'm going
Pugilist/Masuro
Dragoon/Warlock/Botanist

May get rid of Botanist and Warlock, probably have Rover and Harbinger (misama sounds fun).

I'll give this demo more time after I beat EO2U. Because the demo is effectively a good chunk of the first stratum I may as well beat it.

Hyoukokun

The demo feels good, as if being home again. I do like how they tried to make EOV feel different with the races, new interfaces and the way skills are grouped. I only played briefly and will not continue further. Actually a demo is not needed for EO games once you played one of them.
Since progress carries over, there's no reason not to play the demo if you plan to get the main game; this is just letting you play the first few hours of the game a month early. I know I'll be done with the main demo content long before the game drops, but I will probably spend some time leveling a few alt characters in my guild to get a feel for the other classes available.

Is it just me, or does the class skill tree feel pretty limited compared to old EOs? Is this a demo only thing, or is there a lot more emphasis on race skills?

PK Gaming

Team:

Fencer / Dragoon / Masurao /
Warlock / Herbalist

So far so good. The voice acting isn't remotely necessary, but it makes your characters a bit more personal
having party members scream out during that one turtle event made me laugh out loud
. Music is as godlike as ever, and the new clashes feel fresh.

What difficulty is everyone playing on?

Just finished 2F. How far can you go in the demo? I'm guessing up to 3F?

Went with
Pugilist/Masurao
Dragoon/Warlock/Herbalist
which is pretty much my standard EO party. Might change it up a bit when the full game comes out. I really want to have a bind pugilist, though.

Also, I helped out a small creature and
didn't get my Ariadne Threads taken
. What is this madness?

Is it just me, or does the class skill tree feel pretty limited compared to old EOs? Is this a demo only thing, or is there a lot more emphasis on race skills?

If you're just talking about the demo, that's just because we don't have access to the titles, or whatever they're called.

If you're just talking about the demo, that's just because we don't have access to the titles, or whatever they're called.

Titles? Is that a new system to introduce skills? Sorry, I'm familiar with the EO series, but haven't really followed V at all, so I'm not sure how the system has changed since IV and the Untold games

spiritfox

Titles? Is that a new system to introduce skills? Sorry, I'm familiar with the EO series, but haven't really followed V at all, so I'm not sure how the system has changed since IV and the Untold games

It's a new system where you get access to 2 specialization trees per class at a certain point in the game. Most advanced skills are locked behind that.

After a certain point in the main game, your character is allowed to pick one of two Titles when they are strong enough. Titles basically decide the skill tree your character will lean towards. For example you can have two Fencers, one focuses on combo skills, while the other evasion and speed skills.

It's a new system where you get access to 2 specialization trees per class at a certain point in the game. Most advanced skills are locked behind that.

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Is there a way for me to preview what the different spec trees are? A big appeal of EO for me is planning out party composition and synergy well in advance and watching my party grow into their power. So it's kinda weird to not have that information readily available at the start

spiritfox

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Is there a way for me to preview what the different spec trees are? A big appeal of EO for me is planning out party composition and synergy well in advance and watching my party grow into their power. So it's kinda weird to not have that information readily available at the start

GameFAQs. It's the Japanese version of course, but the skills are the same.

asagami_

Banned
I downloaded this! Between EO V demo and It watching at the night this will be an amazing day :) I love you can personalize your characters.

RpgN

Since progress carries over, there's no reason not to play the demo if you plan to get the main game; this is just letting you play the first few hours of the game a month early. I know I'll be done with the main demo content long before the game drops, but I will probably spend some time leveling a few alt characters in my guild to get a feel for the other classes available.

I definitely agree with this, when you want to play the game straight away. Perhaps I should rephrase what I meant, you don't need to play the demo to know how good EO games are. I won't be able to play EOV right away, but it has been pre-ordered. Also, the sound's quality is important to me, which is less in the demo. I prefer waiting and starting from scratch to enjoy the soundtrack properly.

I tried the demo to see how different it is compared to previous games. EOV has been touted as one with many changes.

Thinking of going with the following party:

Dragoon/Pugilist/Masurou
Necromancer/Shaman

I'm a bit concerned about the party's healing abilities however. Necromancer's healing abilities are limited and Shaman doesn't have much in the way of burst healing. What do you guys reckon?

Rutger

Banned

Dragoon/Pugilist/Masurou
Necromancer/Shaman

I'm a bit concerned about the party's healing abilities however. Necromancer's healing abilities are limited and Shaman doesn't have much in the way of burst healing. What do you guys reckon?

I have a Botanist because I really like having poison, but the series is generally pretty good about not making the traditional healer a must. I say go with it, finding ways around the things you're missing is part of the fun for these games, and you can always build a new character later on if you feel you need that.

tuffy

Give it a try and see what happens! If your level 1 team gets wiped due to lack of healing, just make some fresh level 1 characters and reorganize your team.

I tried Fencer/Marusao/Pugilist, Warlock/Botanist to start with and it worked well enough. The Fencer and Warlock had some good elemental synergy, the Pugilist shut down enemy attacks with binds and the Botanist kept my party upright with healing. I just had to open up with skills on every encounter because everyone's so weak. No way to tell how they'll work long-term, but they went out and came back alive as level 2s so they're working for now.

PsionBolt

So much customization! I can't get past the party creation screen!

Currently looking at a party of
Harbinger/Puglist
Dragoon/Warlock/Rover

With exactly zero consideration for anything other than looks. If I thought about skills, I'd never decide!

Dragoon/Pugilist/Masurou
Necromancer/Shaman

Healing is overrated!
My Rover and Shaman handle it passively and as a side effect while my Dragoon pulls the focus toward her.

So as a general concept, I think I'm going to go for a high risk, high reward party. As stated in my previous post, my party will be:

Pugilist/Dragoon/Murasou
Necromancer/Shaman

Pugilist and Murasou will spec into Impact and Blade Dancer respectively, which are the high damage/low defence specs for their classes. Pugilist does more damage the lower their health, and Murasou hits often and hard but has literally no defence.

Since Pugilist needs their health to stay low, Shaman will spec to Divine Hereld, which has healing over time to keep my teammates alive, but without killing the Pugilist's damage.

Necromancer will spec into Evoker, which allows her to summon wraiths when enemies and allies die (likely a common occurrence with this party) and can also sacrifice wraiths to revive allies.

Finally Dragoon will spec for full defence because Jesus Christ someone in this party needs to be able to keep everyone alive.

Given that I've generally tended towards efficient and well oiled parties, this will either be the most interesting and dynamic party I've played in an EO or a complete fucking disaster

Anteo

So as a general concept, I think I'm going to go for a high risk, high reward party. As stated in my previous post, my party will be:

Pugilist/Dragoon/Murasou
Necromancer/Shaman

Pugilist and Murasou will spec into Impact and Blade Dancer respectively, which are the high damage/low defence specs for their classes. Pugilist does more damage the lower their health, and Murasou hits often and hard but has literally no defence.

Since Pugilist needs their health to stay low, Shaman will spec to Divine Hereld, which has healing over time to keep my teammates alive, but without killing the Pugilist's damage.

Necromancer will spec into Evoker, which allows her to summon wraiths when enemies and allies die (likely a common occurrence with this party) and can also sacrifice wraiths to revive allies.

Finally Dragoon will spec for full defence because Jesus Christ someone in this party needs to be able to keep everyone alive.

Given that I've generally tended towards efficient and well oiled parties, this will either be the most interesting and dynamic party I've played in an EO or a complete fucking disaster

Im runnin the same party, i think i will have to rely on healing items more than usual beacuse at level 1 i have basically no heals.

ChrisD

Will the full game have level booster items like EOIV did? Can't remember the specifics, but I want to say after you beat a Stratum's boss you'd receive one or two consumable items that would boost a teammate up to a specific level (like 25, 35, 45, depending on the Stratum you just finished). I'd like to have a few more than five characters, but I can't do the grinding up multiple teams thing outside of the demo. Causes me to lose interest.

If there isn't such a thing, guess I can just get every Class to Level 10 here and then just decide what I like for the five.

Quadraxis

Trying the demo now with a party of:

Masurao / Dragoon / Pugulist
Warlock / Botanist

Almost got murdered by an ambush while dashing trough the mud, this is Etrian Odyssey alright XD. Still thinking about replacing warlock, but not sure by what. Game is fun as hell though :)

Lorcain

I like how EO games welcome you warmly into the experience by having 1F mobs 1 shot your characters lol. I've made a few trips back to the Inn already with a battered and beaten down adventuring party. We're pressing on to get 1F fully mapped.

Harbinger/Dragoon/Masurao
Rover/Botanist

So far my party MVP has been my Botanist. It would've been ugly without her.

Rover + Shaman handle all my healing perfectly. Once I can advance my Pugilist she'll go for binds, that way Rover has more to do during battles skill-wise.

Zweizer

Banned
Going with Fencer/Necromancer/Dragoon/Shaman/Rover for now. Seems like summons are the name of the game this time. Necromancers are actually pretty good at recycling Wraiths, provided they don't get hit.

Going with Fencer/Necromancer/Dragoon/Shaman/Rover for now. Seems like summons are the name of the game this time. Necromancers are actually pretty good at recycling Wraiths, provided they don't get hit.
Having an entire row reserved for pets is really nice.
I thought it'd be like 3 where the Ninja's clone would fill in the sixth slot but this way allows for way more fun party structures.

Lorcain

Having an entire row reserved for pets is really nice.
I thought it'd be like 3 where the Ninja's clone would fill in the sixth slot but this way allows for way more fun party structures.
I like how the Dragoon's "Bunker" goes in the pet row too. Having end of turn heals from just having a Rover pet out is great.

Top Bottom