• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

dude

dude
I'm quite curious about this game. I'll probably won't get to playing it this month (I'm replaying PoE w/ The White March), but I'll be looking at impressions and reviews very closely.
I'm a bit cautious because InXile track record has been bumpy for me. I've played 1-1.5 hours of the backer beta (I don't remember at what exact stage it was, but I think it was shortly after the beta opened to all backers) and wasn't blown away.
But hell, if this thing is as even close to what PoE did, I'll be pretty damn satisfied.

I haven't been this hyped for a game in a couple of years. Hope the downgrades and cuts haven't hurt it too much. I just need a decent followup to Planescape.

Have the Early Access version on Steam ready and waiting to be upgraded, so I can head back in and start over without making the same mistakes.

I'm definitely going for a Nano with strong Persuasion/Deception skills.

It's pretty cool going that route. That's the route I played a little bit in the early access just a couple days ago. You basically don't need to engage in combat most of the time. There was only one time (other than the intro part) where I was actually forced into a fight. And even that could be avoided just by not choosing that option in a certain area.

When are backers receiving their keys?

All backers were given the early access key a while back (not sure when), which upgrades into the full version tomorrow. So you can download it now and try it out. Saves transfer over.

I'm quite curious about this game. I'll probably won't get to playing it this month (I'm replaying PoE w/ The White March), but I'll be looking at impressions and reviews very closely.
I'm a bit cautious because InXile track record has been bumpy for me. I've played 1-1.5 hours of the backer beta (I don't remember at what exact stage it was, but I think it was shortly after the beta opened to all backers) and wasn't blown away.
But hell, if this thing is as even close to what PoE did, I'll be pretty damn satisfied.
PoE had a mediocre story, though. Hardly what we expect of a game carrying the name Torment

Jag

All backers were given the early access key a while back (not sure when), which upgrades into the full version tomorrow. So you can download it now and try it out. Saves transfer over.

I backed Bard's Tale and I'm supposed to get a Torment key, but I don't see anything on the site for it.

I want to start this right away but am too deep into Zelda hype to do it. Guess I should see the silver lining in it that there should be a few patches before I get to play.

Lister

Banned
When does the embargo lift on reviews?

Probably will wait until I finally wrpa up The White March before tackling this, but am excited.

Backed, but I'm going to wait on it. Zelda and Switch on Friday, and typically RPGs benefit from a few patches.

I didn't do Pillars until the full white march was released.

Sorry Numenera, I Kickstartered your tabletop version and I Kickstartered this but Hollow Knight has it's tiny little bug claws dug in deep so you're gonna be on the backburner for a little.

Buggy Loop

Can't wait. Sadly, it'll go on the backlog for a bit due to exams and Zelda.. but from what i played in the beta, i loved it (outside of you know.. bugs, which is what a beta is for). The lore and characters of the first area were already quite cool. I was hooked and then the end of the chp1 happened :(

Most amazing sci-fi setting i've seen in a long time.

Sarek

Probably will wait until I finally wrpa up The White March before tackling this, but am excited.

Kinda unrelated to Torment, but WM was great expansion. Especially Part Two. Everyone who hasn't played it yet should go play it right now.

Edge review summary shared in the other thread. Sounds like a Torment game
Ok:

Story

Intricate interweaving of storylines across side-quests. Challenges expectations about how RPGs are structured and how their stories are told. Example given is that one plot might task you with uncovering some information and whilst doing that, you discover something, which, reading between the lines might also link two other seemingly unrelated plotlines. Furthermore, the background of what you found might have ramifications for a third plotline and you can pick up any of these threads in any order.

Narrative feels organic and the effect is close to a well run pen-and-paper based RPG.

Combat

Not a lot mentioned - it's optional and only takes place in the context of Crisis, a distinct mode where the game becomes turn-based.

It seems that if you're self-motivated and willing to spend time talking to characters, doing side-quests, and uncovering story, you'll like it. If combat is you're thing, maybe not.

"Tides of Nomenera is about watching disparate plotlines, characters and ideas assemble in aggregate to form a vastly unusual world and, in its best moments, a philosophy - one coloured by your own actions and outlook. This comes at the cost of the most accessible aspects of traditional fantasy storytelling such as an obvious villain or clear stakes".

Avallon

RcYIcgE.png

Please fix OP.

dude

dude
PoE had a mediocre story, though. Hardly what we expect of a game carrying the name Torment

That depends on your definition of "story". It had a mediocre villain and made use of some lousy plot devices, that's for sure. There's also a sever pacing problem - We don't even know why the villain is bad until the middle of act 2. When people trash PoE's story, I feel like they're mainly talking about the fact that the story failed to build any emotional connection for the player the main storyline. But this is not everything a story is in those games, for me at least. The various stories in the game, as told through the quests (both main and side), companions and whatnot are excellent and some of the best writing I've seen in a game. They could be quite emotional and even profound.
PoE had severe story problems, especially in the main quest, but calling its story mediocre... I don't see it.

I'm not gonna derail the thread with a discussion on PoE's story, but if this game reaches the heights in writing that PoE did - Well then, I'll be happy.

Grym

I usually go a combat route if given the option, but it's sounding like I may be better suited going for a character that avoids combat?

Yeah if it at all holds to the gameplay that Planescape: Torment set (and from all accounts I've seen, it does), combat shouldn't be your focus.

German review from testplay warns for shitty performance on PS4. This is still the unpatched version but console players beware. Review praises the story (although it seems to be rather linear) and criticizes performance, graphics and combat (serviceable).

I usually go a combat route if given the option, but it's sounding like I may be better suited going for a character that avoids combat?
Talking was always the way to go in Planescape, but for Tides, the devs have said they wanted to make failure interesting (as in some of the more interesting paths might only happen if you fail), so a combat focused run might be compelling too

But personally I'm going to do my best to avoid as many fights as possible

mindatlarge

Interested to see how the PS4 version holds up to the PC version. Hopefully all the versions are solid. Probably will get this for PS4 if it performs well, if not, I'll go with the PC version.

mindatlarge

German review from testplay warns for shitty performance on PS4. This is still the unpatched version but console players beware. Review praises the story (although it seems to be rather linear) and criticizes performance, graphics and combat (serviceable).
That's certainly a bummer. Hopefully this can get ironed out with a patch asap, if they don't already have a patch ready to go day one.

Tempting to make my first run through this game a low-int run to see if they've also followed in the footsteps of Fallout/Fallout 2 low-int dialogue trees.

Interested to see how the PS4 version holds up to the PC version. Hopefully all the versions are solid. Probably will get this for PS4 if it performs well, if not, I'll go with the PC version.

Read 2 posts up.

Edit: Whoops, I read the whole thread and missed you responded to it already.

conclusion of the review (PS4 version)

++ Extraordinary, multi-layered story
++ Many small side stories
+ Interesting, accomplished setting
+ Quests with various solutions
+ Peaceful options in conflicts
- Hardly optical staging (my German is rather rusty, probably not impressed with the graphics)
-- Some annoying bugs
-- Serious performance problems

72/100

Will wait for the reviews to drop to decide if I will pick up my pre order or not, but honestly at the price it's probably worth it regardless.

swarley64

Have the Early Access version on Steam ready and waiting to be upgraded, so I can head back in and start over without making the same mistakes.

I'm definitely going for a Nano with strong Persuasion/Deception skills.

To be honest, this is confusing me... I only played through the very beginning, but my understanding is that Jack is the class to go with for Persuasion, etc, and Nano was focused on combat 'magic'. Is that not the case?

- Hardly optical staging (my German is rather rusty, probably not impressed with the graphics)
-- Some annoying bugs

72/100
Glad to see the positives from reviews are sounding like everything I wanted from this game

dude

dude

-- Some annoying bugs

72/100
Sounds good to me. But I've never heard of this publication before, so I can't really say.

Primus

It's hard to believe that we've finally made it, and Torment is only about 24 hours away. It's been a long-ass road from that Kickstarter.

Altazor

-- Some annoying bugs

72/100

the good things sound great, the bad things sound (in theory) fixable/patchable.

Lister

Banned

-- Some annoying bugs

72/100

This is going to hurt them a lot. If people are dropping the review scores due to poor console performance it's just... Man, In Exile, why you doin this?

Release a pristine PC version with all the backer content you promised, get money from PC gamers to launch a better performing console version with a little bit of marketing behind it, and maybe a more in depth UI revision (which you cna then retrofit back to the PC version), and things would go SOOO much better. It's been done before, by the likes of Divinity, and (I think, don't know for sure how it did on consoles) it worked out well.

Top Bottom