• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spielberg's least favourite Indy movie is...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not surprising because he shits all over the ToD production in the DVD feature from over a decade ago. It's his "I know I messed up haha" life lesson that he's long ago admitted to and internalized. "At least I met my wife there haha. We joke about it all the time haha."

I think that's what he's really rating here... his experience of actually making the film. Meanwhile I'm sure the Crystal Skull production was smooth sailing.

How can he know that his disastrous experience on ToD yielded a rather amazing big budget b-movie.... while his workman-like effort on Crystal Skull is quietly the worst thing to happen to the Indiana Jones series since its inception?

Spielberg knows what he's talking about. Once you put away the nostalgia, and fanboy group think IV is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Especially when compared to II. Most of the problems people try to level at IV, II has more of in spades.

BocoDragon

Spielberg knows what he's talking about. Once you put away the nostalgia, and fanboy group think IV is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Especially when compared to II. Most of the problems people try to level at IV, II has more of in spades.

Personally I don't even evaluate II as a normal film. It's a big budget exploitation flick.... lurid thrills, shocking murders (the flaming shush kebab), hilariously inappropriate violence for a family film (like the heart ripping scene), scary Orientalist visions of culture and religion, chilled monkey brains.... Is it a bad movie? Oh I don't know. Maybe. But I really don't care, it's so much fun.

Meanwhile Crystal Skull actually wants me to evaluate it as a normal popcorn flick. And it's kind of a middle of the road one of those.

Mr. Sam

I'm one of those weird guys that isn't really a fan of any of them. I'm not even sure which one Temple of Doom is. The one with Short Round? Sure.

I started hating 2 a lot more over time. As a Hindu it's extra cringe to watch now. 4 is cringe as well but nowhere near as much as 2 for me. I can even accept the monkey swinging over the blatant racism

BocoDragon

I started hating 2 a lot more over time. As a Hindu it's extra cringe to watch now. 4 is cringe as well but nowhere near as much as 2 for me. I can even accept the monkey swinging over the blatant racism

I don't blame you for this... it's pretty bad on this front. I think the movie was actually banned in India?

Dead Guy

I mean I guess TOD does have Willie in it but it's still miles ahead of 4 which is objectively the worst one.

I actually don't mind 4

BocoDragon

I'm 23 and I saw Crystal Skull when I was only 14. Came out almost 10 years ago already. Time flies

He's old and hasn't done the math about the passage of time. I had the same reaction to seeing "Crystal Skull, absolutely loved it as a kid", but I paused and realized I'm over 30 haha.

Of course he'd say that. I bet he also loved his pal's Episode 1.

Weird racist shit aside, Temple of Doom is one of the most immaculate examples of his directing style. Just brilliant, despite the horrifying screeches of the lead actress.

Temple of Doom > Tintin > Last Crusade > Raiders >>> Crystal Skull

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the actual fuck

Of course he'd say that. I bet he also loved his pal's Episode 1.

Weird racist shit aside, Temple of Doom is one of the most immaculate examples of his directing style. Just brilliant, despite the horrifying screeches of the lead actress.

Temple of Doom > Tintin > Last Crusade > Raiders >>> Crystal Skull

you mean Spielberg's wife? :3

keuja

I don't even consider Crystal skull as an Indiana Jones movie so this is fine by me. I still love temple of Doom though.

WillyFive

Spielberg was going through the worst time of his life making ToD, of course he will hate it. That's also why the movie is a masterpiece, it's pure anger and emotion in film form, the best example of his directing skills for a terrifying and exciting action movie.

Gastone

Sorry Spielberg, but you're wrong. Doom is awesome and i've watched it several times. It's not as good as Raiders or Crusade, but still very much entertaining.

Chilled monkey brains

He's entitled to his opinion. I disagree naturally. To me it's really Raiders and everything else because Raiders is just an amazing movie from start to finish. The others have their high points but pale in comparison.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
When the thread title said his least favorite Indy movie, I was hoping to hear about his least favorite indie movie. Thought I'd get to see him trash Safety Not Guaranteed or something.

Elandyll

Banned
All Indy movies became worse over time and sequels.

Doom was still all right imo, but Raiders is goat.

3 and specially 4 are bad.

BocoDragon

When the thread title said his least favorite Indy movie, I was hoping to hear about his least favorite indie movie. Thought I'd get to see him trash Safety Not Guaranteed or something.

Damn.

RocknRola

1>>>>>>>3>>>>>>>2

We do not talk about 4.

sJfLz.gif

This is correct and factual. Well, almost.

I'd say 3 is pretty darn good on it's own merits, so I'd put it equal to 1. In any case, 2 is the worst of ALL 3 MOVIES by far.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's 1 > 3 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4.

Everyone knows that.

I'd even accept arguments switching 3 with 2.

You mean switching 1 and 3.

I'd argue Crusade is better than Ark.

Chuckie

I remember as a kid I loved it the most. Probably because of the fucked up dinner and the sacrifices.

Have never rewatched them since though.

Edit: Wait...I did see that one with the hot Nazi girl a couple of months ago.

I agree. Temple of Doom is worse than Crystal Skull.

I actually enjoyed the entire first 2/3 of CS, the humor and overall tone was entertainingly classic Indy over ToD. And escaping a nuke is not much more silly than escaping an airplane via inflatable raft or shielding yourself from a gas explosion with an old tomb. The alien shit was silly, but so is trying to stop Nazis from weaponizing biblical relics. I'm not saying the movie was "good" - we are comparing two lower tier Indy movies here. But I have to defend CS every time it's compared to the Star Wars prequels. Those were waaaaaaay worse.

emalord

4 fails on almost every level: casting, writing, story, green-screen stuff, characters, arc
Most of all it fails to transmit a sense of adventure, and Danger, and exploration

2 is a silly take on Indy for a younger audience and fails on smaller level than 4
At least I felt adventure and danger

If you don't count Indy 4 (i think it does not exist), Spielberg is right.
When I first read the title I was like "yeah it's gonna be temple of doom. That's pretty easily the weakest one".

I had completely forgotten crystal skull ever happened. Wish I could go back to a few minutes ago

The worse out of three, because there has never been a fourth part and there will never be ... Why do people keep remembering me that it exists? Every time I manage to forget it somebody has to remind me. That shit gave me PTSD. My reaction was exactly the same as in the South Park episode. They raped Indy.

south-park-indy2.jpg

Even being the least liked, it's still a damn funny movie, and the first Indy I ever saw. The feast, the bugs, KaliMAAAAA, the minecarts... As a little kid, that thing was on par with The Goonies for awesomeness.

JB1981

Tried to watch it again recently when all the movies were on Amazon and I couldn't even finish it, despite it being my favorite of the bunch as a child

Solo

The biggest mystery of the Indy fandom to me is the need to even bother ranking 2-4 when they are so far below Raiders that it doesn't even matter what order you cobble them into.

If you don't count Indy 4 (i think it does not exist), Spielberg is right.

Doom is better than Crusade. But I revisited 4 recently and it's truely not that bad. Once they leave America it becomes a weak rehash, but there's some good stuff in there. Idk why I thought Ford was too old when that came out, he looks like a young man compared to now.

Africanus

It's my least favorite too.

The opening is amazing, from the logo to "Nice try, Lao Che!" is pretty damn excellent, but the continued presence of Short Round and Willie are just blights on the film, give or take a moment or two.

The movie begins as a better movie than it ended up being.
That plane could have gone anywhere!
He could have escaped by car to it on his own.

Top Bottom