• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... did we watch the same show? He had his own brother murdered with dark magic. He burned people on the beach alive as he thought it would help him win the throne. He was fine having his own bastard blood murdered to help his own cause. That was all way before his own daughter. He was a villain, an evil, self absorbed, asshole villain.

He had his brother killed to avoid the bloodshed of a impending civic war.

Nameless

While I ultimately dislike that he burnt his daughter, those last two eps of season 5 (5.09 and 5.10) covered Stannis' downfall so well.

It's just a constant series of setbacks for him.

Ramsay ambushes the camp, people desert
People starving/freezing, more desert
Can't progress due to the snow, burn Shireen
Selyse finally sees sense and realises what she's allowed to happen, hangs herself
Melisandre deserts
Marches on Winterfell with what little men are left, more desert as the cavalry charges toward them

Stephen Dillane gives a fantastic expression in the last shot of the Shireen burning scene

"What the hell have I done?"

Yeah. He finally commits all to the Lord of Light and immediately got bombarded by shit. He knew he'd lost and was nothing more than the poor fool who doomed his House when he marched on Winterfell, but he marched on just the same.

GmNgriv.gif

I never really saw Euron as a villain. Other than Joffrey and Ramsay (and probably the whitewalkers, but we'll see), I don't think there are any villains. Other than Jon, every major character in the show is doing what they're doing for their own personal gain.

Danny is going to cause the slaughter of thousands of people just because she feels entitled to the throne. Someone not on your personal good list does not mean they are a villain.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah. He finally commits all to the Lord of Light and immediately got bombarded by shit. He knew he'd lost and was nothing more than the poor fool who doomed his House when he marched on Winterfell, but he marched on just the same.

GmNgriv.gif

I love this shot, and even more so after The Battle of the Bastards. It's a very similar shot but Jon and Stannis are in two completely different states of mind.

Yeah in hindsight it feels like an unnecessary thing to happen to the character. Jamie hasn't had to do much combat in a long time and his handicap hasn't been a story point for a few seasons. It's hard to judge though because it was a good shocking moment and a solid catalyst for some of his character development, but I think they could have achieved a lot of that development without losing his hand

How so? He cares about no one except himself and Cersei and his kids. And considering our introduction to his character is him pushing Bran out a window so he can continue fucking his sister, the audience wouldn't have much sympathy for him losing one of his kids who we don't even get to know at that point outside of Joffrey.

Losing his hand was much better. He is known as the best swordsman in the realm. It's literally the only good quality that defines him. It's the only good thing that people know him for. The other was being a kingslayer and oath breaker. When he lost his hand, he lost all sense of self worth and identity.

Why does Jaime need both hands at this point in the story? He can fight well enough with one hand and can command an army well. The Mountain has basically taken up the role of the ultimate physical adversary on the Lannister's side.

GmNgriv.gif

Amazing character, amazing actor.

Gnome

He did it to avoid losing, not to save lives.

Still ended up being a daughter-burning loser, though.

He did it for both. Renly had gathered his forces from the Stormlands and the Reach (via marriage to Margaery). With Renly removed, most of the Stormlands fiefs would join Stannis and bolster his army so he could try to take King's Landing.

However, because Loras loved Renly, he took the Reach to join the Lannisters instead.

And I've already talked about what I think of him burning Shireen, I don't need to reiterate it again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What's even more amazing is that he's gone on record saying that he had no idea what was going on and that D&D did very little to explain anything to him.

Talk about doing so much with so little.

Yeah, no wonder you never see him in comic con or whatever, dude probably never watched a single episode. Then you compare him to people like Davos' actor who watches the show with his daughter and knows all about the show and it's characters.

What's even more amazing is that he's gone on record saying that he had no idea what was going on and that D&D did very little to explain anything to him.

Talk about doing so much with so little.

He also doesn't watch the show because it's too brutal for him.

He really did do an amazing job for something he probably did not even enjoy.

He also doesn't watch the show because it's too brutal for him.

He really did do an amazing job for something he probably did not even enjoy.
He truly was the perfect Stannis.

We did not deserve him.

The daughter burning scene stank of the writers needing to villify Stannis before killing him off so viewers would dislike him. Guess it worked.

Not much older, they were both born right at the end of Robert's rebellion.

Actually, Jon is almost a year older than Dany, his conception caused Robert's Rebellion, and Dany was born after it was over.

Jon is also older lol.

Dany: "you've got to respect me, I'm your aunt!"

Jon: "I'm older than you so how about no."

one year older is more than I thought, I was thinking it'd be an age difference similar to him and Robb.

Yeah in hindsight it feels like an unnecessary thing to happen to the character. Jamie hasn't had to do much combat in a long time and his handicap hasn't been a story point for a few seasons. It's hard to judge though because it was a good shocking moment and a solid catalyst for some of his character development, but I think they could have achieved a lot of that development without losing his hand

No. Factually incorrect assessment.

There's literally nobody else who is gonna go out there and kill people for Cersei at this point, so Euron is pretty pivotal right now. Only two other guys who could really go out and get things done in a villain role would be Tarly and The Mountain, and the latter really needs to be focused on keeping Cersei alive. Tarly...we're not even sure if he knows what side he's on yet.

Yea Cersei needs an ally who's out there fighting battles for her. Sure Randyll Tarley can be that guy, but she's gonna need more help. I just don't like how Euron is the psycho of the week.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Jon is older than Dany?

So was Jon?

Yeah I thought at the point that Ned went to the tower and got baby Jon, the rebellion was more or less done. Rhaegar was already dead, Jaime had killed the Mad King, etc. I also thought Dany and Viserys were already born at that point and were rushed out of Westeros and put into hiding for their safety during the rebellion. Obviously Dany would have to have been born before the rebellion is done because she is the Mad King's daughter. She can't have been born after he's dead.

EDIT: Yeah I just watched the Tower scene again and Ned says both Rhaegar and the Mad King are already dead. That makes Dany a bit older than Jon.

I assumed that Jon was born a little before the Sack of King's Landing, and Dany was born after at Dragonstone... still probably pretty close though.

Edit: Oh nevermind I guess, didn't remember Ned saying that

Nope, Ned sacked kings landing then went to the Tower of Joy.

Jon was born before Dany. I'm guessing Jon was born shortly after KL fell to the usurper, and then Dany was born quite a few months later at Dragonstone. Also, Ned didn't sack King's Landing it was Tywin. Had Ned done the sacking, Prince Rhaegar's children and his wife Ellia would not have been killed.

Jombie

There's literally nobody else who is gonna go out there and kill people for Cersei at this point, so Euron is pretty pivotal right now. Only two other guys who could really go out and get things done in a villain role would be Tarly and The Mountain, and the latter really needs to be focused on keeping Cersei alive. Tarly...we're not even sure if he knows what side he's on yet.

That's kind of the issue. He's exists in the show for the sole purpose of creating more drama between Dany and Cersei.

Jon was born before Dany. I'm guessing Jon was born shortly after KL fell to the usurper, and then Dany was born quite a few months later at Dragonstone. Also, Ned didn't sack King's Landing it was Tywin. Had Ned done the sacking, Prince Rhaegar's children and his wife Ellia would not have been killed.

i thought those were the book dates.

Volimar

The Lord of Light may very well be evil, but he benefits from not having his worshippers slaughtered. Something tells me the white walkers aren't interested in a Fire God. So for now his interests align with those trying to stop them. If it leads to more people worshipping him, well that's icing on the cake.

i thought those were the book dates.

Yeah you can't really hold that as gospel for the show given that some characters were aged up.

Ishan

plz tell me youve all seen the jon and dany shipping memes doing the rounds on the internet.... some of them are so funny. Lets just say ppl have found a new play on jon's aim for dragonglass.

Rolfgang

Stan was dead to me the moment he burned his daughter. So many horrible things in this show but this was by far the worst.

Blowing up your uncle, nephew, daughter-in-law (and her brother and father), loads of religious people, alongside killing a big part of the city's population (including your own nobles) ánd directly causing the suicide of your own and last remaining child is imo pretty worse than that.

WriterGK

Blowing up your uncle, nephew, daughter-in-law (and her brother and father), loads of religious people, alongside killing a big part of the city's population (including your own nobles) ánd directly causing the suicide of your own and last remaining child is imo pretty worse than that.
For me its not.

valkyre

I don't agree at all. I don't need to see Euron tailing them and telling his men that they'll ambush them at night. Again I find it way more believable that an experienced sea pirate can ambush unsuspecting boats in the dead of night, than Jon standing in the middle of a thousand horse sandwich and walking out.

You cannot have an entire armada of ships ambushing another armada of ships unless we are talking about a crew of completely incompetent and blind sailors.

They are ships. They are slow, you can see them from miles away, they need lights to navigate. Maybe you could ambush if the ships are hidden inside a big cove and the other armada passes by, but that again would be a mistake of pure incompetence, something you dont expect from seafaring nation.

Even in that case those ships wouldnt be able to just magically appear right next to you.

This scene was absolutely stupid and an insult to the Greyjoys.

Volimar

You cannot have an entire armada of ships ambushing another armada of ships unless we are talking about a crew of completely incompetent and blind sailors.

They are ships. They are slow, you can see them from miles away, they need lights to navigate. Maybe you could ambush if the ships are hidden inside a big cove and the other armada passes by, but that again would be a mistake of pure incompetence, something you dont expect from seafaring nation.

Even in that case those ships would be able to just magically appear right next to you.

This scene was absolutely stupid and an insult to the Greyjoys.

Did you miss all the fog?

valkyre

Did you miss all the fog?

Yes, clearly fog lets your armada follow the enemy 50 yards away undetected, lets you identify the specific ship the commander is in, and lets not forget, you can see them, but they cannot see you type of fog.

Yup 100% believable.

Sony

Nintendo
I'm usually not the one to nitpick stuff like that as I practically Always say "it's a tv/show movie", but yeah Euron scooby doo'ing his way to the ship where all the high ranking people are is pretty dumb.

I wasnt arguing if he was older/younger I was arguing he was born after it was over. Ned was at the sacking of Kings Landing (walked in on Jamie after he killed the king) then went to the Tower of Joy. The war was over when Jon was born. Lyanna vave birth to him after Ned killed Arthur Dayne.

Yeah I reckon. Then she doubled down and accused her own dead son of treachery. What a winner.

Re-watching S1 after 3 years, it's crazy to see despite Ned making awful mistakes, his values have transcended death and have kept the Stark name alive. Large contrast with Tywin, whom once he died, his house crumbled.

jett

D-Member
jon snow looked like he was reading from a book the entire episode, either kit is a terrible actor or jon snow is a completely boring and lame character.

Among the leads, Kit Harrington probably the worst actor, with Emilia Clarke right up there with him. Which is sad considering they're the main characters. That contributes to their lame/borefest status no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom