• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls 2nd Encore |OT| Launch Party (2012-still going)

Hold down the button you use to activate the cross to get the syringe instead. It was a change added to the game in Eliza edition I believe to allow you to save your syringe for a situation where you wanted to use it (ie. where you knew it would combo) while not sacrificing the benefits cross has in neutral.

Ravidrath

Is challenge seven bugged or something? It says to survive, but it's not giving me a success when I do it.

It seems to be. We've already got a fix.

Not sure how this got through all that Sony testing, because they really focus in on trophy stuff.

SerTapTap

PRetty impressed by the new story mode cutscenes, and Robofortune's story is really funny.

Also, bless Lab Zero for dropping the difficulty on Marie in story mode. She's the worst part of the game, like any non-human-sized fighting game boss.

Ogawa-san

I'm struggling to complete Parasoul'sthe drama gauge tutorial, the one with Parasoul's long combo.

Not sure if I'm too old for this, or if playing a 6-button fighter on a 4-button controller is too much. Or both.

Beats

Did a couple of the combo trials. They're pretty good and gave me a couple of ideas for the characters I use.

Just need to figure out more things to do with Squigly. I always tend to go for the overhead/low/throw when I want to get a reset.

AdaWong

For PS4/PS3 players that cant communicate, heres a workaround:
Download Playstation App on y'all phones and chat there

Ravidrath

Just pushed a patch live.

This is a "Day 1" patch that fixes Sony TRC things, and doesn't address Challenge 7 or any of the bugs discovered since release.

We've got a patch for all reported bugs that should go into testing tomorrow.

EU PS3 Robo-Fortune inexplicably delayed to 7/17, too. I don't know why SCEE always does this, but there you go.

Erigu

Regarding the latest PlayStation 4 patch...
- Fixed a bug where completing certain story modes would not unlock all of the associated art in the Art Gallery.
What was the bug, exactly? I completed all the story modes before the patch, and I'd like to know if I'm missing something, and what I can do to fix this (... hopefully not delete my save and start over...
Nightmare Filia 300% was pretty tough for a noob like me
).

VariantX

PRetty impressed by the new story mode cutscenes, and Robofortune's story is really funny.

Also, bless Lab Zero for dropping the difficulty on Marie in story mode. She's the worst part of the game, like any non-human-sized fighting game boss.

Yep. That and Marie is pretty un-fun to fight, because she turns the game into a bullet hell and follows none of the rules the game lays out for everyone else. Personally, I hate capcom even created characters like these in the vs. games.

Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the other OT, so hope you don't mind me posting in both.

In the long wait for SF5, I decided to hop back to skullgirls, a game which I honestly didn't give much attention to when it first came out. With the new characters and numerous streams resparking my interest, I preordered it looking to have it as my "secondary" fighting game (which btw, Ravidrath, good job on you guys for having unquestionably the best theme on PSN). Been having fun doing trials and just hitting training mode, also lots of reading on Skullheart. Basically, I was wrong about skullgirls.

I've decided to main Beowulf, I wasn't to interested in him when he was announced, but after trying him out, I really dig his move set and mechanics(Plus anyone with a BIONIC ARRRRMMMM!!! is good in my books). Which brings up my question, Beowulf's big problem looks like its getting in, and applying adequate pressure from a distance. He definitely seems like he needs a strong assist to really maximize his game plan. So I was wondering who do you guys feel would be a strong assist to help Beowulf break through the mid range to get on the opponent? I like Big Band and his rush punch assist, but with my limited knowledge of the game, I cant help but feel that I'm just missing some better options.

Tizoc

Pretty sure Trial mode is bugged, I did a few combos but the trial resets me to the middle of the stage.

Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the other OT, so hope you don't mind me posting in both.

In the long wait for SF5, I decided to hop back to skullgirls, a game which I honestly didn't give much attention to when it first came out. With the new characters and numerous streams resparking my interest, I preordered it looking to have it as my "secondary" fighting game (which btw, Ravidrath, good job on you guys for having unquestionably the best theme on PSN). Been having fun doing trials and just hitting training mode, also lots of reading on Skullheart. Basically, I was wrong about skullgirls.

I've decided to main Beowulf, I wasn't to interested in him when he was announced, but after trying him out, I really dig his move set and mechanics(Plus anyone with a BIONIC ARRRRMMMM!!! is good in my books). Which brings up my question, Beowulf's big problem looks like its getting in, and applying adequate pressure from a distance. He definitely seems like he needs a strong assist to really maximize his game plan. So I was wondering who do you guys feel would be a strong assist to help Beowulf break through the mid range to get on the opponent? I like Big Band and his rush punch assist, but with my limited knowledge of the game, I cant help but feel that I'm just missing some better options.

Is his trouble really getting in to begin with? You'll have to forgive me because Beowulf is not what I'd call a character that I'm too familiar with (haven't REALLY played the game since Squigly / the original PC beta years ago) but from my limited time with the character and against zoners I think chairless-crHK all but destroys any long range game. Its got the armor to punch through whatever projectiles are traveling across the ground and the low profile to dodge everything else. Being able to tech forward after the cHK gives you a guaranteed set distance that you'll have made on the zoner afterwards. While in mid range you obviously have w/chair jHP which covers a huge distance and has a hitbox thats out forever. I think a more pressing concern is being able to make his "get off me" (no chair crHP) safe (Big Band's rush punch would certainly do the job as well as any pressure based assist like Cerebella Cerecopter or any DP (Filia UpDo or Parasoul Pillar)). I wouldn't worry too much about there being any objectively better options for the character as BigBand has a pretty enormous toolbox of useful assists and his DHC options synergize well with Beowulf regardless. If Rush Punch doesn't work out for you he also his own DP as well.

i-Jest

BeoWolf is by far the most difficult CPU character I've faced in 2nd Encore. Also Robo-Fortune has some hilarious dialogue. It's so refreshing I don't mind losing whenever I hear it.

Beep Boop Meow, "I fight for my friends. Error, I have no friends". She says that second part in a mildly depressing way, it's hilarious.

So far I'm running Fukua and Valintine. Maybe I'll add Ms or Robo Fortune If I want to make a full team. We'll see.

I dint think Beowulf has problems getting at all. But yeah that Big Band assist helps him alot....well it helps anyone lol.

Shackzam has a crazy Good Beowulf team with Eliza as secondary anchor and BigBand as Assist material.

Tizoc

I'm still bummed that Umbrella and Blood Marie aren't playable characters ToT

Enjoying this game though but I can't for the life of me remember the chain combos :V

shaowebb

BeoWolf is by far the most difficult CPU character I've faced in 2nd Encore. Also Robo-Fortune has some hilarious dialogue. It's so refreshing I don't mind losing whenever I hear it.

Beep Boop Meow, "I fight for my friends. Error, I have no friends". She says that second part in a mildly depressing way, it's hilarious.

So far I'm running Fukua and Valintine. Maybe I'll add Ms or Robo Fortune If I want to make a full team. We'll see.
Fukua/Valentine/Robo Fortune is also what I've been trying out!
Robo's beam is the perfect friend for both. I'm diggin Fukua's drill attack as an assist. Great GTFO and extension tool. Plus its always nice to have lockdown. I kind of flip between Fukua and Valentine on point.Thing about Fukua is she also works great as an anchor due to her insane lvl 5 super reversing damage scaling on your combo and increasing the damage out put per hit with any combo followup you link into it. She's just a good team player.

i-Jest

Fukua/Valentine/Robo Fortune is also what I've been trying out!
Robo's beam is the perfect friend for both. I'm diggin Fukua's drill attack as an assist. Great GTFO and extension tool. Plus its always nice to have lockdown. I kind of flip between Fukua and Valentine on point.Thing about Fukua is she also works great as an anchor due to her insane lvl 5 super reversing damage scaling on your combo and increasing the damage out put per hit with any combo followup you link into it. She's just a good team player.

I haven't been doing team battles a lot. More solo than anything else, just to get an intimate feel for who I can groove with. Those three work well for me so far. For now I think I've found my team. I usually let Fukua take point though. I feel I can do more damage with her first.

Beats

Anyone want to play? ID is Beats00

『Inaba Resident』;171737768 said:
Has anyone had any desync issues with online?

Maybe once or twice so far? It's been good otherwise for me.

How's this game for noobs? I've never played Skullgirls before, but this has just launched on UK PSN today and I fancy giving it a go. Not a big fighting game fan so I'm definitely more of a casual player.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
How's this game for noobs? I've never played Skullgirls before, but this has just launched on UK PSN today and I fancy giving it a go. Not a big fighting game fan so I'm definitely more of a casual player.

You'll get your ass kicked online, but the game does have a fantastic training mode.

Anbec7

lol just one question I bought the game and a PS4 a couple days ago (the hype is real)
and from what I understand I can't play online without PSN plus right? then... yesterday I was just doing that... is there a reason? loophole? crazy SG magic?
I don't have the trial for plus either... so...

Nyx

Got the PS4 version today finally (thanks Sony EU) and it's my first experience with the game.

All I can say right now is wow!
Very cool art and amazing characters to choose from, the fighting itself seems fun too though I'm mostly just button-bashing atm.

Time to do some tutorials and challenges.

lol just one question I bought the game and a PS4 a couple days ago (the hype is real)
and from what I understand I can't play online without PSN plus right? then... yesterday I was just doing that... is there a reason? loophole? crazy SG magic?
I don't have the trial for plus either... so...

Dont new PS4 consoles bring a 1 month plus code or something like that?

So today I found out that Skullgirls online for PS3/PS4 isn't dead. Everyone's just in quick match for some reason.

Now someone play me. PSN : DiscoShark

IbukiLordSA

Picked it up last night with the EU release, thank you for bringing this to PS4, nice to play something different and refreshing again, PS3 broke and haven't bothered to get it fixed so I can finally get my Skullgirls fix :)

The theme would have been the cherry on top though lol

Ravidrath

Picked it up last night with the EU release, thank you for bringing this to PS4, nice to play something different and refreshing again, PS3 broke and haven't bothered to get it fixed so I can finally get my Skullgirls fix :)

The theme would have been the cherry on top though lol

Things fell through the cracks, and we're working to get the theme to everyone that bought the game in the first two weeks or so. Maybe longer because of the mistake on our part.

If you follow us on FB or Twitter you'll know when it's up, and of course I'll post in here, too.

Shengar

I want to play Skullgirls, but I'm still waiting for either sales or the 2nd Encore DLC or both. Or maybe I should just buy it on PS4 AND PC? I don't know what to do.

I want to play Skullgirls, but I'm still waiting for either sales or the 2nd Encore DLC or both. Or maybe I should just buy it on PS4 AND PC? I don't know what to do.

Just get it where you are most comfortable playing on, Just remember that all Playstation consoles versions have online crossplay with each other. And the game basically runs on any toaster PC.

Ogawa-san

Man, I hope the fix for Marie 300% is retroactive, no way I can pull it off again...

Also, is it just me or the game's super loud? I've set the volume down to 40 but the announcer doesn't have a control, so she YELLS EVERYTHING.

Ravidrath

Man, I hope the fix for Marie 300% is retroactive, no way I can pull it off again...

Also, is it just me or the game's super loud? I've set the volume down to 40 but the announcer doesn't have a control, so she YELLS EVERYTHING.

Sorry, it won't be retroactive. :\

And there is a bug with the audio levels that was confirmed after release. It'll be fixed in the next patch.

Unfortunately coordinating the launch of the patch in three territories on two platforms has made fixing this stuff take forever. SCEJ is much slower than the other territories, and we're pretty much waiting on them at this point.

Posted this in the subrredit but figured I'd post it here as well for more replies.
The trophy "Two Weeks". This is apparently unlocked by completing Marie 300% but I've heard its glitched and won't unlock. I've also heard that there is a patch coming to fix it. Is there any kind of estimate of when that's coming?

Second, the Beowulf related trophy "By the Scruff of Their Necks". Does anyone have ANY clue on how to get this? I've tried doing almost everything Beowulf can do at-least 200 times and nothing. The icons of the character specific trophies all have icons related to what you have to do to unlock it.
Beowulf's icon has him grabbing and kissing his chair.
39L1d2b52.png

This combined with the name "By the Scruff of Their Necks" gave me the idea that maybe it could be picking up Beowulf's chair by doing his slam onto it and certain amount of times, however, this proved to not be true after 200 tries. The fact that this trophy hasn't been achieved by anyone at all leads me to believe that its possibly glitched just like the Marie trophy. Any thoughts regarding this one?

Ravidrath

『Inaba Resident』;173176660 said:
Posted this in the subrredit but figured I'd post it here as well for more replies.
The trophy "Two Weeks". This is apparently unlocked by completing Marie 300% but I've heard its glitched and won't unlock. I've also heard that there is a patch coming to fix it. Is there any kind of estimate of when that's coming?

Hard to say.

It's in test, but SCEJ is very slow, and we need to update all three regions simultaneously on both platforms. So the challenge and delay is mostly in coordinating all of that.

『Inaba Resident』;173176660 said:
Second, the Beowulf related trophy "By the Scruff of Their Necks". Does anyone have ANY clue on how to get this? I've tried doing almost everything Beowulf can do at-least 200 times and nothing. The icons of the character specific trophies all have icons related to what you have to do to unlock it.
Beowulf's icon has him grabbing and kissing his chair.
39L1d2b52.png

This combined with the name "By the Scruff of Their Necks" gave me the idea that maybe it could be picking up Beowulf's chair by doing his slam onto it and certain amount of times, however, this proved to not be true after 200 tries. The fact that this trophy hasn't been achieved by anyone at all leads me to believe that its possibly glitched just like the Marie trophy. Any thoughts regarding this one?

Hmm, didn't realize they chose that art for the icon - it's definitely misleading.

When Beowulf grabs his opponents, he holds them by their neck - that's where the name comes from.

Similar to Ms. Fortune's trophy, it unlocks when Beowulf has held opponents in his grab for a X amount of time, combined, in non-training modes.

Hard to say.

It's in test, but SCEJ is very slow, and we need to update all three regions simultaneously on both platforms. So the challenge and delay is mostly in coordinating all of that.

I see. Sucks that it might be awhile but its understandable given the fact you need to update all three regions at the same time.
Hmm, didn't realize they chose that art for the icon - it's definitely misleading.

When Beowulf grabs his opponents, he holds them by their neck - that's where the name comes from.

Similar to Ms. Fortune's trophy, it unlocks when Beowulf has held opponents in his grab for a X amount of time, combined, in non-training modes.

Does it have to be with a specific grab or can it be any that puts Beowulf into the neck grab state?
Did around 40 matches of doing the Wulf Shoot, walking forward, and waiting for Beowulf to auto throw and I never got it. Is the time needed for the trophy to unlock just really high?

Top Bottom