• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS XL seemingly on its way out (Europe)

Mistle

Any interest I had in my 3DS post-Switch was entirely because the 3D effect can be really awesome. Really makes me sad that the tech seems to be gone for good. I remember years ago being really pumped that "in the future, are all screens just gonna be glasses-less 3D???". I never had sore eyes, headaches, anything. It just looked good!

Drain You

I will never understand why people don't like playing in 3D when they have the *New* model console. My brain cannot rationalize it

I have a regular New 3ds, and yea the 3D is leaps and bounds better than on original 3ds, but it is still not perfect. I also know an odd amount of people that can't see 3d, but thats neither here nor there.

Edit: I wasn't trying to sound like a dick

Yazuka

I will never understand why people don't like playing in 3D when they have the *New* model console. My brain cannot rationalize it

I have sensitive Eyes and the 3D puts a lot of strain on them.
After about 5mintues I get a headache that's out of this World.
Now would I rather play and enjoy the game or feel a lot of pain while trying to play.

Newk86

Hmm I wonder which will be the last game to feature 3D functionality then.

I think Culdcept: Revolt, Monster Hunter Stories, and *possibly* Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters still have stereoscopic as far as the recently released games go. Etrian Odyssey V? I haven't played the series.

I know that the Pokemon Ultras won't, and don't think Dragon Quest XI does.

Unsure about Radiant Historia and Strange Journey Redux. I'm guessing not?

FinalAres

I feel like 3D home devices went through a similar period that 90s VR did. It just wasn't there yet.

I think the tech will be revisted down the line.
I hope it will do because I think it's really cool. But I know a whole lot of people that just don't like 3D. I honestly don't think it's just a tech issue.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Glad I picked up a SNES Edition last Friday :)

... though I'm still not able to do use it, thanks to that stupid system transfer 7-day limit.

pooptest

What a damn shame. The 3DS' stereoscopic display is something that still impresses me today and will always impress me. It's damn black magic and it's omission from future Nintendo products will always be a negative in my book.

Breath of the Wild would have been jaw-dropping in 3D.

As impressive as it is, I found Toshiba’s full-size TV doing the same thing a little more impressive.

Paragon

I have sensitive Eyes and the 3D puts a lot of strain on them.
After about 5mintues I get a headache that's out of this World.
Now would I rather play and enjoy the game or feel a lot of pain while trying to play.
Have you tried reducing the depth? A lot of people I see complaining about 3D turn it up to the max right away.
I don't find that comfortable, but anything below the halfway point or so is.

As impressive as it is, I found Toshiba’s full-size TV doing the same thing a little more impressive.
I find passive 3DTVs much more comfortable to watch than autostereoscopic displays like those.
It works okay on the 3DS, but not at larger sizes.

Wonder if the SNES N3DS XL (itself a year-old release from Japan) is the last of the lot, then.

I've been playing Culdcept Revolt and it's reminded me how amazing 3D can be to even the least action-oriented games. it gives the HUD and UI so much breathing room - your eyes can easily distinguish between different "2D" numbers or icons on-screen, and different monsters or parts of the playing field. The 3D visuals themselves look great with the 3D effect as well, but the way the interface has been built for 3D is superb.

Just to confirm, New Style Boutique 3 does indeed not support 3D either. I just tried the game.

Wow, that's first party and the sequel to a game that had superb 3D. Really disappointing.

Samus Returns seems to be an exception rather than the norm, then, presumably because Nintendo knew that the most enthusiast 3DS owners would be getting that game, and thus they'd own 3DS models rather than 2DSes.

Top Bottom