• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2017)

So, How to Stop Time was fantastic despite my early apathy.

So glad that I stuck with it as it's one of the best reads I've had recently. Matt Haig is a very talented writer - light on description but flows so well.

And now... I'm reading the third book in The Gentleman Bastards series - Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.

Read the first two in quick succession at the start of this year, and I really don't have a strong recollection of the specifics of the previous.

Luckily, it's feeling rather standalone at present (with explanations for the larger stuff), so loving it so far.

Edit: Also finding that a lot of stuff is coming back to me, which builds some confidence for when I return to Game of Thrones....

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
18655866.jpg
923693.jpg

These were the last two books that i finished. The sixth Extinction was decent, is kinda fucking insane that the tech depicted in the book is real and could potentially be used to create all kinds of stuff, it blew my mind. Now White Noise i don't think i liked it a lot....i didn't hate it but its themes kinda flew past me, so i was left with the plot that i didn't particulary care for. I think i may re-read it at some point because doing some research the major themes of the book are fascinating.

This is the second part of the Plague Times trilogy, the third part has just been released. It's a UK set series about the survivors of a flu-type virus that wipes out most of the human race.
TZptGEl.jpg

kswiston

I started book 4 of the Malazan Empire

This is the only fantasy series that I have come across where I can be several books deep into the series and still have no idea what the hell is going on for dozens (sometimes hundreds) of pages with the start of each new book.

This makes Game of Thrones look like Animorphs when it comes to convoluted lore and character webs. At least the fanbase is dedicated enough that there are some decent fan wikis out there.

Soulfire

Wildfire by Ilona Andrews came out today. It's got a horrible cover that does nothing to sell the book so I won't post it, but the series is awesome if you're looking for a Urban/Paranormal Fantasy series. I'm currently re-reading the first two before starting the new one.

Finished Dungeon Crawl by Annie Bellet last night. I liked the series at the beginning but at this point I feel like she's dragged it out too long and the books have gotten too short. It was alright, but didn't really do much for me.

51dYkl6o2XL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started this. I'm obviously aware of its reputation, and a blurb on the jacket says it's the most important thing written since The Book of Genesis. I kid you not. So far, it's Spanish Salman Rushdie. Waiting to have my world rocked.

frontovik

Banned
The_German_War_-_A_Nation_Under_Arms%2C_1939-1945.jpg

Excellent book on the Second World War featuring general and specific perspectives from ordinary German soldiers and civilians who participated in the conflict.

fakefaker

Finished the epic Shogun by James Clavell last night and despite a couple faults, it's an incredible book.

Heading on to a historical murder mystery now with A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee.

31348221.jpg

Peter Watts' Blindsight. Bleak, hard sci-fi. An excellently written first contact story that dives deep into biology and the mind in particular. Good stuff.

Dec

I'm finishing The Fellowship of the Ring then reading Age of Swords since that just came out.

Then I'll return to LOTR or maybe read The Legion of Flame.

Some good stuff out recently.

Is it Summer? Is that why the thread is creeping along like it's wounded?
Yeah it's cyclical. It's at it's slowest now and will build starting in October until it's peak in Jan/Feb and then goes down again. (I was nerdy enough to chart previous years post counts at some point last year)

Pau

Just finished:

Not only goes through women's treatment and representation in media, but also does a good job of giving a rundown of how the media treated feminist since the end of World War II. Sadly, they are all almost all the same arguments you hear today.

Starting :

First Robin McKinley book I'm read with a male protagonist. Well, so far.

aravuus

Trying to get into

23909755.jpg

Really not grabbing me like the first one did. The protagonist switch was not a good decision in my opinion, Mulaghesh is just goddamn boring.

The book itself is still okay. I'm like 5 chapters in already and cba to try and find something new to read so whatever, I'll finish this over the next week or two.

Number45

DO IT. (a bit biased, as it's my favorite novel and I've read it twice)
I'm close to finshing my current book, I'll probably start it after that. I struggled with the logistics of constantly referring to notes on the Kindle which is why I stopped in th end.

I'm close to finshing my current book, I'll probably start it after that. I struggled with the logistics of constantly referring to notes on the Kindle which is why I stopped in th end.

My 2nd read was on Kindle, and I didn't think they were that hard to deal with. I also know nothing about the Kindle's OS and e-book formatting, so I don't know if there's various combinations of that come into play...of course when footnotes have their OWN footnotes...yeah.

I finished Howl's Moving Castle the other day. It was vastly different from the movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed them separately. Howl was more of a dick and Sophie was annoying, but the novel as a whole was compelling. It was hard jumping from something as detailed as Pillars of the Earth to a children's novel like Howls moving castle. I had a hard time understanding the context of the situation since it was so simple and would generalize a lot.

Anyway, good book.
Now I'm on to Ready Player One.

TTG

Anyone familiar with McCammon's Mathew Corbett series?

I was recently stuck at a car dealership for 8 hours and it was the right kind of thing. Not brilliant and sometimes weak plot wise, but I don't know, kinda like it. Premise is detective fiction set in colonial(1700ish) America.

Number45

My 2nd read was on Kindle, and I didn't think they were that hard to deal with. I also know nothing about the Kindle's OS and e-book formatting, so I don't know if there's various combinations of that come into play...of course when footnotes have their OWN footnotes...yeah.
I could read it on my iPad, that might help a little.

phaze

Wanted to make a foray into Murakami and I'm thinking about starting with the Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Good/Bad decision ?

phaze

Depends on what sort of Murakami you want. Deep surrealism or just shades of it.

Theoretically just shades but then I'm not at all familiar with his brand of it.

Wind-up seems to have some kind of WWII bits which should be right up my alley.

Sean C

7TxNTbS.png

I first heard about Thomas Cullinan's The Beguiled in the discussion around Sofia Coppola's upcoming film adaptation. At the time, I couldn't find any editions extant, but it's been reissued now (with, as you can see, an appropriate tie-in cover). It took me a while to finish this once I started, because I didn't find it all that compelling, but I powered through eventually. The setting (an isolated, largely abandoned Virginian boarding school) is well-done, and there's some good sequences here (I can easily see why somebody would think it had cinematic potential). On a writing level, though, the story is told through a multi-POV structure of the various teachers and students at the school, but most of the POVs are pretty samey to me. It's not like with, say, George R. R. Martin where the tenor of each character's POV is unmistakeable.

Finished Uprooted (which was ok) and 29. The Winter Fortress: The Epic Mission to Sabotage Hitler's Atomic Bomb, I learned a lot about Axis nuclear project that I didn't know about, and the joint Norwegian/British effort to thwart it.
Trying to get into

23909755.jpg

Really not grabbing me like the first one did. The protagonist switch was not a good decision in my opinion, Mulaghesh is just goddamn boring.

The book itself is still okay. I'm like 5 chapters in already and cba to try and find something new to read so whatever, I'll finish this over the next week or two.
She was one step behind with her every step while swearing a lot. "I'm too old for this shit" manifests as a person, it was ok when she was only a side character, but she doesn't have the depth to carry the whole thing.

Mossybrew

My first Murakami book was Wind-up and I don't regret it at all. Captivating read.

Same here. That book made me an instant fan. Though the downside is I've read three of his other books and while certainly good, haven't lived up to Wind-Up IMO.

Anyway I read Tana French's In The Woods maybe two years ago and it was fantastic, though for some reason I'm finally getting around to another of her novels - and I know I skipped a bunch, but I'll get back to them for sure, right now in the middle of

wO9ODnW.jpg

and really digging it. Generally I have a book going at work to read on breaks and lunch and one going on at home - in this case Wolves of the Calla which I'm also enjoying, but The Trespasser is so on point I am actually looking forward to going to work Monday to read more.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I finished Hyperion and loved it. Simmons juggled with different genres for each story and made them all work. He never outrights explains the terminology of his universe, but it gets explained indirectly as you progress through the stories. I'm still confused about the
real origin of the Shrike and whether he's a Technocore or human creation but I guess that's the point. I don't see why he would be a human/Ouster construct since he's out to kill humanity... Not clear why the Ousters wanted to willingly set him loose, since he kills Ousters and Hegemony folk alike.

The ending with them
singing along to 'Somewhere over the rainbow' holding hands was surprisingly cheesy though

I guess more will be explained in Fall, already have it ordered.

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

It's so fucking bad but I had nothing better to do with my life.

I bought that trilogy set. Started the first book and didn't get far into it. It was some of the worst written fantasy I'd read. I don't get how that first book sits at a 4+ rating on Goodreads. A friend of mine said that his other series (Black Prism) is better but is filled with plot twists. Even that rubbed me the wrong way. Don't think I'll be reading anything by Weeks soon.

I couldn't handle that book because I kept comparing it to Assassin's Apprentice and how that was in a different league altogether.

mu cephei

I bought that trilogy set. Started the first book and didn't get far into it. It was some of the worst written fantasy I'd read. I don't get how that first book sits at a 4+ rating on Goodreads. A friend of mine said that his other series (Black Prism) is better but is filled with plot twists. Even that rubbed me the wrong way. Don't think I'll be reading anything by Weeks soon.

I couldn't handle that book because I kept comparing it to Assassin's Apprentice and how that was in a different league altogether.

His writing has that compulsive readability magic. But it can only overcome so much! I got through the first two night angel books (hey I was on holiday) but couldn't face the third. The Lightbringer series really is very good, though, imo. Starts decent, gets great.

And yeah, Assassin's Apprentice is in a different league, it's demeaned by even being in the same sentence.

Dec

I don't think I've read anything by Sullivan. Recommendation on a good place to start?

Age of Myth or Theft of Swords.

Age of Myth is the beginning of his newest series that is currently unfinished. It stands alone quite well and book two just released. Thousands of years before Theft of Swords, it wont have direct links. Just historical names referenced in the other series.

Theft of Swords is the weaker book but it's the book that sets up the pay off that is the rest of the Riyria Revelations.

Age of Myth has a larger cast of characters and many more names dropped all around while Theft of Swords follows just two main characters entirely.

I really liked Theft of Swords. It has a nice old school feel to it with great characters. Hadrian is legit. And its technically two books in one! The pages just flew by for me.

I have a copy of Rise of Empire and Age of Myth, i'll probably continue with the Riyria for now.

I'm also gonna start Stephen King's IT. It's gonna be nice to get back to horror King after finishing up The Dark Tower. I guess i still have to read Wind Through the Keyhole but that's nice and short.

aravuus

She was one step behind with her every step while swearing a lot. "I'm too old for this shit" manifests as a person, it was ok when she was only a side character, but she doesn't have the depth to carry the whole thing.

Yeah, exactly.

The first book answered many of the mysteries of the world so I figured it'd be unlikely this would have any interesting mystery elements to it, but it almost looks like a murder mystery so far. I might actually end up liking this a lot more than how I initially felt. And it is still very pleasant to actually read. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom